Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

For Property I intend on learning off ;

Items above and below the land,
    Adverse Possession,
    Co-Ownership,
    Easements,
    Mortgages,
    Systems of Land Registration,
    Family Property
    Landlord and Tenancy

Would it appear that this is cutting it a bit fine?? I am really unsure as I have heard property is the smallest but really dont want to underestimate it !

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

shellbm wrote: »
    For Property I intend on learning off ;

Items above and below the land,
    Adverse Possession,
    Co-Ownership,
    Easements,
    Mortgages,
    Systems of Land Registration,
    Family Property
    Landlord and Tenancy

Would it appear that this is cutting it a bit fine?? I am really unsure as I have heard property is the smallest but really dont want to underestimate it !

I would also include succession! It's an almost guarantee to be on 2 question...

Thanks a million, sorry I meant to add Succession in there too! Hopefully including succession that will be enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Hi guys, so I've had a personal tragedy, which has essentially meant that I haven't done any study in the past 2 weeks and I've also had to drop the possibility of doing EU because there just wouldn't be any point.

I now have the next 2 weeks to study for equity and company, and then the following 13 or so days to study for contract.

Does anyone have any predictions they could give me for equity and company? I don't have as much time to study for either as originally planned so I am guessing I might have to cut out topics. Even just information on what came up on the october papers for both subjects would be really helpful in terms of trying to figure out what to focus on.

Thanks hugely in advance.

Have you got notes for contract? exam grid ? sample answers?

Thanks a million, sorry I meant to add Succession in there too! Hopefully including succession that will be enough?

I would also take a look at the chapter of findings... it's quick and appears to be frequently asked in the last few years. 😊

• Advertisement

Hi guys, so I've had a personal tragedy, which has essentially meant that I haven't done any study in the past 2 weeks and I've also had to drop the possibility of doing EU because there just wouldn't be any point.

I now have the next 2 weeks to study for equity and company, and then the following 13 or so days to study for contract.

Does anyone have any predictions they could give me for equity and company? I don't have as much time to study for either as originally planned so I am guessing I might have to cut out topics. Even just information on what came up on the october papers for both subjects would be really helpful in terms of trying to figure out what to focus on.

Sorry I have nothing on company but have last exam questions and reports in equity if you would like me to forward them to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 graduate555

Hey everyone. Its my first time doing FE1s and just wanted to ask the general opinion on whether the year & or names of judges for important cases should be learned off? I always give the year my best shot but finding it hard to remember with the amount of caselaw for all the topics.

Also, for 5 answers in 3 hours I always attempted 3 - 3.5 max pages per answer at undergrad. Would this suffice for the FE1s?

So far I've found no need for judges and years - I have friends who swear they don't even use case names and have passed though I've noticed some examiner reports say you won't get marks for it.

An average of 3 pages should be fine - it varies from question to question but their looking for the basic legal principles rather than academic quotes and you'll know yourself if you are writing enough to answer the question. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I wonder if some kind soul could provide me with exams grids for property, contract and equity? I attempted to create my own versions over the weekend but I'm missing a number of exams papers so they ended up raising more questions than they answered.

Many thanks.

Can u DM me your email? Sorry about your circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

I just have a quick question in relation to conversion from a voluntary winding up to a compulsory winding up.

According to my manual a petitioner must be able to rely on one of the grounds from S 269 of the 2014 Act. I've looked up that section and it appears to have nothing to do with liquidation so I'm guessing it's another typo. Could anyone please tell me what the correct section is? Thanks

Edit: Also are the powers of the court in a court winding up contained in S 627? I thought that section just contained the powers of a liquidator.

Anyone also know where I can see where the priories on distribution are set out. I know S 617 applies to this but according to my manual Retention of title contracts are satisfied first and I can't see that anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

MeganC1554 wrote: »
    I would also take a look at the chapter of findings... it's quick and appears to be frequently asked in the last few years. 😊

Is findings not the same as items abve and below the land?
    The manual I have doesn't seem to have anything titled findings but it is in the examgrid I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

TheCrutzer wrote: »
    Is findings not the same as items abve and below the land?
    The manual I have doesn't seem to have anything titled findings but it is in the examgrid I have?

Yh they are the same thing.

Sorry yep findings and items above and below the land are the same thing.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Redo91 wrote: »
    I just have a quick question in relation to conversion from a voluntary winding up to a compulsory winding up.

According to my manual a petitioner must be able to rely on one of the grounds from S 269 of the 2014 Act. I've looked up that section and it appears to have nothing to do with liquidation so I'm guessing it's another typo. Could anyone please tell me what the correct section is? Thanks

S 582.
    Edit: Also are the powers of the court in a court winding up contained in S 627? I thought that section just contained the powers of a liquidator.
    S 568 et seq.
    Anyone also know where I can see where the priories on distribution are set out. I know S 617 applies to this but according to my manual Retention of title contracts are satisfied first and I can't see that anywhere.
    You have to read the whole of Chapter 7 together. It has already been amended(!) so the best I could find is here: http://revisedacts.lawreform.ie/eli/2014/act/38/revised/en/html#PART11-CHAP7

S 582.

S 568 et seq.

You have to read the whole of Chapter 7 together. It has already been amended(!) so the best I could find is here: http://revisedacts.lawreform.ie/eli/2014/act/38/revised/en/html#PART11-CHAP7

Thank you so much once again. I'd be seriously struggling without your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

My examiner's reports for October 2016 arrived in the post this morning - don't know if many of you guys have them but here are some points in case anyone is wondering.

Most exams had the same pass rate as other years and these were generally high enough - 65% Company and 77% EU mentioned specifically.

Contract examiners very disappointed with this year's answers; too many people relying on standard notes or study guides that are inaccurate or incomplete. Most people failed (or got a bare pass) because 1) failed to identify and discuss relevant issues, 2) wrote too much irrelevant material, 3) failed to mention relevant legal authority or 4) failed to apply law to facts/answered problem by writing an essay/did not address legal issues concerned.

Tort examiner wants people to be more aware of the sub-issues and answer exact question - too much rote learning and not able to apply to exact facts or question asked.

Constitutional examiner said people are relying on the books too much (much of what's on the recommended reading list is outdated) and don't have enough relevant recent caselaw.

Key to doing well is to cover as much as possible; be precise and answer the question asked, not the one you wanted to be asked. Not sufficient to mention case name - you must discuss the law and be able to apply/distinguish the cases you bring up.

S 582.

S 568 et seq.

Just in relation to the revised Act are we expected to answer questions based on that or should we just answer them based on the legislation as it was originally passed? I didn't even know the act had been amended already. Sorry for all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dd19

I'm sorry it's definitely been asked before but where do I get the companies Act to bring in? Do I just print it off from online? And I'm totally stressing about these amendments now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

dd19 wrote: »
    I'm sorry it's definitely been asked before but where do I get the companies Act to bring in? Do I just print it off from online? And I'm totally stressing about these amendments now!!

No printouts - I got mine from Amazon and I'm pretty sure you can get it from the Bloomsbury website as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 graduate555

dd19 wrote: »

You can order them from the office of public works but be warned they cost more than the exam itself! First I've heard of the amendment too!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

You can order them from the office of public works but be warned they cost more than the exam itself! First I've heard of the amendment too!!

Still cheaper than any other option I believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

annmc882 wrote: »
    Have you got notes for contract? exam grid ? sample answers?

I have my nearly all my notes done for contract from a few months back luckily, I just have to learn the material. Hoping that 13 days to go over everything will be sufficient even though I know contract is a tough one because the topics are always mixed.

I have the exam grid up to March 16, but not October.

Thanks to everyone for your replies - I sincerely appreciate it. I've been sent on the equity and contract exam grids which will hopefully help me decide what to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PerrenialFE1r

Would anyone have an up to date Contract grid? I can offer Constitutional, EU and Property grids in return. Thanks.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Redo91 wrote: »
    Just in relation to the revised Act are we expected to answer questions based on that or should we just answer them based on the legislation as it was originally passed? I didn't even know the act had been amended already. Sorry for all the questions.

I doubt those changes are examinable, it would be very unfair. My apologies for the confusion. Just go from the 2014 Act and ignore the LRC version for your purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Out of interest, those who have passed Contract in the past two sittings what other materials did you use other than the manuals? I can't help but think that the manual is structured around the core texts i.e Clark?

I doubt those changes are examinable, it would be very unfair. My apologies for the confusion. Just go from the 2014 Act and ignore the LRC version for your purposes.

No need to be sorry at all. Thanks again for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

smeal wrote: »
    Out of interest, those who have passed Contract in the past two sittings what other materials did you use other than the manuals? I can't help but think that the manual is structured around the core texts i.e Clark?

I literally only used a 2014 manual. Then again I have no idea how I passed contract :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kyliewyote7

Similarly I just used the Contract manual but I did pay a lot of attention to past papers and the examiner's comments - had a flashback of some of the comments in the exam regarding Sales of Goods Act and am convinced it got me over the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KT_94

smeal wrote: »

Material wise the manual should be sufficient. I think practicing as many problem questions as you can is essential, with reference to the reports. The issues are quite tricky to identify, so the more familiar you are with the style of question the better :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

KT_94 wrote: »
    Material wise the manual should be sufficient. I think practicing as many problem questions as you can is essential, with reference to the reports. The issues are quite tricky to identify, so the more familiar you are with the style of question the better :)

This is a question I asked earlier but unfortunately nobody replied. When practising a problem question are you doing it blind in a type of mock exam way, or do you answer the question with reference to your notes, in a sort of active revision type way? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement