Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SleepvDenning

When do the examiner's reports usually come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

Hi guys, congrats on the results! I got the magical three thank god! I did fail contract though but got 45% in it. I see a lot of people in other subjects got similar in the this round and following rounds and I was wondering if anyone who possibly got similar in contract got theirs remarked?

I was wondering what reliance firms put on your actual % mark as mine are not great, nothing above 58%.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Hi guys, congrats on the results! I got the magical three thank god! I did fail contract though but got 45% in it. I see a lot of people in other subjects got similar in the this round and following rounds and I was wondering if anyone who possibly got similar in contract got theirs remarked?

I was wondering what reliance firms put on your actual % mark as mine are not great, nothing above 58%.

Anywhere I have been they usually say who gives a f**k as long as ya get the 50 or over. It may be different for the big 5 firms where places are highly competitive but anywhere else I've worked only care about how good of a worker you are. Its all in the interview and I'm a big believer in that, and once you get your foot in the door make yourself indispensable. I got into an office covering maternity leave only and not they have kept me on and offered me a training contract because they don't want to let me go.

Would anyone be willing to swap exam grids for any of the following : contract, Equity, Property and Tort. They are all up to date bar the last sitting. I am looking for EU, Constitutional, Company and Criminal. Let me know thanks!!

That is great to hear Kiwi33! Congratulations to yourself on finding your training contract also BTW. I am currently working in a law firm up North but as I have more exams to sit, I believe I will wait until I have them before making the move home in case I will need to pay Blackhall myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Does anyone need the Sept/Oct 2015 exam manuals for Tort; Property or Equity? Say €60 each or €150 for all 3.

Will throw in the past exam papers as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

oraghabd wrote: »
    Does anyone need the Sept/Oct 2015 exam manuals for Tort; Property or Equity? Say €60 each or €150 for all 3.

Will throw in the past exam papers as well...

As far as I know, you're not meant to post for sale ads on this thread. Try adverts.ie

As far as I know, you're not meant to post for sale ads on this thread. Try adverts.ie

are you allowed to post things to just swap.. not interested in money just the materials!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

kiwi33 wrote: »
    are you allowed to post things to just swap.. not interested in money just the materials!

Not sure tbh. An adverts.ie might do no harm in case you can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Oh, far enough. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, people probably don't this crammed with ads effectively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 LawyrUp

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else didn't get their results in the post today?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hi guys

I have my last two exams left for March, Constitutional and Tort and I'm really hoping to pass them then.

Have heard a lot of horror stories about Constitutional in particular?

Are these two really a lot more difficult to pass than the others?

Would appreciate any info!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

dashdoll wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have my last two exams left for March, Constitutional and Tort and I'm really hoping to pass them then.

Have heard a lot of horror stories about Constitutional in particular?

Are these two really a lot more difficult to pass than the others?

Would appreciate any info!

Thanks.

Tbh dashdoll I really don't think Constitutional is that bad. It is just a matter of breaking it up and leaving yourself time to understand it. It's not like other subjects where you can cram notes together in the last few weeks. At least if you only have the two left you have the time the spend on it so take it slowly. It's important not just to know principles of Constitutional law and details of caselaw but to know how X case effected the law thereafter.

I can't recommend Yvonne McInerney in Independent Colleges enough for it though. The manual is huuuge and the chapters are dense so she was brilliant in being able to concise cases and that- saves you slaving over pages and pages of judgment extracts (because that's what half the manual is!)

I have Tort as one of my last two also but from snooping in on how others got on with the last sitting I imagine it's similar to Constitutional in terms of taking the time to properly understand what you're reading especially in differentiating all the different liabilities and that :) Best of luck! The next round are going to come around so quick ahhh !!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

smeal wrote: »
    Tbh dashdoll I really don't think Constitutional is that bad. It is just a matter of breaking it up and leaving yourself time to understand it. It's not like other subjects where you can cram notes together in the last few weeks. At least if you only have the two left you have the time the spend on it so take it slowly. It's important not just to know principles of Constitutional law and details of caselaw but to know how X case effected the law thereafter.

I can't recommend Yvonne McInerney in Independent Colleges enough for it though. The manual is huuuge and the chapters are dense so she was brilliant in being able to concise cases and that- saves you slaving over pages and pages of judgment extracts (because that's what half the manual is!)

I have Tort as one of my last two also but from snooping in on how others got on with the last sitting I imagine it's similar to Constitutional in terms of taking the time to properly understand what you're reading especially in differentiating all the different liabilities and that :) Best of luck! The next round are going to come around so quick ahhh !!

Thanks for taking the time to respond! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

All do you know if we can only use 2014 act or company nxt sitting

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

As far as I know you can only use the 2014 Act from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Does anyone know what time the exams are on in march? The dates are up but no times.

Does anyone know what time the exams are on in march? The dates are up but no times.

It's always half 9 to half twelve

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stresshead92

Hi all. I recently graduated with a BA in media with only studying law in second year, primarily media law. I literally just got independent manuals this morning, although I am not doing the actual course. I am panicking! I am hoping to sit four exams in March, constitutional, contract, equity and Criminal. Am input of my mind considering tomorrow will literally be my first day of study. Is it doable? I'm stressed already! I literally don't even know what books I need for each module. Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. 😳

Hi Stresshead, I am unsure about the rest but I just focused on the manuals. They are enough on their own. Having Nutshells or less stress books can be helpful if you want but I truly believe the manuals are enough because you don't want to bog yourself down with notes upon notes. You will have enough to learn.

Guys, I am considering five in one go this time round to see how many I get as I have three already.

They are constitutional, contract, property, EU and company. Has anyone on here sat this many before in one go? I know constitutional and EU are quite big and the exam days are all together for me except for company so I would be grateful for anyone's past history with sitting these together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Stresshead92

Thank you @scarymary13

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Hi Stresshead, I am unsure about the rest but I just focused on the manuals. They are enough on their own. Having Nutshells or less stress books can be helpful if you want but I truly believe the manuals are enough because you don't want to bog yourself down with notes upon notes. You will have enough to learn.

Guys, I am considering five in one go this time round to see how many I get as I have three already.

They are constitutional, contract, property, EU and company. Has anyone on here sat this many before in one go? I know constitutional and EU are quite big and the exam days are all together for me except for company so I would be grateful for anyone's past history with sitting these together.

Sat 5 last time round and got 4. It's doable but I really struggled with the back to back days. I had three in a row and it was the third exam that I failed. I left myself to much to do in that half a day in between exams. My advice would be go for it but just be prepared to be exhausted and distracted on the back to back exams. Get learning as early as possible is the key I think.

Congratulations, that's great Figsy!!! Yeah I have four days together which is a real pain and I am working full-time up until 3 days before they commence. Do you mind me asking what five you sat?

I don't mind working really hard for them within the time span I have ie evenings and weekends. I hate how they have it so early on in March though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

I did 6 last time out and passed 4. It's tough going but it is doable. As Figsy said get started ASAP if you do decide to do it.

I did Criminal, Property, Tort, Equity, Constitutional and Contract. Failed Equity which was my 4th and Contract which was my last one. I just didn't have enough done for those 2 because my time management was a bit off. Focused a bit too much on the earlier subjects, but it definitely is achievable if you're determined enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

Hey Guys, anyone have any experience with rechecks? I got 48 in Contract, wondering what are the chances of it being bumped up? I answered 5 questions.

Are many of ye working full time? I have a training contract with one of the big 5. I have to have my remaining four passed in the next sitting (3 if my recheck is bumped up, please god) or I lose my training contract with them. They are asking if I am available to back to work now.

I was working while studying for the last sitting and couldn't get much study done at all as I was working crazy crazy hours. so now I am thinking I am not going to go back, just get some part time work and study full time to ensure I keep my training contract and get going to blackhall in September. The thoughts of losing the contract is so scary. unemployed for xmas now tho :( sad times.

Any advice?

Thanks JD. I have no experience with rechecks but I hope to get the same answer as yourself because I failed contract with 45%.

I have heard mixed reviews so far tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭corkres1989

lawbear wrote: »
    Hey Guys, anyone have any experience with rechecks? I got 48 in Contract, wondering what are the chances of it being bumped up? I answered 5 questions.

Are many of ye working full time? I have a training contract with one of the big 5. I have to have my remaining four passed in the next sitting (3 if my recheck is bumped up, please god) or I lose my training contract with them. They are asking if I am available to back to work now.

I was working while studying for the last sitting and couldn't get much study done at all as I was working crazy crazy hours. so now I am thinking I am not going to go back, just get some part time work and study full time to ensure I keep my training contract and get going to blackhall in September. The thoughts of losing the contract is so scary. unemployed for xmas now tho :( sad times.

Any advice?

I'm working full time while doing these. I found/finding it next to impossible to do the first set while working full time. So much so that I am going to ask for a month unpaid leave for the next set and if they don't give it to me I will hand in my notice. Way I see it is you have to take a step back to move forward. They have to be your priority.

I failed Equity with a 43 so I am throwing it in for a recheck against all odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

What way did people divide up the workload? If sitting four is it a good idea to concentrate on one subject at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

ok so I sat 5 last sitting only missing out on my magic 3 by 6%! decided not to let it get the better me considering I had been let go from my firm a week before exams.... Ive began the Independent College course for all 8 subjects and plan on staying unemployed to study continuously for them. I have 2 training contract offers banking on me getting 6/7 from this sitting. What have I left myself in for at all!!!!!! anyone know of many people passing all 8 in one sitting? I have a law degree which I just finished in May so 5 topics are still fresh in my head......:eek:

• Advertisement

I went between them as I was working full-time and doing the prep course. This time I plan to focus on them one by one.

Did you consider getting the 6% one checked incase it would get you the 3 and one less to do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement