Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Can someone explain to me the exam grid thing? We banned it for being trading but I have felt guilty ever since because I don't fully understand what they are and whether it is reasonable to have the ban cover swapping or giving away these things. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Can someone explain to me the exam grid thing? We banned it for being trading but I have felt guilty ever since because I don't fully understand what they are and whether it is reasonable to have the ban cover swapping or giving away these things. :)

I personally think it is silly banning these. They are merely grids showing what exam questions appear each year. Some obtain them from their courses but they are not something I would take pride nor pleasure in charging someone for so if someone asks me, I send them in an email/pm etc.

It gives people minds rest and it doesn't leave me at a disadvantage passing them on nor does it mean I am going out of my way to help someone. But for the recipient it's value is indeterminable in these last few weeks.

We are all here to help eachother and its not as if the content of these are highly confidential nor do they allow others gain an advantage in their actual study knowledge, merely the content in the exams..

Essentially every subject has an exam grid which covers about 14/15 exam sittings on average and details the particular chapters/topics that came up in exam sittings. Doesnt give the actual questions, just the topics.

I vote we are allowed swap them. (I dont need any by the way)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thank you. I am leaning towards allowing them to be requested/exchanged. My understanding is that these have no intrinsic economic value and are merely a compilation of an individual's best interpretation of what was being asked in previous exam questions. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Are they handed out as part of prep course materials or just compiled by students for their own use and then given freely to others?

Thank you. I am leaning towards allowing them to be requested/exchanged. My understanding is that these have no intrinsic economic value and are merely a compilation of an individual's best interpretation of what was being asked in previous exam questions. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Are they handed out as part of prep course materials or just compiled by students for their own use and then given freely to others?

They are part of prep course content, I will admit.But are generally just excel/word documents which are of no economic value in themselves and natuarally just vague to an extent in that they just give a general laydown of the topics. Some, like criminal aren't even that helpful given the overlap in topics.. The exam papers with questions and reports are of value and that is generally where I draw the line in handing out items for free.

It is at your own discretion but I think you would want to be a hard soul to charge for an exam grid!

That must be why I am feeling guilty. You poor souls having to go through past papers on your own initiative to discern the topics that have come up. :p

Ok, I'll put up a post later setting out that exchange of grids is fine.

• Advertisement

MODS, this next question is #NOT an issue related to swapping material before you perceive it thatway and delete it. The particular item (the Comp Act 2014) has just arrived on the curriculum and noone would have it anyway from past exams so noone is buying and selling it from eachother, just buying it from the general retailers or otherwise. There would be no second hand ones on the market

Can I just make that clear before my post is hastily removed!

My query is where can I buy the Act, how much is it and whats the availability like and how long does it take to be ready for collection.

Again, I reiterate, as I seen the mod here didnt even know what these exam grids were! (joke!!) and i'd be worried he/she would interpret this as a buy and sell post and delete it immediately that this is a general query re obtaining it on the retail market

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I got the Act for €95 in Hodges and Figgis. Student Edition with a green cover.

I got the Act for €95 in Hodges and Figgis. Student Edition with a green cover.

ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

That is a very high price for an Act.

I presume there is competitive tendering, but still.......................

nuac wrote: »
    That is a very high price for an Act.

I presume there is competitive tendering, but still.......................

it is a relatively new act and is 1200 pages long. Was always going to be in or about that. I have it on PDF but you have to bring in an original one into the exam so its not tampered with

And we aren't allowed to talk about competitive tendering around here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 effinnblindin

Random Company Law question that is bugging me. If a transferee has paid for shares but the directors refuse to register him/her the transferor remains the legal owner and but holds the shares on trust for the transferee. The manual I have says that this means that the transferor must pay the unregistered transferee the dividends and also vote according to the unregistered transferee's wishes. Does this mean that being refused registration by the directors is irrelevant as the transferor is now a puppet for the unregistered share holder? Or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bivo87

i wonder does anyone know what came up in the last two EU papers? My notes that i am using are from the Autumn sitting in 2015. i am conscious also that as they are a year old, i could be missing vital information or recent judgments? is there any that I should be aware of that would not be in these notes?

Also wondering does anyone have any thoughts on the recent Apple decision and this coming paper? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 clare2015

Are we allowed post a request for exam grids now?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

Has everybody decided on the topics they are doing? Only able to choose 5 topics per subject do to work. Curious as to what topics people have chosen for Equity, EU, Contract and Criminal? I have grids but they don't seem very helpful in some subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

scooby321 wrote: »
    Has everybody decided on the topics they are doing? Only able to choose 5 topics per subject do to work. Curious as to what topics people have chosen for Equity, EU, Contract and Criminal? I have grids but they don't seem very helpful in some subjects.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 5 topics won't be enough. Criminal in particular has a lot of mixing of topics into the one question so you'll find yourself unable to answer 5 full questions (if you're lucky). I think the same applies for contract. You might be ok with EU from what I can remember.

thanks Redo. I am aware of that but there is nothing else I can do. EU seems to be tough to choose 5 topics from, I am thinking the following topics for EU:

Preliminary Reference
    Supremacy
    Competition Articles 01 & 102
    Services & Establishment
    Citizenship

What do people think?

thanks Redo. I am aware of that but there is nothing else I can do. EU seems to be tough to choose 5 topics from, I am thinking the following topics for EU:

Preliminary Reference
    Supremacy
    Competition Articles 01 & 102
    Services & Establishment
    Citizenship

What do people think?

Your backing yourself into a corner. You may get lucky but for EU you would want to have at least 6 topics. If you can manage 5 topics, you can manage 6.

Which 6 do you recommend?

Which 6 do you recommend?

I have done EU a while ago now. Perhaps someone on the thread may recommend? Do you not have an exam grid to see the frequency of topics etc?

I do have the exam grid but it's difficult to know what will come up as there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

irishasj wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope the study is going well. Can anyone please tell me what came up in Tort in Spring 2015?

Covering the below topics, do you think this will suffice or any tips?

Standard / Duty of Care
    Causation /Remoteness
    Trespass to the Person
    Defamation
    Liability for Animals
    Nuisance
    Products Liability
    Vicarious Liability
    Nervous Shock
    Occupier’s Liability

I am pretty sure Occupier's Liability, Vicarious Liability and Trespass to the Person can up last year, might want to add other topics like Professional Negligence (Medical), Employer's Liability and Limitation of Actions.

irishasj wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope the study is going well. Can anyone please tell me what came up in Tort in Spring 2015?

Covering the below topics, do you think this will suffice or any tips?

Standard / Duty of Care
    Causation /Remoteness
    Trespass to the Person
    Defamation
    Liability for Animals
    Nuisance
    Products Liability
    Vicarious Liability
    Nervous Shock
    Occupier’s Liability

I am pretty sure Occupier's Liability, Vicarious Liability and Trespass to the Person came up last year, might want to add other topics like Professional Negligence (Medical), Employer's Liability and Limitation of Actions to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Flamingo125

I'm working and studying and totally exhausted all the time and find my study time is so unproductive in that I'm sitting there for hours and getting through so little - signed up for property, equity, criminal, and company!

4 weeks to go and have practically all of each course to do - any advice on best way to approach?

I'm working and studying and totally exhausted all the time and find my study time is so unproductive in that I'm sitting there for hours and getting through so little - signed up for property, equity, criminal, and company!

4 weeks to go and have practically all of each course to do - any advice on best way to approach?

are you signed up to a course?
    Pick one topic from each subject today
    Succession
    Injunctions
    Offences againt person
    Directors

Sit down, study them and only them for the next two days. It will wet your appetite and build your confidence and take the pressure off yourself. Then pick 4 more for the next few days and take 15 minutes each to revise/refresh the former 4 every now and then, and so non and so forth.

Eventually you will get in a rythm and you will, dare I say it, look forward to opening a book, knowing it will be somewhat productive and it will make you feel better.
    Studying is easier than worrying about studying.

I am pretty sure Occupier's Liability, Vicarious Liability and Trespass to the Person can up last year, might want to add other topics like Professional Negligence (Medical), Employer's Liability and Limitation of Actions.

I basically have the same topics covered plus Professional Negligence and Rylands. 12 topics in all. Should I be OK if we're you just saying to Redhighking that they should maybe add another topic or two just to be safe?

Redo91 wrote: »
    I basically have the same topics covered plus Professional Negligence and Rylands. 12 topics in all. Should I be OK if we're you just saying to Redhighking that they should maybe add another topic or two just to be safe?

Is Ryland v Fletcher being floated as likely to make an appearance?

Is Ryland v Fletcher being floated as likely to make an appearance?

Not a clue to be honest. I just covered it because it's sort of linked with liability for animals under the scienter rule and it's a short topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Koakes

Hi there folks , after debating for a long time to do the FE1s, I decided to take the plunge and am sitting Company,Property, Equity and Contract in October. After swearing never to do another law exam again, the legal route seems to be calling ðŸ˜

One area that I'm concerned about is Company. I studied in 2010/11, before the 2014 Act. I'm working off 2014 Manuals and am concerned that I might be missing something. I've looked at Practitioner outlines of the main changes and am trying to weave them into my notes.
    What areas are people covering? So far I've covered
    Separate Legal Personality ,
    Shareholder Protection & Transmission Shares
    Borrowing
    Directors Duties during insolvency

Any tips/suggestions/arrow pointing would be greatly appreciated!!

Redo91 wrote: »
    Not a clue to be honest. I just covered it because it's sort of linked with liability for animals under the scienter rule and it's a short topic.

Thats a good idea, I will prob add a bit to my liability for animals notes to include a small bit extra on Rylands and Res Ipsa Loquitur principle in case they make a separate appearance on the paper.

• Advertisement

Thats a good idea, I will prob add a bit to my liability for animals notes to include a small bit extra on Rylands and Res Ipsa Loquitur principle in case they make a separate appearance on the paper.

Ya it's probably no harm considering it's such a short topic. I think we've both enough covered at that. We would be fairly unlucky to get caught out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement