Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

I think the rechecks have such mixed reviews and appear to be somewhat of a money racket, if it was only 1,2 or 3% then I would recheck! after forking out for the course, getting a proper laptop & faster broadband I just couldn't afford to give more money! I just hope between lectures handing in the homework and keeping the head down this might be worthwhile. I'm nearly 30 also and want to really go to Blackhall in September and start making some form of a decent wage before I'm 50 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crosshair12

This might be of interest to anyone sitting constitutional in the spring...

http://www.ucd.ie/law/eventsseminars/title,259667,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

This might be of interest to anyone sitting constitutional in the spring...

http://www.ucd.ie/law/eventsseminars/title,259667,en.html

Just did an impulse booking there, and an impulse payment to boot.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

ok so I sat 5 last sitting only missing out on my magic 3 by 6%! decided not to let it get the better me considering I had been let go from my firm a week before exams.... Ive began the Independent College course for all 8 subjects and plan on staying unemployed to study continuously for them. I have 2 training contract offers banking on me getting 6/7 from this sitting. What have I left myself in for at all!!!!!! anyone know of many people passing all 8 in one sitting? I have a law degree which I just finished in May so 5 topics are still fresh in my head......:eek:

Do you mind me asking - how does one get offered not one, but two training contracts at once? Are you a super likeable person? Are you exuberant and confident? Do you have unreal extra curriculars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FE1waaaah

ok so I sat 5 last sitting only missing out on my magic 3 by 6%! decided not to let it get the better me considering I had been let go from my firm a week before exams.... Ive began the Independent College course for all 8 subjects and plan on staying unemployed to study continuously for them. I have 2 training contract offers banking on me getting 6/7 from this sitting. What have I left myself in for at all!!!!!! anyone know of many people passing all 8 in one sitting? I have a law degree which I just finished in May so 5 topics are still fresh in my head......:eek:

Hey Kcookies2015/everyone,

I just sat and passed all 8 exams in my first sitting so you definitely can do it. You have lots of time. I started in June and I was doing Monday-Friday. For the first two weeks or so I was just studying until 2 or 3 and then I started doing longer days. I worked Saturday and Sundays until early August and I took a week off, somewhat accidentally, for the first week of August. I had all the courses covered (at least a bare set of notes) by the first week of September so then I spent the last few weeks reviewing, condensing notes and trying to do some sample answers.

Couple of tips/pieces of advice;

1- Take breaks. Especially around exam time, you will thank yourself for that time that you took a half day or slept in. It's a hard slog and you need to reward yourself. I was doing shorter days (maybe like 10-1 and 2-6 and then 7-8/8.30) the week before the exams so that I knew I was well rested. You also cannot not sleep during the exams- I was up each morning at 6, read for about half an hour, had breakfast at 7 and did my last bit of learning/revision from 7.30-9 before getting a bit of air and going to the hall. I was in bed every night by 12 because I knew I needed the sleep. Sleep in both mornings on the middle weekend too!!

2- Relax- you can pass all 8 and worrying about them and stressing youself out will not help. I was sure I could only answer 3 questions in constitutional and contract. I took a short break and focussed on what I did know and I was able to answer my last two and I passed them both despite being sure I had failed. Also, avoid talking to people before and after exams. It doesn't help that most people will tell you that "you must be mad" or that you're attempting the "impossible". It's absolutely possible to get all 8 if you get the work done in advance. Also, it's no harm to avoid boards during the exams because people will freak you out on here!

3- Don't be afraid to leave stuff out, but don't leave yourself short. It will be impossible for you to have every topic in every subject covered. I'm sure Independent will help out with predictions/advice as to what you need to cut out but I found I left out stuff that I found tedious/difficult and focussed on knowing 8/9 topics per subject. I didn't end up being caught for a question in any of the exams.

4- You're lucky that you have done them before and so have an idea of the way they are marked and the standard expected- your study, any notes you make and any sample answers you do should be made with that standard in mind. I would highly recommend doing some exam questions and sending them in for correction with Independent, mainly because they will give you feedback and tell you if you're getting all the correct information down. I would especially recommend it for big topics (negligence in tort, separation of powers in constitutional, directors duties in company etc) because they can be asked in a variety of ways and it's good to practice them in the different format that they can appear in.

5- Play to your strengths- if you're good at problem questions, make sure you answer those in the exams. If you prefer the more detailed/analytical questions then pick those. That becomes particularly important for contract when there are always 4 essays and 4 PQs and the topics, especially for the essays, work in rotation and can be more predictable than the PQs. Same goes for organising your study time- if you love a particular subject/topic, don't spend two days a week on that and then schedule something you don't like for a Monday morning or Friday evening because the likelihood is you'll avoid it or skip over it unless you're strict with yourself.

Make a plan, work hard, take plenty of breaks and get lots of fresh air and you will be fine. Don't be afraid of these exams!! Anyone I know who has tried all 8, has gotten them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

For anybody doing Constitutional, this is worth attending:

Conference
    Constitutional Law: An Update
    Wed, December 9, 2015
    Sutherland School of Law
    2pm to 5pm

The UCD Constitutional Studies Group will hold its annual conference on recent developments in Constitutional Law on Wednesday, December 9th 2015 in the Sutherland School of Law. Featured topics at this important conference will include:
    • An overview of the leading cases of 2015.
    • A review of the first year of operation of the leave requirement for Supreme Court appeals.
    • The implications of DPP vs JC.
    • The law on remission of criminal sentences: where are we now?
    • Standing and time limits in judicial review
    Speakers will include:
    • Professor Hilary Biehler.
    • Paul Anthony McDermott SC
    • Brian Foley BL
    • Mary Rogan BL
    • Eoin Carolan BL
    Click here to register for early bird rate of €40.

Do you mind me asking - how does one get offered not one, but two training contracts at once? Are you a super likeable person? Are you exuberant and confident? Do you have unreal extra curriculars?

One training contract offer was by complete chance when interviewed for a law clerk position he mentioned he was interested in sending a trainee to blackhall for the first time! Just complete luck very small firm with 2 solicitors and second was pull basically in a substantial size firm in limerick. It definitely isn't on account of a seriously good degree but interviewing with confidence & honesty helps. Also I'm mature student - partying days are over! Having a child seems to be a winner too as interviewers normally have kids so common ground haha!! I may not get either of these contracts and neither of them offer financial assistance for BHP

FE1waaaah wrote: »
    Hey Kcookies2015/everyone,

I just sat and passed all 8 exams in my first sitting so you definitely can do it. You have lots of time. I started in June and I was doing Monday-Friday. For the first two weeks or so I was just studying until 2 or 3 and then I started doing longer days. I worked Saturday and Sundays until early August and I took a week off, somewhat accidentally, for the first week of August. I had all the courses covered (at least a bare set of notes) by the first week of September so then I spent the last few weeks reviewing, condensing notes and trying to do some sample answers.

Couple of tips/pieces of advice;

1- Take breaks. Especially around exam time, you will thank yourself for that time that you took a half day or slept in. It's a hard slog and you need to reward yourself. I was doing shorter days (maybe like 10-1 and 2-6 and then 7-8/8.30) the week before the exams so that I knew I was well rested. You also cannot not sleep during the exams- I was up each morning at 6, read for about half an hour, had breakfast at 7 and did my last bit of learning/revision from 7.30-9 before getting a bit of air and going to the hall. I was in bed every night by 12 because I knew I needed the sleep. Sleep in both mornings on the middle weekend too!!

2- Relax- you can pass all 8 and worrying about them and stressing youself out will not help. I was sure I could only answer 3 questions in constitutional and contract. I took a short break and focussed on what I did know and I was able to answer my last two and I passed them both despite being sure I had failed. Also, avoid talking to people before and after exams. It doesn't help that most people will tell you that "you must be mad" or that you're attempting the "impossible". It's absolutely possible to get all 8 if you get the work done in advance. Also, it's no harm to avoid boards during the exams because people will freak you out on here!

3- Don't be afraid to leave stuff out, but don't leave yourself short. It will be impossible for you to have every topic in every subject covered. I'm sure Independent will help out with predictions/advice as to what you need to cut out but I found I left out stuff that I found tedious/difficult and focussed on knowing 8/9 topics per subject. I didn't end up being caught for a question in any of the exams.

4- You're lucky that you have done them before and so have an idea of the way they are marked and the standard expected- your study, any notes you make and any sample answers you do should be made with that standard in mind. I would highly recommend doing some exam questions and sending them in for correction with Independent, mainly because they will give you feedback and tell you if you're getting all the correct information down. I would especially recommend it for big topics (negligence in tort, separation of powers in constitutional, directors duties in company etc) because they can be asked in a variety of ways and it's good to practice them in the different format that they can appear in.

5- Play to your strengths- if you're good at problem questions, make sure you answer those in the exams. If you prefer the more detailed/analytical questions then pick those. That becomes particularly important for contract when there are always 4 essays and 4 PQs and the topics, especially for the essays, work in rotation and can be more predictable than the PQs. Same goes for organising your study time- if you love a particular subject/topic, don't spend two days a week on that and then schedule something you don't like for a Monday morning or Friday evening because the likelihood is you'll avoid it or skip over it unless you're strict with yourself.

Make a plan, work hard, take plenty of breaks and get lots of fresh air and you will be fine. Don't be afraid of these exams!! Anyone I know who has tried all 8, has gotten them all.

Thanks a million! Starting to look positive now. Have caught up with the 2 weeks I was behind on the course due to waiting on results! So all in all this is possible granted I've to dedicate serious amount of time! I know myself these exams aren't impossible I answered 5 questions in 5 exams with 3 weeks study basically! Congrats on passing them all , you must be delighted!! Great to see its not as impossible as people make out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FE12015

When will the Examiner Reports for last October be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

How did people provide proof of their degree in their application?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

thestar wrote: »
    How did people provide proof of their degree in their application?

Letter from the college before conferring and photocopy of the cert after both worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

Are Constitutional and Tort really as tough as EU? I found EU hard and I'm dreading such difficulty again.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

DaveKit wrote: »
    Are Constitutional and Tort really as tough as EU? I found EU hard and I'm dreading such difficulty again.

Hey DaveKit,

Personally I found Tort to be fine but I did like it at undergrad. He's a tough marker apparently but I passed on my first attempt. Val Corbett at Independent was a great lecturer I found.

Constitutional is tedious and challenging on occasion. However, once you practice enough exam qs and realise that the intern never repeats exact questions, you should be fine. Couple that with a continuous awareness of constitutional issues before the courts and the general principles/fundamental case law.

I know it sounds daunting but in hindsight, it wasn't the worse. Veronica McInerney with Independent was marvellous.

Hope that helps and if you have any tips for EU, please share. It's my last one and I disliked it intensely at undergrad!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Anyone doing Constituional course through Griffith?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Galw2014

Has anyone done a prep course for EU? Hoping to start one next week, but don't know which one to choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

Hey DaveKit,

Personally I found Tort to be fine but I did like it at undergrad. He's a tough marker apparently but I passed on my first attempt. Val Corbett at Independent was a great lecturer I found.

Constitutional is tedious and challenging on occasion. However, once you practice enough exam qs and realise that the intern never repeats exact questions, you should be fine. Couple that with a continuous awareness of constitutional issues before the courts and the general principles/fundamental case law.

I know it sounds daunting but in hindsight, it wasn't the worse. Veronica McInerney with Independent was marvellous.

Hope that helps and if you have any tips for EU, please share. It's my last one and I disliked it intensely at undergrad!

I also attend Independent Colleges. Veronica stood in for Gary Fitzgerald in his absence and I found her very good. And I hear nothing but good things about Val Corbett so they should both be manageable.

There's a new examiner for EU, some dude from Trinity. He's supposedly a very fair marker but his paper differs from Travers.

Firstly, he didn't ask a question on competition law and it had never missed two papers consecutively before.

Secondly, his case note question was difficult, I prepared 9 and only got 2.

Thirdly, he asked an essay question on s.110 which I'd never seen.

Fourthly, he asked a specific essay on equivalence and effectiveness which had never been asked before.

It wasn't the hardest paper, definitely easier than travers. For example, his Direct Effect and MSL question was very easy.

Have a decent knowledge of most stuff and you'll pass. I got caught out and I snuck through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stresshead92

Hi. Just wondering does anybody have sample answers from 2012 to present from any of the following subjects; constitution, criminal, company, contract or equity. I will pay, of course.

I do understand that this is not allowed to be used for advertising, however I have had no luck in getting my hands on them.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

Hi. Just wondering does anybody have sample answers from 2012 to present from any of the following subjects; constitution, criminal, company, contract or equity. I will pay, of course.

I do understand that this is not allowed to be used for advertising, however I have had no luck in getting my hands on them.

Thanks.

Try adverts.ie just serach "FE1 sample answers" and loads come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stresshead92

Billetdoux wrote: »
    Try adverts.ie - just search "FE1 sample answers" and loads come up!

Thank you very much 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Hi I was wondering if I could get advice about what exams to take this Spring. This will be my first attempt and I plan to sit 4.

I would prefer to sit exams that don't run on consecutive days, will the Autumn 2016 exams follow a similar timetable pattern?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

Hi I was wondering if I could get advice about what exams to take this Spring. This will be my first attempt and I plan to sit 4.

I would prefer to sit exams that don't run on consecutive days, will the Autumn 2016 exams follow a similar timetable pattern?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The timetable is already up, if you go and look at the Spring application form on the Law Society website. I think someone posted the dates a few pages back if you look. I'd post them again but don't have them to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hochspitch

Hey guys, sitting Company for the first time in March and looking for some general advice on topics to cover. Are there any topics that are no-brainers or that I'd be stupid to leave out, or even just ones that are generally quite popular. I have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

When citing a case would it be sufficient to just give the case name and year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mrsl15

thestar wrote: »
    When citing a case would it be sufficient to just give the case name and year?

Yes, I assume it's pretty much the same as undergrad; I passed Company in October without even having the year for some and completely forgetting one of the parties in others. I would imagine if it was Supreme Court and particularly important you might mention that fact as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SleepvDenning

hochspitch wrote: »
    Hey guys, sitting Company for the first time in March and looking for some general advice on topics to cover. Are there any topics that are no-brainers or that I'd be stupid to leave out, or even just ones that are generally quite popular. I have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

I should start by warning you that I didn't pass. However, I was behind in my studies and I guessed wrong about what to cut out.

The recommended reading for many of the exams is overwhelming. However, Courtney, the examiner, wrote The Law of Companies, which I found to be an excellent resource. He also co-authored a short text about the changes resulting from the 2014 act, which I also found quite useful.

Also, you can bring a copy of the 2014 act into the exam. Blindly thumbing through the act will take up too much time in the exam, but you can highlight the sections in the index for quick reference so you don't have to memorize all the section numbers.

I think this is a pretty good list:

Core:
    Consequences of Incorporation
    Duties of directors
    Loans / transactions with directors
    Payments surrounding petition for liquidation
    Purchase of own shares
    All sums due
    Charges on book debts
    Registration of charges
    Rights of shareholders
    Refuse to register share transfers
    Share transfer
    Ultra vires
    Winding up
    Receivers
    Examiners

Misc:
    45 capital maintenance
    Ostensible responsibility
    Proper instrument of transfer
    Reckless and fraudulent trading
    Reservation of beneficial ownership
    Types of directors

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Didi2013

Hi

I'm looking for advice, I'm trying to decide on which constitutional FE1 course to attend. Location, Griffith college is preferable. However I have heard positive feedback with the courses in independent and city. Really, its the ability to understand the exam questions - there confusing to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

I'm sitting Property, Equity, Criminal & Contract. I have all the notes, lecture cd's and past papers. I do find it quite difficult studying on my own however. If anybody doing all or some of these topics wants to message me feel free to do so for a chat and to help each other out. I'd appreciate the chance to bounce ideas off other people in the same boat as me. Many thanks

Generally in these exams are you playing with fire to take a look at the exam grid and leave out topics?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mfwic_47

I am applying to City Colleges for their FE-1 course. I have background in USA conveyancing and some contract work. After I pick Property, Contract and Equity, what would be the easiest of the remaining five courses, Tort, possibly? I was told to stay away from EU Law and Constituional, so that leaves Company, Criminal & Tort.

I'm an old fart at 68 and my student days are long behind me, so I want easy.

chops018 suggested going directly to the Bar for a BL but I have to do my thing online. Can that be done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 sdl13

Mfwic_47 wrote: »
    I am applying to City Colleges for their FE-1 course. I have background in USA conveyancing and some contract work. After I pick Property, Contract and Equity, what would be the easiest of the remaining five courses, Tort, possibly? I was told to stay away from EU Law and Constituional, so that leaves Company, Criminal & Tort.

I'm an old fart at 68 and my student days are long behind me, so I want easy.

chops018 suggested going directly to the Bar for a BL but I have to do my thing online. Can that be done?

If I were you I would enjoy myself rather than going through this torture!! But I would go with Company as the fourth or Tort. The content in company isn't hard to understand whereas it can be more difficult to get your head around concepts in Tort!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement