Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Has anyone else found it really hard to get much work done today? I'd say that I've only really managed an hour or two.

Yeah am in that boat - have been "reading" over Injunctions all day - thoughts of last weeks exams coming back to haunt me over and over....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

Fe1r wrote: »
    How important is it to learn sentences in criminal?

I assume not very important. Some of the sentencing are very obvious - murder, mandatory life, capital murder - 40 years. I'm going by what I can remember but not learning them aggressively.

What is important is the information regarding the offences and the case law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Fe1r wrote: »
    How important is it to learn sentences in criminal?

A quick 5 minute run down before exams through a few of them wouldnt do any harm. Most of them are in between 2/3 to 10 years, more serious ones like murder, aggravated offences, MS, Rape, obviously hit more (10 to life), property offences usually under 4/5, pick a number which you think reflects the severity if unsure, same with assault offences , remember tpo throw in fines, again take a stab, if unsure.

Examiner probably will know most get smaller offence penalties muddled up but more serious ones, like first ones I listed may be less forgiveable on his/her behalf (I mean unforgiveable on your behalf, not the fictional culprit in the questions behalf!! ) A lot of info, so whilst the odd mark would have to be deducted, once you have a ball park penalty, he may be not that harsh on you.

But, I haven't done much looking into the specific penalties myself. 5/10 minutes this evening and then again in the morning will aid you.

Obviously remember offences whilst on bail and sex offender list etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Does anyone know if you can request to view your exam paper before submitting it for a re-check?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

Does anyone know if you can request to view your exam paper before submitting it for a re-check?

Something tells me the Law Soc are a bit too fond of money to allow this 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

I'm 99% sure you can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

God I hope recklessness comes up tomorrow it's so handy! If it does, thanks in advance to the talking bread for mentioning the possibility of it coming up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

With regards to Property - am I right in saying that a trespasser has no rights whatsoever to an object found in or on land?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

odwyer94 wrote: »
    Yeah it seems like the best approach anyway.

I really regret only making a half arsed attempt at these exams. Only started studying in mid August and didn't kill myself with the work - tried to scrape by with as little work as possible (my usual approach) - which was silly because I have to sit the exams anyway so I may as well have made a decent effort rather than going into the exams in the knowledge that I won't be able to answer 5 questions unless I'm lucky....

On my third attempt of eu and I'm in the same mood as you. I've no idea why I lack a sense of urgency. I'm studying competition law here... bored out of my mind. The case names are a joke to remember.

On my third attempt of eu and I'm in the same mood as you. I've no idea why I lack a sense of urgency. I'm studying competition law here... bored out of my mind. The case names are a joke to remember.

This disheartens me for EU as I am very ill prepared. If you dont mind me asking where do you feel the downfall is? Any tips as to what to do avoid etc?

• Advertisement

Would any kind soul out there have a list of the case notes that came up on the last exam paper? #begging

• Registered Users Posts: 25 2121993

Would any kind soul out there have a list of the case notes that came up on the last exam paper? #begging
    (i) Case C-34/2009,
    Gerardo Ruiz Zambrano v ONEM [2011] ECR I- 1177;

(ii) Case C-341/2005 Laval un Partneri Ltd v Svenska Byggnadsarbetareförbundet

[2007] ECR l
    11767;

(iii) Case C-370/2012, Pringle v Government of Ireland, Ireland and the Attorney General [2012] ECLI 756;

(iv) Case C-453/99, Courage Ltd. v Crehan [2001] ECR 1-6297;

(v) Case 340/89,
    Vlassopoulou v Ministerium fur Justiz [1991[ ECR 2357;

(vi) Case C-236/2009, Association Beige des Consommateurs Test- Achats and others v Council [2011] ECR 1-773;

(vii) Case C-384/1993, Alpine Investments v Minister van Financien
    [1995] ECR 1-1141;

(viii) Case C-333/2013,
    Dano v Jobcentre Leipzig [2014] EU:2358 .

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

zxcvbnm123 wrote: »
    Has anyone any inclination as to what Q3 in the constitutional exam yesterday was? Still can't get my head around it 😰

Hi there, I answered it on equality. I also threw in art42 and family but I don't think that was necessary ;) did you answer q7? If so, what did you answer it on? I used property, principles and policies - i.e. Court was acting outside of principles and policies within the act cause John made the application directly to court instead via public body first. I also mentioned standing and no remuneration

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

In Criminal, March 2016, did intoxication come up as a defence? I have a feeling it did but cannot remember! Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

qwerty1991 wrote: »
    In Criminal, March 2016, did intoxication come up as a defence? I have a feeling it did but cannot remember! Thanks in advance :)

yeah, but it comes up almost every year so wouldn't omit it.

Insanity may be a wildcard to come up. Due a slot, going by the appearance trends.

Any predictions as to what will come up for Practice, Procedure, Detention & Bail? I hate the chapter due to the amount of statute but I am not leaving it out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawGuy2016

Hi, just wondering does anybody have any State Aid notes and also a case note done for Ryanair Holdings that they wouldn't mind sending on to me?

I have notes done on most of the other Chapters and most popular cases that I'm more than happy to send in exchange.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

2121993 wrote: »
    Any predictions as to what will come up for Practice, Procedure, Detention & Bail? I hate the chapter due to the amount of statute but I am not leaving it out completely.

My grid says that CCA and CA and the presumption of innocence didn't come up last sitting, and that the rest did. I'm doing arrest and detention, silence, bail and presumption of innocence

My grid says that CCA and CA and the presumption of innocence didn't come up last sitting, and that the rest did. I'm doing arrest and detention, silence, bail and presumption of innocence
    Haha pretty much all of it! Yeah I think I'll just cover it but in less detail than the other topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Learning (reading) criminal allllll day and nothing is sticking :( to many acts, sections, sentences, crimes how do you remember it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Leraf wrote: »
    Learning (reading) criminal allllll day and nothing is sticking :( to many acts, sections, sentences, crimes how do you remember it all

Might be too late for tomorrow, but if you are taking exams in the future, I can recommend 'How to Pass Exams' by Dominic O'Brien. The book explains methods to remember really big quantities of information. It's really great for things like remembering the names of legislation, section numbers, case names, judges names etc. Basically it is great for the FE1's.

Best of luck in your criminal exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

Leraf wrote: »

Don't worry - I garruntee it will all come to you in the exam. <<Mod deletion>>. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 letmcg

are the exams being held in the red cow hotel? saw some people claiming they were sitting it in the law society

Has anyone ever passed the EU exam and didn't do the casenote? Is it risky not doing it? Or if anyone has some they can send on I would be forever grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tigerbalm1

<
    lawgal wrote: »
    Has anyone ever passed the EU exam and didn't do the casenote? Is it risky not doing it? Or if anyone has some they can send on I would be forever grateful

You can definitely pass EU without doing the casenote. I would say that it would be risky to be relying on it now without having the prep done. <<Mod deletion>>

There is a huge amount of prep required to answer it well. If you are stuck for a last question it can come in handy, but the exam reports usually note that it is badly answered. Remember it is not sufficient to know the bare minimum details of the case, you need to know the reasoning of the court, any advocate general opinions etc.

Thanks I Think in the time it would take me to gather some info and learn them I would have another topic or two done. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    All the best to all for the remainder of the exams
    I have deleted some references to examiners' attitudes to their subjects

One more Q about EU if anyone can help me out.. is reg 44/2001 (brussels 1 reg) not in blackstones?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ladadidadi234

Dunne1995 wrote: »
    With regards to Property - am I right in saying that a trespasser has no rights whatsoever to an object found in or on land?

Yes you are! Landowner will automatically have possession of item unless true owner is found

• Advertisement

Any topics that are due to come up for EU?

I can't seem to recall anything I learnt before. I need to pick a few topics and focus on them I think.

Really hoping a direct effect problem question comes up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement