Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

Leraf wrote: »
    The Exam rules state no food or drink in the exam hall. Surely you are allowed to bring some water with you for the 3 hour duration? Is this a new rule as I know people before that have brought a bottle of water with them for the exam.

Also, I know from the previous post that there are clocks in the exam hall. I am however half blind on a good day so was wondering if there was just the one clock at the top of the room for example as I would probably have difficulty seeing it if i am sitting down the back.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah you can bring water or bottled drinks, you're not allowed open containers like cans or coffee cups. I have brought a banana and food before too with no problem.

I think there are a few clocks but if your sight isn't that good just bring a watch so you won't have to worry about it.

Tigerbalm1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any equity tips? Trying to cut down topics! Also if anyone has any exam reports they'd be willing to share I would be very grateful!

Anyone know what the grind schools recommending for equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

If you Google the October 2016 night before notes you will see they have gone through recent developments in equity and their recommendations for main areas of focus

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TinkledPink

What was Q3 on the last sitting's Constitutional paper about?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Yohnathan wrote: »
    Hey! 3 Points.

Lastly, has anyone passed these exams by answering 4 solid questions and due to time limits only got a page on the fifth? I made points on the fifth but just the time killed me. Defamation took me way too long :(

Thanks!

I've heard of people only answering four questions before and passing. If you managed to score 13/20 or above in all four questions then that's a pass.

Also any relevant points you made in your fifth answer will score you some marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

Roughly how many pages long are your answers coming to?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fe1fml

I answered 4 and a few bullet points on a fifth in one last sitting and cam out with 61%. First one to sit and nearly jacked in the rest as was full sure I had failed it! Did better in that than the one I sat and answered what I thought were 5 solid questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭legalease2172

For constitutional law, can anyone please explain in simple baby language what horizontal effect in equality means ?

Horizontal: private individual against private individual

Vertical: private individual against state or emanation of the state

So in the portmarnock golf club case the club was exempt from equality as it was a private company! It was not a school, hospital etc (emanations of the state)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

odwyer94 wrote: »
    Roughly how many pages long are your answers coming to?

I'm practicing questions and coming in at round 2.5 to 3 pages per question at round 10 words a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 living the reality

Original: What was Q3 on the last sitting's Constitutional paper about? (Sorry my quotes aren't working)

You could challenge section 4 on the infringement of the right to livelihood and property rights and sections 11 and 12 on FOE and the right to communicate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

didn't study the right topics for company winding up ,receivership , 2014 act reform and table a questions caught me out. for contract offer acceptance, consideration estoppel, terms of contract, misrep, exclusion clauses, consumer law, mistake , undue influence, unconscionable bargain. identifying the topic in the question a lot harder in contract

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

For Equity does anyone have any predictions or educated guesses for the Equity note section?

Thinking leaving out Strong v Bird and non-charitable trust enforcement both came up last year and the examiner has never re-asked two questions for question before!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 binkevii

What people expect for constitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lawbee3

Does anyone have an exam grid for contract by any chance? I have property and equity if anyone needs them!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Does anyone have an exam grid for contract by any chance? I have property and equity if anyone needs them!

I do, send me your email

For Equity does anyone have any predictions or educated guesses for the Equity note section?

Thinking leaving out Strong v Bird and non-charitable trust enforcement both came up last year and the examiner has never re-asked two questions for question before!

Maxims come up a lot, doctrine of satisfaction, presumption of advancement comes up a bit, DMC, rectification, trusts for relief of poverty, quitclose trusts.

Not really tips but they come up regularly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Tigerbalm1 wrote:
    Yeah you can bring water or bottled drinks, you're not allowed open containers like cans or coffee cups. I have brought a banana and food before too with no problem.

Bananas = grand, no problem. When I was sitting one of my exams last year some delightful person to my right had a big bag of sweets and made so much noise with the plastic wrapping I could have throttled him. Really threw me for a few minutes. He was kind of gorgeing

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ladadidadi234

binkevii - my quote isn't working

Constitutional what I have from Indep:

Sep of powers (not legislature as came up as full question)
    Judicial Review
    Findings (always good to have)
    Equality
    The Oireachtas
    The Courts (less detail than the Oireachtas)
    Property Rights (know but came up as a main topic in a question last paper)
    Family & Education
    Abortion
    Due Course of Law
    Freedom of Expression
    Religious Freedom

and hoping to god that ill get my 5 questions out of that!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Bananas are a really bad idea for exams because they cause a massive crash. You'd be as well off bringing a packet of biscuits (don't bring biscuits.)

The best food for during an exam is an apple or an (already peeled!) orange.

Massive infographic on foods that do/don't cause crashes here: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/17h8ar8t1vkhdpng.png

Ideally, you would be able to have a bit of fish in the middle of your exam but I fear that this may compromise your ability to develop relationships of most kinds in Blackhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 letmcg

No personal rights?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If people PM me their emails I can forward them Contract and Criminal grids.

Bananas are a really bad idea for exams because they cause a massive crash. You'd be as well off bringing a packet of biscuits (don't bring biscuits.)

The best food for during an exam is an apple or an (already peeled!) orange.

Massive infographic on foods that do/don't cause crashes here: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/17h8ar8t1vkhdpng.png

Ideally, you would be able to have a bit of fish in the middle of your exam but I fear that this may compromise your ability to develop relationships of most kinds in Blackhall.

If you are feeling tired and exhausted during the exam after staying up late and getting up early sometimes you need a sugar boost in the exam. Ideally you make time to have a balanced breakfast but realistically that doesn't happen.

I like bananas because they are really easy and quick to eat, they are relatively quiet to eat, no crunching, so you don't annoy other people and you can eat them with one hand while still writing. If you eat it half way in you won't have a "massive crash" til after and you'll get the boost you need to keep going. I think I would crack up if someone starting munching an apple beside me!!

I'm staying team banana haha. Although if you could bring in tea biscuits could be a good option..

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

While we're kind of on the subject of exam annoyances, there was a girl beside me in one of the exams in the last sitting who cracked her knuckles the ENTIRE way through the exam...... it gave me the heeby jeebies. I was nearly fit to puke! One of the adjudicators thankfully eventually pulled her up on it! I get that it may be a nerves/stress thing but if you're on here knuckle cracker, PLEASE buy a stress ball for future exams!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is anyone else here sitting the exams in Blackhall Place?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ladadidadi234

letmcg - quote won't wrong again!!

I'm going to glance over them there have an idea and maybe one or two cases.

not enough hours in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭missindigo123

Anyone any idea for EU?like most important topics, onky really getting started so prob going to fail but may aswell try it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

smeal wrote:
    While we're kind of on the subject of exam annoyances, there was a girl beside me in one of the exams in the last sitting who cracked her knuckles the ENTIRE way through the exam...... it gave me the heeby jeebies. I was nearly fit to puke! One of the adjudicators thankfully eventually pulled her up on it! I get that it may be a nerves/stress thing but if you're on here knuckle cracker, PLEASE buy a stress ball for future exams!!

This is hilarious ....although the things that test your patience and I am very patient but the week of exams everrrything gets to you even friends messaging me normal everyday messages whilst I'm locked in an aslym with cabin fever haha

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

How did everyone find company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

Mileyt wrote: »
    How did everyone find company ?

It was a very doable paper in my opinion. Happily answered 5 questions. But I've heard of people coming out of exams happy with the paper and have failed & others (like myself) coming out of exams upset thinking they've failed and have passed. So I'm not getting my hopes up. These exams are so unpredictable.

I definitely recommend having the legislation for all the exams that admit them. They genuinely take a weight off your shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 OscarBN

smeal wrote: »

Or the absolute bang of red bull! The slurping was a great addition.
    Although I did appreciate the person emptying the bottle bank outside during constitutional last sitting that was amazing.

Ear plugs all the way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement