Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Main Topics.
    Actus Reus/Mens Rea
    Homicide
    Sexual Offences
    NFOAP
    Offences against Property

Secondary Topics
    Bail/Arrest/Detention
    Participation in a Crime
    Public Order Offences
    Inchoate Offences

Back up Topic (which can be used instead of one of the Main Topics) - Minor v non-minor and Presumption of Innocence.

Be interested to see the predictions from Independent, if any kind soul would like to share :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mockman

Would anyone be able to send me the property grid? I am DESPERATE at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭starbar91

What are the grind schools predicting for Property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

mockman wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to send me the property grid? I am DESPERATE at this stage!

pm your email

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

starbar91 wrote: »
    Equity question for all you of enthusiasts out there.

So, half secret trust created by testator for benefit of his partner who he didn't want to disclose on will (Aoife). Will says leave to John and Mary as tenants in common in confidence they'll use it for purposes testator will tell. Only tells John that property to go to aoife before he dies and John doesn't tell Mary. Mary claims entitlement to half.

Rule in Re Stead (although on full secret trusts) says that trust will only bind those who have been communicated the obligation. Further distinguishes those tenants in common who know of trust but not the specific obligation. Such a person (Mary), will hold on a resulting trust for testators estate due to half secret trust failing.

My question: does whole half secret trust fail or just Mary's portion? As in, John has met all criteria for Aoife to benefit from his part of half secret trust - is she then a tenant in common with testators estate or has half secret trust totally failed and the estate is the only beneficiary??

Mucho appreciado :)

If you directly apply Re Stead and the rules as they apply to fully secret trusts then John is bound by the terms of the trust and holds his beneficial interest on trust for Aoife and it only fails for Mary.. I don't know fully though for half secret trusts. As tenants in common have separate interests in a property I would guess the Court could construe it as John holding his beneficial interest on trust.. and the same for Mary, rather than John and Mary holding together (which would be the case fo joint tenants and I'd say a the trust would fail as a whole if that were the case)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 bivo87

LawGuy2016 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering does anybody have any Infringement notes for EU?

I have notes done up for most of the other topics (apart from (Equality & State Aid) which I am more than happy to share in return.

Thanks.

do you want to send me on your email address?

Any eu predictions from independent? They were spot on for tort...too bad I didn't listen 😣 my attempt to answer the false imprisonment and duty of care question was dire. ..which obviously screams to the examiner I was banking on certain topics. .. will I ever learn.

No one on this thread seems to have any idea of possible topics for this sittings. I'm no better, I'm at a loss too and starting to panic. Do you know what came up for the new examiner?? I'm going my notes/past papers from March 2015!

I wonder is there any recent cases in EU that I should be aware of? My notes are from March 2015 (when i failed :-() so I'm really starting to panic now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Just if anyone is doing duress for criminal, the Supreme Court ruled in may just gone that it cannot be raised as a defence for murder (Dunne v DPP)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Any particular recommendations for Property?

• Advertisement

Do you, or anyone have last years paper that could send me a pic of??

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

For cy pres in equity I don't get the difference between initial failure of a gift and subsequent failure. Can anyone explain how this effects the application of the doctrine?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator:

Just to clear things up as there seems to have been some confusion; it doesn't look like the thread was actually reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FE1010101

This is what im going off for EU:

Institutions
    General Principles - Fundamental Rights Essay
    Supremacy
    Direct Effect
    Member State Liability
    JR- Standing
    Preliminary Ref ART 267
    FMOG
    Private International Law

Tight on time so cut it to the topics that appear regularly enough and dont take all day to learn.

FE1010101 wrote: »
    This is what im going off for EU:

Institutions
    General Principles - Fundamental Rights Essay
    Supremacy
    Direct Effect
    Member State Liability
    JR- Standing
    Preliminary Ref ART 267
    FMOG
    Private International Law

Tight on time so cut it to the topics that appear regularly enough and dont take all day to learn.

I'm doing all them but hoping to add in competition. I've no idea what was on the last two papers so hoping for the best. I really think I should do either equality/mergers/private international law as I'm not planning on doing the case law q! So stressed 😫

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LegalLady2

General question in Equity if anybody can help it'd be much appreciated -

Is tracing only invoked in breach of trustee/beneficiary relationships? Rather than any type of fiduciary relationships?
    And thus, constructive trusts would be a more appropriate remedy for those of other types of fiduciary relationships if tracing is limited to trusts?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 irishasj

Any predictions for Equity from Griffith, independent etc?! :/

Eleven Topics for Careful Revision
    (Page numbers refer to City College’s FE1 Equity & Trusts manual)
    Trusts
    The Three Certainties
    Secret Trusts
    Charitable Trusts
    Resulting Trusts, including:
    Quistclose Trusts
    Re Andrews/Osaba
    Constructive Trusts
    Trusteeship
    Equity
    Injunctions (particularly Mandatory Injunctions (pp. 164 - 167)
    Specific Performance
    Rectification
    Rescission & Undue Influence
    Proprietary Estoppel

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ladadidadi234

From Indep:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Easements
    Registration of Land
    Co-Ownership
    Leasehold Ownership
    Family Prop
    Mortgages

Then
    Findings
    Licences & Rights of Residence
    have those two in your back pocket v easy to learn and often come up!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ak4321

Can anyone clarify what, if any, attention should be given to the pre 2009 position on rights of the mortgagee? Or should we just state the law as it currently stands? Find this very confusing as the manuals give both positions in detail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 living the reality

ak4321 you need to know the pre-2009 position as it still applies to mortgages which were created before 1/12/2009.

The 2009 Act applies prospectively but the Act repealed the previous position and didn't include any saving provision which meant that any mortgage created before the 2009 was not subject to any statutory rules.

The drafters intention was that the Interpretation Act 2005 would allow mortgages created before the enactment to be governed by the old rules but in Start Mortgages v Gun, Dunne J found that she couldn't read this interpretation in to the Act and the old rules didn't apply.

This led to a great deal of uncertainty until the LCRLRA 2013 which provided that mortgages created before the enactment will be governed by the old position.

From Indep:

Succession
    Adverse Possession
    Easements
    Registration of Land
    Co-Ownership
    Leasehold Ownership
    Family Prop
    Mortgages

Then
    Findings
    Licences & Rights of Residence
    have those two in your back pocket v easy to learn and often come up!

Thank you!
    Not sure if I can put myself through mortgages but I have the rest done so feeling alright.

EDIT: Are people bringing in the LCLRA 09 into the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I am but I don't know if I'll use it, no harm to have it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fe1r

How important is it to learn sentences in criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

For property I've decided to do only do Treasure Trove, Succession, Co-ownership, Adverse Possession, Family Home and Easements. Probably a bit risky but I know the pass rate is really high for Property and thought my time would be better spent studying for the other exams....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rebelgirl87

odwyer94 wrote: »
    For property I've decided to do only do Treasure Trove, Succession, Co-ownership, Adverse Possession, Family Home and Easements. Probably a bit risky but I know the pass rate is really high for Property and thought my time would be better spent studying for the other exams....

Property examiner is meant to be a tough marker so dont fall into the trap of thinking its not as important as the other exams. Just saying! I fell into the trap the last time round!

Property examiner is meant to be a tough marker so dont fall into the trap of thinking its not as important as the other exams. Just saying! I fell into the trap the last time round!

Hmm I might have a quick look over Mortgages too in that case....

Has anyone else found it really hard to get much work done today? I'd say that I've only really managed an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 2121993

Has anyone else found it really hard to get much work done today? I'd say that I've only really managed an hour or two.
    Yeah - been like that the last few days! I can taste the freedom

• Advertisement

OscarBN wrote: »
    Its risky but if you choose to cut down on topics know them inside out and upside down, they can come up any which way.......
    E.g adverse possession was an essay specifically on reform back in sept 2015

I always think the 100 miles wide 10 deep is the best philosophy

Yeah it seems like the best approach anyway.

I really regret only making a half arsed attempt at these exams. Only started studying in mid August and didn't kill myself with the work - tried to scrape by with as little work as possible (my usual approach) - which was silly because I have to sit the exams anyway so I may as well have made a decent effort rather than going into the exams in the knowledge that I won't be able to answer 5 questions unless I'm lucky....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement