Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

Chuckler wrote: »
    Same bere, discussed privity but mentioned Sale of goods act 1980, s13 Defective vehicle at the start then went on about the exceception of agency to the doctrine of privity
    Forgot to mention section over defective product but did waffle about it! Hopefully tis in the bag ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

did anyone attempt q1 in the contract exam???

I did question 1,2,3,4 & 8! Question 1 offer & acceptance I think was it? Don't have paper with me

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

I did question 1,2,3,4 & 8! Question 1 offer & acceptance I think was it? Don't have paper with me

I did 1, 3, 4, 5 & 7 .....what was 1 again?

Why are we all still on boards!!!????!!!!????!!! Should we not be hitting the pub or has the FE-1 clique suddenly become more mature?:pac::pac:

Seriously, hope everybody did well. I noticed a lot of people walking out today. Not good. A well deserved rest folks until you hit the next of them (or better still - Blackhall Place!):eek:

I've a nice bottle of prosecco chilling and plan to binge on Netflix for the entire weekend....that's as much as my exhausted mind and body will allow for the moment hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Lovely feeling to be done, even if I'm not fully sure if I managed the magical 3 passes.

This thread has been a great help I must say. I know at least one of the Top 5 firms tell people not to look at it but it's been an invaluable resource to me.

Enjoy the weekend. We deserve it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

Figsy32 wrote:
    This thread has been a great help I must say. I know at least one of the Top 5 firms tell people not to look at it but it's been an invaluable resource to me.

Really? Why do they out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

jdbarry wrote: »
    Really? Why do they out of interest?

I'm not sure really. It was a "Fe-1 talk" and they said don't look, it won't help. As a committed boardsie I nearly walked out! :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Figsy32 wrote: »
    I'm not sure really. It was a "Fe-1 talk" and they said don't look, it won't help. As a committed boardsie I nearly walked out! :P

I think it's the idea that it can cause extra stress or panic at times! Particularly when everyone's reviewing the paper afterwards and you realised that you've effed up a question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I think it's the idea that it can cause extra stress or panic at times! Particularly when everyone's reviewing the paper afterwards and you realised that you've effed up a question!

I had that experience today with the contract paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Orlando146

The more I think about and get asked about these exams, the more sure I am that I've failed. I'm going to have c to start looking into other ways to qualify or other job options because I don't think I can face trying to get the magic three for a third time.

I'm in the same boat as you, already know I didn't get the magic three and don't want to face them a third time - I'll be sitting the exam for Northern Ireland in December - it's a bloody multiple choice exam which seems like a joke considering how intense it is for us in the South!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Lawexe2012

Orlando146 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, already know I didn't get the magic three and don't want to face them a third time - I'll be sitting the exam for Northern Ireland in December - it's a bloody multiple choice exam which seems like a joke considering how intense it is for us in the South!

What is the route for becoming one in NI? Can you then practice down here? God the south is such a joke!

Lawexe2012 wrote: »
    What is the route for becoming one in NI? Can you then practice down here? God the south is such a joke!

You would still need to sit the exams down here.

Actually, if I recall the very reason we have to sit the blimmin' things is that there was somebody who was from the North and wanted to practice in Ireland. At the time there were no FE 1 exams that you had to sit if you had your degree from an Irish university. But you did have to take the FE 1's if you were from some other jurisdiction. So this individual who was from the North and wanted to practice down here took a case and said that this was discriminatory that he as a Northern Irish person had to sit these exams when his peers in Ireland did not. And he won. So thanks to this marvellous fellow the FE 1's are now a cultural experience we can ALL enjoy.

Again, simply fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 effinnblindin

Good morning all! Now that the dust has settled a wee bit I would like to find out how possible it would be to sit and pass all 8 exams in one go. I sat three exams this time but am certain I failed two if not three of them. I have a training contract (with a firm I really like) that is due to commence in Summer 2016 so it looks like I'm going to have to tackle (and pass) all 8 in March. Is this almost an impossible thing to do? Has anyone passed all 8 in one sitting since the new tighter timetables came in? If so could I could you share your experience. It would be massive pressure on me seeing that if I failed just one exam my training contract would go up in smoke. Would I be better off just focusing on passing them in two or three sittings rather than inflicting this upon myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tired_Man

Good morning all! Now that the dust has settled a wee bit I would like to find out how possible it would be to sit and pass all 8 exams in one go. I sat three exams this time but am certain I failed two if not three of them. I have a training contract (with a firm I really like) that is due to commence in Summer 2016 so it looks like I'm going to have to tackle (and pass) all 8 in March. Is this almost an impossible thing to do? Has anyone passed all 8 in one sitting since the new tighter timetables came in? If so could I could you share your experience. It would be massive pressure on me seeing that if I failed just one exam my training contract would go up in smoke. Would I be better off just focusing on passing them in two or three sittings rather than inflicting this upon myself?

Hey effinbliddin,

I'd recommend having a look through Racquel's post on page 484 of the thread and the responses to that.

Cheers.

Tired_Man wrote: »
    Hey effinbliddin,

I'd recommend having a look through Racquel's post on page 484 of the thread and the responses to that.

Cheers.

But there appears to be only 148 pages on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tired_Man

But there appears to be only 148 pages on this thread?

Really? I see 492!

Really? I see 492!

Hmmm, how strange? Are you on a phone Tired_Man?

A solicitor in a nearby office sat all 8 at once. As far as he has told me you get marked at 40% pass rate if you do all together. He said it was completely do-able. And if he can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone who set their mind to it could!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

A solicitor in a nearby office sat all 8 at once. As far as he has told me you get marked at 40% pass rate if you do all together. He said it was completely do-able. And if he can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone who set their mind to it could!

40% pass rate? Is this in the rules? Do you mind me asking how you are privvy to this information?:eek:

Hey effinbliddin,

Cheers.

Hey Tired_man (I'm exhausted myself) I have 393 pages on this thread - what number was Raquel's post on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

40% pass rate? Is this in the rules? Do you mind me asking how you are privvy to this information?:eek:

Not true. I did all 8 in March. Wouldn't be in this thread if 40% was a pass. :rolleyes:

Sure it's anonymous marking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

You should only do 8 if youre sure you have the mental toughness for it. It can take be increadibly difficult if you can't handle the pressure. I doubt I'd do it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 prettylamp

This may have been a case when he sat them. My old mentor said something along the same lines. Apparently like 5 years ago they changed the exams and they made it a lot harder.

He is the second solicitor to mention a 40% pass rate BUT they sat them a long time ago -cud it have been an old rule??

He is the second solicitor to mention a 40% pass rate BUT they sat them a long time ago -cud it have been an old rule??

Don't get me wrong, the reason I ask is that if that is the case then I would give serious consideration to signing up to all 8 and only focusing on 3 or 4 of them. It would make getting the magic 3 much easier.😊😊

Actually, if I recall the very reason we have to sit the blimmin' things is that there was somebody who was from the North and wanted to practice in Ireland. At the time there were no FE 1 exams that you had to sit if you had your degree from an Irish university. But you did have to take the FE 1's if you were from some other jurisdiction. So this individual who was from the North and wanted to practice down here took a case and said that this was discriminatory that he as a Northern Irish person had to sit these exams when his peers in Ireland did not. And he won. So thanks to this marvellous fellow the FE 1's are now a cultural experience we can ALL enjoy.

Again, simply fabulous.

Nope - if you're qualified in the UK all you need to do is submit a certificate of admission to practice down here. It's especially easy for NI as land law is the same. https:// www. lawsociety. ie/Public/Foreign-Lawyers/Cert-of-Admission/

I sit corrected ☺

Lawexe2012 wrote: »

The process is really simple - you sit the 'institute exam' in December - this is a negative marked multiple choice exam covering criminal, land law and negligence/contract plus maths for some weird reason. If you pass that and get traineeship then it's the same process as here - start a 2 year traineeship in September. There is only 1 intake a year. Only downside is that if you don't find a traineeship by August you have to sit the exam again which is a dose (money making racket)

Once qualified you just need to submit a certificate of admission to practice in the south, this currently costs €300 - no exams needed

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Christy_C

So what do we think is going to come up in EU in March? JOKE - congrats everyone for sitting the exams. See you all back here in 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Again, simply fabulous.

Orlando146 wrote: »
    Nope - if you're qualified in the UK all you need to do is submit a certificate of admission to practice down here. It's especially easy for NI as land law is the same. https:// www. lawsociety. ie/Public/Foreign-Lawyers/Cert-of-Admission/

Actually, CK is right. It used to be the case the law graduates were exempt from the FE1s, until a northern law grad decided they wanted to be exempt too. Even though they don't do Constitutional law, there are differences with other areas, etc... :rolleyes:

Case was Bloomer v Law Society of Ireland. 20 years ago or so. Cheers, lads. Sound of ye.

(Abrahamson v Law Society of Ireland is an interesting follow up on legitimate expectations, fyi.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement