Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HelMurf

Hi y'all! I want to know whether people would recommend the FE1 prep course for Constitutional Law at Independent Colleges (given by Veronica McInerney) or whether the Constitutional course given by Brendan Foley at City Colleges would be better?

So far I'm leaning towards enrolling in Brendan's course as I've heard he's a good lecturere but using the Independent Colleges manual as their manuals are generally better drafted than those from City.

Any thoughts or advice here would be much appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭corkres1989

HelMurf wrote: »
    Hi y'all! I want to know whether people would recommend the FE1 prep course for Constitutional Law at Independent Colleges (given by Veronica McInerney) or whether the Constitutional course given by Brendan Foley at City Colleges would be better?

So far I'm leaning towards enrolling in Brendan's course as I've heard he's a good lecturere but using the Independent Colleges manual as their manuals are generally better drafted than those from City.

Any thoughts or advice here would be much appreciated! :)

I heard Brendan won't be in city next year. I was in both independent and city and I prefer independent simply because I like to walk and relisten to lectures and the quality of the city ones were very bad on the iPhone. However the location of independent is just too far for me to get to straight after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HelMurf

Hi corkres1989, thanks for your response, yep the quality of the videos is an important factor to take into account!

City Colleges confirmed (today) that Brendan will be teaching Constitutional so I would still consider taking this particular class with him (but take the remaining 3 modules with Independent) because I've heard that he's a better lecturer than Veronica in Independent. But on the other hand, the manuals in Independent seem to better quality so I'm really just trying to weigh up these 2 factors in deciding which college to go with. If you or anyone else would have any further insights here it would be great.

Thanks, Helena.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

Hey everyone.

Would I be absolutely crazy taking Tort and Constitutional in this sitting. The exams take place consecutively this year and I've heard they're demanding subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tired_Man

Hey everyone.

Would I be absolutely crazy taking Tort and Constitutional in this sitting. The exams take place consecutively this year and I've heard they're demanding subjects.

I did Company and Tort consecutively then Constitutional three days later and passed them all. Both Tort and Constitutional are big but if you've done enough work it is doable having those exams back to back. It will be exhausting, but definitely doable.

• Advertisement

I'll be sitting Company aswell - and they're on one after the other, no break - Although I did Property EU and Contract consecutively last sitting and passed them all. Maybe I'll give it a go - feel it might be a bit risky to leave one of them in my final sitting, perhaps give myself the opportunity to repeat if the exam doesn't go my way first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

I'll be sitting Company aswell - and they're on one after the other, no break - Although I did Property EU and Contract consecutively last sitting and passed them all. Maybe I'll give it a go - feel it might be a bit risky to leave one of them in my final sitting, perhaps give myself the opportunity to repeat if the exam doesn't go my way first time around.

I found it hard to unwind and do last minute preparation for a paper the next day. Whereas a 3-5 day gap is quite significant and allows one to immerse oneself totally in a subject.

What do people think generally about spacing out the papers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

clocks wrote: »
    I found it hard to unwind and do last minute preparation for a paper the next day. Whereas a 3-5 day gap is quite significant and allows one to immerse oneself totally in a subject.

I think two in a row is fine- any more and it would probably be tough going. I sat Company and Property two days in a row and I went home from Company still with the adrenaline from the exam and was able to focus really hard on studying for Property the next day. Property was the best result I got in any exam! Sometimes having too much time between each exam leads to burn out and extreme frustration to get finished.. I suppose it depends on how organised you are before though

The lack of sleep is the hardest thing about doing three in a row. You can never really settle down because your mind is always on the go, you almost feel guilty for trying to sleep - especially when you come home from an exam. In total I would say I got about 8 hours sleep in the final 3 days of the exams. I felt like my head was going to explode. Although you are pumped with adrenaline and you do power through - almost like you get a second wind. Its just very mentally demanding, but last time was my first sitting, and now I know what to expect - have the magic three in the bag I'm hoping I wont stress myself out as much because anything I pass will be carried over.

If its your first time sitting these exams, I would recommend sitting 4 and spacing them out as much as you can. Get a feel of what they are, and how you approach them and for your second sitting maybe attempt a few together.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sophiehatter

HelMurf wrote: »
    Hi corkres1989, thanks for your response, yep the quality of the videos is an important factor to take into account!

City Colleges confirmed (today) that Brendan will be teaching Constitutional so I would still consider taking this particular class with him (but take the remaining 3 modules with Independent) because I've heard that he's a better lecturer than Veronica in Independent. But on the other hand, the manuals in Independent seem to better quality so I'm really just trying to weigh up these 2 factors in deciding which college to go with. If you or anyone else would have any further insights here it would be great.

Thanks, Helena.

I personally thought that the Independent Constitutional Manual was pretty unreadable, explained in an overly complicated way, while missing out important updates and info. It varies by topic. I never used any other college's manuals so I don't know if this was better or worse than most. I did however pass Constitutional this time around relying mainly on the manual and a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭corkres1989

I personally thought that the Independent Constitutional Manual was pretty unreadable, explained in an overly complicated way, while missing out important updates and info. It varies by topic. I never used any other college's manuals so I don't know if this was better or worse than most. I did however pass Constitutional this time around relying mainly on the manual and a nutshell.

I looked at both city and Independent manuals for my first 4 and would say hands down City manuals were clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

The Independent manuals are tough going alright and occasionally seem to emphasise some trivial things while glossing over things full questions have come up on. It's still doable with just that manual though, you just have to make sure you look at past papers so you know what to concentrate on in each chapter.

I would really reccomend the one day constitutional course in Independent if you're working just off the manuals. It really helped me to get my head around each topic and see how the different topics linked together for certain questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 legaleagle2010

ADVICE PLEASE !!

I'm working in a firm full time for the past 14 years as a Legal Executive. I have a diploma in legal studies (2007) and a Honours Degree in Business Studies (2015)

I am considering the FE1's but I want to remain working full time (for financial reasons). My boss also wants me to do them and is very supportive.

Is there anybody on here that has done this?

What amount of study is needed ?

What was your approach to getting the exams and passing?

What subjects to do first time?

and finally, is it do-able when working full time?

Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

ADVICE PLEASE !!

I'm working in a firm full time for the past 14 years as a Legal Executive. I have a diploma in legal studies (2007) and a Honours Degree in Business Studies (2015)

I am considering the FE1's but I want to remain working full time (for financial reasons). My boss also wants me to do them and is very supportive.

Thank you in advance

It is do able l worked full time & sat 5 in March. You will have to be committed to studying after work, weekends & any spare time you have.

If you feel like your are under pressure to find the time to give them your full attention l would suggest sitting 3 or 4 & give yourself the best possible chance. If you are planning to sit them in October l would suggest you start the studying now.

Hope this is of some help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭OfficeGirl2015

ADVICE PLEASE !!

Thank you in advance

DO IT!! I worked in my firm for 8 years and just passed the final four FE1s. I continued to work full-time and took no study time off before exams. It's hard work but totally worth it. I learned the manuals through the diploma in law with the law society and then straight to fe1s. Study every spare second. I picked my four favourite for the first, property, constitutional, company and contract, and then the remainder. I honestly think it's personal preference as opposed to easy /hard modules.

For the 8 weeks prior to exams I studied every lunch hour and after work 7-10 every night and sat/Sun 12-8. I found relearning the manuals and reducing eventually to index cards worked for me, not doing sample questions or learning set answers but each person is different and, again, it's down to personal preference.

It's completely doable- go for it!!! The very best of luck fellow Exec!!!!

It is do able l worked full time & sat 5 in March. You will have to be committed to studying after work, weekends & any spare time you have.

If you feel like your are under pressure to find the time to give them your full attention l would suggest sitting 3 or 4 & give yourself the best possible chance. If you are planning to sit them in October l would suggest you start the studying now.

Hope this is of some help! :)

What subjects did you sit Rebelgirl? Did you do a preparatory course?

DO IT!! I worked in my firm for 8 years and just passed the final four FE1s. I continued to work full-time and took no study time off before exams. It's hard work but totally worth it. I learned the manuals through the diploma in law with the law society and then straight to fe1s. Study every spare second. I picked my four favourite for the first, property, constitutional, company and contract, and then the remainder. I honestly think it's personal preference as opposed to easy /hard modules.

For the 8 weeks prior to exams I studied every lunch hour and after work 7-10 every night and sat/Sun 12-8. I found relearning the manuals and reducing eventually to index cards worked for me, not doing sample questions or learning set answers but each person is different and, again, it's down to personal preference.

It's completely doable- go for it!!! The very best of luck fellow Exec!!!!

Thank you Officegirl

When did you do the Diploma, i finished my last studies in Law in 2007

Can you tell me a bit about your study regime?

Is there an exam / answer technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

What subjects did you sit Rebelgirl? Did you do a preparatory course?

I sat Criminal, Tort, Equity, Constitutional & Property. I did not do any prepartory course l just used the griffith college manuals & some nutshells.

The preparatory courses might be good for exam questions & how to answer them if you are not great at sitting exams.

Thank you Officegirl

Is there an exam / answer technique?[/quote]

I did the diploma in 2014-2015 then fe1s October 2015 and March 2016.

I literally just looked at the exam calendar and then went through the subjects in that order...condensing chapters into a couple A4 pages and making sure I understood as I went. Then when you have all subjects condensed, with 6-8 weeks to go to the exams, i went back and revised the notes until I could condense to index cards. I worked on the 100 miles wide and 10 feet deep mode of learning - learning everything in good detail instead of 10 miles x 100 feet being just certain topics in great detail. and then just go over and over notes/index cards until exam time.

For caselaw, I only really learned one case per point....rarely remembering citation and year, just names usually and one liner on what the case was, i think this averaged out to having about 5-10 cases per question.

Exam technique was just the standard ILAC -

introduction (what's the question about and how you're going to tackle it)

Law - what law/caselaw applies

Application of the law/cases (ie how it's similar to the points of the question, allowing you come to the conclusion you reach)

Conclusion - the overall answer to the question/advice to client (whichever is applicable)
    :)

Thank you. Good to know it can be done while working. Any chance I could see a chapter of your revised notes?! I need to make my mind up, courses start next month :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Thank you Officegirl

Is there an exam / answer technique?

I did the diploma in 2014-2015 then fe1s October 2015 and March 2016.

I literally just looked at the exam calendar and then went through the subjects in that order...condensing chapters into a couple A4 pages and making sure I understood as I went. Then when you have all subjects condensed, with 6-8 weeks to go to the exams, i went back and revised the notes until I could condense to index cards. I worked on the 100 miles wide and 10 feet deep mode of learning - learning everything in good detail instead of 10 miles x 100 feet being just certain topics in great detail. and then just go over and over notes/index cards until exam time.

For caselaw, I only really learned one case per point....rarely remembering citation and year, just names usually and one liner on what the case was, i think this averaged out to having about 5-10 cases per question.

Exam technique was just the standard ILAC -

introduction (what's the question about and how you're going to tackle it)

Law - what law/caselaw applies

Application of the law/cases (ie how it's similar to the points of the question, allowing you come to the conclusion you reach)

Conclusion - the overall answer to the question/advice to client (whichever is applicable)
    :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Officegirl,

Thanks very much for all your helpful advice! I'm planning to sit 5 in October - and it's good to hear that these exams really are do-able, and there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Do you mind me asking what kind of hours you were studying prior to the 8 weeks exam lead-up? I'm just trying to get an idea of the kind of hours that are required to get through these exams.

And just in relation to the exams, were you confident enough after all of them that you had made it past the magic 50?

Thanks again for all the great advice - it's great to talk to someone that has them all behind them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EdgeFour

Quick question I assume if u do the Griffith college course that you can use their library as I will find it hard to find a place to study.

Monkey09 wrote: »

Hi Officegirl,

Thanks very much for all your helpful advice! I'm planning to sit 5 in October - and it's good to hear that these exams really are do-able, and there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Do you mind me asking what kind of hours you were studying prior to the 8 weeks exam lead-up? I'm just trying to get an idea of the kind of hours that are required to get through these exams.

And just in relation to the exams, were you confident enough after all of them that you had made it past the magic 50?

Thanks again for all the great advice - it's great to talk to someone that has them all behind them! :)

Before the 8 weeks, I had done the Diploma in Law in the Law Society. So running through the chapters, watching the lectures, and doing sample questions at the end. I think if you have already done a refresher course/ preparation course you could just run into the 8 weeks. If you are doing this without a course I would say you will need to be disciplined and set yourself a timetable. Every person is different and every day is different. Some days, I could learn 2, 3 chapters in one 3 hour sitting and other days I would struggle through a half chapter in a 3 hour sitting. You have to find your own average.

The most important thing is to understand the topic. Know it enough so that you could explain it in laymens terms to another person - thats when you have it. worry about caselaw or legislation after that.

I was never as confident enough going in/out of the exams as I would like to be because you really do not know what to expect. Some I thought I did really well on, and others I was convinced I hadnt done enough. I think it depends on the pressure you put yourself under and your ability to cope with the stress. I had a total meltdown before Equity, forgot everything, refused to get in my car, the works!! Eventually went in, sat the exam and thought I did so badly. I was more shocked than anyone when I came out with a 62.

The universal truth in these exams is that you can never tell. What the specific examiner is looking for, how he wants it outlaid and of course, how specific your answer is to the question actually asked.

I would be happy to help you along in any way I can. And of course, the BEST of luck with your studying going forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Before the 8 weeks, I had done the Diploma in Law in the Law Society. So running through the chapters, watching the lectures, and doing sample questions at the end. I think if you have already done a refresher course/ preparation course you could just run into the 8 weeks. If you are doing this without a course I would say you will need to be disciplined and set yourself a timetable. Every person is different and every day is different. Some days, I could learn 2, 3 chapters in one 3 hour sitting and other days I would struggle through a half chapter in a 3 hour sitting. You have to find your own average.

The most important thing is to understand the topic. Know it enough so that you could explain it in laymens terms to another person - thats when you have it. worry about caselaw or legislation after that.

I was never as confident enough going in/out of the exams as I would like to be because you really do not know what to expect. Some I thought I did really well on, and others I was convinced I hadnt done enough. I think it depends on the pressure you put yourself under and your ability to cope with the stress. I had a total meltdown before Equity, forgot everything, refused to get in my car, the works!! Eventually went in, sat the exam and thought I did so badly. I was more shocked than anyone when I came out with a 62.

The universal truth in these exams is that you can never tell. What the specific examiner is looking for, how he wants it outlaid and of course, how specific your answer is to the question actually asked.

I would be happy to help you along in any way I can. And of course, the BEST of luck with your studying going forward!

Hi OfficeGirl.

Thanks for all the really good tips - they'll definitely be put to good use! Prior to the 8-week hard-core exam revision, what kind of hours were you putting in? Just curious how many hours you were doing over the evenings/weekends. I find it easy enough to study during the week, but weekends are another story unfortunately!

Also, when you mentioned about doing sample answers, did you focus a lot on the Examiner's reports? I had a first glance at them today - and was overcome with the detail and high level of knowledge that's expected.. :o

And final question (promise) - what length were your answers roughly. Just have no idea how I'd cover all the Examiner's points in detail in only a few pages.

Thanks so much again for all your help - you've really helped to clarify a lot of questions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

Hi guys, just a quick question. Would 2015 manuals and lectures suffice for Tort, constitutional and EU or would buying 2016 versions be advisable?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

Hi guys, just a quick question. Would 2015 manuals and lectures suffice for Tort, constitutional and EU or would buying 2016 versions be advisable?

Thanks!

2015 is fine. I used manuals dating from 2014 in the most recent session without any problem.

The recommended reading for the syllabus lists textbooks published as much as ten or 15 years ago.

You can always check up the most recent Judgements on the Curia's website or Bailii.

You don't need to buy the football team's new jersey just because they changed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

2015 is fine. I used manuals dating from 2014 in the most recent session without any problem.

The recommended reading for the syllabus lists textbooks published as much as ten or 15 years ago.

You can always check up the most recent Judgements on the Curia's website or Bailii.

You don't need to buy the football team's new jersey just because they changed it...

Perfect, thanks for the response! My 2014 EU manual will do by the sounds of it, a few quid saved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kd2121

Any girls starting PPC1 in September and looking for accommodation I have just got a room for September in house on Aughrim Street on North Circular Road and they are looking for one other girl also starting PPC1 in September. Its a big double room in a lovely house. You would have your own room. It's owner occupied but she lives downstairs and we would have our own sitting room and space upstairs. Owner seems really nice and its about a 10-15 minute walk from the law society.

I can send it on to you by PM as I can't post the link on this. If you're interested just message the advertiser through daft and let him know your going to the law society in September.

Any questions feel free to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

So I know this is a big ask but wondering if there is someone that can help me out. I secured an internship for the month of June in Dublin and am starting to get very worried as I can't find accommodation anywhere beaing in mind its only for one month ! Does anyone know anyone that possibly needs a room filled for June or what did people do in the same situation?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Hello all! subjecting myself to my first sitting in October.. What are your opinions on attempting five? it's been a while since I studied the subjects in university but I will have ample time I think..

I'm thinking of doing contract, equity, property, criminal and I'm not sure what to pick as a fifth? (if I do decide to do 5).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement