Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stresshead92

Hey! So I'm in a bit of a tangle! I started studying for company and I just really hate it! I am sitting my first four in March, constitution, criminal, equity and now want to change from company to contract, would that be advisable? Is it easier? I will be sitting a course for the next set of exams if o get through these ones.

Also, with regards the manuals, is it best just to learn them page to page, if so is that sufficient to pass? Or should I be looking and referencing independent reading also?

I am panicking as I seem to be learning very slowly.

Any tips regards all this waffle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey! So I'm in a bit of a tangle! I started studying for company and I just really hate it! I am sitting my first four in March, constitution, criminal, equity and now want to change from company to contract, would that be advisable? Is it easier? I will be sitting a course for the next set of exams if o get through these ones.

Also, with regards the manuals, is it best just to learn them page to page, if so is that sufficient to pass? Or should I be looking and referencing independent reading also?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Billetdoux

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I'm sitting Property, Equity, Criminal & Contract. I have all the notes, lecture cd's and past papers. I do find it quite difficult studying on my own however. If anybody doing all or some of these topics wants to message me feel free to do so for a chat and to help each other out. I'd appreciate the chance to bounce ideas off other people in the same boat as me. Many thanks

I'm doing the same, minus Criminal! (Doing a masters at the mo also, so taking it easy!)
    Give me a shout if you want, it would be great to have someone to bounce ideas off!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

I'm sitting Property, Equity, Criminal & Contract. I have all the notes, lecture cd's and past papers. I do find it quite difficult studying on my own however. If anybody doing all or some of these topics wants to message me feel free to do so for a chat and to help each other out. I'd appreciate the chance to bounce ideas off other people in the same boat as me. Many thanks

Hi WhiteWalls, I will be sitting Criminal and Equity. Will be beginning my studies from Monday. Id be happy to bounce stuff of each other. I have my notes, however handy they may or may not be, for Property and Contract (both of which I passed at the last sitting) if you would like them? Although I see you mention you already hold materials....sometimes there can be simply too much paperwork!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Thanks

I hated Company. I was really sure that I did not understand the ideas properly. But I will tell you this. Contract seems to be a way bigger topic. I don't like either but, given a choice, I would pick Company. I did not go outside my manuals as there was simply not enough time. Hope this helps! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Hi guys,

Sitting my first set in March. Had planned to do them last September but left it too late to start studying properly! But I planned on doing Company, Tort, Criminal & EU. In March, that'd mean doing 3 in a row which I'm a bit nervous about. Should I stick with them or swap for another subject?
    I did EU & Company last year in college so I feel a bit more comfortable with them & I thought Tort & Criminal would be the next best because I didn't really like studying Equity or Property in college. Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sdl13

ChloeElla wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sitting my first set in March. Had planned to do them last September but left it too late to start studying properly! But I planned on doing Company, Tort, Criminal & EU. In March, that'd mean doing 3 in a row which I'm a bit nervous about. Should I stick with them or swap for another subject?
    I did EU & Company last year in college so I feel a bit more comfortable with them & I thought Tort & Criminal would be the next best because I didn't really like studying Equity or Property in college. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I would change...I have only a couple left and know days in between are pivotal. If i were you i would do equity property criminal and tort maybe. They are by far the easiest and you cannot compare college and fe-1s.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

Hi guys, for anyone who is or has done the company law exams, did you buy the Companies Acts? If so where? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coco97

Hi guys, for anyone who is or has done the company law exams, did you buy the Companies Acts? If so where? :)

I panic purchased them about 2 weeks before the last lot and got them from legalbooks.ie they arrived really fast too and were about €90

• Registered Users Posts: 11 devinerocks88

Hi everyone - how did anyone do Oct 2015? I did company property equity and contract - got company and property and 43 on the button in both equity and contract. Thought equity was a pretty awful paper with standalone express and constructive questions - although thought knowing quistclose and having re osaba for surplus trust would've helped :( I'm getting both rechecked but I don't know how lenient they are and I just need one more to go to 50 to have my 3. I work full time and study and literally physically couldn't have put any more time into them and am absolutely heartbroken. Ploughing ahead though with the other four in march as I had already started a prep course before the results came out - would it be bad form to take those four and the two I've already passed and know I can in March if the rechecks don't work out? Completely exasperated with them because I just don't know what more I can do... and dreading EU more than I dread ever going through childbirth.

• Advertisement

This made me smile re:child birth lol I just paid today to get my contract rechecked and I got 45% no idea how it will go to be honest. I hope to do the other four also but I am only beginning now.

I do not think I will start my study for contract until after the recheck results as I would prefer to focus on this round as they are so heavy!

I have heard the most outrageous stories of them forgetting to correct a second booklet and candidates going up 20%! I was always told to recheck only if you're mid to low 40s anything about 46 tends to stay the same mark for some reason. I have a friend who jumped 43 to 50 in contract which is what I need in either that or equity, I don't even want both I just want one and a christmas miracle! But I've never had a recheck on any paper before so am unsure as to if to even allow myself to hope.

More disappointed I spent so much on a prep course to have all the info fresh and to have paid for the next one and started it to then have to potentially go back to square one. What doesn't kill us I guess :)

Neither have I but I am not holding hope for the results in January as then I can't get too disappointed. I was lucky I got my three by the skin of my teeth so I wish you the best of luck :)

Yeah, I choose not to do the prep course this time round. I might do the one-day course just for the tips if I can afford it. I was working full-time and just about got the videos done. I had no time for to do the homework which would have been the most beneficial part of the whole thing I think.

I genuinely cannot recommend the homework enough - you hit each topic each way (be it a different way to how they may appear in exams) but the feedback is invaluable to learn from. I also found it brilliant as a night before run through of everything with all cases in each too.

Well done for getting your three though! And best of luck in January!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

ChloeElla wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hi ChloeElla,

I did three back to back during my first round in March. While I was exhausted after the third exam, I found being constantly geared towards exams made me more focused and productive overall than my fourth exam, which was a week apart from the other exams.

Its a personal preference but I think you have a good mix, particularly as you have EU (one of the "big two" exams) included.

Also, studying for FE-1s isn't as detailed as undergrad. Stick to the manual, practice questions constantly and understand what the examiner wants. I rarely looked outside of the manuals and passed 7/7 this year.

Best of luck whatever your decision. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

I have heard the most outrageous stories of them forgetting to correct a second booklet and candidates going up 20%! I was always told to recheck only if you're mid to low 40s anything about 46 tends to stay the same mark for some reason. I have a friend who jumped 43 to 50 in contract which is what I need in either that or equity, I don't even want both I just want one and a christmas miracle! But I've never had a recheck on any paper before so am unsure as to if to even allow myself to hope.

More disappointed I spent so much on a prep course to have all the info fresh and to have paid for the next one and started it to then have to potentially go back to square one. What doesn't kill us I guess :)

Hey any more stories from rechecks? I heard the same that only those around 45 tend to go up for some reason. I got 48 in Contract, so so broke at the minute, out of work which is depressing coming up to xmas, so really wondering if I should chance the recheck? I did answer 5 questions.

If it goes up I will only have three left in march. One more out of the way would be unbelievable. Anyone go up from around this mark before? I feel so sad handing over this 115 euro. Fe1s have me so broke :(

lawbear wrote: »
    Hey any more stories from rechecks? I heard the same that only those around 45 tend to go up for some reason. I got 48 in Contract, so so broke at the minute, out of work which is depressing coming up to xmas, so really wondering if I should chance the recheck? I did answer 5 questions.

If it goes up I will only have three left in march. One more out of the way would be unbelievable. Anyone go up from around this mark before? I feel so sad handing over this 115 euro. Fe1s have me so broke :(

While I don't have any advice re rechecks, you're not alone on the broke/no job front. Just keep the head up, it has to pay dividends soon. Someone will recognise your effort and dedication.

Maybe you should go for it, you might regret not doing so eventually. And if it marked upward, its only a tenner extra than the exam fee itself. If you do recheck it, the very best of luck! Its a bit lousy to be deprieved a pass over 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

While I don't have any advice re rechecks, you're not alone on the broke/no job front. Just keep the head up, it has to pay dividends soon. Someone will recognise your effort and dedication.

Maybe you should go for it, you might regret not doing so eventually. And if it marked upward, its only a tenner extra than the exam fee itself. If you do recheck it, the very best of luck! Its a bit lousy to be deprieved a pass over 2%.

Thanks Laura :D I went for the recheck. Fingers crossed its bumped up, I gave 5 questions a go in the exam so thats in my favour. I have a training contract so just need to get these last ones out of the way. I'll be a recluse until March lol…. Paddys day will be good :D

Hey guys! I literally just be the biggest nag on this thread. Maybe I am just stressing myself/ everybody else out! But I am studying flat out the last two weeks, working barely part time as I really am focusing on these exams. I have the manuals and a few alternative notes (basically a rephrasing of the manuals) and I find myself taking way too long to study! I haven't got through a chapter in three subjects yet, and I haven't even started my fourth subject! Is there any hints/ tips someone could share with regards the study. I feel like I am learning this word to work, even though I do understand it, is this the best way? With regards the many, many quotes, do you just learn them directly? I have a genuine interest in the study but I can see myself burning out before Christmas at this rate!

Any who, if there is anyone out there willing to make my life any easier please drop us a line!

Also, does anybody know of anybody around the west that may do law grinds, perhaps just to give me a sense of direction?

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

In terms of manuals, would it matter for Equity and Constitutional manuals to be a year out of date? I wouldn't imagine that these topics become too quickly dated but I thought I'd ask.

In my last sitting, I used mostly last year's manuals but an up to date one for EU.

• Advertisement

fionnsci wrote: »
    In terms of manuals, would it matter for Equity and Constitutional manuals to be a year out of date? I wouldn't imagine that these topics become too quickly dated but I thought I'd ask.

In my last sitting, I used mostly last year's manuals but an up to date one for EU.

Constitutional is always been updated. The JC case re constitutionally obtained evidence, the Gormley ruling re a right to a fair trial and the whole Art 40.6.1 i v privacy debate came about over the past two years. Although if you can get good summarized notes, you might be ok.

You might get away with Equity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Looks like I missed the re-check deadline. Was a pass from 40% in Constitution a big ask though??

Hi Stresshead, I haven't even started yet but regarding quotes, it is better if you can paraphrase them in to your own words as it shows you understand them.

Its a slow process getting through the chapter but don't bog yourself down either.

The best way for me is to rewrite it in words etc that I actually understand as I feel like I am learning then. Might not work for everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SleepvDenning

coco97 wrote: »
    I panic purchased them about 2 weeks before the last lot and got them from legalbooks.ie they arrived really fast too and were about €90

I bought a Bloomsbury copy, but I'm pretty sure you can buy them from the State. I bought all the other legislative sources from the State and they were pretty inexpensive. They only take orders for post. Go to opw.ie/en/governmentpublications

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Would anybody who is serious about passing these exams be studying already? I was told that this would be a great source of help and info but it seems quiet enough here so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Would anybody who is serious about passing these exams be studying already? I was told that this would be a great source of help and info but it seems quiet enough here so far anyway

I'm serious about them (we all are!), and I'm starting tomorrow. I would have preferred to have devoted three full months to study for my four exams but I was kind of caught off guard with the early exam dates and also had work commitments until last Thursday.

But I definitely think it is enough time. I think the trap that I almost fell into last time around was that the study I was doing early on was not high quality study. I think that if you study well and seriously from this point on you should be grand. (Some people inevitably get through on less, whilst others will be unlucky and fail despite studying more, but you know yourself, we are all of us different).

How many exams are you taking and which ones are you taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Sitting equity property criminal and contract..you? have you many under your belt

Sitting equity property criminal and contract..you? have you many under your belt

I did the exact same four as you the last time around. I chose them as property, equity and contract have some decent amount of crossover and criminal is reputedly the easiest remaining subject.

I spent ten weeks studying for them, but the first six to seven weeks was 'low grade' studying. Just a few weeks before the exams I gave up trying to study the traditional way and went back to the memory recall technique that served me well in college. So in a way that was like starting all over again because nothing had really stayed in my memory before then.

I only mention that because I want to say that if you study well you have plenty of time to pass! I found the one day course in Griffith to be a good help as well in terms of helping me believe that I would pass, and also focusing me (there's nothing like the outlay of cash for focusing the mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

I did the exact same four as you the last time around. I chose them as property, equity and contract have some decent amount of crossover and criminal is reputedly the easiest remaining subject.

I spent ten weeks studying for them, but the first six to seven weeks was 'low grade' studying. Just a few weeks before the exams I gave up trying to study the traditional way and went back to the memory recall technique that served me well in college. So in a way that was like starting all over again because nothing had really stayed in my memory before then.

I only mention that because I want to say that if you study well you have plenty of time to pass! I found the one day course in Griffith to be a good help as well in terms of helping me believe that I would pass, and also focusing me (there's nothing like the outlay of cash for focusing the mind)

If you don't mind me asking but what memory recall technique did you use?

I am myself worried about the quantity of work that needs to be covered for these exams so any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

There is a book called 'how to pass exams' by world memory champion Dominic O'brien that I can't recommend highly enough. The book itself is quite short, you'd read it in a few hours

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement