Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 studied out

I got Company rechecked and went from 43 to 50! I did feel that I did better than 43%. That is all of the exams in the bag now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

Congrats Studied out!

They really are soul destroying!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dancing-Ferret

Guys, when you log in, how do you access the recheck results? Can't seem to find them anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

if you go to the url, after ie/ delete the rest and type in fe1results

g. ie/fe1results

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

I got Company rechecked and went from 43 to 50! I did feel that I did better than 43%. That is all of the exams in the bag now! :)

Massive Congratulations. You must be over the moon. Pints tonights for you :P. I got Contract rechecked. I went up 2% to get 50. Three more to do in March. Having a can of coke to celebrate at the minute :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 FE1peril

Could anyone suggest what topics they would leave out in Constitutional and EU?

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

FE1peril wrote: »
    Could anyone suggest what topics they would leave out in Constitutional and EU?

Thanks a mill

I'm doing constitutional and finding it hard to shorten down bar a couple of small chapters. It's so long and clunky.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Hello I have up to date exam grids for Contract, Equity, Tort and Property will swap anyone of these for up to date criminal, EU, Constitutional and company

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Has everyone sent in their applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

vickyplumx wrote: »
    Has everyone sent in their applications?

I have :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Simplyliving04

For the Company Law exam, is there any advantage to bringing in the Bloomsbury Professional’s Guide to the Companies Act 2014 as opposed to the OPW version of the Act? It's a fairly big difference in price!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FE1peril

For the Company Law exam, is there any advantage to bringing in the Bloomsbury Professional’s Guide to the Companies Act 2014 as opposed to the OPW version of the Act? It's a fairly big difference in price!

No advantage at all in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anzh El

Where do you order legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Simplyliving04

Anzh El wrote: »
    Where do you order legislation?

Call the Office of Public Works between Monday to Friday 09.30 to 13.00 and 14.00 to 17.00 and they can take the order over the phone if you have a credit card.

The number is 01 647 6834

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anzh El

Call the Office of Public Works between Monday to Friday 09.30 to 13.00 and 14.00 to 17.00 and they can take the order over the phone if you have a credit card.

The number is 01 647 6834

thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

wondering if a copy of the Constitution is necessary for the exam or if it's handy?

Haven't looked at Constitution yet but wondering if I should get a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fe1chancer

Anyone finding EU Law a complete headf**k? I can't seem to get my head around it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 effinnblindin

Tort law question for all you geniuses. For the reasonable foreseeability test a plaintiff can fail if the injury to the defendant was not reasonably forseeable, like the case of Mustapha v Culligan where the plaintiff developed severe depression due to seeing flies in a water bottle, the court said that his injury was not foreseeable so he lost. Then the egg shell skull rules says you take the plaintiff as you find them. This seems to contradict the reasonable foreseeability test (in my head anyway). Surly the plaintiff in Mustapha v Culligan should be compensated for whatever injury he ends up with going by the egg shell rule??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Tort law question for all you geniuses. For the reasonable foreseeability test a plaintiff can fail if the injury to the defendant was not reasonably forseeable, like the case of Mustapha v Culligan where the plaintiff developed severe depression due to seeing flies in a water bottle, the court said that his injury was not foreseeable so he lost. Then the egg shell skull rules says you take the plaintiff as you find them. This seems to contradict the reasonable foreseeability test (in my head anyway). Surly the plaintiff in Mustapha v Culligan should be compensated for whatever injury he ends up with going by the egg shell rule??

confusing enough one.... this quote kind of deals with it. Still leaves some lack of clarification though.

"Moreover, the decision itself raises a couple of new questions. How are we to determine between unrecoverable “psychological upset” from recoverable (absent remoteness) “psychological disturbance that rises to the level of personal injury”? The only guidance the court gave was that “[compensable injury] must be serious and prolonged and rise above the ordinary annoyances, anxieties and fears that people living in society routinely, if reluctantly, accept.” Between a “serious and prolonged” injury and an “ordinary annoyance” is a large gulf. An extra sentence or two might have helped. Secondly, the court noted, but really didn’t address, the confusion between remoteness considerations and thin skull (“eggshell skull”) considerations. “Eggshell skull” cases, said the court, arises “where [the] result of a breach of duty [is] more serious than expected”, whereas remoteness is “a threshold test for establishing compensability of damages at law.” I don’t see this as being a particularly helpful way of distinguishing between the two. Given how the thin skull rule is applied in cases of physical injury, trial judges are going to enjoy trying to reconcile the statement (cited earlier) about tort law treating mental and physical injuries in the same way with the statement that the plaintiff must show that his or her mental injury would have occurred in a person of ordinary fortitude."

oh and don't call us geniouses!! If we were we would stay away from these nightmare exams!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 larryloffy

I am sitting Constitutional and Company in March and thinking about doing the Indepedent College Intensive Revision Course, I'm working full time and starting to feel the pressure but 150e seems pretty steep for a few hours revision....

Anyone recommend these? Anyone also thinking about doing one for Constitutional or Company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 TravelWorries!

I got my Companies Act off legalbooks.ie, it was €95, a little better than the OPW at €111. I emailed the law society to make sure it would be accepted and was told it should be fine. Has anybody used this version and run into any problems? I'm scared I'll rely on it and get there on the day only to have it rejected! These are the specific details -

Companies Acts 2014
    Published: 12-02-2015
    Format: Paperback
    Extent: 1154
    ISBN: 9781780438443

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I got my Companies Act off legalbooks.ie, it was €95, a little better than the OPW at €111. I emailed the law society to make sure it would be accepted and was told it should be fine. Has anybody used this version and run into any problems? I'm scared I'll rely on it and get there on the day only to have it rejected! These are the specific details -

Companies Acts 2014
    Published: 12-02-2015
    Format: Paperback
    Extent: 1154
    ISBN: 9781780438443

Hi TravelWorries,

I don't have an answer specifically to your question, but just for anyone else - the Companies Act 2014 Bloomsbury Professional is available slightly cheaper from Kennys Bookshop (the online shop) at €81.96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

larryloffy wrote: »
    I am sitting Constitutional and Company in March and thinking about doing the Indepedent College Intensive Revision Course, I'm working full time and starting to feel the pressure but 150e seems pretty steep for a few hours revision....

Anyone recommend these? Anyone also thinking about doing one for Constitutional or Company?

100% recommend constitutional. Its the structuring of the answer tips they delve into moreso than anything else. You will come out of it much more confident. Just have a clear head going in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Just looking for opinions. After 2 bad runs at the exams and health problems on top, I've decided to skip the March exams and sit 6 in Sept. I'm deficient during Property, Equity, Tort and Company so which 2 of the other 4 would be best to sit with them and which 2 would then be best to sit in March together?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Just rang the Office of Public Works and they said they have no copies of the Treaties left. Is there anywhere else we can go for this?????

Just rang the Office of Public Works and they said they have no copies of the Treaties left. Is there anywhere else we can go for this?????

Keep an eye on adverts.ie, i got a second hand copy with no writing on it for €15

Simple question -

A lecturer I have advised to know section 228 of the Companies Act inside out as this is core knowledge.

When he says this, am I correct in saying that he means 'know how it applies, inside out'? What I mean is that, the section itself it quite long, and obviously would take ages to commit to memory, but seeing as we'll have the legislation to hand, am I correct to assume that he means just know how it applies and have cases to support this? It's got to be, right?

Simple question -

A lecturer I have advised to know section 228 of the Companies Act inside out as this is core knowledge.

When he says this, am I correct in saying that he means 'know how it applies, inside out'? What I mean is that, the section itself it quite long, and obviously would take ages to commit to memory, but seeing as we'll have the legislation to hand, am I correct to assume that he means just know how it applies and have cases to support this? It's got to be, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Simple question -

100% that's what he means. Learning it word for word when you're going to have it in front of you anyway would be a massive waste of time!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the 'ol reassurance there mate - sometimes the simple questions are the ones that you need to ask! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement