Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 devinerocks88

Yohnathan wrote: »
    Hey guys, congratulations to everyone who passed, especially KCookies who got her magic three!

As for myself, this is my second time to sit the three exams and my second time to get 2 of 3. I was full sure I passed Tort (which I previously passed) but ended up getting 36.. I'm so confused, I thought it was my best exam. No point in getting it rechecked. I am really so confused by how I only managed the 36 though. Is any one else in the same boat about Tort? I was slightly concerned coming out that I mixed up a topic but coming out I checked my notes and was sure I had actually got it right. FE1's you are horrible. Now to tell work who paid for them that I will be going again... The joys!

Thanks again for the support though guys, what legends ye all are!

I'm really sorry you got stuck on two again they are horrific - I failed all four last March, passed 2/4 in October then by some miracle passed 6/6 this march you just have to keep going. It is awful working full time and only getting a couple of weeks off over the exams to try and get them and pay for it all yourself and just never sleep 😂

Tort though shocked me I made the biggest mistake in the third question started about relational economic loss then realised as soon as it was over It was causation and remoteness but I thought getting that entirely wrong wouldn't be near passing; same with company and EU yet ended up with 55 in tort. I sat and cried in my car after it full sure it was a disaster but you never know with these exams. Best of luck in October you can do it!!! These exams have a way of killing the spirit of the best of us and getting into our heads but the feeling when you do (and will) crush them is worth it all

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Yohnathan wrote: »
    Hey guys, congratulations to everyone who passed, especially KCookies who got her magic three!

As for myself, this is my second time to sit the three exams and my second time to get 2 of 3. I was full sure I passed Tort (which I previously passed) but ended up getting 36.. I'm so confused, I thought it was my best exam. No point in getting it rechecked. I am really so confused by how I only managed the 36 though. Is any one else in the same boat about Tort? I was slightly concerned coming out that I mixed up a topic but coming out I checked my notes and was sure I had actually got it right. FE1's you are horrible. Now to tell work who paid for them that I will be going again... The joys!

Thanks again for the support though guys, what legends ye all are!

Yes I am in the exact same position re Tort! I was a bit shaky about that Rylands question too but other than that was very confident coming out of it.. Ended up with 44%! I didn't cut a lot of corners like I have done with some of the exams so I am really going to have to sit and re-evaluate where I went wrong.. First place to start is probs by looking over the paper again.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Everyone seems to be surprised with tort! I was very happy with it and only got 53! Worth an appeal if you were surprised id say?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 OscarBN

Finally summoned the balls to check, only got 2 in sept, Sat 8 this time and got 5. Going to apply for rechecks, and get going again for Oct.
    Tc is gone, simply couldn't do it in 2 sittings.
    I just studied at home, so I wanted to thank everyone who was gracious enough to share "tips" even those that didn't ring true, here's looking at you EU. The generosity has been unbelievable.
    More than anything thanks for the support system, knowing there are others paddling the same crappy canoe made it that bit easier.

I'll be back in Oct, and I'm okay with that, good luck to those going to blackhall, God knows you earned it lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Yohnathan wrote:
    Ah yeah, I think I know where I went wrong but I might just recheck for the craic. I vaguely remember a question that seemed like either Rylands or something else and at the time deciding to go with one of them. I must have went with the wrong one.

Yohnathan wrote:
    For people debating re-checks, I have no doubt I am too far to be brought up, but the last time I got 48 in Criminal (Leaving me with two our of three) and didn't recheck. I thenmet a guy I worked with who appealed a 42 and was passed then. Needly to say I was happy for him but sickened I didn't recheck the 48.

Yohnathan wrote:
    I know I am only going at these exams at 60% and after work, so I am not too disheartened. I just need to give it my all this time, start studying more than 6 weeks out and not leave myself in a position that I have to make a choice between two options when answering a question.

Yohnathan wrote:
    Ah yeah, I think I know where I went wrong but I might just recheck for the craic. I vaguely remember a question that seemed like either Rylands or something else and at the time deciding to go with one of them. I must have went with the wrong one.

Yohnathan wrote:
    For people debating re-checks, I have no doubt I am too far to be brought up, but the last time I got 48 in Criminal (Leaving me with two our of three) and didn't recheck. I thenmet a guy I worked with who appealed a 42 and was passed then. Needly to say I was happy for him but sickened I didn't recheck the 48.

Yohnathan wrote:
    I know I am only going at these exams at 60% and after work, so I am not too disheartened. I just need to give it my all this time, start studying more than 6 weeks out and not leave myself in a position that I have to make a choice between two options when answering a question.

Yohnatan if you feel strongly I'd get a recheck a solicitor I worked with got 38 per cent before and got a recheck and got 50. She said sometimes they miss out whole sections so if can I would. Let us know how you get on best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

No results letter in today's post. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Hi guys,just digesting my first set of results.I got 45 (Criminal) 45 (Contract) 43 (equity) and 39 (Tort).I'm not too down about it as I have never studied law and,regrettably,didn't do a prep course.

Could anyone recommend a good course? Griffith or Independant?.I would have to do it online as I wouldn't have time to attend.Are the manuals included in the price or is that just wildly optimistic?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

Your results for the March 2016 FE-1 exams are as follows:

Exam Name Result
    Contract Law 54
    Criminal Law 64
    Equity 51
    Property 58

I was a bit relieved to pass 4/4 as it was my second crack at carrying over exemptions. Makes me quite regret not doing a bit more work the last time round.

They are eminently passable with a bit of study but do require more planning and exam technique than university exams.

Close enough result in Equity, which I generally quite enjoy. It just shows you need to put in the work so as to have a bit of room for manoeuvre in the event of a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭amkeane81

Hi guys,just digesting my first set of results.I got 45 (Criminal) 45 (Contract) 43 (equity) and 39 (Tort).I'm not too down about it as I have never studied law and,regrettably,didn't do a prep course.

Could anyone recommend a good course? Griffith or Independant?.I would have to do it online as I wouldn't have time to attend.Are the manuals included in the price or is that just wildly optimistic?

Thanks in advance

I did the courses for criminal, contract, equity and company in city colleges and found them v good. I passed all 4 first time without a law degree (albeit company was close and contract was close-ish!). Think it was €325 per course. They can be done online and are available for viewing after the class has aired. They include the manuals. I think all the courses do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

Thanks in advance

I did the Independent College course and I would recommend it. If you do 4 subjects you get a discount. Compared to other courses, it provides exam papers and reports aswell. I passed my first sitting and will be definitely doing it again for my next.

The most important thing you need are the manuals and exam papers. Although if you haven't done a law degree, watching the lectures on exam techniques would be beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

Thanks in advance

I did the Independent College course and I would recommend it. If you do 4 subjects you get a discount. Compared to other courses, it provides exam papers and reports aswell. I passed my first sitting and will be definitely doing it again for my next.

The most important thing you need are the manuals and exam papers. Although if you haven't done a law degree, watching the lectures on exam techniques would be beneficial.
    Hi amomcnico91, does that include sample answers?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm pretty sure that all the courses provide papers and reports. City definitely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WhiteSkelph

I'm planning on taking my first FE1s in October, I'm pretty new to law myself and come from an arts background.

I'm just wondering, are the manuals and exam papers for the different courses enough to get you through? (I'm planning on doing the Griffith College Course, take four my first time) I had a look at the LSI reading list and it seems quite lengthy in some of the courses. Wouldn't you need more than just the manuals? (I took a look at them online and they seem pretty thin compared to the reading list books.

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

I'm planning on taking my first FE1s in October, I'm pretty new to law myself and come from an arts background.

I'm just wondering, are the manuals and exam papers for the different courses enough to get you through? (I'm planning on doing the Griffith College Course, take four my first time) I had a look at the LSI reading list and it seems quite lengthy in some of the courses. Wouldn't you need more than just the manuals? (I took a look at them online and they seem pretty thin compared to the reading list books.

I used the manuals plus college notes plus some extra bits from the recommended books but a lot of people just use the manuals and do grand. I think the most important thing is to go through the papers and reports and see what they're looking for and how you should go about answering the questions.

I literally used the Manuals and looked at sample answers. I'm fresh out of college though, so I had covered the course work not long before.

I had the exam papers so I just kept answering questions over and over again. The prep course I did had a homework option so I would send my answers in to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

Just saw my results as I was "foreign".... got them all ! ... ..... I wish those of you who came up a little short this time the very best for October.
    I feel I was extremely lucky to pass several of these exams as I scrapped 50% in three of them and 52% in another one. I can't explain the marking in these exams, as for ones I felt I completely aced and really couldn't have done better on the day, I stumbled over the line and in the ones I was certain I had failed as I had written lengthy gibberish and off the point arguments , I did quite well !. You need luck people and it seems I had it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

You do not get many sample answers when you attend Independent Colleges, but you do get some. (I could never work out how they decide which ones to give you though, because there is literally only a few and they in no way cover the course - the Company Law ones actually referred to the old act, which is now irrelevant to the FE1's). What the lecturers do though is they work through the questions with you in the lectures - provide you with a structure, cases etc.

Griffith College take the approach of handing out a small booklet with sample answers, whilst of course working through the questions in class.

I cannot comment on City Colleges as I did not attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

You do not get many sample answers when you attend Independent Colleges, but you do get some. (I could never work out how they decide which ones to give you though, because there is literally only a few and they in no way cover the course - the Company Law ones actually referred to the old act, which is now irrelevant to the FE1's). What the lecturers do though is they work through the questions with you in the lectures - provide you with a structure, cases etc.

Griffith College take the approach of handing out a small booklet with sample answers, whilst of course working through the questions in class.

I cannot comment on City Colleges as I did not att
    Brilliant, thanks CKone

Brilliant, thanks CKone

I got a few sample answers from Independent College - but I have loads of sample answers saved from Griffith for each subject that I can give you. They went through questions in the lecture at the end of each topic, which I found really helpful. They also had a homework option where you'd do the answers yourself and they would correct it, which I found really effective. With EU he gave us sample answers which really helped me in the exam.

I would definitely recommend it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

For the majority of the subject papers the readings listed are recommended rather than required. If you read all those books you would be covering the same ground with a different author as your guide. Better pick the best companion and stick with him.

The major textbooks generally map the terrain in more, sometimes too much, detail but they won't lead you astray as the manuals can. The latter often mash different lines of judicial authority together, state principles in a facile way, or rely too much on certain facts rather than the reasoning. On the other hand, setting off straight into a textbook with too much local detail will lead to too many detours.

Your best approach may be to get an initial survey on Deyan Fitzgerald's website : https://lawinireland.wordpress.com/ or a revision text such as the Nutshells series. As you're revising, pick out peak cases to summit yourself. At the library, the authoritative recommended texts remain fixed landmarks in the legal landscape to clarify anything unclear or offer deeper analysis on selected topics.

O, fellow traveller! I had only studied bits of Irish law in my undergraduate degree, and read for a postgraduate degree in a foreign country with a different legal system. It would be worthwhile asking a friend or family member who has studied law to explain how intentional treaties, case law, statute, precedent etc. work or else read "introduction to legal system and methods" type book. None of it's too hard, but yours truly spent a bit too much time in a law library, Delany's Equity or O'Malley's Criminal Process propped between two peaks of law reports, wondering when the fog would lift. If only he had had a guide to the law of the land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Honeyblossom

Hi everyone, Congrats to everyone who passed their exams in March. I was just wondering if it was worth getting my Criminal exam in March rechecked. I was full sure i had passed it when i came out of the exam but i only got 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

Does anyone have a sample answer on the right to privacy. I did have one but happily got rid of my notes when I finished the FE1. I am just trying to help someone else out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

Hi, I just used indep. college manuals, past exam papers, some sample answers and a few reports, nothing else. This will suffice if you don't cut too many corners, i.e. learn at least 90% of the manual. Worked for me anyway but I have a law undergrad. (Maybe nutshells first, before tackle manuals, would make things easier to understand in your case.)
    Best of luck to you .

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

Manuals and nutshells are your best friend...i never had any time to do the recommended reading!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

If you do a course with Independent they have a "homework" service. You do a question a week and they give you feedback on what you're doing right and wrong. Some of the lectrers recommend you do them in exam settings.

Something like that is much more beneficial than sample answers. It's much easier to learn things in your own words.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LLBeatle

I'm going to be taking the FE-1s in October, and I want to space them out as much as possible. It says you have to do a minimum of 3 subjects - is that just your first time around, or do you have to do at least 3 at any given sitting? I had my heart set on doing 3, 3 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

LLBeatle wrote: »
    I'm going to be taking the FE-1s in October, and I want to space them out as much as possible. It says you have to do a minimum of 3 subjects - is that just your first time around, or do you have to do at least 3 at any given sitting? I had my heart set on doing 3, 3 and 2.

3 is just your first round. If you get the first three (your "magic three") you could do one at a time after that if you wanted :) I myself did 3, 3 and 2 (granted I failed the final 2 :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

LLBeatle wrote: »

I did 4,3,1 simply because I juggling an unpaid position during the second set. I'd go with 4 in the first round if you can, it gives you a bit of breathing space if you fail one in the first round.

It allowed me to solely concentrate on the last exam (EU...shudder) when I obtained a traineeship too. Plus my employers were delighted when they heard I had 7/8 in the bag when they interviewed me.

Ultimately it's up to you though. Starting with contract, equity & property is usually what I've heard but I went contract, tort, criminal & company as my starting set. Best of luck 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fe1chancer

Finally plucked up the courage to open my results this morning and passed the final 3!! For anyone that thinks they won't get there believe me you will i attempted them first 4 years ago and failed and have been struggling with them on and off while working full time since then. I often felt like throwing in the towel and just giving up on the whole thing. Such a relief to have them finally over with and get my training contract secured with a firm. I definitely took the long road but it was worth it now! Now time to rob a bank before September to pay these fee's!!!! PS i have a mountain of manuals that i will gladly donate to anyone who wants them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Stresshead92

Hey guys! Just wondering did the course change after 2011? My exams grids only show up q's on topics from 2011 onwards. should I just focus on the exam papers from 2011 to 2016? Also, I am not asking anyone to advertise, but I only have exam answers from 2011 to 2015, just wondering has any one exam answers prior to 2011? If so please, PM me! thanks in advance for all your advice. Congrats to those who passed and for those who didnt, keep chins up, your hard work will pay off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement