Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Here's my two cents with four behind me: go through the past papers with your topics. If you can answer at least 6 of 8 in each FE-1 going back the years then you're likely to get your 5 on the day. Besides you really want to have 6 of 8 on the day, having some choice is a huge stress remover right at the start of the exam.

I agree with this, past papers is the way to go, if I'd done this last time I doubt I'd be resitting equity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

MeganC1554 wrote: »
    So far I have done notes for:

Competition
    Direct and indirect effect
    Preliminary Reference
    Infringement procedures
    Judicial standing
    Free movement of goods
    Citenzship
    Fundamental rights

Still have to do case notes and maybe just doing one more topic....

I was hoping to get away with that.. any suggestions?

Highly recommend covering the Institutions, Sources of Law (Legislation) and all the General Rights, not just Fundamental Rights so Proportionality, Non-Discrimination, Transparency etc.

The other Freedoms would be a good bet for this sitting considering they didnt appear last sitting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Exactly how much emphasis is placed on case names versus simply knowing the principle of law and how it applies?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Highly recommend covering the Institutions, Sources of Law (Legislation) and all the General Rights, not just Fundamental Rights so Proportionality, Non-Discrimination, Transparency etc.

The other Freedoms would be a good bet for this sitting considering they didnt appear last sitting![/quote]

Cheers RedHighKing.

Any form of direction is much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

annmc882 wrote: »
    12 for tort seems on low side ?

I'm doing the top 12 topics - all of the topics which have come up in 40-80% of the exams in the past 10 years - and hoping for the best! Could be wise to do another one or two though I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 graduate555

Is consent a defence to aggravated sexual assault? Given that consent is not a defence to assault causing harm under NFOAPA 1997 and aggravated sexual assault is defined by ref this? And as R v Brown was s&m? City manuals don't seem to address it

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Question in relation to property for things above and below the land:

In relation to things above the land, the real owner has first title, followed by the finder (unless he is a trespasser which he usual is).
    However, often time they are on leasehold land. So if he is a trespasser, does the tenant or the owner of the land have the next title? I think its the tenant but I am not sure or would this depend on the terms of the lease?

In relation to things below the land. The owner has first title, followed by the owner of the land. So, if there was a tenant, the owner of the land would have better title than the tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GFE1

What are people covering / leaving out for constitutional? I'm struggling to cover everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

This is probably a really stupid question but I'm looking at my exam grid for EU and I see "fundamental rights" as a topic and I'm looking for it in my manual but to no avail... Can anyone tell me what this is???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

odwyer94 wrote: »
    annmc882 wrote: »
    12 for tort seems on low side ?

I'm doing the top 12 topics - all of the topics which have come up in 40-80% of the exams in the past 10 years - and hoping for the best! Could be wise to do another one or two though I suppose.
    I don't know tbh, there's short topics outside that % zone and would be ok to answer. Out of 22 or so topics its a lot to leave out and one could get caught out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hey everyone,

I was wondering does anyone know if you can buy booklets of past papers for each subject. All I can see on the law soc site is individual papers per year, and at €6 a pop they're a rip off.

Thanks.

BASHBAG wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering does anyone know if you can buy booklets of past papers for each subject. All I can see on the law soc site is individual papers per year, and at €6 a pop they're a rip off.

Thanks.

a lot buy them second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

odwyer94 wrote: »
    This is probably a really stupid question but I'm looking at my exam grid for EU and I see "fundamental rights" as a topic and I'm looking for it in my manual but to no avail... Can anyone tell me what this is???

It's under Principles of EU law in independent colleges manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

BASHBAG wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Thanks.

For which subjects? I have some subject papers on PDF I can send to you, if you send me your email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

Hey everyone!

What's everyone's positions with being set for the exams? I hope I am not the only one who has yet to even get through even half of the revision, nevermind learning everything off!! Will need a miracle to get me through these dreaded exams yet again!!

Thank god someone feels the same as me. I'm hoping the next few weeks of serious cramming gets me over the line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

I wonder if anyone could help me.

In relation to property and goods found above or below the land, a lot of the exam questions seem to expect you to address the legal situation on trespassing on the land but my manual doesn't even address this. Any suggestions on case law I could read up on to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

Can anyone please give me an idea of topics which are need to know in property, because I'm having a bit of difficulty separating them out.

I have Succession, Easements, Adverse Possession, Landlord & Tennant and Co-Ownership as important but the rest I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

LegalAnna wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone could help me.

In relation to property and goods found above or below the land, a lot of the exam questions seem to expect you to address the legal situation on trespassing on the land but my manual doesn't even address this. Any suggestions on case law I could read up on to find out?

Perhaps the Webb case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

As an undergraduate I never answered questions from past papers as part of my study/revision. Perhaps I should have! I'm going to start now in order to mix up my study a bit. However when people say they're answering past papers are they actually sitting down and simulating a test situation, or are they referring to their notes and materials and answering them at a relaxed pace? I've been doing the latter today and I find useful. It's a more active way of reading through my notes and I feel like I'm engaging with the material. I guess if it works for me that's all that matters. But I'm still curious about what other people's approach is.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

I just have a quick question in relation to shareholders protection.

At one point my manual states "actions these days tend to be grounded in S 205 because the substantive criteria are so broad". Am I right in saying this is a mistake (again) and the s 205 is the S 212 equivalent of the 1963 act? The way it's worded in my manual makes it sound like they're two different sections.

Thanks in advance for any help

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yes, I'd say it's another typo. It's difficult to get used to not saying s. 205 proceedings.

Is similar to the old s. 150 restriction proceedings that's are now "s. 819 (1) applications." It was easier when the numbers didn't go so high! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Yes, I'd say it's another typo. It's difficult to get used to not saying s. 205 proceedings.

Is similar to the old s. 150 restriction proceedings that's are now "s. 819 (1) applications." It was easier when the numbers didn't go so high! :eek:

Now that you say it they were doing the same re S 150 and S 819 applications!

Thanks again for your help. Company law is complex enough without these typos/errors complicating it further. You've helped big time to clear it all for me. Have to say fixed/floating charges are starting to make more sense since I've started revising them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

What case notes are people preparing for EU?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Redo91 wrote: »
    Now that you say it they were doing the same re S 150 and S 819 applications!

Thanks again for your help. Company law is complex enough without these typos/errors complicating it further. You've helped big time to clear it all for me. Have to say fixed/floating charges are starting to make more sense since I've started revising them! :)

Look anything company law wise and I'm more than happy to help. It's a real headache atm with the new act, the reforms and the section rearrangement but just post here and I'll clarify if I can.

I know what it feels like to be lost in amongst in Re Murph's restaurant and that but it's not as complicated as it looks. It's all based in equity and that's helpful to gain an understanding of the area.

Does anyone know where you can buy sample answers for EU? I've tried adverts and pretty much everywhere else and can't seem to find any! Would be grateful for any help!

Does anyone know where you can buy sample answers for EU? I've tried adverts and pretty much everywhere else and can't seem to find any! Would be grateful for any help!
    I think I've old ones if they are of any help ?
    Out of date probably

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Hi guys, so I've had a personal tragedy, which has essentially meant that I haven't done any study in the past 2 weeks and I've also had to drop the possibility of doing EU because there just wouldn't be any point.

I now have the next 2 weeks to study for equity and company, and then the following 13 or so days to study for contract.

Does anyone have any predictions they could give me for equity and company? I don't have as much time to study for either as originally planned so I am guessing I might have to cut out topics. Even just information on what came up on the october papers for both subjects would be really helpful in terms of trying to figure out what to focus on.

Thanks hugely in advance.

Hi guys, so I've had a personal tragedy, which has essentially meant that I haven't done any study in the past 2 weeks and I've also had to drop the possibility of doing EU because there just wouldn't be any point.

I now have the next 2 weeks to study for equity and company, and then the following 13 or so days to study for contract.

Does anyone have any predictions they could give me for equity and company? I don't have as much time to study for either as originally planned so I am guessing I might have to cut out topics. Even just information on what came up on the october papers for both subjects would be really helpful in terms of trying to figure out what to focus on.

Thanks hugely in advance.

I can send you exam grids for equity and company if that would be of any help?
    Pm me your email
    I'm very sorry for your situation

I can send you exam grids for equity and company if that would be of any help?
    Pm me your email
    I'm very sorry for your situation

Have you got notes for contract? exam grid ? sample answers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

Hey everyone. Its my first time doing FE1s and just wanted to ask the general opinion on whether the year & or names of judges for important cases should be learned off? I always give the year my best shot but finding it hard to remember with the amount of caselaw for all the topics.

Also, for 5 answers in 3 hours I always attempted 3 - 3.5 max pages per answer at undergrad. Would this suffice for the FE1s?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement