Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Where is the best place to park in Wednesday for these exams? I know it sounds silly but I am travelling from Kilkenny... Will there be parking available at the Red Cow Hotel itself..?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

^^There's plenty of car parking around the hotel itself.Not sure if there's a charge but I'd doubt there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

^^There's plenty of car parking around the hotel itself.Not sure if there's a charge but I'd doubt there is.

There's no charge for parking at the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

CRM1 wrote: »
    I have independent colleges up to 2010 if they're any good to you?

thanks but im looking for ones for october 2012/march 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aislingo55

This may be a silly question but are s160 disqualification orders ever examined? Cant seem to find a past exam question on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

Hi everyone,
    I have a question about timing for anybody who has done the exams or who has been advised. I'm currently studying for criminal and I'm finding that for an essay question I'd only be able to write 3 pages (of relevant info) max and I have the question done in 25 minutes. I'm concerned that this will be too little information but I am covering every topic and if I go into too much detail I'm worried I won't be able to remember it. Any advice on the amount expected of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Lily Belle wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I have a question about timing for anybody who has done the exams or who has been advised. I'm currently studying for criminal and I'm finding that for an essay question I'd only be able to write 3 pages (of relevant info) max and I have the question done in 25 minutes. I'm concerned that this will be too little information but I am covering every topic and if I go into too much detail I'm worried I won't be able to remember it. Any advice on the amount expected of us?

I have 6 of the FE's passed, and I have found that 3-5 pages has always been sufficient.

I always felt no less than 3 and no more than 6. For an essay just make sure you are tackling what is asked, a good intro, a main body of about 3 points on the area and a good conclusion.

For a problem there is no need to be spending paragraphs on writing out the facts of a case.....state the case name, the principle or point of law that was found, apply it to the facts and move onto the next case or relevant piece of law.

No need for too much detail at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LaLuciole

does anyone know would you have much hope of passing if you weren't able to answer 5 questions on the paper? has anyone ever gotten away with a pass on 4? hopefully should have enough covered but the memorising is taking longer than expected!

LaLuciole wrote: »
    does anyone know would you have much hope of passing if you weren't able to answer 5 questions on the paper? has anyone ever gotten away with a pass on 4? hopefully should have enough covered but the memorising is taking longer than expected!

If you read the examiner reports they constantly reiterate the need for you to be able to attempt 5 questions. If you only do 4 then it is possible to pass on 4 excellent answers, but it does seem rare.

I found that if I get in 3 good answers, a decent 4th and a good stab at a 5th then I usually scrape a pass. A good stab doesn't mean just attempting a 5th with no info, it just means a poor answer with little info, you should still be able to tackle a 5th with some sort of information - even if it was only 1 and a half pages or 2 pages with only 2 cases. A good intro and conclusion and tying those 2 cases well into the facts and giving a good practical argument may see you luckily get 5 or 6 marks, which may be the difference in passing and failing.

The main thing is, always at least attempt a 5th question.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

chops018 wrote: »
    If you read the examiner reports they constantly reiterate the need for you to be able to attempt 5 questions. If you only do 4 then it is possible to pass on 4 excellent answers, but it does seem rare.

The main thing is, always at least attempt a 5th question.

I would definitely agree. From the examiner reports it would seem like you would have a better chance of passing with 5 average questions than with 4 excellent questions.

If you go through past papers you'll notice that certain parts of a topic and certain question types come up quite frequently. If you're really struggling to remember lengthy topics you could try focusing on the more important areas.

• Advertisement

chops do you have recent examiner reports for tort and comp per chance? also what you leaving out of Tort? iv been studying it since half 7 this morning my brain is fried and i still feel like i know zilch!!

Thanks guys! think it'd be ok to just know these few inside out?

Incorp and docs; corporate personality; corporate contracts, ultra vires; directors; shareholder protection; share transfer; corporate borrowing/retention of title; receivership; and disposition..

Not sure my head will be able to handle much more but is there anything im being a bit foolish by leaving out? bear in mind that ive property to get a grip on in the next week aswel :)

Milkypops wrote: »
    chops do you have recent examiner reports for tort and comp per chance? also what you leaving out of Tort? iv been studying it since half 7 this morning my brain is fried and i still feel like i know zilch!!

I have about 4 hours under my belt today. But I plan on going right up till 11 or 12 tonight. Dinner break now, and will go to the gym later, other than that it's study around the clock.

I don't have them electronically, I could scan them in for you another time, just PM me a reminder later. They don't say too much anyway.

For Tort I'm leaving out a good few of the smaller areas such as liability for animals and fire, then trespass to land and rylands and fletchter, passing off (it came up last sitting), and I know medical negligence but I don't think I'm going to revise it. There could be one or two more areas I'm not revising but I'm concentrating on Company today so the above is just what I remember off the top of my head.

With regard Company, how are people finding it? I have the main topics covered well enough, but there is plenty I didn't cover very well (not usually like me for these exams), then there is the likes of capital maintencance, examinership, liquidation and receivership which I just noted the relevant legislation incase I'm stuck for a question and one of these pops up (although I think cap maintenance and examinership or one of those came up last sitting).

For Tort I'm leaving out a good few of the smaller areas such as liability for animals and fire, then trespass to land and rylands and fletchter, passing off (it came up last sitting), and I know medical negligence but I don't think I'm going to revise it. There could be one or two more areas I'm not revising but I'm concentrating on Company today so the above is just what I remember off the top of my head.

With regard Company, how are people finding it? I have the main topics covered well enough, but there is plenty I didn't cover very well (not usually like me for these exams), then there is the likes of capital maintencance, examinership, liquidation and receivership which I just noted the relevant legislation incase I'm stuck for a question and one of these pops up (although I think cap maintenance and examinership or one of those came up last sitting).

what about occupiers liability i kinda have the gist of it but what with it coming up in last sitting ...doubtful i think? think nuisance and trespass will both come up??

finding company ok i need to obviously look over again but i seem to have a general knowledge of the topics....what about incorporation of documents?? think i should know more than a basic knowledge of sh protection seeing as s.205 came up as a full in the last sitting?

what about occupiers liability i kinda have the gist of it but what with it coming up in last sitting ...doubtful i think? think nuisance and trespass will both come up??

finding company ok i need to obviously look over again but i seem to have a general knowledge of the topics....what about incorporation of documents?? think i should know more than a basic knowledge of sh protection seeing as s.205 came up as a full in the last sitting?

It's up to yourself but I think OL is one of the topics where you can never be sure that it's definitively not going to come up.

Nuisance does look due a run alright, and Trespass to the Person was very surprised not to see appear last sitting.

Company is actually going a bit horrible for me tbh. Hmm, I don't think there would be a full question on the incorporation of documents, that's just the memo and articles and the few cases on it, or are you talking about the Model Regulation thing? I saw a couple of sample answers on it but I didn't bother covering it. Company is scaring me a little, the only thing that is comforting me at the moment is that the last sitting looked to be one of the more difficult one's and it looked like I would have been able to have a good go at 3 of the questions and a decent go at another 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rickety cricket

My only really proud moment i can take from these exams was passing criminal with 3 1/2 questions answered... And passed with % to spare! What amazed me was i wasn't even happy with the answers. It was after this i lost all faith in the marking of exams. If Tort and comp were marked as easy as criminal and EU i would have finished a while ago... I hate these things, i hate them so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Equity can be very easily narrowed down by looking at the previous questions on a topic. I have said this numerous times, there seems to be only a few different types of questions that the examiner asks and indeed can ask for the equity topics (most of them anyway).

Thanks, that's what I'm trying to do at the moment, yesterday was one of those days I was having a mental block and a mini-breakdown!

Two weeks and they're finished, it cannot come quick enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Hi there

I am looking for someone who is taking exams in March. I am signing up for courses, but would love to find someone in the same boat as me and maybe sign up for 2/3 each and swap manuals etc.

PM me if anyone is interested!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

I have 6 of the FE's passed, and I have found that 3-5 pages has always been sufficient.

I always felt no less than 3 and no more than 6. For an essay just make sure you are tackling what is asked, a good intro, a main body of about 3 points on the area and a good conclusion.

For a problem there is no need to be spending paragraphs on writing out the facts of a case.....state the case name, the principle or point of law that was found, apply it to the facts and move onto the next case or relevant piece of law.

No need for too much detail at all.

Thanks Chops018, really helpful advice. Best of luck with your last two!

could anyone send me on the company exam from the march 13, would love a quick look at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 May92

Hey! For easements in property law, does the 2009 Act not apply to any easements until 2021 as a result of the Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2011? Did this postpone the whole reform project on easements or just the reform in relation to prescription of easements?

Not sure how relevant the 2009 act provisions are to a question on easements now and its confusing me! If anyone has 2012/2013 sample answer on it, it would be a huge help!

could anyone send me on the company exam from the march 13, would love a quick look at it!

Sent it to you there :) do you have any grids or prediction sheets for const, property or company? trying to locate some!

Sent it to you there :) do you have any grids or prediction sheets for const, property or company? trying to locate some!

iv grids for constitutional and company, il send them on there to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

May92 wrote: »
    Hey! For easements in property law, does the 2009 Act not apply to any easements until 2021 as a result of the Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2011? Did this postpone the whole reform project on easements or just the reform in relation to prescription of easements?

Not sure how relevant the 2009 act provisions are to a question on easements now and its confusing me! If anyone has 2012/2013 sample answer on it, it would be a huge help!

From what I can gather this is in relation to acquisition of easements by prescription as well as those acquired by deed that are not registered ie easements over unregistered land. 2009 act brought in a time period within which to register the easement with the property registration authority... originally was 3 years but civil law act 2011 extended this to 1/12/2021. Now if it is not registered by 2021 then the acquisition time has been extinguished and must begin again ie 12 years. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 May92

CRM1 wrote: »
    From what I can gather this is in relation to acquisition of easements by prescription as well as those acquired by deed that are not registered ie easements over unregistered land. 2009 act brought in a time period within which to register the easement with the property registration authority... originally was 3 years but civil law act 2011 extended this to 1/12/2021. Now if it is not registered by 2021 then the acquisition time has been extinguished and must begin again ie 12 years. Hope that helps!

Thanks! :) Still a bit confused though to be honest :( Can't seem to get my head around it for some reason! If anyone has the 2012 or 2013 sample answers on easements I would really appreciate it if you could send them my way...PM me and i'll pass on my email! I have plenty of other sample answers in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Is it okay to just use GCD sample answers for some topics? The manual is overwhelming me especially with competition.. running out of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Wish I was committing an offence under sec4 of the criminal justice (public order) act 1994 tonight instead of just learning about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

What cases are people covering for the case note Q in eu?

Does anyone happen to have a grid or predictions/night before notes for property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Waking up with a headcold today is just great. Made a supply run and loaded up on lemsip and orange juice. Hopefully it will pass quickly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement