Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dublad2012

larryloffy wrote: »
    I am sitting Constitutional and Company in March and thinking about doing the Indepedent College Intensive Revision Course, I'm working full time and starting to feel the pressure but 150e seems pretty steep for a few hours revision....

Anyone recommend these? Anyone also thinking about doing one for Constitutional or Company?

I did the Company one last year and would definitely recommend, felt so much more confident afterwards. Also gained a good insight into how the examiner likes questions answered and his general preferences.
    I'm planning on doing Constitutional this year too along with whatever other ones run from my 4 exams (the course run according to demand), they are pricey but I found them well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 effinnblindin

Does anyone have a Tort exam grid that includes the question number that each topic came up in, it'd make life a bit easier. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

Just wondering where people are as regards study/getting information together? Have people started learning off yet? I know no one doing these exams (maybe that's a good thing :) ) so just want to know where everyone is there about - Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

lawgal wrote: »
    Just wondering where people are as regards study/getting information together? Have people started learning off yet? I know no one doing these exams (maybe that's a good thing :) ) so just want to know where everyone is there about - Thanks

It's probably better to not know anyone doing these exams tbh- it can stress you out more. I

personally work full time and study and so far have passed 6/8 on first attempt. I will be making notes up until the very last minute and don't usually start "learning off" until the day or two before the actual exam:rolleyes: That's just my personal way of studying though and have done it through LC and college :)

I have two left to do, contract and tort, and at this point in time I only have a few chapters of notes covered for Tort. I'm sure there are plenty of people with all their notes done and that but for these exams my advice would be never follow or rely on what anyone else is doing, just do what you're comfortable doing and at the speed/volume you can manage. Everyone's approach to the FE-1s is different. You still have plenty of time!

smeal wrote: »
    It's probably better to not know anyone doing these exams tbh- it can stress you out more. I

personally work full time and study and so far have passed 6/8 on first attempt. I will be making notes up until the very last minute and don't usually start "learning off" until the day or two before the actual exam:rolleyes: That's just my personal way of studying though and have done it through LC and college :)

I have two left to do, contract and tort, and at this point in time I only have a few chapters of notes covered for Tort. I'm sure there are plenty of people with all their notes done and that but for these exams my advice would be never follow or rely on what anyone else is doing, just do what you're comfortable doing and at the speed/volume you can manage. Everyone's approach to the FE-1s is different. You still have plenty of time!

Thanks for the reply! I know everyone has different learning methods and abilities so it is hard to compare. This is my first time doing the exams, I'm taking four, I know I have time I just don't want to be cramming like crazy and having a meltdown the night before but I'm sure everyone does as it's all a memory game!!! Oh the joys..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

I am doing 4, this is my second time having passed 4 on last go. I have notes on Criminal and Tort finished, in the middle of EU and then on to Equity. Like Smeal, I work fulltime and study the rest, I will just continually condense notes as I go, learning bit by bit, but wont make my index cards or "learn off" until the couple of days before each exam. Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭corkres1989

As Mareva Injunctions weren't likely last year does anything think they are a hot topic this year for Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Simplyliving04

Are the Law Society just not publishing any examiner reports for the Oct 2015 sitting or am I missing something???

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

What topics are we thinking for constitutional ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lovelylaw

vickyplumx wrote: »
    What topics are we thinking for constitutional ? :)

I just started constitutional today & im panicked!
    There seems to be alot.....
    Sop, trial in due course, expression, equality, livelihood, reform & referend, privacy, fair procedures, family & ed, bodily integ,......
    Is a case note q likely?

Im at a loss as to what to concentrate on....
    Also how much detail/little detail in answers get you over the line...50%.
    Im afraid I won't have time to know great detail!
    Out of interest. ..how many topics/qs (learn off/good knowledge off) do people learn per day.... I feel its going very slow for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

lovelylaw wrote: »
    I just started constitutional today & im panicked!
    There seems to be alot.....
    Sop, trial in due course, expression, equality, livelihood, reform & referend, privacy, fair procedures, family & ed, bodily integ,......
    Is a case note q likely?

Im at a loss as to what to concentrate on....
    Also how much detail/little detail in answers get you over the line...50%.
    Im afraid I won't have time to know great detail!
    Out of interest. ..how many topics/qs (learn off/good knowledge off) do people learn per day.... I feel its going very slow for me!

Oh stop its a heavy one alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

Hows Everybody, doing two this time around, equity and criminal had planned on doing constitutional but time constraints and I dint want to heap too much pressure on myself.
    How are people feeling about equity?
    Im familiar from studying with injunctions, resulting and constructive trusts, tracing, secret trusts, rescission ,rectification and equitable estoppal (seems unlikely this will come i think).
    Im fairly happy with this however I may see if I can cover purpose trusts as well.
    I have studied very little criminal and only picked it because it seems to be one of the topics people prefer. What are peoples assessment on the criminal fe1 exam and are there topics that one should really concentrate on?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Literally only starting to study today properly for Criminal EU Constitutional and Company in March. I'm such an idiot. I passed four in October and I don't know what has been wrong with my I just had such a blank towards studying. No sense of urgency at all and I still don't feel panicked. God knows they will be disastrous but hey! Imma jus gone roll with the punches!!! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bumble6

Could somebody please shed some light on the issue that I’m STILL having with last October's Tort paper . . .I scraped a pass in it last time round but failed to get my magic three so this is second time round for me! I'm still having trouble identifying the relevant issues in questions 3 and 8! I think question 8 falls under employers’ liability for occupational injury. Question 3 is really throwing me. . .is it vicarious liability involving a “frolic”? I would really appreciate any guidance on these two questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Does anyone happen to have a list of the topics that were asked in the Oct 2015 exams in Tort and Constitutional? I haven't got these papers yet.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kd2121

I'm working off an older manual for Property and was wondering if anyone could tel me if there are any huge changes that I should know about following the same sex marriage referendum?

Can anyone tell me when doing Equity and in particular Specific Performance if it is worth leaving out Doctrine of Part Performance or should I learn it in detail? Defences and Contracts for Personal Services seem the most likely or does anyone know if it has come up before? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

I'm struggling with the vastness of Constitutional, are there any topics that I can leave out? I've seen people list the topics they are doing but they often contradict and it's hard to ascertain an consensus on the least important subjects.

The same goes for Company to a lesser extent if anyone can help.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sophiehatter

Hi guys, hope the study is going well.

Is anyone else finding it particularly hard to study for constitutional? The subject just seems vast and I feel like I could spend the next three weeks just doing that and not be finished in time. Is the examiner quite particular about have the most recent up to date developments and case law, or if you know the main precedents in an area you would be ok?

I have such a block about this subject, and its my last exam so expecting it to be a bad one!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

The firm I work with have copies Of company act with their personalised cover on it ...could I use this for exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Mileyt wrote: »
    The firm I work with have copies Of company act with their personalised cover on it ...could I use this for exams?

Definitely one to ask the Law Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 larryloffy

Definitely one to ask the Law Society.

I asked the Law Society same Q. I have the Company Law Act 2014 (published by Bloomsbury for Arthur Cox) there is no additional commentary etc only difference seems to be the front cover saying Arthur Cox, I told the Law Society this and even attached pictures.

However, the Law Society replied:

"The only books permitted into the exam are the books from our Permitted Legislation list. They must be the original publication."

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Are most people getting the companies' Act? Lecturer in Independent he would advise against it

Do people think it is of much use?

Are most people getting the companies' Act? Lecturer in Independent he would advise against it

oraghabd wrote: »

WHy was he advising against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Finding it particularly difficult to get motivated when I should really be picking up the pace at this stage. Thank god I started a little early or I would have nothing done at all! Is anyone else having difficulty focusing?

I think essentially the cost of it. Said you won't actually use it in the exam.

Finding it particularly difficult to get motivated when I should really be picking up the pace at this stage. Thank god I started a little early or I would have nothing done at all! Is anyone else having difficulty focusing?

Aw here Im the same. I passed four in October and have 4 to do now and im not joking when I say im only starting now. and i'm struggling to motivate despite having so little time. I just dont know what is wrong with me!!!

oraghabd wrote: »
    I think essentially the cost of it. Said you won't actually use it in the exam.

Do you know what they are probably right. I never really use the legislation in the exams anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

kiwi33 wrote: »
    Do you know what they are probably right. I never really use the legislation in the exams anyways!

Maybe if you utterly blank on the day of the exam, having already learned off the gist of the legislation, then having it tabbed and highlighted might just trigger your memory in relation to the case law that you would cite.

like a security blanket but less snuggly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement