Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Griffith? lol

No city actually. Hopefully whoever wrote it did it for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Anyone any idea what the pass rate is for criminal? Easily or tough marked? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hokey poke

Anyone any idea what the pass rate is for criminal? Easily or tough marked? Thanks

Apparently he's very fair. The only thing is that you should try not to leave out too much when you're studying as there can be a lot of overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Hokey poke wrote: »
    Apparently he's very fair. The only thing is that you should try not to leave out too much when you're studying as there can be a lot of overlap.

Thanks reassurance is great haha. I have most of the course covered, 90%ish i have left out thecourts descriptions thats about it. but just finding all of the legislation very tough to remember especially with all the cases.here's hoping for an okay paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TheGreaterFool

Hey all

Anyone know what the story is if one has lost the letter from Blackhall with the Candidate Number on it?

Can you just show up with ID and exam number from memory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Hey all

Anyone know what the story is if one has lost the letter from Blackhall with the Candidate Number on it?

Can you just show up with ID and exam number from memory?

Based on what someone said in an earlier post I think it's fine yeah. Don't think they've looked at mine yet.

On a separate note

R v Kelly this may intimate that it was to be used for further criminal purposes. In this case a black man committed aggravated burglary using a large screwdriver contrary to the English Theft Act 1968 (section 10(1)(b)). It was held that what must be proved is that the accused intended to use the screwdriver to affect his theft, if this was so the screwdriver was properly deemed an offensive weapon. Conviction was upheld.

More unnecessary words from the manual man

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

right i know everyone's probable focusing on criminal and eu at the moment but just wondering should i try learn anything else for equity (baring mind i hate charitable/trusteeship) i have covered:

-Injunctions(mareva, anton, departure from campus oil, qui-timet if stuck)
    -Specific Performance
    -Rectification
    -Undue Influence
    -Proprietary Estoppel
    -Constitution of Trust and Strong v Bird
    -Maxims, Quistclose, advancement, Re Osaba
    -Resulting Trusts, Joint Accounts
    -Constructive(strangers & fiduciaries)
    -Secret Trusts

Am I right in thinking no to tracing, I know its relatively short but with it coming up in the last sitting, surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aislingo55

Predictions regarding criminal procedure? With such little time left is there one area over another that should get more focus?
    Also anyone else's heart broke from trying to remember statute? Anyone know how much is required or is it enough to know the important parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

The law on charitable trusts is possibly the biggest load of horse sh*te i have ever read in law.
    You cant do this ... but hey you can! absolute crap

The law on charitable trusts is possibly the biggest load of horse sh*te i have ever read in law.

Haha hence why im not doing it!

have u an uptodate grid by any chance as i think might might be totally wrong, from looking at examiners reports it doesnt seem to be adding up :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 LaLuciole

Its one of the worst topics i've ever had the misfortune of studying...am i right in saying that the part of the 2009 Act that it is primarily focused on hasn't even been commenced?

On a different note, this is to anyone who's sat these before - how bad are the examiners where you only write a few words of 'advice' to those people you need to advise in a problem q ie. where you spend most of the q listing all of the law? or if you give the wrong advice/leave some of it out?

Hope the study is going well for everyone, only 1 week until its all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jesika

For EU is everyone leaving out judicial review? Also would it be suicidal to do equality and leave out competition law?? Is everyone doing the cases question, it's hell for me!

Milkypops wrote: »
    right i know everyone's probable focusing on criminal and eu at the moment but just wondering should i try learn anything else for equity (baring mind i hate charitable/trusteeship) i have covered:

-Injunctions(mareva, anton, departure from campus oil, qui-timet if stuck)
    -Specific Performance
    -Rectification
    -Undue Influence
    -Proprietary Estoppel
    -Constitution of Trust and Strong v Bird
    -Maxims, Quistclose, advancement, Re Osaba
    -Resulting Trusts, Joint Accounts
    -Constructive(strangers & fiduciaries)
    -Secret Trusts

Am I right in thinking no to tracing, I know its relatively short but with it coming up in the last sitting, surely not?

Do you think undue influence will come up cuz it hasn't had a break in so long??

SeanPaul69 wrote: »
    Any predictions for EU? Im doing:
    1) Institutions
    2) Sources
    3) General Principles (Fundamental rights, transparency etc)
    4) Direct effect and MS liability
    5) FMOG
    6) FOE and FTPS
    7) FMOW
    8)Citizenship
    9) Equality
    10) Prelimiary Reference Procedure

I dont wana tempt fate but surely I'll be covered with that?? seems to be that you'll pass EU so long as u can answer 5 qs

I'm doing pretty much the same and in two minds whether to focus time on comp law

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I have just finished my degree and i am thinking of doing 4 fe1s next March. I am just wondering how many months study would i need to do for them?. i will probably sit 4, criminal equity contract and property.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

I have done:

Institutions
    Sources and general principles
    Direct effect, Supremacy, MS liability
    FMG
    FOE and FTPS
    FMW
    Citizenship
    Equality
    Competition (102 and mergers)
    Preliminary Reference Procedure

and prepared the most popular case notes

Should I be covered with this list?
    I'm debating adding in Comp 101 and also either enforcement OR annulment but I'm scared I have too much to remember already

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cyclestudent

By any chance, would somebody have or be able to direct me to a comprehensive list of crimes if specific and basic intent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

By any chance, would somebody have or be able to direct me to a comprehensive list of crimes if specific and basic intent?

I think one of the fundamental criticisms of the doctrine is no.

Jesika wrote: »
    Do you think undue influence will come up cuz it hasn't had a break in so long??

That's what I'm thinking aswell....I'm nervous about this exam I'm hoping injunctions secret trusts strangers and fiduciaries rectification/so and a note question but knowing my luck none of them will show up on the day haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dpp v mcgee

Raf32 wrote: »
    I have just finished my degree and i am thinking of doing 4 fe1s next March. I am just wondering how many months study would i need to do for them?. i will probably sit 4, criminal equity contract and property.

I'm planning to do three and I have estimated about 2 months per subject at 5 hours a day 5 times a week. I think I can commit to that easily. The reason I'm only doing three is because I am factoring in the possibility of a fail and I don't see the logic in taking four at a time apart from getting them all done within a year which seems a bit rushed. I'm going to start hopefully this week with EU, Constitutional and Criminal.

• Advertisement

I'm planning to do three and I have estimated about 2 months per subject at 5 hours a day 5 times a week. I think I can commit to that easily. The reason I'm only doing three is because I am factoring in the possibility of a fail and I don't see the logic in taking four at a time apart from getting them all done within a year which seems a bit rushed. I'm going to start hopefully this week with EU, Constitutional and Criminal.

You do have to sit 4 though if its your first sitting and have to keep sitting 4 until u pass at least 3 if ye didnt know already!

You do have to sit 4 though if its your first sitting and have to keep sitting 4 until u pass at least 3 if ye didnt know already!

So I can technically just sit four only having studied for three and still pass having failed one?

So I can technically just sit four only having studied for three and still pass having failed one?

Yep all u need is to pass 3 in order to Carry them on for the next sitting

Yep all u need is to pass 3 in order to Carry them on for the next sitting

Ah well, then it just a matter of factoring in a fourth subject I'm super confident with. As my previous would indicate, I estimate 200 hours of study per subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hokey poke

Anyone from the Law Society reading this YOU'RE RUINING MY LIFE I HAVE A LAW DEGREE I'VE PASSED ALL THESE SUBJECTS ALREADY THIS IS TORTURE AND ITS A STUPID SYSTEM but please pass me

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Does anyone have the march constitutional paper and would they be able to tell me if there was a case note question what cases came up for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fairy2814

I was originally going to sit the first four of my FE1s in Oct (the very best of luck to those currently sitting the exams!!) but decided to wait until March 2014. I plan on doing on Tort, Criminal, Contract and Company as the fourth (not expecting to pass that one until I get a good look at it!)

How is everyone finding the study? Right now I'm focusing on every aspect of each subject and then I'll narrow it down after Christmas. I'd start now anyway.. before the panic sets in and you still feel comfortable with the time you've left as opposed to leaving it too late and then feeling too rushed.

Anyone doing any preparatory courses before the exams?? :pac:

And when does the timetable for next year become available?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 penny1500

I am doing the preparatory course in Contract and Tort in City Colleges...anyone else doing a preparatory course and we could swap notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crosshair12

CRM1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the march constitutional paper and would they be able to tell me if there was a case note question what cases came up for it??

I don't have a paper to hand, but there was a case note question: had to do 2 out of 3.
    IIRC, McKenna No.2 and Doherty appeared on it, not sure what other case was offered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Criminal was not my friend today! Had a total mindfart! 1 question was answered horrendously, 2 iffy and 2 decent! That's what I get for staying up all night anyway! I suppose if I was to fail one then criminal isn't the worst! Just hoping I've done enough in the others now, only one left (con) to freedom!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement