Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

THERE IS NO LUAS ON 8TH MARCH DUE TO GREEDY PEOPLE.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I didn't think the change to the thread title was noticeable enough. Hopefully ^^^that will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Can anyone tell me where to find the Bloomsbury Professional Companies' Act, 2014? Or if its any cheaper than the €110 company act? Law society and government publications are impossible to get talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

oraghabd wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where to find the Bloomsbury Professional Companies' Act, 2014? Or if its any cheaper than the €110 company act? Law society and government publications are impossible to get talking to.

Here and here.

It's still nearly €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

vickyplumx wrote: »
    For constitutional I have : oireachtas, courts, personal rights, property rights, due course of law, amending the constitution, separation of powers, freedom of expression, family, judicial review, findings of unconstitutionality, equality and abortion. Surely that's ok? I know I've cut a bit already but there's so much to it

That's what I have done too. Fair bit cut out but still a huge amount in it to learn. Going to the Independent Intensive tutorial day so I'll post next week if there's any tips outside of that!

Got my 4 first time around but this is the one exam I'm really dreading since starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 lovelylaw

Hi guys.

Just wondering how much info needed in answersing questions.

I have previously done exams and had more time for learning & had a good idea of notes for each exams knew my cases etc. I was well prepared. But this time around with work commitments I am finding it more difficult. Is it a matter of know as much per topic/q eg like the griffth sample answers or have people passed with a sketchy overview of a topic?

Also company law-its taking alot of time to get me head around & then trying to remember all the cases in the griffth chapter/sample answers?

Reall I suppose my question is what level of info required to get the 50! Is 5 qs a must?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

So annoyed at myself. Haven't even opened my books the last two days. Grrrr.

Hopefully I'll cop on tomorrow. Notes almost finished, then to start learning the whole of tort and constitutional. Joyful.

Afraid I've left myself too little time ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

dashdoll wrote: »
    So annoyed at myself. Haven't even opened my books the last two days. Grrrr.

Hopefully I'll cop on tomorrow. Notes almost finished, then to start learning the whole of tort and constitutional. Joyful.

Afraid I've left myself too little time ��

It's crazy the torment we put upon ourselves :) I reckon we all do it, as in, take a day or two off right next to the exams and then ask ourselves "what was i thinking?"

Sure, t'will be alright in the end (and it it isn't, it's not the end!)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

And the panic has well and truly set in. I was coasting, convincing myself that I was actively retaining while summarising.....aaahhhh!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Guys, just wondering in Contract, what way does the Consumer Protection question usually come up? Is it usually a problem question where you have to scrape through facts and correlate with the Act or can it tend to be an essay focusing in on reform? The manual is so itty gritty!! Contract definitely the most boring out of them all...

• Advertisement

Think the last 2 were PQs so think a 3rd is less likely. Poss essay

And not having that as the most boring. EU by a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

oraghabd wrote: »
    Think the last 2 were PQs so think a 3rd is less likely. Poss essay

And not having that as the most boring. EU by a distance

Thanks a mil! Ugh, glad I have EU under my belt! Don't get too bogged down in the itty gritty and know the general principles of chapters and you'll fly through it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

I have an old manual for company law. Does anyone know what is the significance now of the 2014 company act. What has changed and what i would need to make sure i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fe1chancer

kiwi33 wrote: »
    I have an old manual for company law. Does anyone know what is the significance now of the 2014 company act. What has changed and what i would need to make sure i know.

The 2014 act has moved about all the sections so the old manual won't be much use also some of the old common law principles have now been added to the new act ie directors duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Company law
    Hi is everyone covering both restriction and disqualification?

DQ very briefly

Mileyt wrote: »
    Company law
    Hi is everyone covering both restriction and disqualification?

Restriction is usually the better bet. Look at disqualification briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

Considering the list of both External and Internal examiners, I was struck by the lack of solicitors--all, as far as I can tell, are either academics or Junior Counsel at the Law Library.

First proposition : most solicitors are salaried professionals so they don't have the same freedom to take on other activities that barristers and academics do.

Second proposition : the law library is more engaged with the principled, intellectual end of law, since barristers have to try and forsee how courts might move in the future. Solicitors are more concerned with efficient execution of transactions and getting the basics done right. (This is neccessarily a simplistic characterisation.)

I'm not neccessarily saying this is a bad, thing, the role of the examinations is to test a given standard of knowledge of the law, not any specific to the Solicitors' profesion.

What do people think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

smeal wrote: »
    Guys, just wondering in Contract, what way does the Consumer Protection question usually come up? Is it usually a problem question where you have to scrape through facts and correlate with the Act or can it tend to be an essay focusing in on reform? The manual is so itty gritty!! Contract definitely the most boring out of them all...

AS a problem question it tends to be about the sale go goods and the extent that warranties and conditions can be implied by statute.

Essay questions are about the impact of EU consumer stuff

Company law
    I'm covering the following: would love to cut some out if anyone heard hints:
    Intro
    Constitution doc
    Slp
    Ultra vires
    Corporate authority
    Directors
    Leg control between directors
    Restriction
    S / h protection
    Capital maintenance
    Meetings
    Borrowing
    Receiver ship / examinership / liquidation
    Realisation. Corporate assets
    Its a lot any body advise what could be left out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Mileyt wrote: »
    Company law
    I'm covering the following: would love to cut some out if anyone heard hints:
    Intro
    Constitution doc
    Slp
    Ultra vires
    Corporate authority
    Directors
    Leg control between directors
    Restriction
    S / h protection
    Capital maintenance
    Meetings
    Borrowing
    Receiver ship / examinership / liquidation
    Realisation. Corporate assets
    Its a lot any body advise what could be left out

Seem to be covering a CRAZY amount!! Why are you doing Ultra Vires, that is gone under the Company Act 2014..? Are you using an old manual? Examinership is very rare too

Seem to be covering a CRAZY amount!! Why are you doing Ultra Vires, that is gone under the Company Act 2014..? Are you using an old manual? Examinership is very rare too

In fairness, Ultra Vires isn't gone under the Company Law Act 2014. It no longer applies to private companies limited by shares, meaning it won't likely be a feature of the exams now. That said, we don't know if DACs are likely to be examined or not.

Examinerships are incredibly rarely asked. Receivership did come up last time, though, and it's a rare one too!

Hi
    No ultra vires still applies to the Dac companies...there is a chapter on it. I will leave out examinership ...I'm working off new book  thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

Looking at doing the following for equity:
    SP
    Rectification
    Undue influence
    Proprietary estoppel
    3 certainties/Strong v Bird
    Charitable trusts
    Resulting trusts
    Trusteeship

Working off a grid that's a couple years old so a push in the right direction would be appreciated if it's felt it's needed, cheers :)

Doing criminal, company, EU and contract, does anyone know what the pass rate is like?

I think the company can fluctuate a lot and can be worryingly close enough to 50% a lot of the time. Anyone have a clue about the others?

Looking at doing the following for equity:
    SP
    Rectification
    Undue influence
    Proprietary estoppel
    3 certainties/Strong v Bird
    Charitable trusts
    Resulting trusts
    Trusteeship

Working off a grid that's a couple years old so a push in the right direction would be appreciated if it's felt it's needed, cheers :)

I would do injunctions - same questions come and always a question on some of them. One year it was even asked twice!

do they take legislation if it has a solicitors firm name or stamp on it. Work has the new companies act but they have put there name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

kiwi33 wrote: »
    I would do injunctions - same questions come and always a question on some of them. One year it was even asked twice!

Cheers Kiwi! Would I need to cover all injunctions or would I get away with cutting down a bit?

In relation to company, I would imagine that the apparent unlimited capacity for corporate contracts will be a hot topic for any examiners since the 2014 Act became live for exam purposes.

Although it won't have the same application, ultra vires is still an important doctrine and won't be simply legislated away. I would think that examiners will typically ask how the doctrine will apply under the new companies regime etc.

Also, the precise differences between company types and the means of changing from one to another is likely to come up, in my view.

I would always think that is a good tactic to cover what look like major changes because the impact is unknown as yet, so it provides an opportunity to make some arguments around what might happen. It also shouldn't take that long to cover study-wise as there are almost no cases on these points, just some observational articles from professionals and academics.

Another area that should be examined is the transitional provisions (or lack thereof, more so) in the Act. Think about constitutional issues that could arise regarding more stringent penalties under the new act and retrospective effect etc.

I could be wrong but I'd have thought that sort of thing should be relatively fishy barrelly shooty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

oraghabd wrote:
    Doing criminal, company, EU and contract, does anyone know what the pass rate is like?

oraghabd wrote:
    I think the company can fluctuate a lot and can be worryingly close enough to 50% a lot of the time. Anyone have a clue about the others?

Yeah the examiner has stopped putting the pass rate in his reports for Company. The last one was April 2014 with 52% but the one before that was 78% so take what you want from that.

EU had a 81% pass rate the last sitting and is usually in the 70's.

I don't know for certain about Criminal but it seems to have a very high pass rate just based on what others have said on here.

I've no idea about Contract though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement