Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dd19

Can somebody please tell me what came up in the last sitting of contract? I'm trying to whittle the topics down 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

What are people doing for EU? Is anyone bothering with workers out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 beerose

what are people doing for constitutional?

Hey I'm covering the following:

Separation of Powers
    Art 38.1
    Judicial Review
    Findings of Unconstitutionality
    Personal Rights
    Property Rights
    Family & Education

Going to touch on religious freedom, abortion, equality and maybe freedom of expression and right to a jury trial.

I'm also between 2minds whether to cover const interpretation as a full essay question came up on that in Oct...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

What are people thoughts on leaving out Abortion and Interpretation for Constitutional among a few more?

Are these something likely to be mixed into questions ?

Anything tipped?

Looking forward to a full nights sleep tonight and tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

dashdoll wrote: »
    What are people thoughts on leaving out Abortion and Interpretation for Constitutional among a few more?

Are these something likely to be mixed into questions ?

Anything tipped?

Looking forward to a full nights sleep tonight and tomorrow!

I've abortion done. Left out const interp, preamble, emergency, freedom of association and assembly, all the stuff on the attorney General, international law, jury Trial...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

When it comes to brining in the constitution, we're allowed have it tabbed and highlighted but no writing, is that right? And I presume no writing on the tabs either?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

Figsy32 wrote: »
    When it comes to brining in the constitution, we're allowed have it tabbed and highlighted but no writing, is that right? And I presume no writing on the tabs either?

Yeah that's it! I've a spare copy if anyone is stuck for one

If I hand in my Constitution just before the exam on Tues morn will I get it back by 10ish or would it take ages?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

dashdoll wrote: »
    If I hand in my Constitution just before the exam on Tues morn will I get it back by 10ish or would it take ages?

Maybe it depends on the examiners but I think those that handed in their Companies Acts the other day got them fairly swiftly. 10 or so. Seemed that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

smeal wrote: »
    Quote: EthanSS
    I am SO disappointed about Company yesterday. I can't motivate myself to study for my remaining two exams next week at all. The thoughts of having to do Company next October is just so galling after putting so much work into it.

Please don't worry :) I sat the company paper in Oct and was convinced I had failed. Couldn't get my head in the game the two days before the exam and didn't have the Companies Acts in with me as I couldn't afford it the week before the exam. Answered 2 questions, 2 atrocious 'answers' and a small paragraph for the 5th question. Blanked for all the law and realised after the exam I had answered half of one my good questions using the entire wrong section! Also left the exam 45mins early before I had a chance to fully realise what a mess I'd made.....

.... And passed with 50 on the button!:) so anything is possible!!

These stories give me hope. So disappointed about Tort. Does anyone else think when they are marking the exams they take into account how many exams you already have passed?? they would have too. If I get 50 and another person gets 50, but they can only pass so many people, and I sat my last three while the other person is trying to get their first three, they would have to give it to the person who is on their last three I imagine.

Daydreaming about this when I should have my head deep in constitutional. So sick with flu, all I want to do is get into bed with netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

lawbear wrote: »
    These stories give me hope. So disappointed about Tort. Does anyone else think when they are marking the exams they take into account how many exams you already have passed?? they would have too. If I get 50 and another person gets 50, but they can only pass so many people, and I sat my last three while the other person is trying to get their first three, they would have to give it to the person who is on their last three I imagine.

Daydreaming about this when I should have my head deep in constitutional. So sick with flu, all I want to do is get into bed with netflix.

I don't believe that it would be possible for the examiners to cross reference borderline results as against how many exams the candidate sat because it would be administratively unworkable and also because they wouldn't care.

But I also don't think that there is a limit on how many people can pass a given exam, so don't worry my friend. I also made a little bit of a mess of company, and I worked my ass off for it. But the examiner won't know that. At the end of the day, one of the most common points that you will see people make on this thread is that you NEVER know until you get the results, and the ones that you think you faired badly in are sometimes the one that you did best in. I have first hand experience of that with property law last time around.

Keep going and push through the finish line - do yourself justice over these last few hours and you will be grateful for it coming out the other side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sophiehatter

Hey getting very worried about Constitutional now. Does anyone have any positive words of encouragement as regards how the exam is marked? What is the pass rate like generally? Thanks! Almost there guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Hey getting very worried about Constitutional now. Does anyone have any positive words of encouragement as regards how the exam is marked? What is the pass rate like generally? Thanks! Almost there guys!

I saw this quote in the examiners report from April 2012 and it made me feel a bit positive - "Candidates should bear in mind that many students who pass the exam do not pass all five questions. The difference between passing and failing for many candidates is that the candidates who pass are able to make some coherent attempt at even the questions that they fail"

What he states time and time again with problem questions in particular is stay relevant to the answer. There may be question on Trial in due course of law, this does not mean recite all you know on it but rather pick out the particular aspects are in the question and apply to the facts. You have to pretend as if a client is sitting in front of you for a consultation. Your not going to give him a lecture. Only the aspects that apply to them and what strong or slight arguments they may or not be able to make.

kiwi33 wrote: »
    I saw this quote in the examiners report from April 2012 and it made me feel a bit positive - "Candidates should bear in mind that many students who pass the exam do not pass all five questions. The difference between passing and failing for many candidates is that the candidates who pass are able to make some coherent attempt at even the questions that they fail"

What he states time and time again with problem questions in particular is stay relevant to the answer. There may be question on Trial in due course of law, this does not mean recite all you know on it but rather pick out the particular aspects are in the question and apply to the facts. You have to pretend as if a client is sitting in front of you for a consultation. Your not going to give him a lecture. Only the aspects that apply to them and what strong or slight arguments they may or not be able to make.

Thank you! Ok, good to know he recognises a fair attempt at questions! Just finding the course so huge I don't think I will have a more than minimal knowledge about more topics than I'd like.

Thank you! Ok, good to know he recognises a fair attempt at questions! Just finding the course so huge I don't think I will have a more than minimal knowledge about more topics than I'd like.

Minimal knowledge is better than irrelevant knowledge. It is a big course but if you look at past exam papers you can look back at the certain aspects of chapter that he will ask time and time again. and then just focus of that element of the chapter. That way you will have more of the relevant material of all chapters looked at rather than a lot of irrelevant material of a few chapters. Does that make sense??!!

Looking at the exam papers is a great help i find to seeing how things are asked and good practice at looking at exactly what he is looking for. rather than blindly trying to learn of chapter after chapter

kiwi33 wrote: »
    Minimal knowledge is better than irrelevant knowledge. It is a big course but if you look at past exam papers you can look back at the certain aspects of chapter that he will ask time and time again. and then just focus of that element of the chapter. That way you will have more of the relevant material of all chapters looked at rather than a lot of irrelevant material of a few chapters. Does that make sense??!!

Looking at the exam papers is a great help i find to seeing how things are asked and good practice at looking at exactly what he is looking for. rather than blindly trying to learn of chapter after chapter

Yeah, thats good advice. I always avoid looking at the exam papers until close to the end cos its stresses me out - but thats very silly - I will look at more of them right now!

Yeah, thats good advice. I always avoid looking at the exam papers until close to the end cos its stresses me out - but thats very silly - I will look at more of them right now!

They are the first things I look at before I study then I know what to focus in on and the examiner reports always mention up to date cases or legislation or EU legislation that people don't seem to know about. It helps to focus your study and then you might pick up on recurring questions and that you can have answers prepared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

For those doing rescission for equity, are you looking at just undue influence, or covering misrep, mistake and unconscionable transactions also?

Thanks

For those doing rescission for equity, are you looking at just undue influence, or covering misrep, mistake and unconscionable transactions also?

Thanks

Just undue influence. Then two cases on unconscionable just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Thanks

I'm going to cover them all basically but with extra attention on undue influence

• Advertisement

This isn't a real problem of course but is anyone with equity on Monday considering watching McGregor tonight? I know I should sleep but I really want to watch it.

fionnsci wrote: »
    This isn't a real problem of course but is anyone with equity on Monday considering watching McGregor tonight? I know I should sleep but I really want to watch it.

Nothing five coffees won't fix! It's not like ya were gonna be studying at that time of night anyway. I have no real interest but if I did I would. It's not like you have an exam tomorrow that would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawbear

What time is it on tonight? I really want to watch it too. Oh how lovely it would be to chill with a few beers and watch it 😧 I have constitutional Tuesday, so screwed though.

lawbear wrote: »
    What time is it on tonight? I really want to watch it too. Oh how lovely it would be to chill with a few beers and watch it 😧 I have constitutional Tuesday, so screwed though.

About 5 in the morning I think, depends on how long the rest of the fights take etc. Might get someone to call me when it's starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Anyone any tips for Eu I read a chapter then look at the questions and am like whaaat! I under it but the questions are hard to decipher.

About 5 in the morning I think, depends on how long the rest of the fights take etc. Might get someone to call me when it's starting.

Do it...life is short and these exams are ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Also what chapters for eu are people studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

Has anybody got any tips for studying Property? I just can't seem to get it to stay in my head, nothing seems to be registering!

Also, do ye think one would be covered with Succession, Licenses, Co Ownership, Family Prop, Easements, AP & L&T? I had hoped to do mortgages too but I don't think I can face it!

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bivo87

oraghabd wrote: »
    I have one now, but with a new examiner might not be as much use as I thought

i did not even realise there was a new examiner.... oh dear!!

• Advertisement

bivo87 wrote: »
    i did not even realise there was a new examiner.... oh dear!!

New examiner for what topic??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement