Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yohnathan wrote: »
    SORRY FOR THE REPOST

Can someone please advise me as to what the relevant sections are for the topic on Consumer Protection for Contract.

I have stuff in my notes on the "Consumer Rights Directive" 2011/83/EC but my notes are a bit old, I initially planned on doing this exam a year ago. I know there was new law introduced early this year so I am a bit confused.

Anyone who went to a grind course that could shed some light on this topic and what areas within it to focus on, that would be great. I'm wasting serious time on this tonight

not sure, the minute I walked out of that Contract exam my brain rid myself of all those nitty bitty bits of Contract law, you might find something on the free city college night before notes on the internet

Here is a sample piece from one of those:

Consumer Protection

Sale of Goods Act 1893, Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 – various details and nature
    of clauses – esp. on exclusion of same as well, to be known and capable of explanation, both briefly
    and in more detail (dependent on question)

o Section 12 – Title and implied warranties
    o Section 13 – Sale by Description – Moore & Co. –v- Landauer , Fogarty –v- Dickson /
    Description –v- Quality – Oscar Chess –v- Williams
    o Section 14 – Quality of Goods – Merchantable Quality / Fitness for Purpose – Bernstein –vPamson
    Motors , Rogers –v- Parish , Wallis –v- Russell
    o Protection against exclusion clauses unfairly prejudicing consumer
    Other legislation
    o European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations 1995 – key factor
    and analysis on test of unfairness – reg. 3(2)
    o Contracts negotiated away from Business Premises – 1989 Regulations
    o Distance Selling – EC (Protection of Consumers in Respect of Contracts made by Means of
    Distance Communication) Regulations 2001Sale of Goods Act 1893, Sale of Goods and Supply

google a few of the "city college night before notes" (they hand them out every year for free) and check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

not sure, the minute I walked out of that Contract exam my brain rid myself of all those nitty bitty bits of Contract law, you might find something on the free city college night before notes on the internet

Here is a sample piece from one of those:

Consumer Protection

Sale of Goods Act 1893, Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 – various details and nature
    of clauses – esp. on exclusion of same as well, to be known and capable of explanation, both briefly
    and in more detail (dependent on question)

o Section 12 – Title and implied warranties
    o Section 13 – Sale by Description – Moore & Co. –v- Landauer , Fogarty –v- Dickson /
    Description –v- Quality – Oscar Chess –v- Williams
    o Section 14 – Quality of Goods – Merchantable Quality / Fitness for Purpose – Bernstein –vPamson
    Motors , Rogers –v- Parish , Wallis –v- Russell
    o Protection against exclusion clauses unfairly prejudicing consumer
    Other legislation
    o European Communities (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) Regulations 1995 – key factor
    and analysis on test of unfairness – reg. 3(2)
    o Contracts negotiated away from Business Premises – 1989 Regulations
    o Distance Selling – EC (Protection of Consumers in Respect of Contracts made by Means of
    Distance Communication) Regulations 2001Sale of Goods Act 1893, Sale of Goods and Supply

google a few of the "city college night before notes" (they hand them out every year for free) and check them out

Cheers Talking Bread :) I am working off the Night Before Notes also but I am just trying to figure out where I got the 2011 Directive from. It could be that my head is just completely fried but if anyone is going to the courses if they could help me I would be very grateful :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lovelylaw

Hi guys,

Re constitutional - what topics/answers were for March 2016 Q 3 and Q5?

it seems like lots of topics have to be covered to get 5 Questions on the paper.

The case note question seems more difficult than the Eu case note, as the very little reoccurrence of cases, very difficult to predict, or what are people's opinions on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Nope, totally cancelled.

I've been trying to contact Griffith about their course with no luck!

Email Jill in griffith and she will sort u out.
    If u turn up with money in ur hand they will take u just arrive few mins early
    <<Mod deletion >> criminal and tort were ok.

keep the faith!!

Nope, totally cancelled.

I've been trying to contact Griffith about their course with no luck!

Email Jill in Griffith and she will sort u out. company is the 25th, from 10-4 in room AF104
    If u turn up with money in ur hand they will take u just arrive few mins early
    <<Mod - possibly defamatory comments deleted. >>
    criminal and tort were quite good.

keep the faith!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

Any tips for criminal please and thanks?

Currently having my daily FE1 breakdown!

Fe1r wrote: »
    Any tips for criminal please and thanks?

Currently having my daily FE1 breakdown!

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as tips for criminal, in my opinion, so much crossover with topics that you would want to be John Nash to figure out some sort of sequence in how the examiner approaches the exam. I would be far too paranoid to leave a lot of it out. If you are having a bad day with it, get away from the actual study and just put your list together of the statute sections/legislation for the offences and make some sort of anagrams to learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Pls do not use this forum for comments on or criticisms of other organisations or people. We have to avoid any risk of defamation actions
    Otherwise good luck in your exams. Happiest days etc etc.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as tips for criminal, in my opinion, so much crossover with topics that you would want to be John Nash to figure out some sort of sequence in how the examiner approaches the exam. I would be far too paranoid to leave a lot of it out. If you are having a bad day with it, get away from the actual study and just put your list together of the statute sections/legislation for the offences and make some sort of anagrams to learn them.

Concur ... Luckily it's not a big course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Can anyone tell me am I right in thinking this question from the property exam (March 2015) is about treasure trove? Is there anything else that would need to be mentioned for full marks?

"John, an avid marathon runner, decided to take a different route for his training run through the fields of his neighbour one morning. On approaching mile 10, he discovered a type of underground tunnel which was accessible from the main road as well as the land of his neighbour, Tommy. He stumbled over a sign which read "Keep out- No trespassing" but since he was 'in the running zone', he ignored the sign and ran further into the tunnel. While stopped for a drink of water, he noticed something gold, half buried in the ground. He dusted it off and saw that it was an old antique watch on the back of which was engraved "to my dearest A, with all my love forever". John, thinking this would make a lovely gift for his girlfriend who was an antique collector, dropped the watch into his pocket. Just then, Andrew, who sold Tommy the land ten years ago, appeared in the tunnel with Tommy and claimed that he should have the watch as it belonged to him.

Advise the parties as to who is entitled to the watch."

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me am I right in thinking this question from the property exam (March 2015) is about treasure trove? Is there anything else that would need to be mentioned for full marks?

"John, an avid marathon runner, decided to take a different route for his training run through the fields of his neighbour one morning. On approaching mile 10, he discovered a type of underground tunnel which was accessible from the main road as well as the land of his neighbour, Tommy. He stumbled over a sign which read "Keep out- No trespassing" but since he was 'in the running zone', he ignored the sign and ran further into the tunnel. While stopped for a drink of water, he noticed something gold, half buried in the ground. He dusted it off and saw that it was an old antique watch on the back of which was engraved "to my dearest A, with all my love forever". John, thinking this would make a lovely gift for his girlfriend who was an antique collector, dropped the watch into his pocket. Just then, Andrew, who sold Tommy the land ten years ago, appeared in the tunnel with Tommy and claimed that he should have the watch as it belonged to him.

Advise the parties as to who is entitled to the watch."

Yeah the bogstandard property ownership, treasure trove question,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Thank you :) Read it last night when I should really have just gone to sleep :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RedBlanket

Hey Guys :)

I'm starting to stress about Property and equity a bit...anyone have exam grids for these? I have a Criminal one I can swap!

For Property Im studying:

Easements
    Sucession
    Adverse Posession
    Family Property
    Registered/Un Registered Land
    Co-Ownership

Do you guys think this will suffice?

RedBlanket wrote: »
    Hey Guys :)

I'm starting to stress about Property and equity a bit...anyone have exam grids for these? I have a Criminal one I can swap!

For Property Im studying:

Easements
    Sucession
    Adverse Posession
    Family Property
    Registered/Un Registered Land
    Co-Ownership

Do you guys think this will suffice?

Throw together a few bullet points and case law on treasure trove and maybe even licenses and you should be covered. An hour or two on treasure trove and a few fifteen minute refreshers over the final few weeks and you'll be grand. Popular but hard to fail question.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

does anybody agree that practicising exam questions is not that helpful as this leads to the problem in the examiners reports about learning off answers and you end up studying a topic to suit that Specific question and often the question will be mixed with another topic the next time it appears so surely the best thing to do is learn the topic understand it and learn off cases so you're ready for any type of question that appears?? I understand that it helps for structure of your answers but past that I don't see a huge benefit

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The danger with practising exam questions is that you risk not spotting the differences where a similar but not identical question comes up. You tend to then answer the question you had practised and not the one on the exam in front of you.

I have never really understood that there is any benefit to "practising" for an exam where you don't know exactly what the questions will be. It seems like a waste of time to me. You would be far better off broadening your understanding of the topic you are covering by doing more reading rather than answering a more narrowly focused exam question.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

The danger with practising exam questions is that you risk not spotting the differences where a similar but not identical question comes up. You tend to then answer the question you had practised and not the one on the exam in front of you.

I have never really understood that there is any benefit to "practising" for an exam where you don't know exactly what the questions will be. It seems like a waste of time to me. You would be far better off broadening your understanding of the topic you are covering by doing more reading rather than answering a more narrowly focused exam question.

I disagree, practising questions (problem ones mainly) can help you to learn how to spot different issues that come up in them. Especially for examiners that tend to mix topics, it is important to be able to pick out all the different issues. You won't get any marks if you know the topic but fail to identify that it is being raised in a question. Many people who take these exams fail to spot some of the issues or answer on the wrong topic.

These exams are different to undergrad, you can't predict what is going to come up so it's really important to be able to deal competently with problem questions. Reading over some questions and identifying relevant issues will help with your confidence in the exam and can give you familiarity with the type of questions asked by the examiner. You don't have to write out full answers but it can help to just spend ten minutes doing a quick bullet point answer. Don't expect these questions to come up in the exam but use it to revise what you've already studied.

For the companies act is it a big green book with about 1200 pages? I though it was a large A4 book for some reason?

20029422 wrote: »
    does anybody agree that practicising exam questions is not that helpful as this leads to the problem in the examiners reports about learning off answers and you end up studying a topic to suit that Specific question and often the question will be mixed with another topic the next time it appears so surely the best thing to do is learn the topic understand it and learn off cases so you're ready for any type of question that appears?? I understand that it helps for structure of your answers but past that I don't see a huge benefit

I think it can be beneficial if you use it as a tool to revise after you have studied a topic. You can quiz yourself by trying to briefly answer a few questions on a topic. I don't mean writing out full answers but putting down a few bullet points. I don't think it can do any harm and its good to have a few different methods while studying instead of just trying to learn off notes. Actively quizing yourself is a good way to revise and being familiar with they types of questions that come is helpful too as every examiner approaches the paper in different ways.

For criminal, I found it helpful to practise a problem question just by trying to write down as many offences as I could. When you learn the topics by themselves it can be hard to identify all the issues that come in the question. You can usually throw in a few attempt charges but you might not think of it if the problem is one that's mostly offences against property as you will be trying to think of all those offences and the topics aren't linked in your mind as you learned them separately. It doesn't take long so I wouldn't see it as a waste of time and it's something different to do when you get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

yeah I agree also spending a bit of time reading past questions and see can you identify the issues and then check the report to see are you right but writing out answers to certain questions which might only deal with a certain issue in a topic seems a waste of time where a broad understanding of a chapter in a manual and write out notes which gives you a full understanding seems a better use of study time.the examiner reports seem to point out that people are learning off stuff they don't understand.thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 legallywrecked

For the companies act is it a big green book with about 1200 pages? I though it was a large A4 book for some reason?

That's the one! Big expensive-ish green book to be used for a couple of weeks :) hopefully access to it gets us our pass tho!

20029422 wrote: »
    yeah I agree also spending a bit of time reading past questions and see can you identify the issues and then check the report to see are you right but writing out answers to certain questions which might only deal with a certain issue in a topic seems a waste of time where a broad understanding of a chapter in a manual and write out notes which gives you a full understanding seems a better use of study time.the examiner reports seem to point out that people are learning off stuff they don't understand.thanks for the advice

Yeah the examiners have a huge problem with people learning off questions, I think they are mostly referring to people learning off some of the sample answers which you get with the prep courses. They see the same thing regurgitated so many times and it is understandable why they are so annoyed. Learning off sample answers is definitely a waste of time and is very different to practicing some questions by yourself.

That's the one! Big expensive-ish green book to be used for a couple of weeks :) hopefully access to it gets us our pass tho!

I know the feeling. Law books, eh! Bloomsbury edition, yeah? I just assumed it was going to be an official taller type manual not in book form

i think learning the topic as a whole is important but knowing how to pick out issues in questions is important too, i find i know stuff but i dont know what is being asked at times... so a mix of both. i have the impression some people are learning off answers, for essay quesons this can be productive perhaps.... who is to say any one way is right.... an understanding of topics is important and after that its about being able to approach questions, we all have to find ur own way of doig that . Not everyone has the confidence just to learn the topic and leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 8 count of monte cristo

Looking for a steer on question 2 constitutional paper autumn 2015..

Unjust attack on property rights and A26 am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

Would it be a huge mistake to leave out consumer protection in contact if I'm covering literally everything else?

Would it be a huge mistake to leave out consumer protection in contact if I'm covering literally everything else?

You read my mind - I hate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tednugent13

It's one of the biggest certainties on this years paper, shur can't ye spoof a bit from the SGSSA 1980 and throw in a few european acts and you'll be fine!

Whats the consensus on this for Constitutional case notes? Could be a hell of a lot of work with the guarantee of zilch.

It's one of the biggest certainties on this years paper, shur can't ye spoof a bit from the SGSSA 1980 and throw in a few european acts and you'll be fine!

Whats the consensus on this for Constitutional case notes? Could be a hell of a lot of work with the guarantee of zilch.

Why is it such a certainty ? It comes up a lot but i still hate the chapter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 legallywrecked

I know the feeling. Law books, eh! Bloomsbury edition, yeah? I just assumed it was going to be an official taller type manual not in book form

I was expecting the same but that's the only one people seem to be getting, Bloomsbury is the one! Happy days for them, lots of customers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement