Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Eh am I seeing this right?? Independent Colleges library now only open until late afternoon?? And closed Saturdays? What in God's name is that about. Most of us work and are paying top dollar and can't even access our entitlements????

• Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

That would be great thanks!

This is my first sitting. I'm doing Contract, Equity and Company as well.

Anyone recommend Griffiths college. This bsh1t with the reduction of vital library times in the evening has made my mind up. No reduction in fee either. You pay for facilities yet can't use them.

Never seen the likes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 irishasj

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help or guidance.

I will do my first exams this October and I don't know anyone who has done them or studied law so I am getting a bit over whelmed with it already :( I am away for July so can't do the courses, but will do the one day intense course in September. I am hoping to do contract, equity, tort and constitutional. Does any body have any tips on where to start or material to use? I bought notes off someone on gumtree, which has pass papers, grids and summary notes.

Any advice would be great if you have time. Feel free to private message me. Thanks so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Mileyt wrote:
    Constitutional Hi all just looking at the past paper for March just gone. Two questions I was not prepared for nor had nothing on my study notes for was the intro of 42a. Can anyone shed some light on what case law would be mentioned in this. Secondly, the Jordan v min for children seems based on referendums with regard to article 42a what case law would you refer. I've done a little reading but not sure if I'm on the right track just need someone's opinion ....thank you in advance !

Anyone ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Dr Ice

Hi all,

I am totally new to this – not only the FE1 Exams but also law as a discipline – so I’m looking for some advice as to where to start.

I recently graduated from Maynooth with a PhD in history but the job market in academia is fairly bleak and besides I don’t feel ready to go all corduroy pants and tweed coat wearing crazy academic on the world just yet, so here I am. I’ve always had an interest in law which increased during the course of my PhD due to the nature of my topic and as changes in disciplines go it doesn’t seem to be such a big jump.

I suppose it would make sense to sign up to one of the prep courses but unfortunately this isn’t an option for me due to financial reasons. However, there seems to be a lot of information online, this thread is great and as I’m in part-time employment in Maynooth I have access to the library and its online resources.

Considering I’m not a law graduate (I see that many of you are) and have no formal education or work experience in the field, it might be too big of an ask to successfully sit three or four exams in October but I’m motivated, I’m used to putting long hours and as I see it I’ve got nothing to lose.

So again, where to start?

I have a decent grasp of constitutional due to my background in Irish history although it seems to be considered one of the tougher subjects? What do people generally think are the easier subjects or what would be good ones to take together? Contract, Equity and Company? I realise that this is probably a matter of preference but I don’t even have enough of familiarity with the other subjects to have a preference. So, generally speaking, what would you recommend?

Your thoughts on this and any other advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 legaleagle2010

Would anyone recommend just sitting 3 papers and hope to pass them in the first sitting?

what subjects have the least material - i just want to get the first 3 and then i can sit one or two at a time then.

I haven't registered for a prep course yet and dont know if they would take me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Would anyone recommend just sitting 3 papers and hope to pass them in the first sitting?

what subjects have the least material - i just want to get the first 3 and then i can sit one or two at a time then.

I haven't registered for a prep course yet and dont know if they would take me at this stage.

Personally I would recommend four just in case one doesn't go well. It's horrible to have your first one not go to plan and get disheartened about the rest of them.

Equity, Property and Contract have the least amount of learning and they also share cases so there's less to remember in that sense. I would recommend Criminal or Company as a fourth; they're some of the nicer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

Yoop wrote: »
    Personally I would recommend four just in case one doesn't go well. It's horrible to have your first one not go to plan and get disheartened about the rest of them.

Equity, Property and Contract have the least amount of learning and they also share cases so there's less to remember in that sense. I would recommend
    Criminal or Company as a fourth; they're some of the nicer ones.

3 or 4--it will also depend on how much time you can dedicate to reading.

Contract has a lot of analytical concepts that are not always intuitive, and can be tricky in parts. There are a fair number of cases too. I think criminal is easier

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone might have any solutions for past Constitutional questions, please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 tednugent13

Anyone out there fail an exam and pass it on the second attempt? I failed one in the last sitting and my confidence has taken a serious hit.

I've most of these exams got and feel like throwing in the towel. Anyone know a thick person that passed these so I can feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Dr Ice wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am totally new to this – not only the FE1 Exams but also law as a discipline – so I’m looking for some advice as to where to start.

I recently graduated from Maynooth with a PhD in history but the job market in academia is fairly bleak and besides I don’t feel ready to go all corduroy pants and tweed coat wearing crazy academic on the world just yet, so here I am. I’ve always had an interest in law which increased during the course of my PhD due to the nature of my topic and as changes in disciplines go it doesn’t seem to be such a big jump.

I suppose it would make sense to sign up to one of the prep courses but unfortunately this isn’t an option for me due to financial reasons. However, there seems to be a lot of information online, this thread is great and as I’m in part-time employment in Maynooth I have access to the library and its online resources.

Considering I’m not a law graduate (I see that many of you are) and have no formal education or work experience in the field, it might be too big of an ask to successfully sit three or four exams in October but I’m motivated, I’m used to putting long hours and as I see it I’ve got nothing to lose.

I have a decent grasp of constitutional due to my background in Irish history although it seems to be considered one of the tougher subjects? What do people generally think are the easier subjects or what would be good ones to take together? Contract, Equity and Company? I realise that this is probably a matter of preference but I don’t even have enough of familiarity with the other subjects to have a preference. So, generally speaking, what would you recommend?

I would recommend getting your hands on some manuals and past papers, the manuals by in large offer condensed and up to date caselaw.

The main point to remember is that you only need 50% to pass, stick to the basics this being caselaw and legislation, academic commentary looks great but not required. These exams are really quantity over quality.

PM me if you have any other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Dr Ice wrote: »
    Hi all,

Contract, Equity and Property are a good mix due to overlap of principles and case law.

You could do the courses if you think you need to be taught by someone. Otherwise, you might be better off investing in manuals and spending a fraction of the cost of the courses on having a solicitor/barrister correct sample answers for you and give you feedback.

I should mention that Independent Colleges do this weekly in their prep course (not sure about the others), but you'll get a better price just paying for answer correction. There's a list of grinds providers on the Law Society website. Price up with a couple of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shimmy!

Does anybody have an up to date Criminal exam grid that they wouldn't mind forwarding me on please? I have grids from most of the others in exchange.

In relation to those sitting the fe1s for the first time - I planned to sit four in my first go last October, ended up dropping Constitutional the day after my first exam when I realised there was not enough time to cover enough for the others and pass the magic three on my first go. It worked for me and I passed all three, but if anyone is only planning on doing three from the start, make sure you cover enough topics in all them so that you're not panicking in the exam. It's an awful feeling knowing that you don't have any room for mistakes because you're only doing three but it can be done. For me it was tough trying to get it all done because I was/am working full time on top of the study, but hoping it will be all worth it in the end!

Shimmy! wrote: »
    Does anybody have an up to date Criminal exam grid that they wouldn't mind forwarding me on please? I have grids from most of the others in exchange.

In relation to those sitting the fe1s for the first time - I planned to sit four in my first go last October, ended up dropping Constitutional the day after my first exam when I realised there was not enough time to cover enough for the others and pass the magic three on my first go. It worked for me and I passed all three, but if anyone is only planning on doing three from the start, make sure you cover enough topics in all them so that you're not panicking in the exam. It's an awful feeling knowing that you don't have any room for mistakes because you're only doing three but it can be done. For me it was tough trying to get it all done because I was/am working full time on top of the study, but hoping it will be all worth it in the end!

pm your email re exam grid

So hard to get into study momentum. Only just applied with griffith and still have to pick up manuals. (Independent if you are listening, I can imagine there are lot more students going to choose Griffith after your new library hours reduction policy)
    Need to sit down tomorrow after work and put a study plan together. Its great having all these videos and notes and manuals and answers etc but its so hard to get time to build a bit of study momentum!

The thing is, I actully like studying in a way when i get into it. Its just jump starting the engine and getting into cruise control which frustrates me!
    So like all good January diet plans Ive given myself the last month, with the football, a couple of weddings and the occasionl bit of sunshine as my Christmas/NY period. And I'm going to kick into gear tomorrow................no really I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭makemecrazy

Does anyone know what the 9 EU case notes in March where? Or if you could pm me the paper that would be lovely!

Does anyone know where you can purchase the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 for the purposes of bringing in an unmarked copy into the contract exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Does anyone know where you can purchase the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 for the purposes of bringing in an unmarked copy into the contract exam?

The OPW run the Government Publication offices now. Email or ring them. Think it's around €16 or something for the two.

You can highlight and tab them freely, btw. Just don't write anything but your exam seat number!

Anyone have any idea what came up in March 2016 for the Tort Law exam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Recall getting the 1893 Act from HMSO in London

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

Anyone have any idea what came up in March 2016 for the Tort Law exam?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Redhighking, the following came up on the March 2016 paper:

Trespass to the Person
    Standard / Duty of Care
    Nuisance
    Rylands v Fletcher
    Ordinary Negligence
    Vicarious Liability
    Passing Off
    Occupier’s Liability
    Damages / Quantum

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Would anyone have the constitutional law exam grid from independent colleges? oraghabd@tcd.ie is my email

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

by any chance did anyone have an interview with McDowell Purcell for a traineeship last week? Still waiting to hear back :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tobeginbegin

Does anyone have a copy of the Equity Questions for the Spring 2016 paper that they could pm me?

Happy to send on criminal, property, contract or EU in return

bluntspoon wrote: »
    Hi Redhighking, the following came up on the March 2016 paper:

Trespass to the Person
    Standard / Duty of Care
    Nuisance
    Rylands v Fletcher
    Ordinary Negligence
    Vicarious Liability
    Passing Off
    Occupier’s Liability
    Damages / Quantum

Thanks Bluntspoon thats great, hopefully I can return the favour at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mockman

would anyone be kind enough to send me grids for Tort, Contract, Property and Equity. This will be my first sitting and I would really appreciate it!!

Any recommendations on what to study for EU?
    I'm not sure if the below is considered too much or too little? If anyone had any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it! I was thinking of:

1. Institutions;
    2. Sources of law (Primary Conferral & Secondary art 114 and 352);
    3. General principles of EU law (Fundamental rights, Subsidiarity & Proportionality)
    4. Impact of National Legal Systems: Supremacy and Direct Effect;
    5. Preliminary Reference Procedure & Art 267;
    6. Infringement Proceedings - Enforcement;
    7. Free Movement of Goods;
    8. Free Movement of Services/Establishment/Workers Question;
    9. Citizenship;
    10. Equality;
    11. Competition law; and
    12. Case notes

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bman209

Hey! Would anyone have up-to-date exam grids for any of the following exams:

Equity
    Criminal

Any assistance whatsoever would be very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 CFeery

Does anyone know what the 9 EU case notes in March where? Or if you could pm me the paper that would be lovely!

I have the EU exam paper for 2016. I can email it to you if you want.

Do you have a TORT exam grid by any chance. Even if its a year or so out of date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement