Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

I have been writing my case names in red pen but I notice everyone else is highlighting them.Are they going to put me in the bold corner?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I have been writing my case names in red pen but I notice everyone else is highlighting them.Are they going to put me in the bold corner?

I've been writing in red pen too. I use inky pens so if I used highlighter all I'd get is a mess! I doubt it matters, it's just to emphasise the cases

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Mileyt

20029422 wrote:
    is question 5 based on mere representation and warranty or other chapters also?

I based it on chapter on contractual terms one example being timing is important re a verbal statment the closer to the completion of the contract the more likely it is a warranty or if made straight after contract even seconds it is not held to be a term....anyone do question 1 or 2 and if so what topics did you answer on?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 OscarBN

Mileyt wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea how they mark these exams...I just feel my two exams I totally understand the topics but I keep forgetting the cases and whilst I feel the right principles are going down the answers are on the short side especially when I hear the norm is 2.5 pages. I just wonder is it more important that they know you understand what your talking about but might be sketchy on cases.....:/

Memory loss from sheer exhaustion

I would say principles and thorough understanding reads really obviously to any examiner. I've had to resort to.....there was a case.....or in the case where x happened in exams I've passed. So don't worry its a waste of time. It happens, you're exhausted you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

Can someone please tell me how to approach Eu law and is it more of a very general understanding that gets you through it? How do people learn so much? What can be left out? So little time!!!! I have property the day before so dreading the night before fear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

I had the pleasure of sitting across from a girl who spent the whole first hour complaining to the supervisors that the exam hall was too cold and that she couldn't concentrate. Ironically preventing me and other annoyed people around her from concentrating! She even had a jumper and jacket on the floor but was sat in a tee-shirt... They eventually folded and the place was like a sauna fairly soon after that! Twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thedocker

Last October I came out happy with my Company exam as had answered 5 solid questions. Exam results came out and I got 41%. Couldn't believe this so for the first time in my life I went for an exam recheck and Passed! Think the examiner made a mistake when adding up my marks or gave me someone else's result. Examiners are human too. So basically if you are very happy with your exam and yet did not pass it then back yourself and get a recheck.

I've heard a few crazy stories with people getting 18% and passing on recheck they can miss whole sections there's no excuse the effort and cost of these exams as is without having to fork out for rechecks but sure they make money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 living the reality

Do you get the recheck fee back if you pass on it?

Good question ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 OscarBN

Do you get the recheck fee back if you pass on it?

As far as I'm aware if you pass on recheck the cost is refunded, it's on the site somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

Mileyt wrote: »
    I based it on chapter on contractual terms one example being timing is important re a verbal statment the closer to the completion of the contract the more likely it is a warranty or if made straight after contract even seconds it is not held to be a term....anyone do question 1 or 2 and if so what topics did you answer on?

I think it was mistake and misrep/implied contract

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thedocker

Yes I got the exam recheck money back when I passed. Its €115 for a recheck as opposed to €105 for the exam itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 devinerocks88

OscarBN wrote: »
    Was it just me or was there a lot going on in that exam?
    Really emphasises the point to cover the whole course, lots and lots of issues everywhere! Essays were very specific too.

Thought the paper was awful by contract paper standards tbh - so many mixed topics. Is this the same idea as you or am I way off the mark? Help for Q3 and 4 would be appreciated - suddenly it's like the tort paper without any direction!
    Q1 unilateral mistake and frustration
    Q2 misrep consumer protection privity and damages
    Q3 capacity beneficial contracts of service acceptance (formation of a contract) and the last paragraph past consideration??
    Q4 business efficacy test implying terms by matter of fact and honestly anyone could tell me what the second part of that question was??
    Q5 term rep and advertising puff - mainly the contractual terms chapter
    Q6 past consideration and prom estoppel
    Q7 illegal contracts - statute
    Q8 penalty clauses and consumer protection chapter w/excl clauses

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

Thought the paper was awful by contract paper standards tbh - so many mixed topics. Is this the same idea as you or am I way off the mark? Help for Q3 and 4 would be appreciated - suddenly it's like the tort paper without any direction!
    Q1 unilateral mistake and frustration
    Q2 misrep consumer protection privity and damages
    Q3 capacity beneficial contracts of service acceptance (formation of a contract) and the last paragraph past consideration??
    Q4 business efficacy test implying terms by matter of fact and honestly anyone could tell me what the second part of that question was??
    Q5 term rep and advertising puff - mainly the contractual terms chapter
    Q6 past consideration and prom estoppel
    Q7 illegal contracts - statute
    Q8 penalty clauses and consumer protection chapter w/excl clauses

Jesus just shows you would be better off making small few pages notes on all chapters rather than picking 10 and writing detailed notes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Yohnathan wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of sitting across from a girl who spent the whole first hour complaining to the supervisors that the exam hall was too cold and that she couldn't concentrate. Ironically preventing me and other annoyed people around her from concentrating! She even had a jumper and jacket on the floor but was sat in a tee-shirt... They eventually folded and the place was like a sauna fairly soon after that! Twat.

Were you in block F by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

For question 3 the last paragraph i thought were terms implied by the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980?

For question 4 for the second paragraph I argued that he may be liable for repudiatory/anticipatory breach where it is made clear that he has no intention of performing the contract as agreed. I also argued he may be liable to account for profits where he deliberately breached the contract in an attempt to make more money elsewhere. Because he got a better deal from Melanie?

I'm not sure I could be completely wrong, I literally didn't know what other possible argument to make so i just put it down! I thought it was a tough paper too. You really had to know your stuff to jump from topic to topic like that!

Were you in block F by any chance?

Yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

Is this the girl that got extra time at the end? Was wondering why she did

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FE1010101

Hi guys just wondering has anyone got an up to date EU grid to send on to me please?

• Advertisement

For question 3 the last paragraph i thought were terms implied by the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980?

For question 4 for the second paragraph I argued that he may be liable for repudiatory/anticipatory breach where it is made clear that he has no intention of performing the contract as agreed. I also argued he may be liable to account for profits where he deliberately breached the contract in an attempt to make more money elsewhere. Because he got a better deal from Melanie?

I'm not sure I could be completely wrong, I literally didn't know what other possible argument to make so i just put it down! I thought it was a tough paper too. You really had to know your stuff to jump from topic to topic like that!

I went for past consideration and the exception to it for last paragraph in q3 and now panic has entered the building. Also q4 is definitely a rep breach and I am FUMING I'm only seeing that now I just blanked entirely but I did have account of profit... Lord Jesus this is why I avoid post mortems like the plague! I cannot believe I'll have to do contract again just take my soul it'd would be easier!!!! Really thought if you based any of your prep on previous exam questions or detailed specific areas you would have been absolutely screwed and also found myself really really stuck on time as two of the questions were advising three parties

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grlpwr

Yeah I also went for implied terms into a contract of service for last paragraph of Q3, just wondering how the consumer protection element and privity came into Q2? Probably shouldn't ask...

grlpwr wrote: »
    Yeah I also went for implied terms into a contract of service for last paragraph of Q3, just wondering how the consumer protection element and privity came into Q2? Probably shouldn't ask...

I thought it was a s 39 implied term that service should be supplied with diligence etc and also then the goods didn't match the description side of it and then also she was a wedding planner with sub contractors so for the wedding party to sue her you'd have to mention privity but under the exception of agency?? I imagine I'm completely wrong as sheer terror took over as soon as I opened the paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Glad I'm not the only who thought contract was tough. Everyone I've spoken to in the lead up has been like "oh contract is graaaand!"

I'm definitely expecting a fail on results day, I just blanked all the cases and could only answer 4 and a half questions. Sigh. Not a great start :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

But they were suing Lucy directly and she had subcontracted finn?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 2121993

Glad I'm not the only who thought contract was tough. Everyone I've spoken to in the lead up has been like "oh contract is graaaand!"

I'm definitely expecting a fail on results day, I just blanked all the cases and could only answer 4 and a half questions. Sigh. Not a great start :pac:
    Four and a half is pretty good going. I came out of it convinced I failed last year and got 56. If everyone thought the standard was tough they'll take that into consideration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

devinerocks88 Post mortems are the worst. I wouldn't worry about missing out on one issue. In contract law terms i thought it was a tough paper. I was very limited for choice. If you decently attempted 5 questions I think you're doing good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dokers

I made the exact same argument re repudiatory beaches and accounting for profits. Literally glanced at both last night in the current issues section of City College's night before notes (I think, it's all kind of a blur). If it was right then a big thanks to City!

I didn't even notice if she got extra time. I was out the gap as soon as half 12 came!

For people who have passed Contract and Tort, how many cases are people mentioning in their answers in general and how many pages? Do some people ever just do their fourth and fifth question without caselaw?

I'm flat out writing 4 pages with ****loads of caselaw for the first three questions then down to 3 pages for the fourth and always out of time with only 10 mins and a page for my fifth. I may need to rethink my strategy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Snakeydoogey

Got 45 on Criminal,equity and contract in March.Paid for re checks on all 3 and got 45 on all 3 in the re check.Not 1% higher or lower folks.Theres some great re check stories out there but mine isn't one of them.I Don't regret getting them re checked because I needed the closure so it's a personal decision.Your money,your choice.Have a relaxing weekend boys and girls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement