Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

Could someone please tell me how do I know when Art 30 or Art 110 applies? Stressfull stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 43 legallywrecked

I can't say for sure but I expect you could probably hold your place on the course until the results and pay then but they wouldn't give access to the lectures or materials until you paid.

Again, can't say for definite would be worth emailing the office but from past dealings with online courses in colleges I'd expect it's that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 2121993

Could someone please tell me how do I know when Art 30 or Art 110 applies? Stressfull stuff
    Article 30 applies if the charge applies when they cross a border or frontier, easiest way to differentiate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 legallywrecked

For EU tomorrow I have the following covered;

Direct/Indirect Effect
    Institutions (not very well)
    Freedom of Establishment/Freedom to Provide Services
    Competition 101 and 102
    Equality
    Supremacy
    Art 267
    FMOG
    Citizenship
    Free Movement of Workers

I know I'm lacking a good few but is there anything glaringly lacking that I should try cover quickly?

thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lawbee3

binkevii wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunslinger92 View Post
    Ahhh I know it's some feeling having a choice of questions! Just hope I made the right choice going with the co ownership instead of the s.90 succession one now!
    Did ye say that Monica's original will was valid?

** Did coownership too but screwed up the commorientes part oops hopefully won't be too bad as it's only half the question eek!! I think it was valid unless the witnesses had their backs turned helping the other patient when Joey signed as it must be in the line of sight or they must have the opportunity to see it?

did you discuss revocation of the will?

Yep cheese v lovejoy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭amomcnico91

For Equity I have covered the following:
    Injunctions
    Anton Pillar Order & Mareva Injunctions
    Charitable Trusts
    Specific Performance
    Rectification
    Undue Influence
    Secret Trusts
    The Three Certainties
    Trusteeship
    Promissory & Proprietary Estoppel

Is this enough - I know I've left out Constructive Trusts & Resulting Trusts but should I be safe with the above or would anyone recommend anything else?

For EU tomorrow I have the following covered;

Direct/Indirect Effect
    Institutions (not very well)
    Freedom of Establishment/Freedom to Provide Services
    Competition 101 and 102
    Equality
    Supremacy
    Art 267
    FMOG
    Citizenship
    Free Movement of Workers

I know I'm lacking a good few but is there anything glaringly lacking that I should try cover quickly?

thanks a mill

I've heard rumours of the ordinary legislative procedure. Maybe a quick read...orginally co-decision procedure, introduced by maastrict to counter criticism there was a democratic deficit in EU...gives parliament power to veto.. covered in the legislation when your really stuck ... could be a handy fifth question 😊

I've heard rumours of the ordinary legislative procedure. Maybe a quick read...orginally co-decision procedure, introduced by maastrict to counter criticism there was a democratic deficit in EU...gives parliament power to veto.. covered in the legislation when your really stuck ... could be a handy fifth question 😊
    I think Brexit might make a question on democratic deficit more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

Can anyone give me a hand on the principal of conferral?

If asked a general essay question about it i'm not sure what exactly you are expected to discuss. I know what conferral is, that the EU can only act within powers given to it by MSs. So does that mean you are to talk generally on the chapter on sources of law, the legal basis for legislation, catch all articles, effect of lisbon regarding criminal law etc? Or would a question on conferral be expected to discuss competences governed by principles of subsidiarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

Tigerbalm1 wrote: »
    I don't think so if you have a good selection of other topics. I'm leaving out injunctions, I know it means I'm down to a choice of 7 questions but I really don't like it.

I don't know what to leave out I want to leave out injunctions and constructive but worried if they both come up and injunctions can come up twice I'd be in trouble then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

For Equity I have covered the following:
    Injunctions
    Anton Pillar Order & Mareva Injunctions
    Charitable Trusts
    Specific Performance
    Rectification
    Undue Influence
    Secret Trusts
    The Three Certainties
    Trusteeship
    Promissory & Proprietary Estoppel

Is this enough - I know I've left out Constructive Trusts & Resulting Trusts but should I be safe with the above or would anyone recommend anything else?

I'm doing the same pretty much, just leaving out Mareva and doing Express Trusts instead of Secret Trusts!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

Anyone feel like they've sunk with EU? Cant retain anything and getting cases mixed up everywhere. Any feel good EU sucesses to help me out 😄

lawgal wrote: »
    Anyone feel like they've sunk with EU? Cant retain anything and getting cases mixed up everywhere. Any feel good EU sucesses to help me out 😄
    Haha yep - I'm reading it and I feel like I get it but then I've forgotten it all a few chapters later... I'm just trying to retain the main cases for different topics and hoping to get by on that. Only saving grace is that it's my last one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawgal

2121993 wrote: »
    Haha yep - I'm reading it and I feel like I get it but then I've forgotten it all a few chapters later... I'm just trying to retain the main cases for different topics and hoping to get by on that. Only saving grace is that it's my last one :D

So overwhelmed 🙈 have you much left out?

lawgal wrote: »
    So overwhelmed 🙈 have you much left out?
    Left out free movement of workers, services, establishment and capital and might as well have left out mergers and private international law - probably risky but at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Bit late to do charitable trusts now isn't it? So much in it plus I have plenty other topics covered

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

Bit late to do charitable trusts now isn't it? So much in it plus I have plenty other topics covered

if you wrote just 10 lines on each heading religion.poverty.education and other gifts benefit the community you would have a fair idea what the topic is about if forced to write something about it just go straight to the headings and skip the act I'd say

It's actually a very doable topic - if you have time to take an hour to cover it do.

You just need to know the 4 recognised types of charitable trusts the fact that Trusts for Sports, Tourism or Politics are not charitable, the case law is also quite easy to remember.

But if you feel you have enough covered - as I said I'm leaving out Resulting and Constructive trusts. No point attempting to learn something if it simply won't go into your head. Good luck.

Hmm okay I might go over it! Thanks guys. I am also leaving out constructive and resulting trusts :pac: doing secret trusts and express trusts

Hmm okay I might go over it! Thanks guys. I am also leaving out constructive and resulting trusts :pac: doing secret trusts and express trusts

Yep same - Secret Trusts, Strong V Bird & DMC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LegalLady2

Can anyone clarify - would a question on mandatory injunctions (such as different tests/judicial divergence) would this typically invite students to include employment injunctions?

In college we focused a lot on employment injunctions and I am just wondering do they slip into the answer on mandatory interlocutory injunctions? Thanks.

LegalLady2 wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify - would a question on mandatory injunctions (such as different tests/judicial divergence) would this typically invite students to include employment injunctions?

In college we focused a lot on employment injunctions and I am just wondering do they slip into the answer on mandatory interlocutory injunctions? Thanks.

Yeah you definitely could include it - the courts are reluctant to grant mandatory injunctions for personal service! - more likely this could be asked in a specific performance question though!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Could anyone please send me an Equity grid? I took last night off after Property and already regretting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

ChloeElla wrote: »
    Could anyone please send me an Equity grid? I took last night off after Property and already regretting it!

pm your email

Can anyone explain the importance of inconsistency in secret trusts to me? It's only a tiny paragraph in my manual but I'm just not getting what it's saying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LawGuy2016

How did people find EU?

For the competition law question 8A, I wrote about Agreement Concertrd practice and decision. However, I mixed it all up.

I wrote what I learned for concerted practice under then heading decision and then incorrectly waffled on a bit for for decision as I couldn't remember information on that. It should be clear I mixed the concerted practice bit up. Basically I kept using the word decision for concerted practice when what I was discussing was clearly a concerted practice. I wonder will I get marks for this part of the question or be graded out of 4.5/5, given the only correct information in it refers to what an agreement is?

So annoyed at myself. What did I look at my notes after the exam??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

Can anyone explain the importance of inconsistency in secret trusts to me? It's only a tiny paragraph in my manual but I'm just not getting what it's saying :pac:

Thats always kind of confused me. My understanding of it is that it relates to half secret trusts only and if there is inconsistencies between when the will says communication took place and when communication actually took place and if these both arent the same then the secret trust fails.

LawGuy2016 wrote: »
    How did people find EU?

For the competition law question 8A, I wrote about Agreement Concertrd practice and decision. However, I mixed it all up.

I wrote what I learned for concerted practice under then heading decision and then incorrectly waffled on a bit for for decision as I couldn't remember information on that. It should be clear I mixed the concerted practice bit up. Basically I kept using the word decision for concerted practice when what I was discussing was clearly a concerted practice. I wonder will I get marks for this part of the question or be graded out of 4.5/5, given the only correct information in it refers to what an agreement is?

So annoyed at myself. What did I look at my notes after the exam??!!

You will definitely get some marks. Don't stress. I passed company and constitutional with three good answers ..like good. .not excellent...and two absolutely clutching at straws questions with no case law. Not joking. You never know what way these go.

iI don't know why but when I looked at the art 30 and 34 question it was as if i never seen anything like it before..I got all confused despite having studied this chapter quite well. It's funny what lack of sleep can do.

How did people answer this question?

I thought the citizenship question was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭clocks

TheCrutzer wrote: »
    Thats always kind of confused me. My understanding of it is that it relates to half secret trusts only and if there is inconsistencies between when the will says communication took place and when communication actually took place and if these both arent the same then the secret trust fails.

Could you provide a little more context? I'm not sure "inconsistency" is a term of art.

Do you mean the inconsistency between what it says on the face of the will and the trust instrument ?

• Advertisement

clocks wrote: »
    Could you provide a little more context? I'm not sure "inconsistency" is a term of art.

Do you mean the inconsistency between what it says on the face of the will and the trust instrument ?

In Re Keen on the will the testator stated that he would provide the details of the trust to the trustee during his lifetime. He handed the trustee an envelope containing the details but told the trustee not to open the envelope until after his death.

After his death the trustee received the full details of the trust by opening the envelope.The will stated the trustee would know this during the testators lifetime - which he did not - he only found out the details of the trust after the testators
    death.

Although the communication was effective. It was inconsistent with the will.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement