Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Dublad2012 wrote: »
    Lads constitutional was ****ing dreadful yeah?

For the sake of self torture, what was the question on sugar about? I chanced it but God knows what I was on about.

I wrote about the sugar qs also but I didn't have a clue what it was about. I wrote about it infringing things like right to earn a livelihood, property rights etc but I'm sure this is wrong. there was no mention of retrospectively in it. haven't a clue what it was about. put in a line that restrictions must be proportionate too. haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Kcookies2015

Dublad2012 wrote: »
    Lads constitutional was ****ing dreadful yeah?

For the sake of self torture, what was the question on sugar about? I chanced it but God knows what I was on about.

I wrote Grade A waffle on effect on employees right to livelihood , equality, excessive tax levy , spoke about Quinn supermarket & how it's a business entity & not a human being and anything else I saw fit to fill up paper just short of abortion ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 30 OscarBN

Horrendous when you're trying to remember case law on freedom of association from 4 years ago, 😭

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

lawbear, your posts aren't appearing here because you're hitting report post instead of reply - probably because you're using the mobile site which has the report button where you would expect reply to be! :)

I wrote Grade A waffle on effect on employees right to livelihood , equality, excessive tax levy , spoke about Quinn supermarket & how it's a business entity & not a human being and anything else I saw fit to fill up paper just short of abortion ; )

Ah OK. ..that probably makes more sense than what I wrote. bye bye blackhall in sept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

I swear to god if anyone could see what I wrote it was embarrassing. The paper was just not what I expected. I feel like I'll have failed all four. EU on Friday is going to be horrendous.

Can someone give me some hope! This is my third sitting. I have four passed. How many sittings is it taking some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sallywally

dashdoll wrote: »
    Ah OK. ..that probably makes more sense than what I wrote. bye bye blackhall in sept

I think I'm in same boat stuck mostly to properly rights and proportionality and applied heany to each section😳 definate fail. Did anyone attempt the other problem question? How significant was the fact that they hadn't made an actual decision? 😬 now have no motivation to study for contract tomorrow

kiwi33 wrote: »
    I swear to god if anyone could see what I wrote it was embarrassing. The paper was just not what I expected. I feel like I'll have failed all four. EU on Friday is going to be horrendous.

Can someone give me some hope! This is my third sitting. I have four passed. How many sittings is it taking some people?

This was my 4th sitting. I have 6 so was doing my last two but have a feeling I didn't get them.

1st sitting....passed 2 failed 1 so had to resit all 3.
    2nd sitting...sat 3 passed 3.
    3rd sitting sat 3 passed 3.

Probably looking at a 5th sitting. ...really can't take much more of it!

This was my 4th sitting. I have 6 so was doing my last two but have a feeling I didn't get them.

1st sitting....passed 2 failed 1 so had to resit all 3.
    2nd sitting...sat 3 passed 3.
    3rd sitting sat 3 passed 3.

Probably looking at a 5th sitting. ...really can't take much more of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harrjibarr

for contract, can I highlight or underline sections of the Sale of Goods legislation, or is that just for the constitution? I can't seem to find the letter they sent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

harrjibarr wrote: »
    for contract, can I highlight or underline sections of the Sale of Goods legislation, or is that just for the constitution? I can't seem to find the letter they sent...

Highlight

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Can anyone explain to me how to spot the difference between a breach of contract and discharging the contract for performance?

Is it me or do they not sort of overlap?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

Constitutional... absolute disaster today! Definite fail! If somebody can shed some light on what the hell that sugar question was about I would be most grateful! Waffled on about right to earn a living versus legitimate legislative objectives in the common good... complete bul****t and no case law..

This is my third sitting and I have five passed!

First sitting: sat 4 and passed 3
    Second sitting: sat 2 and passed 2
    Third sitting: possibly 3 fails

At this rate I'll be heading to Blackhall in 2026 :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭jdbarry

I have 4 passed and this is my 3rd sitting and Company wasn't too great for me so I may have another one yet!

I wrote 5 very average questions in the last sitting for Constitutional and I passed so don't lose hope! I genuinely didn't have a clue for 2 of them if I was addressing the right issues at all so you never know. I was sure I failed.

Just put it out of your mind now and concentrate on the next one. Imagine how sick you will be if you end up passing it and fail your next one because you spent all your time wallowing in self-pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Itchy Lot

oraghabd wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how to spot the difference between a breach of contract and discharging the contract for performance?

Is it me or do they not sort of overlap?

I would say maybe look at it like breach is where a party fails to perform some obligation under the contract, whereas performance occurs when all of a party's (non-trivial) obligations have been fulfilled (or substantially so) under the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Anyone actually have a good experience with the Constitutional paper today?

I was actually hoping to be able to do more problem questions because I have been told that the essay questions are marked much harder.

Open the paper - 6 essay questions. And one of the problem questions I couldn't answer, so ended up having to do four essays. Not one solitary piece of academic commentary did I have. Urg.

Did anyone find themselves in a position where they knew a bit about the area of the law that the case in the essay question was referring to, but not the case itself? That happened me in two of my essays - I dealt with the proposition as put across in the essay title, but without actually analysing the case that was given to me in the title.

Hoping against hope for a pass - I do not relish the prospect of a repeat for Constitutional.

Would I be right in saying that there has never been any indication from the examiner or anywhere else as to what the pass rates in Constitutional are?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

Can someone please differentiate when answering contract problem question when to bring up heads of loss as opposed to the different types of damages?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DryBalls

OK for contract all I am covering is:

Offer & acceptance
    Consideration
    Implied/ express terms
    Discharge of contracts (performance, breach, frustration)
    Privity of contracts
    Formal requirements
    Parole evidence
    Intention to create legal relations
    Remedies
    Capacity

I hope we have a nice paper tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 beerose

I was actually hoping to be able to do more problem questions because I have been told that the essay questions are marked much harder.

Open the paper - 6 essay questions. And one of the problem questions I couldn't answer, so ended up having to do four essays. Not one solitary piece of academic commentary did I have. Urg.

Did anyone find themselves in a position where they knew a bit about the area of the law that the case in the essay question was referring to, but not the case itself? That happened me in two of my essays - I dealt with the proposition as put across in the essay title, but without actually analysing the case that was given to me in the title.

Hoping against hope for a pass - I do not relish the prospect of a repeat for Constitutional.

Would I be right in saying that there has never been any indication from the examiner or anywhere else as to what the pass rates in Constitutional are?

I did the exact same for the non delegation essay... Ranted on about principles and policies and everything else that I knew about the topics with no reference to the actual case in question.

For the sugar question I wrote about property rights/req social justice common good and right to earn a livelihood as a property right/unjust attack and threw in Heaney vs touhy tests and compensation...

This is my 4th sitting and I have passed 6. Passed 3 first sitting, then 1, 2 in Autumn and was hoping to get my last 2 this sitting but looks like it's also a 5th sitting for me after today!

The thoughts of EU on Friday is depressing! 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

That was literally my exam. Did 5 questions, none of which were good but none of which were horrendous. Just 5 mediocre, pretty general answers with link back to questions. It's really hard to know where that leaves me. Feel like I probably did enough to scrape a pass but wouldn't be surprised either way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

After the mother of power naps (sleeps) after constitutional I'm starting back to property. This should be enough I think? Any feedback greatly appreciated:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Finding
    Family Property
    Easements
    Land Reg
    Co-Ownership
    Judgment mortgages
    Licences

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tyler Durdenn

Figsy32 wrote: »
    After the mother of power naps (sleeps) after constitutional I'm starting back to property. This should be enough I think? Any feedback greatly appreciated:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Finding
    Family Property
    Easements
    Land Reg
    Co-Ownership
    Judgment mortgages
    Licences

You've got more than enough there. Could cut out finding, land reg and judgment mortgages and still be well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

So tried & property just seems to be going over my head! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EthanSS

Would anybody have any basic notes on Discharge of contract by breach/performance. When I covered discharge I only covered frustration for some reason. I have me notes on lots of other contract topics if they are of any use to somebody.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭vickyplumx

Ya answered 3 essays, the second problem and the casenote. Was the second problem all fair procedures etc? My essays were grand was happy enough but Christ the amount of waffle in my case note was gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EthanSS

Could anybody she's some light on how exclusion causes are controlled by legislation in Ireland?

Is that to do with s 39 and 40 of the SOGASOSA 1980?

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ladadidadi234

Anybody else finding it hard to concentrate on contract ??

i feel there is just so much that you need to cover - can anyone tell me where i really should be focusing?

after constitutional today i think my brain is fried :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yela

Hey guys, could someone please tell me what changes the marriage referendum has brought in re family property chapter in property?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

Anyone pass constitutional on 4 questions before? I wrote a fifth question on a completely wrong topic....knew the course quite well too. The margin for error in these fuc*king exams is tiny. One bad question can put you back a year, tough to take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭corkres1989

Definitely learn-
    Offer & acceptance PQ always examined

Consideration - usually appears with doctrine of promissory estoppel or mistake PQ due not in last sitting

Consumer protection - fair & reasonable test applies to exclusion of the act - clear favourite of examiner

Remedies - award and calculation of damages , different headings of loss and rule on remoteness.*** on every paper past 15 sittings

Discharge of a contract - doctrine of frustration. Different types of frustration. Most likely PQ mixed with other topic. Agreement and performance have been ignored in recent years so be wary

Contractual terms - definite to appear mixed possibly with misrepresentation / essay on parol evidence / interpretation

Undue influence - due a run again pay particular attention to presumed undue influence & effects undue influence has generally on a contract. HC decision in Rochebut not gone quite as far as Etridge

Have fair knowledge of:
    Mistake
    Estoppel
    Exclusion clauses

Illegal contracts - arises generally only as essay Q could appear due to recent case Quinn v Hussein

Formal & evidentiary requirements - could be due a sneaky run in essay form - 3P's/analysis of subject to contract

Skim over :
    Misrepresentation
    Intention to create legal relations
    Duress

can anyone please tell me what the 3 ps are in formal and ev requirements? like part performance? haven't a clue and going to throw an essay together!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement