Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

cblack18 wrote: »
    I've covered everything in EU except for Private International Law, I was told before it doesn't really come up often. Would I be ok leaving this out if i had everything else covered? Thanks :)

If you have covered everything else you should be fine, as the exam is 8 questions do 5 so at worst you will only be able to answer on 7 questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Anyone worried Corporate personality ( Salomon) wont make an appearance. The trend of its inclusion is very odd. 6 exams in a row followed by its inclusion only once in 6 years followed by 5 years in a row followed by a gap of 3 years followed by 3 exams in a row to this date! Baffling stuff!
    I know it runs into so many other elements and is critical but it would be very frustrating if its not on the paper next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 candles_

Does anyone know if its important to reference the year of the case or is the name sufficient?
    Also if you reference a case do you have to outline the facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

candles_ wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its important to reference the year of the case or is the name sufficient?
    Also if you reference a case do you have to outline the facts?

I usually just include the year if it's a very recent case or a very old case (1700s etc). Other than that, if I have time and I can remember it I throw it in, but I don't worry too much about it and I don't think it has affected my marks so far.

Outlining facts I imagine depends on the type of question; probably more relevant for problem questions, distinguishing cases and so on. I don't go too much into the facts in essays unless the facts are the one of the important things; different factual situations leading to same conclusion or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveKit

Anyone over done the Independent Colleges intensive one day revision course? Thinking of doing the Tort one but 150 squid for 1 day is harsh enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Anybody Doing Contract In October? Any Suggestions on What To Leave Out?

To what extent in Company law can you use the actual dictum in the COMPANY LAW ACT to answer a question. Certain essay questions could easily be answered merely quoting the text!

There has to be a line where quoting the actual provisions ceases, no?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This applies to any body of law where there has been recent legislative reform but you always have to read a new Act against the background of judicial interpretation that has gone before.

Even as a practising professional, this is true.

Even where there is ostensibly a fulsome change to the law as a result of the new Act eg, the apparent removal of the Doctrine of Ultra Vires, you have to think that such a long-standing doctrine of law cannot simply be legislated away. (I pointed this out in this thread before the last sitting and that exact question came up. I would expect something similar again as it is the most "controversial" change to the fundaments of company law.)

So, whatever the new section is, know the equivalent previous provision and the case law around that. There is plenty to be discussed, even where there is only a minor change to the wording. Things like the fact that what was previously called a "fraudulent preference" under s. 286 is now referred to as an "unfair preference" under s. 604. What is the intended significance of this? Will there be any real change to the test to be applied etc?

great reply, thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Can anyone help me?! Looking over my old Company notes and found the (very rough) notes for a case but without the case name. They come under the Business Efficacy Test in Contractual Terms. Can anyone identify it?
    o Shareholders wanted to keep shares amongst themselves
    o Inserted pre-emption right in agreement
    o Shareholder offered but then went straight to market
     s/hs argued implied right of being given time to accept

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'll have a look at my corporate finance book. The facts ring a bell but case names are not my strength. I left Courtney in the office but it should be covered in my CF book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tednugent13

Is it natural intelligence or raw hard work that passes these exams?

Is it natural intelligence or raw hard work that passes these exams?

a certain level of madness and a bucket of coffee

Sorry I'm only getting back on now. My corporate finance book doesn't seem to feature a huge amount of cases, so I'll have to check Courtney when I can but there is a statutory right to first refusal for members that must remain open for 21 days under the 1983 Act. I'd imagine that provision or a very similar one still exists under the 2014 Act but it's not very phone friendly!

Moderator: Please note that trading of any kind is not allowed in this forum and that includes exam grids.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LW91

Hi guys, first post here, hope ye're all getting the heads down!

I just finished a law undergrad at one of the smaller colleges and am sitting three exams in October. I'm still one my J1 in the States but will be home in a few days, doing a bit of study here too. I decided to sit Property, Equity and Contract because they have some stuff in common and some of it is still fresh in the head!

Any particular tips for those will be welcome as I wont have a lot of time to study when I'm back but I knew lot of this stuff for Undergrad so it cant be too hard! :)

p.s. does anyone know if the results are out before the big law firm trainee interviews take place? Would be nice to be able to say I've three in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100852851#post100852851 Please click here for the new thread for the law firm milkrounds for 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Anyone know what came up in the last property sitting?

Anyone know what came up in the last property sitting?

Ownership and Possession Q8
    Equity and Notice Q6(c)
    Registered Land/ Unregistered Land Q2
    Succession Q1, Q4
    Licences Q6(a)&(b)
    Landlord and Tenant Q7
    Easements and Profits Q5
    Adverse Possession Q3

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Anyone know what came up in Tort last time? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Anybody know what came up in Constitutional In Spring and Is Anybody Sitting Constitutional In October Sitting. What Are You Intending To Study/Leave Out?

Ownership and Possession Q8
    Equity and Notice Q6(c)
    Registered Land/ Unregistered Land Q2
    Succession Q1, Q4
    Licences Q6(a)&(b)
    Landlord and Tenant Q7
    Easements and Profits Q5
    Adverse Possession Q3

Thanks so much :) does adverse possession come up every/most years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Thanks so much does adverse possession come up every/most years?

It is on 90% of the papers

I'll be cutting out roughly 33% of each course and hoping my questions come up. I'll just take my chances and bullshyt a 5th question if needs be.

For property I'm thinking:
    Succession,
    Adverse,
    Easements,
    Co-Ownership
    Licences

Looking at equity, think I'll just leave out injunctions altogether. There's too much to cover for what will essentially be only one question. Same thing for Contract, I'm only going to skim the bare bones of offer & acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

LW91 wrote: »
    I'll be cutting out roughly 33% of each course and hoping my questions come up. I'll just take my chances and bullshyt a 5th question if needs be.

Succession,
    Adverse,
    Easements,
    Co-Ownership
    Licences

Looking at equity, think I'll just leave out injunctions altogether. There's too much to cover for what will essentially be only one question. Same thing for Contract, I'm only going to skim the bare bones of offer & acceptance.

There are a couple of things I would say about this. The first is regarding injunctions - the questions that do come up tend to be asked in the same sorts of ways repeatedly, so the reality of what is required is not as daunting as it may seem.

The second point I would make is in relation to offer and acceptance on the contract course. Of all the topics on the course, this is the one that in my opinion you should not skip. Apart from the fact that it may be a question on its own, the topics on contract papers overlap and bleed into each other. Offer and acceptance could form a smaller part of several questions on the paper. I'm not saying that you shouldn't strategically cut bits of the course out, everyone does. But offer and acceptance is one part of the contract law course that you would be insane to not study. It is guaranteed to be on the paper.

Succession,
    Adverse,
    Easements,
    Co-Ownership
    Licences

mate... bad idea, on all three. I'd do at least another two topics for property, and I echo Hunchback's sentiments above too.

Thanks for the tips ladies and gents!

I know I'm cutting it pretty fine but I don't have a lot of study time so need to take some risks. Also, I did a lot of this stuff in the last two years so if I knew it then, I just have to relearn it. Sure there cant be that much of a difference between FE1 and undergrad exams. Stuff like Estoppel and Undue Influence will get me over the line I think, though it may not be easy.

I'll be chugging coffee like it's going out of fashion, might have to lay off the Pokemon Go, but sure it will be grand. We'll all make it eventually!

Succession,
    Adverse,
    Easements,
    Co-Ownership
    Licences

add registered/unregistered land and family property, should cover it, re equity, Look through the past injunctions questions and you will see the chapter isnt as daunting as it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

Does anybody know when the exam papers are set? Conscious that the whole Apple tax dispute might be of relevance in terms of state aid for EU. That is if the paper isn't already set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 irishasj

Hi all,

Hope the study is going well. Can anyone please tell me what came up in Tort in Spring 2015?

Covering the below topics, do you think this will suffice or any tips?

Standard / Duty of Care
    Causation /Remoteness
    Trespass to the Person
    Defamation
    Liability for Animals
    Nuisance
    Products Liability
    Vicarious Liability
    Nervous Shock
    Occupier’s Liability

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement