Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

It very much depends on the question. I sat the paper last October and passed comfortably.

I think it's the big problem questions which refer to numerous issues that you need to refer to plenty of case law. For the Oct 2016 paper question 5 in relation to the transfer of shares i had about 9 cases.

Question 1, in relation to the companies act on the other hand I didn't refer to any case, i may have cited academic commentary once or twice but that was it.

I answered question 4 in relation to the crystallisation of floating charges too, and that was a much shorter answer than my other questions but I referred to about 6 cases.

Ideally i'd try to aim for 8 per question, but as I said don't panic if you can't. Some questions require them more than others. Address the issues asked, don't spit out irrelevant case law just because you know it, that would be my advice! Best of luck!

Thanks so much ! Really helpful guide !

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

I just ordered the Companies Act form the gov. publications office for €111, to do some last minute tabbing. 
    The lady on the phone said it was made up of TWO large books. The old one was only one big book, with pink or purple cover. Can anyone who has the current Act confirm that I should be getting two books? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

dinemo6 wrote: »
    I just ordered the Companies Act form the gov. publications office for €111, to do some last minute tabbing.
    The lady on the phone said it was made up of TWO large books. The old one was only one big book, with pink or purple cover. Can anyone who has the current Act confirm that I should be getting two books? :O

Yep, it's two books. One bigger one, and one slightly shorter. You would
    definitely want to have it well tabbed beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

dinemo6 wrote: »
    The lady on the phone said it was made up of TWO large books. The old one was only one big book, with pink or purple cover. Can anyone who has the current Act confirm that I should be getting two books? :O

i have one big green book I used last year aswel for company not two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I ordered all of the legislation for contract and property yesterday. I think it was about €20-25 for the four of them. Does that sound correct? I've an awful feeling that an awful lot more is going to be taken from my card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Cases from the UCD lecture on constitutional law:

Collins v Minister for Finance [2016] IESC 73

Bederev v. Ireland [2016] IESC 34

Barlow v. Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine [2016] IESC 62

Waxy O'Connors Ltd. v. Riordan [2016] IESC 30

McEnery v. Commissioner of An Garda Siochana [2016] IESC 26 & 66

Miley v. EAT (don't have the citation)

NHV v. Minister for Justice and Equality [2016] IECA 86

Gilchrist & Rogers v. Commissioner of An Garda Siochana [2016] IECA 296 (this is being appealed to the SC)

IRM v. Minister for Justice & Equality [2016] IEHC 478

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I ordered all of the legislation for contract and property yesterday. I think it was about €20-25 for the four of them. Does that sound correct? I've an awful feeling that an awful lot more is going to be taken from my card.

Sounds about right. I paid similar before.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

Hello all, I don't have a tort grid and I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what topics havnt been on a paper in a while and may be due an appearance?

I've heard nervous shock and liability for animals?

I'm going to try cover all topics but it's a pretty big course.

Any general advice from people who have passed tort before would also be amazing. It's my last exam but I failed it twice before.

Absolutely petrified of missing out on blackhall in September.

Thanks a mil

Sounds about right. I paid similar before.

Cheers! Panic over. Just in time for some other exam-related calamity.

Equity makes me sad, lads :(

Anyone any feelings on topics that might be due an appearance? I think secret trusts are due? I remember being surprised not to see it last sitting

(I'm covering pretty much everything but interested to hear anyone's predictions, I won't take anything ye say as gospel :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 angelicapickle

Does anyone have any tips how to answer the Constitutional case notes question?
    Can you only refer to the case specifically asked? Or for example can you also discuss previous case law in the lead up to that case? I'm conscious of not having enough to write if I can only refer to one case.

The question seems to be phrased broader than the case question in EU i.e. it mentions to write a 'short note' on the significance of the decision as opposed to a 'case note' in EU referring to core facts, key issues of EU law and how they were addressed by the court. Maybe i'm reading too much into it though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Cases from the UCD lecture on constitutional law:

Miley v. EAT (don't have the citation)

I thought I'd be helpful and see could I find a citation for this.

Who knew googling a case of constitutional importance would give NSFW results but there is a certain very NSFW Miley Cyrus of course. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Hello all, I don't have a tort grid and I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what topics havnt been on a paper in a while and may be due an appearance?

I've heard nervous shock and liability for animals?

I'm going to try cover all topics but it's a pretty big course.

Any general advice from people who have passed tort before would also be amazing. It's my last exam but I failed it twice before.

Absolutely petrified of missing out on blackhall in September.

Thanks a mil

Passing off , occupiers liability , trespass to land and defences are at the bottom of my list ... Everything else to play for...
    I think there will be an essay question on lim of actions or damages ... ...

annmc882 wrote: »
    Passing off , occupiers liability , trespass to land and defences are at the bottom of my list ... Everything else to play for...
    I think there will be an essay question on lim of actions or damages ... ...

Thanks Ann 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Equity makes me sad, lads :(

Anyone any feelings on topics that might be due an appearance? I think secret trusts are due? I remember being surprised not to see it last sitting

(I'm covering pretty much everything but interested to hear anyone's predictions, I won't take anything ye say as gospel :pac:)

Reckon complete constitution in some form due a run, same for resulting trusts, secret trusts and tracing, interloc or mareva injunction

Lindyloo 1 wrote: »
    Reckon complete constitution in some form due a run, same for resulting trusts, secret trusts and tracing, interloc or mareva injunction

Yes I'm hoping for that problem question on the joint bank account for resulting trusts. I've a feeling we might see the maxims too, in the question where you answer two out of three

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dsalmon91

I was just thinking of bringing in the Succession Act into my Property exam would I be mad to not bring in the LCLRA 2009 into the exam.

Had the independent revision day for tort been on yet does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Hi everyone, hope the study is going ok!
    Just a quick question re the maxims of equity, the one topic i have left out but feel i better brush up on over the weekend. Do we mention all maxims in the exam or would just discussing the more well known maxims be suffice?

ally1234 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope the study is going ok!
    Just a quick question re the maxims of equity, the one topic i have left out but feel i better brush up on over the weekend. Do we mention all maxims in the exam or would just discussing the more well known maxims be suffice?

There may or may not be a question specifically on maxims. However I've been warned by previous candidates to keep them in mind at all times.

For example you might be answering a problem question that seems clear cut, but then you remember that "delay defeats equity" etc. And that may have a bearing on your answer.

So have an understanding of them all, even if it's just the basic principle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Dsalmon91 wrote: »
    I was just thinking of bringing in the Succession Act into my Property exam would I be mad to not bring in the LCLRA 2009 into the exam.

A lot of people don't bring in the LCLRA. I just used the Succession Act and I was fine. It might be handy if you're planning on doing an essay which requires a comparison between the old and new position or a change not yet implemented, but it's not an absolute necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭the great communicator

For problems questions in the area of

Employers and occupiers liability do I apply the Glencar test and then apply the law specific to the area?

Hi. Can someone clarify this aspect of Mareva injunction for me.

What's the difference between the Air Zaire rules and the Brussel Convention rules?

I understand that Zaire applies outside of the EU and Denmark, so that an Irish court could only grant a worldwide Mareva if there was an existing cause of action.

With the Brussels Convention an Irish court can order a Mareva to take effect in an EU member state even if there's no existing cause of action.

Is that correct?

Many thanks.

Edit: I'm quite satisfied this is wrong, or a misinterpretation of some sort, so I'd urge people not take anything from it.

Update:

It seems that the Brussels Convention allows Ireland to order a Mareva order over assets in Ireland even where there is no independent cause of action in this jurisdiction, so long as proceedings have begun or are about to begin in another EU member state (except Denmark). Is that correct?

Following on from that (probably a silly question, but I need to clarify it), can a non-resident from Italy apply for a Mareva injunction over assets held in Italy, and where there is no cause of action in Ireland? So basically the proceedings have nothing to do with Ireland except that we're a member of the EU and a citizen of another member states wants to use our courts as a matter of convenience?

Clearly I'm sure of the exact interplay of this whole issue.

Many thanks.

I have a company question on unfair preferences and fraudulent dispositions.I understand that if there is no intention to prefer disposing of assets could still be a fraudulent disposition I just don't get the point of unfair preference when it would be a fraudulent disposition.is the outcome different??surely there's a reason for trying to get the disposition under unfair preferences.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

Hi guys,

Would anyone have an up to date exam grid by any chance? I know it's a bit late but its simply for the last minute panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Hi guys,
    Im studying Company, my first sitting of that paper. Re Liquidation/winding up - is there a Q on this every time?
    What areas are examined or would i need to focus on? If anyone could give me some advice, it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CP92

Hi guys,

In relation to Equity, do you think resulting trusts in regards to direct/indirect contributions is likely to appear?

Thanks! :)

ally1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Im studying Company, my first sitting of that paper. Re Liquidation/winding up - is there a Q on this every time?
    What areas are examined or would i need to focus on? If anyone could give me some advice, it would be much appreciated.

most years a question on winding up but ya never know restriction,corporate personality,directors duties.dispositions of company assets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Could someone please tell me what Section of the Companies Act 2014 permits the creation of a single member public company. My manual says it's S 1004 but I think that's wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement