Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Hi all
    Good luck tomorrow. May be a silly question but is my first sitting and really nervous. How do you guys control nerves? Stomach ulcer acting up.
    And are we allowed to bring water and a pencil case?
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 irishasj

Lumi77 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Good luck tomorrow. May be a silly question but is my first sitting and really nervous. How do you guys control nerves? Stomach ulcer acting up.
    And are we allowed to bring water and a pencil case?
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Thank you.

When you first go in take 3 deep breaths, really deep ones. Read the paper carefully, don't jump to thinking you know what the question is about, highlight as you read. Try and not focus on things you do not know, there will always be things you don't know. Bring ear plugs if you need them, you can bring pens and water. Even some food...but nothing that makes noise.

Just think that they are only exams, not the end of the world. Stay strict with your timing and off you go.

Best of luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭claiomh solais

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone out there. We can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

Fe1 2017 wrote: »
    Hi could anyone help me with the following please:

For EU

With regard to judicial review if the problem question is based on a
    regulation does the person have to show direct and individual concern
    or just direct? I understand that A263(4) states that in relation to a
    regulatory act you only have to show direct concern, however I am
    slightly confused.

Thanks so much

They only have to show direct concern if it is a regulation that does not require implementing measures. If it does require implementing measures then you have to show direct and individual concern.

Then the definition of an implementing measure was set out on the Telefonica case I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Am I the only lunatic that's starting new topics 12 hours before the exam? Say it ain't so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Am I the only lunatic that's starting new topics 12 hours before the exam? Say it ain't so.

I did a new topic just before my Company exam and it was the difference between passing and failing. Not lunacy at all :) Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HenryHodgson

Yeah, it's Re James. Perhaps talk about Re Gonin too. Less marks going for part b.
    Perfect cheers again. Might just have to skip that question if it comes up.[/QUOTE]

Which year/question is this do you mind me asking??

Yoop wrote: »
    I did a new topic just before my Company exam and it was the difference between passing and failing. Not lunacy at all :) Best of luck.

Cheers!

... opens the manual for the first time. "What is a trust?"

I'm cutting it really close.

So far I've got.

Injunctions (Mareva, mandatory interloc)
    Express Trusts (Three C's, Strong v Bird, DMC)
    Trusteeship
    Resulting Trusts
    Specific Performance
    Rectification
    Secret Trusts

And I need to do some revision on those!

It's crazy, but I am where I am.

I genuinely don't have time for Charities, despite how likely it is to come up. What's my next best bet? Rescission/undue influence? Estoppel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

You do have time for charities!! An hour, hour and a half and you'd have a good grasp on it

• Advertisement

You do have time for charities!! An hour, hour and a half and you'd have a good grasp on it

Really? That's encouraging! In fairness I done it as an undergrad so it should still be rattling around in there somewhere.

Thanks.

irishasj wrote: »
    When you first go in take 3 deep breaths, really deep ones. Read the paper carefully, don't jump to thinking you know what the question is about, highlight as you read. Try and not focus on things you do not know, there will always be things you don't know. Bring ear plugs if you need them, you can bring pens and water. Even some food...but nothing that makes noise.

Just think that they are only exams, not the end of the world. Stay strict with your timing and off you go.

Best of luck!!!!

Thank you means a lot. Good luck also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kyliewyote7

Best of luck to everyone starting tomorrow, I'd echo the advice above, take a deep breath, read the paper and do your utmost to answer five questions. Every examiner's report mentions it, even an attempt at a fifth can be the difference.

Once more unto the breach dear friends once more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Really? That's encouraging! In fairness I done it as an undergrad so it should still be rattling around in there somewhere.

Thanks.

Definitely. The four categories that are charitable, public benefit requirement, trusts that are political or for tourism are not charitable as per national tourism development authority v coughlan, a few cases for each category and you'd be capable of answering a question, IMO !

I'll be looking over it soon myself and I'll stick anything else I think could be worth knowing in here

Definitely. The four categories that are charitable, public benefit requirement, trusts that are political or for tourism are not charitable as per national tourism development authority v coughlan, a few cases for each category and you'd be capable of answering a question, IMO !

I'll be looking over it soon myself and I'll stick anything else I think could be worth knowing in here

I'm sold! Gonna get stuck in asap.

There's a great sense of camaraderie around here!

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Pickpocket wrote:
    Injunctions (Mareva, mandatory interloc) Express Trusts (Three C's, Strong v Bird, DMC) Trusteeship Resulting Trusts Specific Performance Rectification Secret Trusts

When you say you have them covered do you mean you would have say 3 pages on each? I cannot fathom how ye can learn off so much

thestar wrote: »
    When you say you have them covered do you mean you would have say 3 pages on each? I cannot fathom how ye can learn off so much

In truth, I don't know. What I have in my head is a decent amount of case law and (what I think is) a good understanding of the legal principles to be applied.

That's all I ever had as an undergraduate. Sometimes, depending on the question, I'd have a few pages in me. Other times it was a bare-bones answer.

My writing speed is very slow so I've always had to structure my answers to maximise my time, meaning no padding of any variety whatsoever.

My answers are basic. 58-63% is where my exams always came home at. These are my first FE1s and they could be a wake-up call for me in terms of how I go about things, but right now my way is all I know.

To summarise, don't be intimidated by what I've covered. Just do your own thing. There are those on here that have covered (or say they've covered) 10-12 topics/key sub-topics. Some people are incredible. I'm not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Company query re. Single Economic Entity for anyone generous enough to give time answering.

In Power Supermarkets v Crumlin Investments was it just Cornelscourt Shopping Centre Limited and Dunnes (Crumlin) Ltd that were treated as an SEE or was the original owner of the shopping centre also included?

Apologies, this is probably glaringly obvious but my brain is gone to sleep.

thestar wrote: »

I ve been studying 8 hours a day since November on top of work and single parent with kids and when I sat to do revision I couldn't remember most cases , so by that logic I think closer to time and shorter notes makes more sense. Either way we only have half hour per question.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

Yoop wrote: »
    Yep, that should be fine.
    BASHBAG wrote: »
    Company query re. Single Economic Entity for anyone generous enough to give time answering.

In Power Supermarkets v Crumlin Investments was it just Cornelscourt Shopping Centre Limited and Dunnes (Crumlin) Ltd that were treated as an SEE or was the original owner of the shopping centre also included?

Apologies, this is probably glaringly obvious but my brain is gone to sleep.

I had trouble figuring this one out myself, hopefully someone can enlighten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 kyliewyote7

Bashbag, I grappled with this morning - according to a nutshell, both defendants were were wholly owned subsidiaries of Dunnes group

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Just back from acupuncture with studs in my wrist because my physio is determined to keep me calm for these exams. I think I'm just a big experiment for him!

Good luck everyone. Here's hoping all the examiners go easy on us! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

are people getting up early to study?I don't feel anything I read now is going in so I'm leaving it

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Bashbag, I grappled with this morning - according to a nutshell, both defendants were were wholly owned subsidiaries of Dunnes group

Ahhhh, that would make sense.

Cheers for the reply and best of luck in the exams to ye!!!

20029422 wrote: »
    are people getting up early to study?I don't feel anything I read now is going in so I'm leaving it

Likewise trying but been at it since 6am.
    Up at 6am.
    The lists are up here at the red cow . There is over 1000 of us , more then 300 for equity

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Best of luck everyone!

20029422 wrote: »

Yeah I'm off to bed shortly and back up at 5:30. Have about an 80 minute drive to the Red Cow as well so it's gonna be one hell of a morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Lumi77 wrote: »
    I ve been studying 8 hours a day since November on top of work and single parent with kids
    Good luck

That is hardcore. Fair play. Here's hoping the hard work pays off.

Best of luck everyone.

That is hardcore. Fair play. Here's hoping the hard work pays off.

Best of luck everyone.

Thank you. Under pressure. Two years to get them all
    Good luck to you also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

Would anyone reckon its safe to leave out Receiver for company as it was on the paper last year??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement