Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FE1010101

Constitutional:

Interpretation
    Amendment
    President (leaving out AG as came up on last paper)
    Institutions : Courts only
    Principles of JR
    Findings of Unconstitutionality
    SOP
    Art 38.1 Due course of law
    Limiting and Balancing Rights
    Personal Rights
    Natural and Constitutional Justice
    Equality
    Property Rights
    Freedom of Expression

That's what im covering, am i taking a big risk in leaving out education religion and the smaller topics like inviolability of a dwelling/abortion etc?

Any thoughts welcomed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheStandIn

starbar91 wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering is there anyone driving from south side Dublin to exams? (Say dundrum area)? I'll be driving and just wondering best way to go and how long it'll take to get there in mornings etc so I know what time id have to leave?
    I take the m50 from Sandyford and get off at Ballymount and take the turnpike road to Red Cow.
    Takes me 25 minutes or there abouts but I leave around 7.30/7.45 and and study in the car. It might take longer if you go later so I'd give yourself 30-40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

Hey guys,

So Company -

Separate Legal Personalty
    Ultra Vires,
    Directors,
    Prohibition of Loans, quasi loans to directors & connected persons - s238 & 239
    Corporate Authority,
    Restriction & Disqualification of Directors,
    Unfair Preferences & Fraudulent Dispositions,
    Borrowing - Floating & Fixed Charges, Retention of Title Clauses
    Shares,
    Shareholders,
    Shareholder Protection & Remedies,
    Realisation of Companies Assets

Should I cover anything else? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hey guys,

So Company -

Separate Legal Personalty
    Ultra Vires,
    Directors,
    Prohibition of Loans, quasi loans to directors & connected persons - s238 & 239
    Corporate Authority,
    Restriction & Disqualification of Directors,
    Unfair Preferences & Fraudulent Dispositions,
    Borrowing - Floating & Fixed Charges, Retention of Title Clauses
    Shares,
    Shareholders,
    Shareholder Protection & Remedies,
    Realisation of Companies Assets

Should I cover anything else? Thanks.

do a little essay on a few reforms of the new 2014 Act, 4 or 5 changes. google changes to act and youll be able to write a decent enough answer. would be 90% sure they will ask that. They asked in March as it was first sitting

Thanks so much!

Do you think I'll be safe with everything else I've covered - or should I include more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

lawgal wrote: »
    Last minute panic...where can I get the Companies Act 2014? It's probably too late to order online!!!

I ordered Monday online and got today

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

I rang the OPW & they don't have the Constitution in stock, neither do Easons.. Any idea where else to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 legallywrecked

This is probably a very silly question but i have reached the stage where everything is a panic! is the exam/candidate number 3 digits long? I'm confused by the wording of the letter (the one including the map and rules etc) and don't know if i'm waiting for another letter with my number or if the 3 digit one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

ChloeElla wrote: »
    I rang the OPW & they don't have the Constitution in stock, neither do Easons.. Any idea where else to get it?

I had the same problem in March! Have you tried O'Mahonys? Or are you near any university you could try their bookshop?

If you're badly stuck I could send you my copy?

This is probably a very silly question but i have reached the stage where everything is a panic! is the exam/candidate number 3 digits long? I'm confused by the wording of the letter (the one including the map and rules etc) and don't know if i'm waiting for another letter with my number or if the 3 digit one is it?

Yeah it's the three digit one. You won't get any other letters from them until results time!

• Advertisement

Maybe Reads (Nassau Street) or Hodges Figgis? Not sure if either would have it but might be worth ringing and checking just in case!

I got mine in one of the smaller Easons a couple of years ago so maybe fly in to a local bookshop and check, think it was liffey valley, had nothing on their system but they checked the stock room and found one - said they never have them out.

Thank you Fe1r! I've been focusing all my panic on that so now I'll focus on panicking about the other stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stall

ChloeElla wrote: »

Try the university book shops, I got mine in the UCD book shop and they had plenty in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Has anybody got an exam grid for contract. Or can advise what you are thinking of studying? Much appreciated

is it right to say that if English law and Irish law differs that we only use the Irish case law for problem questions and maybe both for essay questions. using English case law principles would be of no use for a problem question if it is not the same in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

20029422 wrote: »
    is it right to say that if English law and Irish law differs that we only use the Irish case law for problem questions and maybe both for essay questions. using English case law principles would be of no use for a problem question if it is not the same in Ireland??
    Personally, If i knew the information and had the time I would put it in regardless of whether it is a problem or essay question. It shows a broad range of knowledge to note different approaches in different jurisdictions so I'd show it off if I could. Something simple like 'In Ireland the courts have demonstrated in x case....' and apply it to your facts given then followed by 'Interestingly to note the English courts have taken a different approach in y case....'

depends what subject you are referring to..........

depends what subject you are referring to..........

it was equity I was thinking of

If you have time - and know the information I would definitely throw it in - but it is more important to refer to the law in this jurisdiction when you're answering problem questions.

it was equity I was thinking of

most of rules of equity derive from English common law but are adopted and often altered as they trickle down Irish law.

So you cant just say such and such case established the position/point of law because it is in Ireland. It depends what is the pre-eminent rule of law in Irish courts at the minute and you can use words like "adopted into Irish courts" etc f it predominantly emanated from England

Again it depends what particular topic of Equity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

Depends also on the topic, if it is a contentious issue then would be worth mentioning, like if there was a more recent English decision which could influence Irish courts.

Unless you were really stuck for material or you felt the case was very similar to the facts of the problem I would keep it to the relevant info for the person you are advising. You could maybe briefly highlight it but If it is a problem questions the examiner is not looking for a comparison between English and Irish law, they would have given an essay if they were.

Sometimes what to leave out is just as important as what you write down. The examiners frequently complain about students writing everything they know. ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ASKED!

That's my opinion anyway.

most of rules of equity derive from English common law but are adopted and often altered as they trickle down Irish law.

So you cant just say such and such case established the position/point of law because it is in Ireland. It depends what is the pre-eminent rule of law in Irish courts at the minute and you can use words like "adopted into Irish courts" etc f it predominantly emanated from England

Again it depends what particular topic of Equity?
    resulting trusts was the topic seems a very technical topic compared to most in equity with surplus of funds that have been voluntarily subscribed

• Registered Users Posts: 30 irishasj

Would I be okay studying these topics for tort?

Standard/Duty of care
    Remoteness/Causation
    Defamation
    Product Liability
    Nervous Shock
    Res Ipsa Loquiter
    Damages
    Limitation Periods
    Occupiers Liability
    Trespass to Person
    Vicarious Liability
    ??????

Anything I'm clearly leaving out? Ok to leave nuisance out as it was on the last 3? Should I study Liability for Animals?

Is anyone covering public order offences or offences against the state in criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Yes to public order No to offences against the state

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

University book shops would have it? I got my one in DCU years ago, presume they still sell them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 absel

Has anyone got a criminal, contract and equity exam grid please?

irishasj wrote: »
    Would I be okay studying these topics for tort?

Standard/Duty of care
    Remoteness/Causation
    Defamation
    Product Liability
    Nervous Shock
    Res Ipsa Loquiter
    Damages
    Limitation Periods
    Occupiers Liability
    Trespass to Person
    Vicarious Liability
    ??????

Anything I'm clearly leaving out? Ok to leave nuisance out as it was on the last 3? Should I study Liability for Animals?"

I'm doing all the above & Medical Professional Negligence, Nuisance and Liability for Animals. I'd be weary cutting things just because they appear frequently - but it's up to you. Liability for Animals is very easy you'd have it done in a half an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hiyakeano

absel wrote: »
    Has anyone got a criminal, contract and equity exam grid please?

PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 irishasj

Excellent, thanks a mill. I'll do prof and Animals as well

Happy studying :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement