Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Mod edit

I had class with Patricia before. She's lovely and is helpful but I found that she mostly just read straight from the manual and once or twice gave conflicting information that left me confused as to what the case really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Mod edit.

Ouch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oraghabd

Does anyone have an up to date constitutional law exam grid?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Does anyone know if changes to the syllabus are made every year ? Should I be safe if I want to do some studying for the Fe1s based on the 2016 syllabus even if I intend to take the FE1s in 2017 ?
    https://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/FE-1/FE1SyllabusSpring2016.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭corkres1989

Hi All. For anyone who has sat Company..... Did you go ahead and buy the Act so you could tab it etc? I know they have copies in there for you, but it may be worth buying it just to tab it as we get marks for referencing the section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FE1 Question

Hi All. For anyone who has sat Company..... Did you go ahead and buy the Act so you could tab it etc? I know they have copies in there for you, but it may be worth buying it just to tab it as we get marks for referencing the section.

Hi, I would recommend buying the Act now, they give it out in the exam but I found it better to have my own one as you are familiar with it and can tab/highlight/underline key provisions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Do they give it out?! That's new. Could have saved myself a lot of money!

Yes I was told by someone who sat it last sitting that they have them and you get one on the day. The thing is I was told citing sections is important for this exam unlike Equity and Criminal etc where the section number is not as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

They do give it out alright. But it is a bit of a mess. It is all just photocopied pages and it is about as thick as three telephone books. And obviously it won't be tabbed or highlighted or anything because you won't have seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain they only gave it out in the last sitting because it was the first one to only be answered with the new Act; I know they didn't give any last October.

• Advertisement

Guys, is there a point in getting the manuals if I have the core legal textbooks for each topic as well as the nutshells ?

angela1711 wrote: »
    Guys, is there a point in getting the manuals if I have the core legal textbooks for each topic as well as the nutshells ?

Personally I found that lecture notes and textbooks were more than enough to pass; I bought a couple of manuals but didn't find that they added or helped much so I didn't bother with them for the rest. I would imagine you should be alright with those.

Yoop wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain they only gave it out in the last sitting because it was the first one to only be answered with the new Act; I know they didn't give any last October.

Thanks! I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it so I can tab it myself! How is everyone getting on with study?

Personally I found that lecture notes and textbooks were more than enough to pass; I bought a couple of manuals but didn't find that they added or helped much so I didn't bother with them for the rest. I would imagine you should be alright with those.

Right, thanks for that. I was just wondering cause loads of people had previously said that there is no way to pass the Fe1s without the manuals as the examiners are looking for a different type of answers to those required in undergrad exams

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

I find the manuals better than textbooks as they are created for the fe1s and you could get lost in the books as there is so much information

can the companies act you bring in be highlighted so you have the relevant sections for the exam ready or does it have to be clean? surely you can not have any written notes on the act?

20029422 wrote: »
    I find the manuals better than textbooks as they are created for the fe1s and you could get lost in the books as there is so much information

Is there an official website from which you can order them ? I would like to have a look at the prices for new and used manuals

Is there an official website from which you can order them ? I would like to have a look at the prices for new and used manuals
    I think it is difficult to get the new ones as Griffith only send out manuals if your on the course so your best option would be to try buy second hand off people who are finished there is different manuals from each of the fe1 colleges.I am not certain on the availability of second hand fe1 manuals

Right, thanks for that. I was just wondering cause loads of people had previously said that there is no way to pass the Fe1s without the manuals as the examiners are looking for a different type of answers to those required in undergrad exams

Not all the manuals will give pointers on how to answer the questions. I would recommend getting the papers and reports from the Law Society; a lot cheaper and you'll see what the examiners are looking for.

Not all the manuals will give pointers on how to answer the questions. I would recommend getting the papers and reports from the Law Society; a lot cheaper and you'll see what the examiners are looking for.

I just received the 2016 exam papers in the post and had a look at them. I am not actually sitting any Fe1's until 2017 but just wanted to know how to prepare for them in advance. Those questions just seem to be a more complex version of my undergrad exams.

• Advertisement

I just received the 2016 exam papers in the post and had a look at them. I am not actually sitting any Fe1's until 2017 but just wanted to know how to prepare for them in advance. Those questions just seem to be a more complex version of my undergrad exams.

That's smart, take the pressure off later. I've still got three left but for the ones I did I really just answered them like any undergrad question with a bit of tailoring to the examiner's requirements. I think the main difference from undergrad is the volume of information to learn and the mix of topics in the questions. Best of luck with the prep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LegalLaaaaady

Hello everyone. I am sitting FE1s in October and only started studying. I recently received a first class honour overall in my LLB in May but I am so overwhelmed by the amount of work required (not to mention I am working full-time and have no time booked off to study)

Does anybody have any good tips on how to manage study/work?

Much appreciated

What is everyone's opinion on which subjects to pick for the first ever Fe1 sitting ? I was thinking of doing 4 cause I think that 5 may be overwhelming. So I was either thinking of doing criminal, property, equity and contract or criminal, eu, property and equity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

What is everyone's opinion on which subjects to pick for the first ever Fe1 sitting ? I was thinking of doing 4 cause I think that 5 may be overwhelming. So I was either thinking of doing criminal, property, equity and contract or criminal, eu, property and equity.

first 4. Equity ties into property and also contract. And Criminal is relatively handy compared to others. You need to get through and get your first 3 and cant afford burdening yourself with subjects like constitutional and property which have a large syllabus (as does Tort).

I didn't realise at the time and done Contract, Tort, Constitutional and EU and got through but only just. Most of the pressure is the stress of getting first three out of the way. Having to repeat two subjects you had already passed would be very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Hi Guys- back to the study today after weeks of avoiding it! Failed Contract and Tort last time so back with a bang this time hopefully to pass my final two..

Just wondering if somebody could help me out with a question on the Contract paper last sitting.. It was question 2, second part involving Sinead the farmer:-

"Sinead purchased a 6 month old tractor for her farm from Tractor Supplies for 15k. When she purchased the tractor she told Max the Sales Rep that she needed the tractor to access fields up steep hills. Max reassured her the tractor would be "great on rough terrain". No documents were signed during the transaction howevr Sinead receives a short receipt for payment. However when Sinead takes the tractor out on the farm it is not suitable for going up high fields and regularly stalls and breakdowns going up steep hills. When she complains to Max he says that "all sales are final" and that she has no rights as she is not a consumer. Advise Sinead. For the purposes of this question please assume that Sinead is not a consumer.".

I can see how she is not a consumer as she purchased a good that is through the course of her normal business but how would you expand on that? The manual is pretty limited. Would you try and turn the question on its head and go through a speel of explaining what exactly a consumer is and how the legislation wouldnt apply to Sinead? Maybe I'm missing something really obvious but to me going that approach would just be a load of waffle? The Q really phased me in the last sitting- I can't remember what I wrote but it was obviously sh*te as I failed ha!!

Any help would be appreciated :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

smeal wrote: »
    Hi Guys- back to the study today after weeks of avoiding it! Failed Contract and Tort last time so back with a bang this time hopefully to pass my final two..

Just wondering if somebody could help me out with a question on the Contract paper last sitting.. It was question 2, second part involving Sinead the farmer:-

"Sinead purchased a 6 month old tractor for her farm from Tractor Supplies for 15k. When she purchased the tractor she told Max the Sales Rep that she needed the tractor to access fields up steep hills. Max reassured her the tractor would be "great on rough terrain". No documents were signed during the transaction howevr Sinead receives a short receipt for payment. However when Sinead takes the tractor out on the farm it is not suitable for going up high fields and regularly stalls and breakdowns going up steep hills. When she complains to Max he says that "all sales are final" and that she has no rights as she is not a consumer. Advise Sinead. For the purposes of this question please assume that Sinead is not a consumer.".

I can see how she is not a consumer as she purchased a good that is through the course of her normal business but how would you expand on that? The manual is pretty limited. Would you try and turn the question on its head and go through a speel of explaining what exactly a consumer is and how the legislation wouldnt apply to Sinead? Maybe I'm missing something really obvious but to me going that approach would just be a load of waffle? The Q really phased me in the last sitting- I can't remember what I wrote but it was obviously sh*te as I failed ha!!

Any help would be appreciated :)

The question specifically states that she is not a consumer, so you don't discuss consumer law at all. The question is about what remedies someone has when they do not have the benefit of consumer protection legislation.

The question is a basic breach of contract one where you try to find a way of suing the seller for her money back. You would have to discuss whether the seller's assurance about the tractor's capabilities forms a part of the contract and whether "great on rough terrain" includes steep hills etc. You could well end up getting bogged down in a show-everything-you-know-about-breach-of-contract situation where you are discussing the Statute of Frauds at length, whereas a passing mention is all that's needed.

I don't know anything about tractors but I'd certainly be pointing out that €15,000 appears to be extraordinarily cheap for a brand new (6 month old) tractor with sufficient horse power to get up steep inclines and looking to explore caveat emptor in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

The question specifically states that she is not a consumer, so you don't discuss consumer law at all. The question is about what remedies someone has when they do not have the benefit of consumer protection legislation.

The question is a basic breach of contract one where you try to find a way of suing the seller for her money back. You would have to discuss whether the seller's assurance about the tractor's capabilities forms a part of the contract and whether "great on rough terrain" includes steep hills etc. You could well end up getting bogged down in a show-everything-you-know-about-breach-of-contract situation where you are discussing the Statute of Frauds at length, whereas a passing mention is all that's needed.

I don't know anything about tractors but I'd certainly be pointing out that €15,000 appears to be extraordinarily cheap for a brand new (6 month old) tractor with sufficient horse power to get up steep inclines and looking to explore caveat emptor in that regard.

Thank you so much! Its mad how bogged down you can get into these questions and completely miss what the question is even asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hannahs8q9

20029422 wrote: »
    can the companies act you bring in be highlighted so you have the relevant sections for the exam ready or does it have to be clean? surely you can not have any written notes on the act?

You can highlight and underline the Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

Might be bit of a long shot but does anyone have a copy of the Companies Act that I can bring into exam? OPW wants 111€ and Bloomsbury Professional want 95€.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 maccersc

CFeery wrote: »

I have the EU exam paper for 2016. I can email it to you if you want.

Do you have a TORT exam grid by any chance. Even if its a year or so out of date.

Hey - I have a Tort exam grid, a little out of date/ Would you be able to email to 2016 exam paper for EU? Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement