Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Hello! This might seem like a daft question but I'm sitting the exams in October and was wondering if anybody knew if it's okay to abbreviate in the exams? I know at university level the lectures don't mind it at all and would in fact encourage it to save students time. By abbreviate I mean 'ct' for court or 'sa 1965' for succession act etc (obviously writing it out normally first and using a reference such as succession act 1965 (hereafter known as 'sa 1965')).

Does anyone have any advice as to whether this is allowed? Thanks!

I abbreviate the legislation, not too sure about anything else though. I don't remember any examiner ever saying anything about it in the reports so you might get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

Hi,

I know it's quite subjective but would anyone recommend which 4 exams to study/sit first? I looked through several threads but can't find any advice on this. It would be beneficial to get off to a good start studying and build on it. I'm basically at stage zero and looking for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

fearmhor18 wrote: »
    Hi,

I know it's quite subjective but would anyone recommend which 4 exams to study/sit first? I looked through several threads but can't find any advice on this. It would be beneficial to get off to a good start studying and build on it. I'm basically at stage zero and looking for help.

Are you doing the exams in October or next year? The general consensus I suppose would be Equity, Contract, Criminal & Property as there is slight overlap with contract equity and property. Criminal then is arguably the easiest of the remaining subjects. Again it is all down to personal preference and what you are good at or have studied before.

EU, Constitutional, Tort & Company are a little more thorough but it is a good idea to split EU & Constitutional as they are quite complex and hard to do in the same sitting.

If you are looking for the easy pass I would suggest Equity, Contract, Property & Criminal. If you want to make life easier for yourself perhaps swapping Criminal for EU/Constitutional would benefit you in the second sitting.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

lawgal wrote: »
    Are you doing the exams in October or next year? The general consensus I suppose would be Equity, Contract, Criminal & Property as there is slight overlap with contract equity and property. Criminal then is arguably the easiest of the remaining subjects. Again it is all down to personal preference and what you are good at or have studied before.

EU, Constitutional, Tort & Company are a little more thorough but it is a good idea to split EU & Constitutional as they are quite complex and hard to do in the same sitting.

If you are looking for the easy pass I would suggest Equity, Contract, Property & Criminal. If you want to make life easier for yourself perhaps swapping Criminal for EU/Constitutional would benefit you in the second sitting.

Hope this helps

Hey, thank you so much for the advice . I'm only starting to study now so most likely it would be next April at earliest before I sit them. I don't have a degree background in law but done Political Science. I'm just getting the basics from Nutshells and building on that. Plan is to hit the books hard and do an online preparation course so I can sit some next April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

<<Mod
    sorry cannot advertise stuff on this forum
    Apart from that, good luck to ye all examwise
    Happiest days etc

• Advertisement

<<Mod
    sorry cannot advertise stuff on this forum
    Apart from that, good luck to ye all examwise
    Happiest days etc

sorry, wasn't advertising. Merely mainly querying whether the Company Act is recycable. (ie if unmarked can it be used again or is it stamped beforeyou receive it at the exam)

Anyway, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 irishasj

Out of curiosity, why was there two sittings in Spring 2014?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

irishasj wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why was there two sittings in Spring 2014?
    As I recall there was one set of dates sent out and applications accepted. Then they realised that there was a booking issue with the venue so tried to change the dates, bringing them forward to an earlier date.

Blue murder was screamed, Facebook petitions started, responsible adults sent out to protest. The Law Society relented and threw on a second set of dates because they looked deep into their hearts and saw the error of their ways. The prospect of an extra set of exam fees had no bearing on this.

The fun and games starts in this thread about here.

Thanks Robbo, sound's like a nightmare!

Can anyone enlighten me about bringing legislation into exams? I'm doing Contract, Tort and Equity - what am I able to bring in and what's the procedure?

Thanks Robbo, sound's like a nightmare!

Can anyone enlighten me about bringing legislation into exams? I'm doing Contract, Tort and Equity - what am I able to bring in and what's the procedure?

Permitted legislation for each exam is listed on the syllabus. You just drop it in at the exam centre a day before the exam or on the day and get it after about an hour. Tabbing, highlighting etc is fine, just no writing except your exam number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

Yoop wrote: »
    Permitted legislation for each exam is listed on the syllabus. You just drop it in at the exam centre a day before the exam or on the day and get it after about an hour. Tabbing, highlighting etc is fine, just no writing except your exam number.

For some reason I thought they give you the legislation during the exam no?

What are people studying for Property btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emmet7

Hi all, hope study is going well! Any chance anyone could set me up with a criminal exam grid? I would be forever grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Do any of you guys have Sample answers for the march sittings of Criminal,Equity,Tort and Contract? I would be eternally grateful.

Cannot seem to get my head around Tort.I'm fine until it's time to answer a problem question,my mind just goes blank.Really need to get my **** together before October.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

What are people studying for Tort Law?'

I see that Vicarious Liability, Occupier's Liability and Passing-Off came up last sitting, would it be wise to leave these topics out for the October sitting?

odwyer94 wrote: »
    For some reason I thought they give you the legislation during the exam no?

What are people studying for Property btw?

No, you have to bring your own. They gave the Companies Act in March because it was the first sitting with the new legislation only, but other than that you have to buy it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tobeginbegin

Hi there

If anyone had the Company paper for Spring 2016 it would be much appreciated.

Also looking for grids in Company, Equity and EU please.

Thanks!

What are people studying for Tort Law?'

I see that Vicarious Liability, Occupier's Liability and Passing-Off came up last sitting, would it be wise to leave these topics out for the October sitting?

Occupiers' Liability and Vicarious Liability came up on both sittings in 2014 and neither appeared in 2015. Not sure if there's much to be gained from that but I'm covering both, just to be sure. The examiner seems to consider Passing Off an easy enough question so that might be safer to leave out.

Thanks a million. So I can just print off a copy of the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of
    Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 and give it in on the morning an hour before the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Thanks a million. So I can just print off a copy of the Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of
    Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 and give it in on the morning an hour before the exam?

I don't think print offs of the legislation off Irish statute book etc are allowed.. Someone will correct me if I am wrong I'm sure but I think you've to buy a copy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kd2121

I don't think print offs of the legislation off Irish statute book etc are allowed.. Someone will correct me if I am wrong I'm sure but I think you've to buy a copy

They have to be official copies, can't be print offs!

• Advertisement

kd2121 wrote: »
    They have to be official copies, can't be print offs!

Just ordered them. Thanks a million for your replies. Happy studying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

No, you have to bring your own. They gave the Companies Act in March because it was the first sitting with the new legislation only, but other than that you have to buy it, unfortunately.

Is it worth buying legislation or would you be better off just learning it? Haven't come across too much to learn with the subjects I'm studying but I've only just started pretty much.

odwyer94 wrote: »
    Is it worth buying legislation or would you be better off just learning it? Haven't come across too much to learn with the subjects I'm studying but I've only just started pretty much.

Honestly I think it depends on yourself, the subject and how much time you have. I passed Company and Property without the legislation and I'm not getting any for Contract. I will definitely be using it for EU though. Some topics are more technical and require more reference to the Acts but others have little enough so it's easier to learn it instead of trying to find it in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 binkevii

Just ordered them. Thanks a million for your replies. Happy studying :)

where did you order them from? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭law_student1

Hi guys,

Could anyone provide me with an up to date Constitutional grid? Can offer EU and Tort in return!

Also, what (if anything) do ye guys reckon can be left out for Constitutional? The course is just so bloody massive!!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

binkevii wrote:
    where did you order them from? Thanks

The website for the Office for the Commissioner of Public Works 😎

what can you bring into criminal exam??

what can you bring into criminal exam??

Yourself and some pens :) no legislation or anything unfortunately.

Yourself and some pens :) no legislation or anything unfortunately.

It would be a ridiculously easy exam if you were entitled to take in legislation! Just chancing my arm!

Mod
    Enquiry about trading deleted. Not allowed on this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 cblack18

I've covered everything in EU except for Private International Law, I was told before it doesn't really come up often. Would I be ok leaving this out if i had everything else covered? Thanks :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement