Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

Having a bit of a panic about company. Three went well, one ok and the last one was a nightmare. Question 8, I answered (a) on the wrong area of law apparently (s238 on Substantial Transactions in respect of non-cash assets instead of fraudulent disposition). I answered (b) on Unfair preferences though which was the right area I believe. So I'm essentially down half a question if that's right. Does anyone reckon I have any hope of a pass? I heard he doesn't really give high marks to questions so I'm not sure that my good questions can drag up my bad one.

And yes, I know it's important not to dwell and to move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

My mind went blank -

On the section 158(1) being the cornerstone of company law, was it off the mark to bring in the duties of a director?

I mentioned that how under s.31, once you subscribe to the constitution of the company you are bound to them in their entirety, and then I ran out of steam and started rambling on about how directors don't have to declare dividends etc. etc - worried this was totally off the mark.

And on the two problem questions about loaning money - question 4 - the one with the car company - was it correct to bring in section 238 here in relation to substantial property transactions? Because I was kind of thrown by question 8 which seemed very similar. What was question 8 about - was it a question about liquidation or section 238?

Confused

I think section 158 is about delegation of duties to directors, shareholders can't tell them what to do (like make them pay dividends).

The restriction one, I was a bit like, "lads, ye're fúcked".

Somehow decided to throw into the directors duties one that section 238 dealings could apply?!?

2.5 pages on new stuff. Hope he likes one sentence reasons like, "no need to register charges on cash anymore...isn't that cool?"

Guys, I think I've lost it.

Just came home after what I hope(!) was my last exam. My mam said to me, "how relieved are you?" And I said, "section 212 relief from oppression relieved!"

And then I laughed for about a minute. She didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

What topics are people studying for EU or constitution or any idea of what may come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DryBalls

I hope the exam hall is warmer tomorrow... plan on wearing many, many layers just in case!!

For people doing tort tomorrow... There is just so much, Negligence is huge, Im still struggling through it!

I'm leaving so much out, only covering:

Negligence -Causation, duty and standard of care, res ipsa loquitor
    Medical professional negligence
    Vicarious liability
    Economic loss
    Occupiers liability
    Passing off
    Nervous shock

No time to do more :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

DryBalls wrote: »
    I hope the exam hall is warmer tomorrow... plan on wearing many, many layers just in case!!

For people doing tort tomorrow... There is just so much, Negligence is huge, Im still struggling through it!

I'm leaving so much out, only covering:

Negligence -Causation, duty and standard of care, res ipsa loquitor
    Medical professional negligence
    Vicarious liability
    Economic loss
    Occupiers liability
    Passing off
    Nervous shock

No time to do more :(

I just cut out Defamation although I had been determined to do it. Just no time. Fingers cross for some good luck and a nice paper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

Same as that coveting :

Professional negligence
    Passing off
    Economic loss
    Nervous shock
    Occupiers liability
    Vicarious liability

After that I'll just spoof it..... Regret signing up for 8 now I assure you! Career change options being researched : (

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DryBalls

Hey all... Luas strike has been cancelled for 8 March :) will save having to find alternative transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

What did people talk about for the subsidiary question? Kind of spoofed it talking about single economic entity. Think I went the wrong way. Had a bit on it and all but didn't think it would come up at all so ignored it yesterday and this morning.

Also, what about did people talk about for part i) and iii) of Q.7?

Judging on some of his exam reports, he is more than happy to fail as many as he likes. Genuinely think he will have to make some exception as think that was particularly hard. Ultra vires, the reforms, etc. Couldn't have predicted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Eu topics
    Institutions
    General principles
    Impact
    Judicial review
    Infringement
    Internal market
    Competition
    Any advice of what esle I should cover that may come up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Constitutional:

Amending
    Judicial review
    Sep of powers
    Findings of unconstitutionality
    Fundamental rights
    Personal rights
    Property rights
    Freedom of expression
    Equality
    Trial in due course of law
    Courts
    Oireachtas
    President
    Family and education
    Abortion

Am I missing anything crucial/tipped. I also hate property rights for some reason (so chances are it'll defo come up!) so could I skimp on that and be covered?

oraghabd wrote: »
    What did people talk about for the subsidiary question? Kind of spoofed it talking about single economic entity. Think I went the wrong way. Had a bit on it and all but didn't think it would come up at all so ignored it yesterday and this morning.

Also, what about did people talk about for part i) and iii) of Q.7?

Judging on some of his exam reports, he is more than happy to fail as many as he likes. Genuinely think he will have to make some exception as think that was particularly hard. Ultra vires, the reforms, etc. Couldn't have predicted that.

I thought it was almost entirely about SEE and piercing the corporate veil.

I didn't do Q7, sorry!

I thought it was almost entirely about SEE and piercing the corporate veil.

I didn't do Q7, sorry!

I thought so too, but was questioning myself. The independent colleges lecture mentioned one or two extra bits about subsidiaries that I had forgot to look at which would have been very useful. A 5 minute glance would have been enough this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

vickyplumx wrote: »
    Constitutional:

Amending
    Judicial review
    Sep of powers
    Findings of unconstitutionality
    Fundamental rights
    Personal rights
    Property rights
    Freedom of expression
    Equality
    Trial in due course of law
    Courts
    Oireachtas
    President
    Family and education
    Abortion

Am I missing anything crucial/tipped. I also hate property rights for some reason (so chances are it'll defo come up!) so could I skimp on that and be covered?

Meant to put this up earlier but Independent lecturer tipped the chapter on religious freedom mixed with education because of the issues with teaching religion/access to schools that have been in the press in the last few months!

oraghabd wrote: »
    I thought so too, but was questioning myself. The independent colleges lecture mentioned one or two extra bits about subsidiaries that I had forgot to look at which would have been very useful. A 5 minute glance would have been enough this morning...

I need to stop thinking about that exam. I'm going to freak out for the next 7 weeks panicking about passing it. :/

There was a couple more tips too buy my copy is in Cork and me in Dublin so I'll throw them up tomorrow night when I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kd2121

For Constitutional I'm covering:

Judicial Review
    SOP
    Due Course of Law
    Personal Rights
    Religion
    Property Rights
    Freedom of Speech
    Family and Education
    Oireachtas
    Courts
    Abortion
    Equality

Anything anyone would add??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

Awful company paper today!

And now tort... The never ending subject :(

is the company marker nice?

He's a tough marker. I've heard that he doesn't give more than 55%. Highest I've ever heard of is 58%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Someone for the love of God please tell me that Tort isn't marked as hard as people say. Under prepared doesn't even cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chels_

I was convinced I had failed company in October as I only managed 3 decent questions and 2 fairly pathetic ones but I ended up with 58. I would say as long as you at least attempted the questions you will be perfectly fine 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dublad2012

dashdoll wrote: »
    Someone for the love of God please tell me that Tort isn't marked as hard as people say. Under prepared doesn't even cover it.

Seriously would appreciate some reassurance on this too...beyond fecked right now and trying to calculate how long I've left!

dashdoll wrote: »

such an awful subject :(

Serious struggle getting out of bed. Hope there's cases in my head now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harrjibarr

What's with the blizzard? I've been entertaining ideas of tort being cancelled for an hour and a half now, I guess that's whistful...

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

I feel beyond screwed going into Tort, I learn one topic, I forget the topic I did before it, way too much information, roll on 12.30

Does anyone have a detailed exam grid for EU law? Would be a huge help, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

lawbear wrote: »
    I feel beyond screwed going into Tort, I learn one topic, I forget the topic I did before it, way too much information, roll on 12.30

I hear ya!! I keep getting Nuisance and Occupier's Liability mixed up!

Going into this exam with a VERY scant knowledge of topics so the problem questions would want to be simple enough! Is it just me or are the English case names always harder to remember?! There'll be a lot of "in the case when your one thinks she's falsely imprisoned in the cab...."

Best of luck ☺️

• Advertisement

For Eu law, when asked to discuss legislative and non-legislative acts, does this mean primary and secondary? Such as March 2015, Q.1.

Confusing myself here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement