Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Gonna ignore my own advice for just a sec and ask what did ye talk about for the trustees duties question? I worked the duty to invest and Cowan v scargill in but I hope that the question wasn't limited to duty not to make a profit ..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

Redo91 wrote: »
    Ya that's a tricky one. There's plenty of examples of cases involving subsidiaries and third parties but if it means directly between a subsidiary and holding company I can't think of any. Maybe you would be able mention transactions involving third parties in any case?

By any change is this referring to the courts lifting the corporate veil where the subsidiary appears to be acting as an agent to the holding company?

I would have cited Stone, Smith and Knight v Birmingham Corporation and the test that was applied; the court looked to whether the parent was the "head and the brains" of the sub, whether the success of the sub was due to the skill and the direction of the parent company etc. Also Fyffes v DCC and Laffoy J's decision here (case relating to insider trading).

Am I way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Gonna ignore my own advice for just a sec and ask what did ye talk about for the trustees duties question? I worked the duty to invest and Cowan v scargill in but I hope that the question wasn't limited to duty not to make a profit ..

I only addressed duty to conflict and duty not to profit
    I didn't address duty to invest at all.
    General quick adress of their duties at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

shellbm wrote: »
    Ya that's a tricky one. There's plenty of examples of cases involving subsidiaries and third parties but if it means directly between a subsidiary and holding company I can't think of any. Maybe you would be able mention transactions involving third parties in any case?

By any change is this referring to the courts lifting the corporate veil where the subsidiary appears to be acting as an agent to the holding company?

I would have cited Stone, Smith and Knight v Birmingham Corporation and the test that was applied; the court looked to whether the parent was the "head and the brains" of the sub, whether the success of the sub was due to the skill and the direction of the parent company etc. Also Fyffes v DCC and Laffoy J's decision here (case relating to insider trading).

Am I way off?

I'm probably reading it wrong but does the question refer to any change?

Is Smith Stone and Knight relating to agency and then DHN Ltd dealing with a single economic entity? I'll get those cases mixed up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

I said that it did because he was in loco parentis to her: he assumed responsibility for her care when her parents were killed. I said that because he'd discharged his obligations to the creditors that that doesn't matter and that he won't rebut the presumption of advancement

I could be wrong but I said there was a presumption of advancement due to McCabe v Ulster bank?
    He could rebut this by showing contrary intention?
    Also as the legal act has not taken place that could be used to rebut the presumption of advancement also? Tribes v tribes case?
    I could be all wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Crednav

I said Tribe v Tribe too, it's persuasive but could be accepted. He didn't actually defraud the creditors so doesn't fall under the illegality exclusion like Parkes v Parkes but since it's evidence of his intention before the transfer he can use it against the donee. This was a skeleton answer though so..

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

Hey,

Does anyone have any tips on what is coming up in EU law? Just finished equity and sitting down to study the next one! Really really behind on eu!

@mods, I made an account to share quizzes I made on sporcle for company and criminal but I can't share a link until I make five posts. Anyway around this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Would anyone have the independent tips on what's likely to come up for Tort pretty please?

They do a what's essential to know list of topics and then a less so but still in detail list of topics.

I have griffith sample answers for all other subjects that I can give in return

Just wondering if you got a response to this. Tort is so vast!

I could be wrong but I said there was a presumption of advancement due to McCabe v Ulster bank?
    He could rebut this by showing contrary intention?
    Also as the legal act has not taken place that could be used to rebut the presumption of advancement also? Tribes v tribes case?
    I could be all wrong though.

Yeah I said there was a presumption of advancement. I had tribes v tribes too just said he wouldn't rebut the presumption. But equity is discretionary and all that :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Hi guys, another question for company (I have SO much to cover for this exam!) are the 5 principles set out in La Moselle Clothing still the main authority to apply if I were to get a restriction problem question - I know the court in Re Mitek criticised the sort of box-ticking approach from that case and said all cases should be identified on their individual facts, so I'm not sure if La Moselle is as relevant anymore! Many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Well done everybody on getting through the first exam. I think I did better this time around myself so fingers crossed. Wasn't a bad paper at all.

For DMC I referred to the fact that a gift made in contemplation of suicide is not DMC - Agnew v Belfast Banking and referred to Wilkes v Allington. And just stuck in king v dubrey regarding the DMC failing as donor had sufficient time to remake the will. And referred to the 1 month left to live may fall into this remit.

In proprietary estoppel, i based on Gillett v holt decision.

Here's hoping I get the pass mark this time.. I was a bag of nerves going in and I really don't know why.

Anybody out there any predictions for EU? I'd really appreciate it.

I did the same, phew. The PE question was really like a case last year called Finnegan v Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Yea I had a feeling it was quite similar to a question last year.... do you think 5 half decent questions will get a pass?

I only saw it last night, got very lucky. I did three full questions a half a question and then bullet points so you've more of a chance than me. Once you've 5 questions you're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Hi guys, another question for company (I have SO much to cover for this exam!) are the 5 principles set out in La Moselle Clothing still the main authority to apply if I were to get a restriction problem question - I know the court in Re Mitek criticised the sort of box-ticking approach from that case and said all cases should be identified on their individual facts, so I'm not sure if La Moselle is as relevant anymore! Many thanks :)

Ya I'd still apply it. I'd also mention Re Tralee Beef and Lamb where it was said that as well as questioning whether the director complied with their duties under the Act, it should also be asked whether they have carried out their common law duties.

Is it just me that's worried about identifying what cases apply to reckless v fraudulent trading and then restriction v disqualification? Certainly with reckless v fraudulent trading in struggling to identify distinguishing features in the cases under heading. Even in my manual it has PSK Construction under both reckless and fraudulent trading. It send the 1st repondent was found guilty of both. Is thay even possible?

I think so? Here some recent examples of when restriction orders ere made:
    If dealing with a company “in crisis” from moment of appointment, Court will consider impact of same on ability of D to organise compliance with statutory obligations - Kirk v Kershaw & Ors (2016)
    Failure of Ds to maintain proper books & records here went far beyond failure to comply with technical statutory requirements. Their absence made it impossible for liq to satisfy himself of a proper basis for big payments to related entities - Taite v Connolly & Anor (2016)
    Continuing to trade after the commencement of the voluntary winding up of the company was one of the grounds for order here, although respondent didn’t show up at application - McMahon v Larkin & Anor (2016)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Quick Company query!!!

Are the main points of "the Coslett" case that a floating charge can be created without either party knowing and the effect of not registering said charge after its creation?

Or is there more to it that I am missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ferry.Man

What do people think are the main topics to focus on for EU?

I'm going for:
    Institutions
    Sources of Law
    GP
    Supremacy
    Direct Effect
    MS Liability
    Judicial Review
    Equality
    Article 101 and 102.

Anything I should leave out or include?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

Hey guys I handed up my blackstones today for eu. Wondering if anyone knows whether reg 139/2004 in relation to mergers is in there? Thanks so much!

• Advertisement

Equity:

Do we follow etridge in Ireland?
    I used the case of Ulster bank v Fitzgerald and said not for commercial relationships but was vague in my generally answer to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Equity:

I used the case of Ulster bank v Fitzgerald and said not for commercial relationships but was vague in my generally answer to it?

Yes we do
    Hogan was there and Smith Irish cases
    O' brien could have been used also

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

I'm probably reading it wrong but does the question refer to any change?

Is Smith Stone and Knight relating to agency and then DHN Ltd dealing with a single economic entity? I'll get those cases mixed up a bit.

I meant *chance* sorry. Yep, that's what I have anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Equity:

Etridge was followed in Ireland in Ulster Bank v Roche where it was held that a bank is put on inquiry where the guarantee has a non-commercial element to it. I think Roche pretty much overruled Fitzgerald in Ireland.

Etridge was followed in Ireland in Ulster Bank v Roche where it was held that a bank is put on inquiry where the guarantee has a non-commercial element to it. I think Roche pretty much overruled Fitzgerald in Ireland.

Perfect think I said Roche and fitzy both said we follow it for non commercial **** it anywya be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

Oh lads I made a total mess of my paper today, flew threw my first 3 questions but my last 2 were a disaster. I just didn't prepare the right things in detail 😞 3 more to go but so disheartened and annoyed with myself. Ugh 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 43 graduate555

monroe89 wrote: »
    Oh lads I made a total mess of my paper today, flew threw my first 3 questions but my last 2 were a disaster. I just didn't prepare the right things in detail 😞 3 more to go but so disheartened and annoyed with myself. Ugh 😢

Don't worry, in my experience 3 good and 2 meh questions is normal. I'm sure it wasn't a disaster - once you got something of relevance down and made a stab at it. Just keep the dead down for the next week or two and you'll make it alright :)

Crednav wrote: »
    I did the same, phew. The PE question was really like a case last year called Finnegan v Hand

Flipping knew it was based on a new case, past estoppel questions have been big long paragraphs with sliiightly different facts to today's one

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

Don't worry, in my experience 3 good and 2 meh questions is normal. I'm sure it wasn't a disaster - once you got something of relevance down and made a stab at it. Just keep the dead down for the next week or two and you'll make it alright :)

Thanks, appreciate the response :) I think I've been too calm all along, bound to have a bit of a meltdown at some point! Will just power through and hope the next 3 are a little more positive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 ak4321

Ya I'd still apply it. I'd also mention Re Tralee Beef and Lamb where it was said that as well as questioning whether the director complied with their duties under the Act, it should also be asked whether they have carried out their common law duties.

Is it just me that's worried about identifying what cases apply to reckless v fraudulent trading and then restriction v disqualification? Certainly with reckless v fraudulent trading in struggling to identify distinguishing features in the cases under heading. Even in my manual it has PSK Construction under both reckless and fraudulent trading. It send the 1st repondent was found guilty of both. Is thay even possible?

Not covering reckless and fraudulent, should there be any difficulty in identifying what's restrictions and disqualifications from fraudulent and reckless though? Or are characteristics of f&l completely different?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement