Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 legallywrecked

Hi all,

Just wondering how much studying people are doing on average for the october sitting? am worried not enough studying is being done and wondering if I should hold off until the March sitting! have been catching up on the lectures of a prep course for 4 subjects over the last number of weeks but actual cramming hasn't started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

How far in are you in the lectures?

I have about 4 x 14hr days left to do before i'm fully caught up on them all :/

I am the same - have only done week 1 of two subjects. I still think there is time though and its worth a chance. And if it goes horribly wrong, at least we know what we are getting into the next time around. Have you chosen your topics for each subject?

Thanks for the positivity I needed that today :)

No I haven't thought of which topics to cover yet, from the lectures I've done some are sticking more than others so once I get all the lectures watched I'll have a look at the exam grid and make those big decisions! Have you decided yours?

I'm doing Company, Criminal, Contract and EU this time round. EU has always been my downfall so if I can even get myself somewhat sorted for the other 3 and go into EU with a few candles lit I'll be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

How much do people tend to write per question roughly? I'm conscious that we only have a little over a half hour per question and I'm wondering the kind of depth you get into when answering.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

scooby321 wrote: »
    Has everybody decided on the topics they are doing? Only able to choose 5 topics per subject do to work. Curious as to what topics people have chosen for Equity, EU, Contract and Criminal? I have grids but they don't seem very helpful in some subjects.

Hi there,

New to this and just reading back - I don't know if it's allowed or not - but by any chance could I get the exam grids for Equity and Contract off you??

Hope study's going well..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Flamingo125

Thanks a mill for your help, I will try that, sounds like a good plan :)

They are so daunting, no I have not signed up to any course, just working off the Independent College Manuals.

Would you say to work on all 4 subjects is the best approach aiming to pass them all, or to focus my study on 3 and then just see how much time I have left for the fourth?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

Thanks a mill for your help, I will try that, sounds like a good plan :)

They are so daunting, no I have not signed up to any course, just working off the Independent College Manuals.

Would you say to work on all 4 subjects is the best approach aiming to pass them all, or to focus my study on 3 and then just see how much time I have left for the fourth?

If l was you l would focus on the 4 with the aim to passing 3 if you get the 4th it is a bonus. Don't neglict the 4th on the off chance something goes wrong in one of the other exams you have the 4th as a back up. That is just my opinion.

starbar91 wrote: »
    Hi there,

New to this and just reading back - I don't know if it's allowed or not - but by any chance could I get the exam grids for Equity and Contract off you??

Hope study's going well..

Thanks

It appears to be allowed after the moderators last post? I only have them written out so can send you pictures as I don't have a scanner to convert to PDF

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sorry for the delay in coming back in relation to this. I have updated the thread title temporarily and added the following to the first post:

Moderator: The above warnings mean it is not ok to buy, sell or swap (trade) any exam materials in this thread. Exam grids are the only exception. You may request and exchange exam grids but at no point will money be allowed to change hands for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

Does anyone have an exam grid for Tort from somewhere other than Griffith? I've noticed a few errors on the Griffith grid and it's sent me into a panic that I've been planning my topics all wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

With regards to Constitutional, does anyone have any suggestions of how to break down the topics? Is there anything at all that I can leave out because the size of it and the range of questions is just starting to seem too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

If you're stuck for time try watching the lecture videos at 1.5 or double speed, they usually talk very slow anyways. Better to put the head down for a few weeks and see what you can do than putting them off until March, a bit of pressure can help with the study.

Thanks for the positivity I needed that today :)

No I haven't thought of which topics to cover yet, from the lectures I've done some are sticking more than others so once I get all the lectures watched I'll have a look at the exam grid and make those big decisions! Have you decided yours?

I'm doing Company, Criminal, Contract and EU this time round. EU has always been my downfall so if I can even get myself somewhat sorted for the other 3 and go into EU with a few candles lit I'll be happy!

No topics decided yet either, just trying to watch some lectures and go from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

Anyone know if you can exclude implied terms of a contract (s.13-15 of 1893 act) in a commercial contract? Specifically looking at q.3 on the August 2015 paper. I have in notes that you can't do it for consumer unless fair and reasonable but does this also apply to commercial contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

scooby321 wrote: »
    It appears to be allowed after the moderators last post? I only have them written out so can send you pictures as I don't have a scanner to convert to PDF

I wonder could I have them too? I'd really appreciate it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Hey all

I've decided i want to pursue law as a career and im now recently unemployed.

So im going to be studying FE1 on a full time basis and aim to sit them at next spring set of exams.

Im a little unsure as to where i should start. I completed a degree in business and law about 2 years ago. I didnt do brilliant in all law subjects but I wasnt aiming to as it was a part tiime degree and I was working full time.

Now that i can study law full time, I feel ill be better able to prepare for exams.

Im wondering where i should start? I see most FE-1 prep courses started back in June and are still ongoing.

I plan to do a FE1 prep course but in the meantime would anyone advise on what i could do to self teach myself at the moment?

I feel EU law will be among the most challenging of them all. Would it be worthwhile to get some nutshells books or otherwise to get a basic knowledge of EU law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Anyone think Landlord and Tenant Law is worth starting on at this stage? I would like to think I have enough topics covered in Succession, Adverse Possession, Easements and Profits, Registered/non Registered land, co-ownership and probably licences. Will do a brief overview of Ownership, Possession and Treasure Trove also.

L & T seems like a lot of material (35 pages in Griffith Manual) so the risk of taking it up now to the detriment of other topic study time seems high, relatively speaking.

Anyone think its a topic that is one of the easier? Or is it just more hassle than its worth at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hey all

So im going to be studying FE1 on a full time basis and aim to sit them at next spring set of exams.

Im a little unsure as to where i should start. I completed a degree in business and law about 2 years ago. I didnt do brilliant in all law subjects but I wasnt aiming to as it was a part tiime degree and I was working full time.

Now that i can study law full time, I feel ill be better able to prepare for exams.

Im wondering where i should start? I see most FE-1 prep courses started back in June and are still ongoing.

I plan to do a FE1 prep course but in the meantime would anyone advise on what i could do to self teach myself at the moment?

I feel EU law will be among the most challenging of them all. Would it be worthwhile to get some nutshells books or otherwise to get a basic knowledge of EU law?

Talk to some practising lawyers, both solicitors and barristers

Sit in at some couirts

Read some decided cases - can get thousands on the Court Services pages here.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 living the reality

Hey all

I'd pick up some second hand manuals and start going through the material needed for the exams. At least you'll a head start by the time the prep courses start!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 living the reality

Hey all

I'd pick up some second hand manuals and start going through the material needed for the exams. At least you'll have a head start by the time the prep courses start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Is there anything that can be left out of contract and still be safe? I know she loves mixing topics tho ... Any tips would be great.
    I've tort , contact , criminal , property grids updated if anyone is stuck.

The only legislative sources candidates may bring with them into the examinations are listed below.
    Candidates may only bring into the examinations the original, unmarked (except for highlighting and
    underlining) publications. Photocopies or copies printed from the internet are not acceptable.

This is prob a daft question but where can I order it from so?

I found this on an old thread, thanks :)

The Call Centre is open Monday to Friday 09.30 to 13.00 and 14.00 to 17.00 to assist callers and accept order payments by card, cheque or postal order. There is also a dedicated email address, with all queries responded to on the next working day. Tel: 01 647 6834

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hiyakeano

Does anyone have an up to date Equity exam grid they could pass on to me? I'm really starting to panic over the sheer volume of work and need to start strategically cutting down!
    I have criminal, contract and property grids for anyone in need! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

hiyakeano wrote: »
    Does anyone have an up to date Equity exam grid they could pass on to me? I'm really starting to panic over the sheer volume of work and need to start strategically cutting down!
    I have criminal, contract and property grids for anyone in need! :)

Send me your email by mail and I'll send you one

I wonder could I have them too? I'd really appreciate it :o

mail me your email address and ill send them to you

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

Does anybody have an up to date Constitutional Exam Grid?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

I do. mail me your email address and I'll send it to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement