Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

odwyer94 wrote: »
    For contract I'm studying:

Offer and acceptance

Consideration

Formal requirements

Privity

Capacity

Terms

Exclusion clauses

Consumer contracts

Mistake

Duress

Undue influence

Discharge

Should this be enough? I'm feeling pretty desperate at this stage and wondering if it's even worth doing the exam.

Don't be silly :) that is loads and there are still two full days before contract! you will be fine don't drop out of sitting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

I'm very tempted to just not show up tomorrow. I just can't seem to get my head around Company at all. I'm struggling to even force myself to study it tonight. It'll be a write-off whatever happens

It's an exam, it's not the end of the world. You've paid for it so go in and sit it, you never know what you will remember. A bit of stress and pressure can help you study but not if you're stressing about the wrong things. If you have done any bit of study have more confidence in yourself. And if it goes bad on the day it does but there's no point worrying about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

I'm very tempted to just not show up tomorrow. I just can't seem to get my head around Company at all. I'm struggling to even force myself to study it tonight. It'll be a write-off whatever happens

Had the exact same feeling last night re Tort.

Exam ended up going better than I expected. Will be touch and go whether I pass or not but so glad I sat it.

As Tigerbalm said, you'll be surprised what you remember on the day. You've paid for the exam so you might as well sit it. If nothing else the experience of doing it will stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Post mortems are not a good idea. You cannot go back and re-sit that exam now so genuinely the best thing you can do is put it to the back of your head and move on to whatever you have next.

Absolutely. But it makes the thread more interesting than endless requests for grids, or lists of topics studies followed by an 'is that enough'.

That's just me being selfish though - I am not sitting them. Best of luck to all Boardsies tomorrow and for the rest of the exams 🀓

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

Hunchback wrote: »
    Absolutely. But it makes the thread more interesting than endless requests for grids, or lists of topics studies followed by an 'is that enough'.

That's just me being selfish though - I am not sitting them. Best of luck to all Boardsies tomorrow and for the rest of the exams 🀓

What an exciting life you must lead if you come to boards.ie for entertainment. This thread in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

odwyer94 wrote:
    What an exciting life you must lead if you come to boards.ie for entertainment. This thread in particular.

Ha! So true! My life is not exciting at all. I think that the thread appeals to the sadist in me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

Company
    Hi all hope exam went well. Is anyone at stage where have understanding of each chapter but needs to learn it off cases etc. There is so much to learn with cases exceptions rules statute :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 2121993

How come people seem so sure UV will come up? Is it not kinda irrelevant for companies limited by shares now?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

Mileyt wrote: »
    Company
    Hi all hope exam went well. Is anyone at stage where have understanding of each chapter but needs to learn it off cases etc. There is so much to learn with cases exceptions rules statute :(

That's exactly where I am. Feeling quite hopeless at this point....

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's still very relevant. Have a look through my posts in this thread for pointers.

UV still exists as a doctrine, it won't be as applicable to as many situations but it will still apply to some companies as it always has and will apply to situations where other provisions of CA 2014 make transactions necessarily ultra vires, like loans to directors and many other provisions.

It is also ostensibly the biggest change so worthy of discussion on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

Mileyt wrote: »
    Company

I am there also I am guna write out case names in order of my notes on a page and one word that sums up the case and then the rest will come back to you when your doing exam.also the companies act in front of you should trigger some cases/exceptions.I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 legallywrecked

I'm the same for tomorrow, feeling very unprepared but all the advice everyone is giving is right - you've paid for it and you never know how your luck will fall. If it doesn't go your way at least you will have a better idea of what you are facing for it in March - that's the way I'm looking at it myself. Best of luck :) and remember it is just an exam, best preparation you can do now is a bit of last minute cramming and good rest beforehand.

I definitely don't understand it in that case. Could you just briefly mention some areas where it comes into play? DACs/PLCs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

Can anyone please explain with regards to the rule in Foss v Harbottle, is it still relevant? Like is it now completely obsolete after the introduction of s212 and the only way we could be asked about it in an exam is to compare and contrast etc, or is there anyway where it can still be applied and we could get a problem question whereby we could be asked to apply the rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

It's still very relevant. Have a look through my posts in this thread for pointers.

UV still exists as a doctrine, it won't be as applicable to as many situations but it will still apply to some companies as it always has and will apply to situations where other provisions of CA 2014 make transactions necessarily ultra vires, like loans to directors and many other provisions.

It is also ostensibly the biggest change so worthy of discussion on that basis.

Would you mind outlining the applicability and changes the 2014 Act brought about please

Can shadow and de facto directors be restricted/disqualified/made liable for reckless or fraudulent trading?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

Both can be restricted I think.. Re Gasco Ltd states that a director shadow director within last 12 months can be restricted and Re Lynrowan Enterprises Ltd held that Defacto directors can be restricted.

With regards to being held accountable for reckless and fraudulent trading shadow directors can I think which was held in Re Hocroft Developments Ltd. I'm not sure about Defacto directors though

TheCrutzer wrote: »
    Both can be restricted I think.. Re Gasco Ltd states that a director shadow director within last 12 months can be restricted and Re Lynrowan Enterprises Ltd held that Defacto directors can be restricted.

With regards to being held accountable for reckless and fraudulent trading shadow directors can I think which was held in Re Hocroft Developments Ltd. I'm not sure about Defacto directors though
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure that's right as the point of the Act defining them was to capture them within it. Ugh...so much to learn, so little time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

2121993 wrote: »
    Can shadow and de facto directors be restricted/disqualified/made liable for reckless or fraudulent trading?

They can - defacto directors only can if they are actually held to be a director by the company and they make actual decisions for the company (correct me if I'm wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Hey! 3 Points.

To whoever is thinking about not sitting the exam, I did this before and felt incredibly **** the next day for it. I also went into work with a lot of negative looks from my partners for not attempting it. I would suggest at least going in and at least getting a better feel for the paper. Other people above have made the obvious point that you my actually be surprised when you go in. Sit it and cram like hell! You'll be grand!

Secondly, can anyone advise what Independent or Griffith are recommending for Contract? It would be very much appreciated.

Lastly, has anyone passed these exams by answering 4 solid questions and due to time limits only got a page on the fifth? I made points on the fifth but just the time killed me. Defamation took me way too long :(

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LegalLady2

Quick question, does the exam hall have clocks? (Silly question I know, but I have forgot to pack my own!) Thank you.

LegalLady2 wrote: »
    Quick question, does the exam hall have clocks? (Silly question I know, but I have forgot to pack my own!) Thank you.
    It does.

Yohnathan wrote: »
    Hey! 3 Points.

To whoever is thinking about not sitting the exam, I did this before and felt incredibly **** the next day for it. I also went into work with a lot of negative looks from my partners for not attempting it. I would suggest at least going in and at least getting a better feel for the paper. Other people above have made the obvious point that you my actually be surprised when you go in. Sit it and cram like hell! You'll be grand!

Secondly, can anyone advise what Independent or Griffith are recommending for Contract? It would be very much appreciated.

Lastly, has anyone passed these exams by answering 4 solid questions and due to time limits only got a page on the fifth? I made points on the fifth but just the time killed me. Defamation took me way too long :(

Thanks!
    If it makes you feel any better, I had the same issue today; spent ages on my first three and only had 15-20 minutes each for the last two. Once you get something down you have a good chance of getting some marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

TheCrutzer wrote: »
    Can anyone please explain with regards to the rule in Foss v Harbottle, is it still relevant? Like is it now completely obsolete after the introduction of s212 and the only way we could be asked about it in an exam is to compare and contrast etc, or is there anyway where it can still be applied and we could get a problem question whereby we could be asked to apply the rule?
    Foss is still relevant it is just the hurdles in place and restrictions on a derivative action make them unlikely to succeed and there is less remedies. 212 is statutory rights and is much broader and more remedies and less hurdles to succeed.Foss is less common but I think it's still relevant and giving all the exceptions and hurdles it could easily come up.I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 j.furriskey

Hi guys, does anyone know the timetable for Spring 2017? I'm travelling from Canada and I'm looking to get two dates which are side by side.

Also does anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to the exam schedule or when it might be released?

Thanks in advance!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi guys, does anyone know the timetable for Spring 2017? I'm travelling from Canada and I'm looking to get two dates which are side by side.

Also does anyone know if there's any rhyme or reason to the exam schedule or when it might be released?

Thanks in advance!!

The schedule normally coves out around the same time as the previous sitting's results so I'd expect them around the end of Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

Hi all, I have Constitution on Thursday and I'm wondering do you think it would be OK to bring in my constitution on the morning if the exam? I really don't fancy doing a 2 hour return journey tomorrow when I'm supposed to be studying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    Hi all, I have Constitution on Thursday and I'm wondering do you think it would be OK to bring in my constitution on the morning if the exam? I really don't fancy doing a 2 hour return journey tomorrow when I'm supposed to be studying :(

Hey, I think it would be grand, I have done it before for Property and it was no issue. They just give it to you a little later into the exam. Maybe like an hour tops.

Someone previously argued with my point though so I cannot guarantee anything. I suggest calling them and explaining that you don't live any where near. It's not as big as the Company Act so that might benefit you.

Anyone got any prep course Contract advise for what to focus on?:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

qwerty1991 wrote: »

In previous sittings this has been fine. You should get it back by an hour into the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

The Exam rules state no food or drink in the exam hall. Surely you are allowed to bring some water with you for the 3 hour duration? Is this a new rule as I know people before that have brought a bottle of water with them for the exam.

Also, I know from the previous post that there are clocks in the exam hall. I am however half blind on a good day so was wondering if there was just the one clock at the top of the room for example as I would probably have difficulty seeing it if i am sitting down the back.

Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement