Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

20029422 wrote: »
    I have a company question on unfair preferences and fraudulent dispositions.I understand that if there is no intention to prefer disposing of assets could still be a fraudulent disposition I just don't get the point of unfair preference when it would be a fraudulent disposition.is the outcome different??surely there's a reason for trying to get the disposition under unfair preferences.thanks

Here's my understanding of it, if thats any help? Please someone correct me if I am wrong!

An unfair preference under s604 would be a payment made to any creditor of the company within 6 months of the winding up, or 2 years if this creditor was a person connected to the company, with a view to giving that creditor a preference over other creditors of the company. A successful application can be seen in Station Motors v Allied Irish Bank Ltd 1985 – the controllers of the applicant company had given a personal guarantee on a large overdraft with the defendant bank (a creditor). Before the company went into liquidation, the controllers arranged for certain payments to be paid into this account and therefore mitigated risk to themselves. This constituted an unfair preference as the intention to prefer was inferred by the court.

A fraudulent disposition on the other hand is a payment made which perpetrates fraud on the company, its creditors and its members. An example of a successful application under s608 would be the case of Devey Enterprises v Devey; personal expenditure by the directors of the company which had been described in the books as business expenditure on behalf of the company constituted a fraudulent disposition.

The difference is that an unfair preference is in favour of a one creditor over another.

Again, if I have this wrong, please someone let me know haha

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Do we think charitable trusts is going to come up for this sitting? It came up in October I believe. Just wondering if its going to be one of the last things I look over the night before ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

shellbm wrote: »
    Here's my understanding of it, if thats any help? Please someone correct me if I am wrong!

An unfair preference under s604 would be a payment made to any creditor of the company within 6 months of the winding up, or 2 years if this creditor was a person connected to the company, with a view to giving that creditor a preference over other creditors of the company. A successful application can be seen in Station Motors v Allied Irish Bank Ltd 1985 – the controllers of the applicant company had given a personal guarantee on a large overdraft with the defendant bank (a creditor). Before the company went into liquidation, the controllers arranged for certain payments to be paid into this account and therefore mitigated risk to themselves. This constituted an unfair preference as the intention to prefer was inferred by the court.

A fraudulent disposition on the other hand is a payment made which perpetrates fraud on the company, its creditors and its members. An example of a successful application under s608 would be the case of Devey Enterprises v Devey; personal expenditure by the directors of the company which had been described in the books as business expenditure on behalf of the company constituted a fraudulent disposition.

The difference is that an unfair preference is in favour of a one creditor over another.

Again, if I have this wrong, please someone let me know haha

thanks a lot it just seems arnt all unfair preferences a fraud on creditors really because it's disposing of assets that might be available to them.by preferring one creditor(jumping the queue) a fraud on another creditor is a certainty anyway.also the 6 months (2 years) requirement for unfair preference is there no such requirements for fraudulent dispositions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

CP92 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

In relation to Equity, do you think resulting trusts in regards to direct/indirect contributions is likely to appear?

Thanks! :)

As in contributions to the family home? No, I don't think that has come up on the equity paper for a long long time, if ever

20029422 wrote: »
    thanks a lot it just seems arnt all unfair preferences a fraud on creditors really because it's disposing of assets that might be available to them.by preferring one creditor(jumping the queue) a fraud on another creditor is a certainty anyway.also the 6 months (2 years) requirement for unfair preference is there no such requirements for fraudulent dispositions?

I'm not sure if this sheds any further light but, according to s608 (3) on fraudulent dispositions; "This section shall NOT apply to any conveyance, mortgage, delivery of goods, payment, execution or any other act relating to property made or done by or against a company to which s604 relates."

So, if the transaction in question can be caught under s604, then take it to be an unfair preference rather than a fraudulent disposition. There is no 6 month/2 year requirement for fraudulent disposition as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Do we think charitable trusts is going to come up for this sitting? It came up in October I believe. Just wondering if its going to be one of the last things I look over the night before ya know?

It did come up in October alright. It'd be worth looking at IMO, it's straightforward enough and it comes up quite often

I'm not sure if this sheds any further light but, according to s608 (3) on fraudulent dispositions; "This section shall NOT apply to any conveyance, mortgage, delivery of goods, payment, execution or any other act relating to property made or done by or against a company to which s604 relates."

So, if the transaction in question can be caught under s604, then take it to be an unfair preference rather than a fraudulent disposition. There is no 6 month/2 year requirement for fraudulent disposition as far as I am aware.
    yes you helped a lot it does seem that fraudulent disposition was made up to catch dispositions that had no intention to prefer as they are both fraud on creditors.thanks very much.if a problem question rises I'm just going to try tackle it with unfair preference first and then if there is no intention to prefer talk about fraudulent disposition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Am I right in saying the ultra vires doctrine still applies for DACs and PLCs?

Edit: S 1012 (PLC) and S 973 (DAC) both say that any act done by either will not be called into question on the grounds of lack of capacity. However my manual says that the 2014 Act only abolished ultra vires in relation to CLS's. Is there a mistake there?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ak4321

Can anyone give guidance as to what topics they're doing / cutting for constitutional? Was looking to cover the main 12 or so, Is this madness?

From what I can see, S1182 refers to the Capacity of the CLG. However s 1183(1) states that the capacity of CLG is not limited by the CLG's constitution. Maybe have a quick glance over those sections to see if that clears anything up?

• Advertisement

ak4321 wrote: »
    Can anyone give guidance as to what topics they're doing / cutting for constitutional? Was looking to cover the main 12 or so, Is this madness?

I'm doing the following:

Constitutional Interpretation
    The President and Ag
    The courts
    The separation of powers
    Obstacles to constitutional challenge
    General principles of express/unenumerated rights
    Article 38.1/trial in due course of law
    Property rights/right to livelihood
    Good name and fair procedures
    Freedom of expression, assembly and association
    The family and education
    Right to equality

From what I can see, S1182 refers to the Capacity of the CLG. However s 1183(1) states that the capacity of CLG is not limited by the CLG's constitution. Maybe have a quick glance over those sections to see if that clears anything up?

Thanks for the reply! :) Pardon my ignorance but is a CLG the same as a CLS?

My thinking is that it still applies to plcs and DACs in the sense that a shareholder can apply to restrict a transaction that is ultra vires the company but the doctrine no longer applies to invalidate a transaction which is ultra vires if it's already completed.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

CLG = company limited by guarantee; CLS = compnay limited by share capital.

Ultra vires has not been abolished by the act in my opinion, so the manual is wrong in that regard. Certain companies maintain objects and acts outside of those objects are still UV. I wouldn't be surprised to see courts in the future read in objects to Companies' constitutions where acts done by the company that are not UV as a result of the 2014 Act ought to be as injustices on stakeholders - creditors/members/others.

The above explanation by shellbm in relation to fraudulent disposals/unfair preferences is good but it is of crucial importance that we do not yet know the import of the change in terminology in relation to preferences under the now s 604 - changed from "fraudulent" to "unfair".

It can only be that the legislature wish to remove the obligation on applicants under that section to prove dominant intention to defraud where they make a preferential payment to a creditor. As such, it may be far easier now to make an application under s. 604 as against its predecessor and if you are addressing a question on this, imo, it is vital that you show you are aware of this difference.

The wording aroudn s. 608/fraudulent disposal remains the same. Fraudulent disposals would typically be things like directors paying themselves massive fees or reducing directors loan accounts etc. The directors are usually not creditors - so it isn't a preferential payment. It's more like theft of company assets. As such, it's easier to get those applications home.

CLG = company limited by guarantee; CLS = compnay limited by share capital.

Ultra vires has not been abolished by the act in my opinion, so the manual is wrong in that regard. Certain companies maintain objects and acts outside of those objects are still UV. I wouldn't be surprised to see courts in the future read in objects to Companies' constitutions where acts done by the company that are not UV as a result of the 2014 Act ought to be as injustices on stakeholders - creditors/members/others.

The above explanation by shellbm in relation to fraudulent disposals/unfair preferences is good but it is of crucial importance that we do not yet know the import of the change in terminology in relation to preferences under the now s 604 - changed from "fraudulent" to "unfair".

It can only be that the legislature wish to remove the obligation on applicants under that section to prove dominant intention to defraud where they make a preferential payment to a creditor. As such, it may be far easier now to make an application under s. 604 as against its predecessor and if you are addressing a question on this, imo, it is vital that you show you are aware of this difference.

The wording aroudn s. 608/fraudulent disposal remains the same. Fraudulent disposals would typically be things like directors paying themselves massive fees or reducing directors loan accounts etc. The directors are usually not creditors - so it isn't a preferential payment. It's more like theft of company assets. As such, it's easier to get those applications home.
    Thanks again. So if in a problem question a transaction is carried out which is ultra vires can it still be made void ab initio or is that no longer possible as the Act states no ultra vires acts can be invalidated.

I have another quick question in relation to agency. Regulation 6 of the EC Companies Regulations and S 40 of the 2014 Act provide that where a registered person carries out an act which they are not empowered to do under the articles of association, constructive notice has been limited and the contract can be enforced. Does this nullify the exception to the rule in Turquands that actual reliance is needed. In Rama Corp Ltd V Proved Tin and General Investments the court found against the applicants where a director didn't have actual authority, but the memorandum provided that he could have if the power was delagated. They hadn't read the memorandum so they couldn't rely on the rule. As they were contracting with a registered person would the court not find in their favour now?

Edit: Yes my manual clearly states that where a DAC acts outside its objects clause, the transaction is void ab initio. This is a direct contradiction to S 973 of the Act which states that the validity of an Act done by a DAC which isn't contained in its objects will not be invalidated.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Redo91 wrote: »
    Thanks again. So if in a problem question a transaction is carried out which is ultra vires can it still be made void ab initio or is that no longer possible as the Act states no ultra vires acts can be invalidated.

I have another quick question in relation to agency. Regulation 6 of the EC Companies Regulations and S 40 of the 2014 Act provide that where a registered person carries out an act which they are not empowered to do under the articles of association, constructive notice has been limited and the contract can be enforced. Does this nullify the exception to the rule in Turquands that actual reliance is needed. In Rama Corp Ltd V Proved Tin and General Investments the court found against the applicants where a director didn't have actual authority, but the memorandum provided that he could have if the power was delagated. They hadn't read the memorandum so they couldn't rely on the rule. As they were contracting with a registered person would the court not find in their favour now?

Edit: Yes my manual clearly states that where a DAC acts outside its objects clause, the transaction is void ab initio. This is a direct contradiction to S 973 of the Act which states that the validity of an Act done by a DAC which isn't contained in its objects will not be invalidated.
    It says, "The validity of an act done by a DAC shall not be called into question on the ground of lack of capacity by reason of anything contained in the DAC's objects." There are similar provisions in relation to CLGs, PLCs and unlimited companies. This is not representative of an abolition of UV imo. Also, what the hell does "called into question" mean in a legal sense? If I'm an interested party looking to set out that the company lacked corporate capacity to do something, I'm not going to call anything into question. I'm going to set out in certain terms that the company doesn't have the capacity.

Those provisions are all in sub-section (1) of the relevant sections and are then limited by the following sub-sections:

(2) A member of an unlimited company may bring proceedings to restrain the doing of an act which, but for subsection (1), would be beyond the company's capacity but no such proceedings shall lie in respect of any act to be done in fulfilment of a legal obligation arising from a previous act of the company.

(3) Notwithstanding the enactment of subsection (1), it remains the duty of the directors to observe any limitations on their powers flowing from the unlimited company's objects and action by the directors which, but for subsection (1), would be beyond the unlimited company's capacity may only be ratified by the company by special resolution.

(4) A resolution ratifying such action shall not affect any liability incurred by the directors or any other person; if relief from any such liability is to be conferred by the unlimited company it must be agreed to separately by a special resolution of it.

Sub-section (5) appears to me to pertain to notice but it is not clear in that regard: "(5) A party to a transaction with a [relevant company type] is not bound to enquire as to whether it is permitted by the company's objects."

It suggests that a party who transacts with one of these companies is not deemed to know whether the transaction is permitted. It seems to be presumed that the company has capacity unless proceedings are mounted by members restraining the company from acting further. It also seems that acts already done cannot be reversed but why couch it in those terms? Why not say the transactions are not avoidable?

The general capacity supposedly replacing the common law rules is further limited by the lack of capacity for any company type to do things that are inconsistent with any enactment and the general law.

Of course, I am aware of the difficulty in you presenting my musings in the context of your exams... "hullaballoo on boards says UV is still alive and well, albeit fettered somewhat by providing companies with general corporate capacity and it remains unclear how or whether the doctrine will be applied under the 2014 regime."

That said, you need to be critical of what the legislature have done here. As I said, they could have just said, "The common law doctrine of ultra vires is hereby abolished" and that would be the end of it. Instead, they've used inconsistent language to describe what companies supposedly can and can't do and who can sue for relief where a company purports to act beyond the scope of its capacity.

It says, "The validity of an act done by a DAC shall not be called into question on the ground of lack of capacity by reason of anything contained in the DAC's objects." There are similar provisions in relation to CLGs, PLCs and unlimited companies. This is not representative of an abolition of UV imo. Also, what the hell does "called into question" mean in a legal sense? If I'm an interested party looking to set out that the company lacked corporate capacity to do something, I'm not going to call anything into question. I'm going to set out in certain terms that the company doesn't have the capacity.

Those provisions are all in sub-section (1) of the relevant sections and are then limited by the following sub-sections:

(2) A member of an unlimited company may bring proceedings to restrain the doing of an act which, but for subsection (1), would be beyond the company's capacity but no such proceedings shall lie in respect of any act to be done in fulfilment of a legal obligation arising from a previous act of the company.

(3) Notwithstanding the enactment of subsection (1), it remains the duty of the directors to observe any limitations on their powers flowing from the unlimited company's objects and action by the directors which, but for subsection (1), would be beyond the unlimited company's capacity may only be ratified by the company by special resolution.

(4) A resolution ratifying such action shall not affect any liability incurred by the directors or any other person; if relief from any such liability is to be conferred by the unlimited company it must be agreed to separately by a special resolution of it.

Sub-section (5) appears to me to pertain to notice but it is not clear in that regard: "(5) A party to a transaction with a [relevant company type] is not bound to enquire as to whether it is permitted by the company's objects."

It suggests that a party who transacts with one of these companies is not deemed to know whether the transaction is permitted. It seems to be presumed that the company has capacity unless proceedings are mounted by members restraining the company from acting further. It also seems that acts already done cannot be reversed but why couch it in those terms? Why not say the transactions are not avoidable?

The general capacity supposedly replacing the common law rules is further limited by the lack of capacity for any company type to do things that are inconsistent with any enactment and the general law.

Of course, I am aware of the difficulty in you presenting my musings in the context of your exams... "hullaballoo on boards says UV is still alive and well, albeit fettered somewhat by providing companies with general corporate capacity and it remains unclear how or whether the doctrine will be applied under the 2014 regime."

That said, you need to be critical of what the legislature have done here. As I said, they could have just said, "The common law doctrine of ultra vires is hereby abolished" and that would be the end of it. Instead, they've used inconsistent language to describe what companies supposedly can and can't do and who can sue for relief where a company purports to act beyond the scope of its capacity.

Ok so in lay mans terms if I was faced with a problem question in which an ultra vires transaction was carried out, would I be wrong if I said that it was ultra vires and thus set aside or does subsection (1) of the relevant sections mean that's no longer the case and I'll be wrong.

I have no problem understanding the various cases involving ultra vires. What's making me struggle a bit with it is how to approach a problem question with the 2014 Act in mind. I mean could I just ignore it and apply the ultra vires doctrine as if the 2014 Act never happened if your saying there's an argument for saying it's done nothing?

Just a few days ago I asked on here where S 8 of the 1963 Act was imposed in the 2014 Act but I was told it wasn't because ultra vires was abolished. I just want to know has the 2014 Act affected us in any way when it comes to approaching a problem question?

Sorry for bothering you with all these questions. I'm just finding this beyond confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

For the question below for equity: Question 3 Sept 2014

Do I first talk about quia timet injucton, then talk about why they might not grant one-damages being an adequate remedy and cause hardship to the defendant.
    The main question I have is do I also need to talk about Campus Oil? In the manuals i have it states that for quia timet prohibitory you use campus oil and for mandatory you use Lingham?

You have been approached by Tom, a businessman involved in providing tourist facilities in your local
    area, a popular seaside town. His main source of income stems from boat trips which he organises for
    tourists wishing to see the many dolphins based in the sea waters at the mouth of the town's bay. Many
    others in the area make their living in similar ways. Tom has learnt recently that Robert, a local man who
    used to make his living as a fisherman, plans to set up a fish farm to the left side of the bay. Having done
    some internet research into the issue, Tom is now aware that some people have concerns about the
    negative impact of fish farms on the neighbouring marine ecosystems. Of particular concern to him is the
    published postgraduate thesis of a marine biologist which argues that dolphins are particularly affected by
    the ecosystem changes brought about by fish farming and have been known, due to those changes, to
    leave the area in which the fish farm is based in search of new "homes". Tom is very worried as he fears
    that his main source of livelihood, and indeed that of others, may about to be destroyed if Robert's fish
    farm goes ahead. He is also genuinely concerned about the loss to the community if the dolphins leave
    the area as he considers that they enhance the natural environment greatly and are a source of great joy
    for the local children and adults alike. He asks you if there is anything that he can do to prevent the fish
    farm becoming operational.
    Advise Tom. Make reference in your answer to rele

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fe1 2017

Can anyone give me some guidance on what to prioritise for EU? Feel very overwhelmed by the volume, thank you.

@Redo It does make a difference. The crucial point is that it remains to be seen how extensive the difference is. I suppose there was a view that too many innocent parties were getting diddled by the operation of UV and the legislature tried to correct this to protect these people.

I would say the changes in relation to UV are extensive and I think that the current model does protect persons dealing with companies who have no notice (actual or constructive) of the company's actual capacity. Now it seems they are not obliged to take any steps to try and find out what a company's actual capacity is. It has certainly made it more difficult to void transactions but it is not yet clear how difficult.

@Redo It does make a difference. The crucial point is that it remains to be seen how extensive the difference is. I suppose there was a view that too many innocent parties were getting diddled by the operation of UV and the legislature tried to correct this to protect these people.

I would say the changes in relation to UV are extensive and I think that the current model does protect persons dealing with companies who have no notice (actual or constructive) of the company's actual capacity. Now it seems they are not obliged to take any steps to try and find out what a company's actual capacity is. It has certainly made it more difficult to void transactions but it is not yet clear how difficult.
    I am looking at this topic also at the moment.Am I right in saying that ultra vires is abolished in the sense of voiding transactions as you said to protect parties but it still exists when condemning those responsible for the ultra vires act?

• Advertisement

You can also still prevent a company entering from acting in a way that's inconsistent with its objects on a pre-emptive basis. It is now more difficult to seek to void a previous act.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Absolutely random, but can anyone tell me about parking at the red cow? Can I park at the hotel or am I better to park at the park and ride? *Please and thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

Would anyone have the independent tips on what's likely to come up for Tort pretty please?

They do a what's essential to know list of topics and then a less so but still in detail list of topics.

I have griffith sample answers for all other subjects that I can give in return

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭laurenburne

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Absolutely random, but can anyone tell me about parking at the red cow? Can I park at the hotel or am I better to park at the park and ride? *Please and thank you very much!

I have always parked at the hotel no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Can somebody tell me what topics appeared for equity in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me what topics appeared for equity in October?

1. Essay on certainty of objects and one of the other two certainties.
    2. Problem question on promissory estoppel.
    3. Essay on new model constructive trusts.
    4. Problem on charitable trusts.
    5. Essay on personal service contracts.
    6. Problem on quia timet injunctions.
    7. Note on 2/3: doctrine of satisfaction, standard of care of trustees, rectification of unilateral mistake.
    8. Problem on undue influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fe12017

Hi all,

Hope the study is going well.

What are people expecting to appear on the Equity/Trusts paper?

Do you think I be safe if I cover the following:

-the Maxims
    -Injunctions
    -Specific Performance
    -Rectification
    -Equitable Estoppel
    -Express Trusts
    -Purpose Trusts
    -Trustees
    -Tracing
    -Constructive Trusts
    -Satisfaction

I am leaving out Rescission, Secret Trusts and Resulting Trusts. Or in the alternative, what would you suggest leaving out / including? I am running very short on time.

Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Yoop wrote: »
    1. Essay on certainty of objects and one of the other two certainties.
    2. Problem question on promissory estoppel.
    3. Essay on new model constructive trusts.
    4. Problem on charitable trusts.
    5. Essay on personal service contracts.
    6. Problem on quia timet injunctions.
    7. Note on 2/3: doctrine of satisfaction, standard of care of trustees, rectification of unilateral mistake.
    8. Problem on undue influence.

Many thanks!

Don't laugh, but how reliable are Nutshells for some of the smaller topics? I'm seriously stuck for time and I was thinking that I could get a quick grasp of subjects like rectification, recission and tracing. Just in case they pop up in an answer 2 of 3 question or form part of a problem question that I'd otherwise miss out on. Better than nothing I suppose, I'm just worried about cutting too many corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Don't laugh, but how reliable are Nutshells for some of the smaller topics? I'm seriously stuck for time and I was thinking that I could get a quick grasp of subjects like rectification, recession and tracing. Just in case they pop up in an answer 2 of 3 question or form part of a problem question that I'd otherwise miss out on. Better than nothing I suppose, I'm just worried about cutting too many corners.

Didn't realise Nutshells were still on the go.

Some of them were useful way back fadó fadó, but then there was little else. You made up your own notes from lectures and text books.

Even then the UK law and cases could confuse.

Now you have all the aids from the Grinders. Very impressed with the "Night Before Notes" which would be good revision/aide memoir.

I used to write out cases on cards, to review when ever.

imho there is nothing to beat taking the time to read a judgement in full

Good luck all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement