Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Is anyone doing the lectures in the Independent college? There is a memory techniques class on Saturday morning and just wondering if it is all that helpful? Is all the way over on Foley St and don't want to waste my time if it isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I'm doing them, but I am doing them online

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Good posts CK. What are peoples opinions about hopping from subject to subject? Is it best to stay at a subject for a week and then switch or what way is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Good posts CK. What are peoples opinions about hopping from subject to subject? Is it best to stay at a subject for a week and then switch or what way is best?

Hi WhiteWalls,

As I was saying to you via pm, if you do something for each subject week, it makes it less arduous/daunting overall.

Don't stress over theses exams anyone. They are tough but more than achievable once you put hard graft in.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

What's the general consensus on just taking 3 exams first instead of 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Orlando146

thestar wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on just taking 3 exams first instead of 4?

I would go with four, gives yourself a backup if a paper goes badly. I sat three last time and only got two so I really regret not doing 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

I would take four also. I am so glad that I took the other one in October because I would have missed out on my third one.

By any chance does anyone have an up-to-date exam grid for EU and Company? I only need to know what came up in March and October 15. I would be willing to swap for Tort, Equity, Contract or Criminal.

I would take four also. I am so glad that I took the other one in October because I would have missed out on my third one.

By any chance does anyone have an up-to-date exam grid for EU and Company? I only need to know what came up in March and October 15. I would be willing to swap my Tort, Equity, Contract or Criminal grids.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GG92

Hi Folks,

Im sitting my first set of fe1's in March and tbh im starting to panic and wonder if i made the right choice in trying to do them. I currently work full time while doing the Griffith Course 2 nights a week. I started off well but in the last 2/3 weeks with other commitments (which i have now given up) I just didnt have the time or energy to focus on them all. If i missed lectures i would watch them online but i wouldnt have the energy to do extra study the other nights of the week like i started off doing.

Has anyone any tips on keeping up the motivation and getting through it. Right now i feel as if nothing i have done has sunk in and im drowning in a sea of information :/

Im even considering not sitting the fe1's in March but feel that may just be the fear talking :/

I'm hoping to have time to catch up over the christmas break with my studies and have arranged with my job that i finish up for work on the 19th of feb till exams are finished but im just afraid this wont be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 devinerocks88

Hi GC92

I work full time also and did the course in independent last summer for the October sitting. I sat four, passed two and failed two(marginally) which I am getting rechecked. I only got two weeks off before the exams as I don't get study leave or anything like that so like you use my annual leave and most places are hesitant in signing off more than two weeks consecutively. I will also say that I was in college 3 nights a week, never missed one class and did the majority of the recommended homework as I went and came very close but failed notwithstanding rechecks. I'm not trying to say it can't be done at all because it definitely can but if you could I'd advise you to try finish up early February and give yourself 3-4 weeks pre-exam to really get to grips with everything as the exams have been pushed forward to March 2nd this year time is going to be a problem for a lot of people. They're very easy exams to underestimate if you have studied law previously but they really are nothing like third level exams and it's important to give yourself that time to make sure you go in calm and collected. Also even if you read the paper and can't answer all five, stay the full three hours and write but focus on problem questions because it would surprise you where you can pick marks up. I'm really only realising that properly this time around. Essays are notoriously difficult to do well in if you have not read around the topic outside of the manual as well if you are trying to pick up marks. Everyone is different though I probably needed more time as we all study differently! I'm not making the same mistake twice though and am fighting tooth and nail to get 6-7 weeks off incl exams as I feel last time if I had just had another week I may have gotten all four.

What exams are you taking as some are more material heavy than others and there are ones cited to be the "easier" exams which might help in the workload?

Then again this is all just my opinion and my experience everyone is different and chances are you'll nail them once you put the work in! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Hi all does any of you know if we can only answer company on the new act now meaning learning it all for March? All my notes / books are on old act so the thoughts of starting all over again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

Mileyt wrote:
    Hi all does any of you know if we can only answer company on the new act now meaning learning it all for March? All my notes / books are on old act so the thoughts of starting all over again

Yeah you can only answer using the new act unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

ScaryMary could you please PM me a copy of the Equity grid? I have an EU up to April 2014 and a company one update

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Hi all,

I know someone posted here a while back with a link to or details of the upcoming seminar on Constitutional Law that is given by the examiner.

Does anyone have a link to the info on this as I can't find it?

Thanks! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

http://www.ucd.ie/law/eventsseminars/title,259667,en.html

Found it. Looks like it's over. Thought it was in the New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Would anyone be kind enough to send me on a constitutional grid? I'd be so grateful :) (also I've a few grids I could send on in exchange but they're not too up to date )

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

By any chance, would anyone have an up to date exam grid for criminal and company?

Hi Folks,

I booked the IBIS for the Company, Property and EU exams but I can no longer sit the exams this time round but if I want to cancel, I have to pay the full money. By any chance, does anyone want to take my booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Company law
    Has anyone started revising this under the new act and if so, is there much of an extra work load as I have learnt only under old act - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 beerose

Hi all

Would anyone have an up to date Constitutuonal and EU grid that they would mind sending me? I have grids for all other exams that I could swap (manually updated by myself for the past year).

Also any tips/advice from anyone else sitting either/both of these exams this spring would be greatly appreciated!

I am not doing any pre courses so advice as to what materials others in a similar situation will be relying upon would be great. I have some pretty detailed EU notes prepared but not sure where to start on updating my notes with recent constitutional topics.

These are the last 2 that I need to pass so I would gladly share tips on any of the other 6exams that I have passed in the last year.

Thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Hi Folks,

I booked the IBIS for the Company, Property and EU exams but I can no longer sit the exams this time round but if I want to cancel, I have to pay the full money. By any chance, does anyone want to take my booking?
    I'd an issue with booking the wrong date last time round and they were very helpful with rebooking etc once I said I was an fe1 candidate and had stayed there a fair few times...Have you rang them. Worth a try. My booking was With booking.com but the hotel weren't at all fussed and changed it.

Hi Vickyplumz, no I haven't but I might just do that! Would be great! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lawstydent

Does anyone know what the difference between the fe1 exam papers and the examiners reports are?

This might be a silly question but I'm in final year and I'm just thinking of starting some fe1 prep in my spare time. Am I right in assuming the examiners reports have sample answers to the papers?

Also looking for any exam grids that anyone might have, a friend passed me on his but they're very out of date.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Lawstydent wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the difference between the fe1 exam papers and the examiners reports are?

This might be a silly question but I'm in final year and I'm just thinking of starting some fe1 prep in my spare time. Am I right in assuming the examiners reports have sample answers to the papers?

Also looking for any exam grids that anyone might have, a friend passed me on his but they're very out of date.

Thanks!

Hi, the exam papers are the past papers throughout the years whereas the examiners reports are the feedback of the exam rather than sample answers. Some examiners do great reports (criminal) while others (equity) provide terrible, minimal feedback. Best of luck in final year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bumble6

So back to the books again, took my first 4 in October passed two and failed two so I'm starting all over again! Wondering if the examiner's reports from the October sitting have come out yet because I can't find an option to purchase them anywhere online and I'm trying to update my exam grids at the minute! 8 weeks from today. . . YIPEE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Question on legislative sources for the EU exam:-

The Law Society lists 'Blackstone’s EU Treaties & Legislation, 23rd Ed, (2012–2013)' as being amongst the acceptable legislative sources that candidates can bring into the exam. But there is an updated edition - 2014-2015. Obviously I'll give them a bell, prolly tomorrow, to find out what the story is here, as in, is the updated version acceptable or not.

Just chancing me arm here to see if anyone has any experience with bringing in a more updated version of the text into the exam hall.

I am bringing Blackstones 2015-2016 in to the exam with me. If I remember correctly, the list does include updated versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

The Law Society lists 'Blackstone’s EU Treaties & Legislation, 23rd Ed, (2012–2013)' as being amongst the acceptable legislative sources that candidates can bring into the exam. But there is an updated edition - 2014-2015. Obviously I'll give them a bell, prolly tomorrow, to find out what the story is here, as in, is the updated version acceptable or not.

Just chancing me arm here to see if anyone has any experience with bringing in a more updated version of the text into the exam hall.

I did it last time around and it wasn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sdl13

Candidates are permitted to bring earlier or later editions of the above publications into the examination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 sdl13

Is anyone doing the EU online revision course with independent colleges?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement