Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

There's a slightly pedantic point to be made, so I'll make it.

Under the old regime, the liquidator had to make the s. 150 application between 3-5 months after he made his s. 56 report to the ODCE. Under the new Act, the liquidator has 2 months from the date on which the Director of Corporate Enforcement has notified the liquidator that the Director has not relieved the liquidator
    Does the Liquidator have to wait for the letter before he can make a S 820 application? I know they have to send a report regarding the behaviour of directors to the ODCE within 12 months of their appointment. Just wondering is there any set period on the making of a S820 application other than the 2 months after that letter from the Director.

Edit: Sorry for all the questions. I know it probably deals with that in the manual but I don't have it to hand and I just said I'd ask when we are talking about the topic. Thanks for your help!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, the liquidator has to wait for the letter then has 2 months to bring s. 819 (not s. 820!!!) application. There is no other period. Bear in mind that the Court has inherent jurisdiction to extend statutory limitation periods notwithstanding that the 2014 Act purports to vest that power solely in the Director of Corporate Enforcement.

The liquidator always had to wait for the letter but as above, previously that created a quirk where the liquidator submitted his report and the 3-5 month period expired before the ODCE got back to them. Thus, the liquidator had to apply for the s. 56 (2) extension of time even though it was the Director's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Yeah, the liquidator has to wait for the letter then has 2 months to bring s. 819 (not s. 820!!!) application. There is no other period. Bear in mind that the Court has inherent jurisdiction to extend statutory limitation periods notwithstanding that the 2014 Act purports to vest that power solely in the Director of Corporate Enforcement.

The liquidator always had to wait for the letter but as above, previously that created a quirk where the liquidator submitted his report and the 3-5 month period expired before the ODCE got back to them. Thus, the liquidator had to apply for the s. 56 (2) extension of time even though it was the Director's fault.
    Ya sorry I got confused there. S 820 gives the liquidator power to bring a restriction order isn't it? What Section gives the court the jurisdiction to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

hi guys, is it okay to ask all the legal eagles an offpoint Question about tout tickets ? Looking for general advice as to what I should do now, if this isn't allowed, that's ok ? moderator might reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

I have spoken to a person who has done these exams before. 5 questions and 5 pages per question they wrote in 3 hours.. i can't understand how people are capable of getting so much information written down. 25 pages just seems to me to be impossible to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

thestar wrote: »
    I have spoken to a person who has done these exams before. 5 questions and 5 pages per question they wrote in 3 hours.. i can't understand how people are capable of getting so much information written down. 25 pages just seems to me to be impossible to do?

The examination booklet pages have very big margins for corrections so are pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭the great communicator

Huge margins in the booklets but I don't think I've written more than three pages for an answer yet and I've passed 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

thestar wrote: »

25 pages is also unnecessary. I'm on my last one and I've never gotten near that many pages - I've gotten pretty good marks in most as well so as long as you've got the main points of law, cases etc. you'll be fine.

Remember also some people have headings in their essays and skip a couple of lines for different sections and paragraphs and all that so it might not work out as five complete pages either.

More power to those who can write that much; I doubt my hand would ever recover :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭the great communicator

I went to that constitutional lecture in UCD but I'm not an intelligent man and I've lost my notes so here's the cases I remember.

bederev v ireland - non delegation doctrine
    waxy o'connor's ltd v ??? - strict liability
    NHV v minister for j - right to livelihood
    Gilchrist v rogers - admin of justice in public
    Doyle v ??? - solicitor present during detention (think this was 2017 so probably didn't have time to put in on exam)
    Kerins case - ??? topic the charity one

Well worth the entrance fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'm really enjoying the string of comments from people that say 3 pages is enough per answer. I love each and every one of you.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Redo91 wrote: »
    Ya sorry I got confused there. S 820 gives the liquidator power to bring a restriction order isn't it?
    Yes.
    What Section gives the court the jurisdiction to do that?

There isn't a section that gives the court jurisdiction. The High Court has original jurisdiction and can decide to extend limitation periods unless there is a provision that expressly prevents the court from doing so. If you haven't heard of that before, I suggest you look it up as it's important to know.

If I ever wrote more than 3 pages for an exam question it was either (a) because I went way over time or (b) WROTE REALLY BIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

Does anyone know of/have any predictions for Tort?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

In Company, do all ROT clauses have to be registered now or is it still 2 do (Simple and All Sums Due) and 2 don't (Proceeds of Sale and Aggregation)? Manual is saying one thing and the lecturer is saying another!

odwyer94 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of/have any predictions for Tort?

I have my thoughts but afraid to say in case I put people wrong :confused::confused::confused:

I went to that constitutional lecture in UCD but I'm not an intelligent man and I've lost my notes so here's the cases I remember.

bederev v ireland - non delegation doctrine
    waxy o'connor's ltd v ??? - strict liability
    NHV v minister for j - right to livelihood
    Gilchrist v rogers - admin of justice in public
    Doyle v ??? - solicitor present during detention (think this was 2017 so probably didn't have time to put in on exam)
    Kerins case - ??? topic the charity one

Well worth the entrance fee

As a person that hasn't a clue but should know, can I ask what is the lecture ye speak of, how often is it on and any idea where I'd get info for the next one? any lnfo or links would be really appreciated

In Company, do all ROT clauses have to be registered now or is it still 2 do (Simple and All Sums Due) and 2 don't (Proceeds of Sale and Aggregation)? Manual is saying one thing and the lecturer is saying another!

I'm going by the manual anyways! It says it all 4 in the city colleges one and it mentions it a few times so it's probably right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

annmc882 wrote: »
    As a person that hasn't a clue but should know, can I ask what is the lecture ye speak of, how often is it on and any idea where I'd get info for the next one? any lnfo or links would be really appreciated

I believe it's a lecture that's given once a year by the person that writes the constitutional exam. The line of thinking is that his 'key cases' every year are worth knowing.

annmc882 wrote: »
    I have my thoughts but afraid to say in case I put people wrong :confused::confused::confused:

Have most of my topics chosen at this stage, just wondering if I'm leaving out any obvious ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

has panic started to kick in for anyone else the last two days have loads of notes written but nothing learned.I'm also not going near my criminal and contract notes till the 13 days between my first two exams.is this a disastrous plan??

• Advertisement

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I believe it's a lecture that's given once a year by the person that writes the constitutional exam. The line of thinking is that his 'key cases' every year are worth knowing.

Aw I see, thanks very much!

its on in UCD?

20029422 wrote: »
    has panic started to kick in for anyone else the last two days have loads of notes written but nothing learned.I'm also not going near my criminal and contract notes till the 13 days between my first two exams.is this a disastrous plan??

13 days is a long time so I wouldn't worry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 binkevii

Hi, what came up in October 2016 for the Contract Law exam? Any help would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dsalmon91

Just wondering has anyone received correspondence from the Law Society outlining the exam info and candidates exam number. I know in application receipt they said these details would be sent out approximately 2 weeks before the start of the exams but I haven't received anything yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Dsalmon91 wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone received correspondence from the Law Society outlining the exam info and candidates exam number. I know in application receipt they said these details would be sent out approximately 2 weeks before the start of the exams but I haven't received anything yet.

I was just thinking that I hadn't received anything yet myself! Hopefully on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 32 binkevii

another question, what do you guys study for Contract? My plan:

Offer & Acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Capacity
    Privity
    Terms
    Exemption Clauses
    Consumer Protection
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Duress
    Discharge
    Remedies

is it enough? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

offer acceptance
    consideration
    estoppel
    intention to create
    formal requirements
    privity
    capacity
    terms
    exclusion clauses
    consumer protection & sale
    mistake
    duress
    undue influence
    uncon bargain
    discharge of obligations
    misrep
    remedies
    I know this seems like a lot but I in no way know these but I have notes on them all and after sitting the last exam and failing I'm not skipping much because you need enough topics to answer two papers really for contract

I wish I was doing property this time around... it looks so tasty compared to the ones I'm doing ... sigh

20029422 wrote: »
    offer acceptance
    consideration
    estoppel
    intention to create
    formal requirements
    privity
    capacity
    terms
    exclusion clauses
    consumer protection & sale
    mistake
    duress
    undue influence
    uncon bargain
    discharge of obligations
    misrep
    remedies
    I know this seems like a lot but I in no way know these but I have notes on them all and after sitting the last exam and failing I'm not skipping much because you need enough topics to answer two papers really for contract

The mixing of topics means your right... bring on the jitters from coffee overload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 cblack18

Constituitonal Q: Can anyone tell me if in regard to the privilege of Dail documents and utterances, is it possible to use the decision of Murphy v Dublin Corporation on draft documents? It seems to have come up in problem questions a few times and I'm not sure if you treat them the same as the final version. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement