Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

Leraf wrote: »
    I am :( I am doing four as well and feel like the note writing will never end. That said, I do find I am understanding and remember everything better. I will admit I spend a lot of the time convincing myself how far behind I am and thinking everyone else is well finished the note taking stage.

Don't worry if you're still writing notes. Last sitting was my first sitting & at this stage I was still doing notes too. It's all going into your heads. I honestly felt like I didn't even know the stuff until I was in sitting the exams and it all came to me. The worst thing you can do is stress yourself out. Even until the day I got my results and passed the exams I still thought I failed.

These exams are possible to pass and you can do it just a little bit of self belief goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

For Company I'm doing the following;
    1. Separate Legal Personality
    2. Directors
    3. Restrictions
    4. Company Borrowing
    5. Transfer of Shares
    6. Shareholder protection
    7. Realisation of Company Assets
    7. Company Act 2014
    9. Corporate Authority
    10. Liquidator
    11. Ultra Vires
    12. Receivership

Do ye think this is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 letmcg

I have covered roughly 14 topics in detail for constitution and 3 or 4 in general just to know about them. From the institutions side I picked the Courts but wondering if I should do Oireachtas as well, any advice?
    Btw anybody has any notes on the Pringles case?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Thank you amomcnico! Ill just keep pressing on and hoping for the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Can anyone going to Independent, Griffith, etc please let me know if any of these have been given much discussion by the lecturers:

Crimimal:
    1. Criminal Justice (Spent Convictions and Certain Disclosures) Bill - Just been signed into law this year.
    2. Criminal Justice (Forensic Evidence and DNA Databases System) Act 2014.
    3. Criminal Justice (Sexual Offences) Bill 2015
    4. Corporate Manslaughter LRC Issue Paper 2016
    5. DPP v Kevin Lynch [2015]
    6. DPP v Hussain [2014]

Property:
    Any help on the changes made on the topic of Family Property from the Marriage Act 2015 would be great.

If anyone can help me with this and I have anything they need I will be glad to help.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

I sat this exam last sitting <<mod deletions>>.

I would definitely look over Mareva - <<mod deletions>> I'm basically doing all the above topics and making myself aware of the things I'm leaving out so I can maybe come up with an answer just incase.

What I also did was looked up all the topics she asked in the notes question in the past and made notes on each of them so it can be my back up.

Mod
    PM sent to poster explaining deletions

What's with all the deletions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Yeah, I didn't understand that either? AFAIR the post was just warning others about the unpredictability of the examiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

odwyer94 wrote: »
    What's with all the deletions

Mod

1. Short answer

This is a moderated forum for legal debate. Mod rules, OK?

2. Slightly longer answer:

One of the mods' duties is to edit or delete any post which would risk legal action against Boards.ie. Even a threat of such action would be badly received by the owners and their insurers. Therefore we have to be careful.

I agree there was little harm in the deleted remarks about examiners but they could have generated posts which would have crossed the line. I understand some of your lecturers have complained about previous posts upthread.

While there are a number of mods assigned to this forum ( all lawyers, modding voluntarily ), no mod or group of mods can be on here 24/7., checking each post as it comes in. Each of us look in as time and other commitments permit

Therefore am asking nicely for your cooperation in avoiding discussion here of your colleges, lecturers and examiners.

Best of luck to you all.

Eheu fugaces

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

For Company I'm doing the following;
    1. Separate Legal Personality
    2. Directors
    3. Restrictions
    4. Company Borrowing
    5. Transfer of Shares
    6. Shareholder protection
    7. Realisation of Company Assets
    7. Company Act 2014
    9. Corporate Authority
    10. Liquidator
    11. Ultra Vires
    12. Receivership

Do ye think this is enough?
    that's loads company questions arnt really mixed so that is plenty

Hey guys

I'm finding Legislative Control of Transactions between Companies and Directors confusing - can anyone explain this to me please?

Also if anyone has a sample answer from March 2013 Q3 I'd really appreciate it if I could take a look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

I have the Examiners Report on Q3, if that helps. Dont have a sample answer unfortunately

Thanks a million - I actually have the examiners report myself so I'll take a look at that. I have no idea why I didn't think of that myself.

Thanks a mill.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

What's the general opinion on essay structure? Personally I hate starting essays with "I will talk about..." but I've seen that in a few sample answers. And what about headings in questions? I feel like the recommended structures may be against my usual structure entirely!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

For criminal am I safe to leave out arrest and detention and focus on treatment in custody only? Any advice much appreciated!

Fe1r wrote: »
    For criminal am I safe to leave out arrest and detention and focus on treatment in custody only? Any advice much appreciated!

you would learn both in an hour. For the sake of two small but decent chance to be part of a question, i wouldnt omit. If you are studying Custody issues, do the whole thing, bail and all.

you would learn both in an hour. For the sake of two small but decent chance to be part of a question, i wouldnt omit. If you are studying Custody issues, do the whole thing, bail and all.

Just what I wanted to hear haha thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Wondering if someone could shed some light on issues in Q3 March 2016 constitutional paper? I've been struggling with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Arrest and Detention has come up on the last three papers. I don't know whether that means its due a break or becoming an examiner favorite but just said I would highlight its frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

Hey, just wondering is there anyone driving from south side Dublin to exams? (Say dundrum area)? I'll be driving and just wondering best way to go and how long it'll take to get there in mornings etc so I know what time id have to leave?

it's hard to know how many topics to study for contract as the questions are always so mixed.I find it the hardest to understand also. I've notes for offer acceptance,consideration estoppel, terms, misrep, exclusion clauses, consumer law, mistake, remedies,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

20029422 wrote: »
    it's hard to know how many topics to study for contract as the questions are always so mixed.I find it the hardest to understand also. I've notes for offer acceptance,consideration estoppel, terms, misrep, exclusion clauses, consumer law, mistake, remedies,

Agreed.

I failed it last time due to cutting corners and general bad luck. The topics I didn't study came up as second parts to questions where I knew the first parts inside out! Its also tricky in that the essay questions can focus in on the most precise thing such as "Discuss the law surrounding Pinnell's case". If you hadn't studied that particular section then that's automatically one question that you straight out can't answer and there's no way of even attempting a bullsh*t answer!

I would say throw in undue influence there too and you should be well covered

smeal wrote: »
    Agreed.

I failed it last time due to cutting corners and general bad luck. The topics I didn't study came up as second parts to questions where I knew the first parts inside out! Its also tricky in that the essay questions can focus in on the most precise thing such as "Discuss the law surrounding Pinnell's case". If you hadn't studied that particular section then that's automatically one question that you straight out can't answer and there's no way of even attempting a bullsh*t answer!

thanks yeah I will put in one or two more small topics like undue influence

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lovelylaw

Constitutional

SOP
    Trial
    Unenumerated - privacy, bodily integrity, fair procedures, access to courts, non marital family
    Right to life
    Property
    Livelihood
    Referenda
    Family and eduction
    Religion
    Expression
    Equality

Now just to learn it!!! Am I missing any very important topics?
    How much detail are people going into? Any opinions?

Sooooo, is anyone else still making notes and hasn't began learning things off yet??

Constitutional is far bigger than I thought, its like the size of company and criminal together!! :(

don't fret, still plenty of time. And making out notes, whilst seemingly stressfull, is often the time you learn the most and its fresh in your head. So make them and every now and then have a short glance and then alonger review and so on and so forth. But dont take notes for sake of it at this stage if too time consuming, some things are better learnt by reading and then spitting out in exam

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

Sooooo, is anyone else still making notes and hasn't began learning things off yet??

Constitutional is far bigger than I thought, its like the size of company and criminal together!! :(

The size is so much bigger but I think that it is reflected fairly in the marking. I would try to have a broad knowledge for this one so you can take a good stab at 5 questions.

I got a higher mark in this than criminal contract and tort in the last sitting and I was shocked as I know that my answers were not as good as the other exams. In saying that I did manage to write something relevant for each question but the overall exam was much sparser on the case law!

I think the approach to questions is important too, even if you can only remember a small bit of a topic try and twist it around to fit the question, common sense and having a good answering style can help you pass the exams!

smeal wrote: »
    Agreed.

Are you covering consumer protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

In constitutional law I'm running off a 2015 Independent College Manual. Is there anything drastic that I should be taking note of (any recent cases etc.). 2nd time sitting it and it is my final exam. I have the other 7. Need to pass it this time. Can't do another sitting :/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

Last minute panic...where can I get the Companies Act 2014? It's probably too late to order online!!!

lawgal wrote: »
    Last minute panic...where can I get the Companies Act 2014? It's probably too late to order online!!!

ring Hodges Figgs. 95 euro

Make sure you say "green" edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 tobeginbegin

Can anyone suggest how difficult it would be to do:

Company
    Property
    EU
    Tort
    Constitutional

in one sitting (and pass in one sitting!!)? Would mid December to March cut it with one/two revision courses? Any insights much appreciated. Trying to assess the risk if I decide to push company back to next sitting

Has anyone done 5 or more and can shed some light on the experience?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement