Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

odwyer94 wrote: »
    Redo91 wrote: »
    What questions did you do?

2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 I think. I felt so confident going into that exam and then I just went blank first and then had difficulty working out exactly what some of the questions were asking. I knew all of the theory last night and this morning I just applied it all wrongly. I think my answers for the SLP question and the Foss v Harbottle were ok but the remaining three were not, in fact I'd say two of them were diabolical and I hadn't a clue what I was talking about. Should have practised more past papers I think!
    You might have done better than you think. These exams are notoriously difficult to judge.

Ya I did both those too. Even though I had the Act I couldn't think of what sections to mention for the SLP action so just had case law. Happy with the foss v harbottle one too. Mentioned all the extra remedies, broad criteria and that you can have proceedings in camera under section 212 so derivative actions are basically obsolete.

For anyone that did question 1 on ostensible authority did you mention to the 3 exceptions to the rule in Turquands? Also I only had three cases (freeman & Lockyer, Turquand and Aib v Ardmore). Do people think that's enoiugh?

Guys I hate post mortems but.. Was Jackie liable in the directors duties question today? I haven't anything in my notes about non directors so it's kind of annoying me :P
    I just said her and the husband had to return all the earnings from the website. I didn't have any notes on that either so hope I don't lose too many marks for saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Peekaboodles

Would anyone be willing to send me on the grid for EU law? I know I had it before but I cannot find it anywhere on my laptop or emails! Thanks so much!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

One day I'll pass company, however, today was not that day!

What did people say for the restriction question on the three directors? I said the non-executive could be restricted as he didn't attend meetings and he was a solicitor so that could be taken into account. Said the sales director could be restricted as she continued to supply the customers who weren't paying so significantly contributed to the insolvency of the company. I said the MD wasn't liable as he only continued to trade for a month and wound up the company when he decided there was no immediate chance of trading out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Crednav

Quizes for larning case law and statute for criminal https://www.sporcle.com/playlists/DJDeepBradshak/criminal-fe1-study
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭20029422

I thought most people would be happy with the company paper restriction corporate personality duties Foss v harbottle unfair preference/fraudulent I thought these were the more favourable topics

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

odwyer94 wrote: »
    That did not go well...

I sat the company paper in the last sitting before the Act changed. Was reasonably well prepared but on the exam day I had the biggest brain freeze. I could see the cases in my head but they just wouldn't go on paper. I didn't even have the Acts with me to bulk up my answers. I scribbled down 5 pathetic attempts at answers with minimal to no case law to back up anything I was saying and left 45 mins early. I was so annoyed with myself that I would have to redo the paper and completely re-learn the new Acts.. I even started studying for the repeat before the results came out! Ended up getting 50 on the button so it just goes to show even though you might think the exam was a sinking ship the Examiner is obviously generous with marks so don't worry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Not sure I passed that at all.

Did the reforms question and the directors duties problem, but one of my reforms was on the codification of directors duties - only found out afterwards that the question said not to talk something you've already mentioned in the other questions :( Was looking at the front of the paper if it mentioned some sort of qualification like that, but somehow missed it in the actual question. So one out of my 5 reforms won't count.

And my restrictions question was SO vague. Just threw down all the law and cases but didn't really apply it properly at all and had no idea about the executive director. So don't know how that'll go.

Does anyone know if the focus of question 5 was purely on Foss and the Derivative action, or would you also needed information on the s. 212 action? I found it hard to know exactly what was being looked for.

The only question I think I did ok in was the separate corporate personality one tbh.

Did the reforms question and the directors duties problem, but one of my reforms was on the codification of directors duties - only found out afterwards that the question said not to talk something you've already mentioned in the other questions :( Was looking at the front of the paper if it mentioned some sort of qualification like that, but somehow missed it in the actual question. So one out of my 5 reforms won't count.

And my restrictions question was SO vague. Just threw down all the law and cases but didn't really apply it properly at all and had no idea about the executive director. So don't know how that'll go.

Does anyone know if the focus of question 5 was purely on Foss and the Derivative action, or would you also needed information on the s. 212 action? I found it hard to know exactly what was being looked for.

The only question I think I did ok in was the separate corporate personality one tbh.
    Depends what argument you took with the foss v harbottle question I'm guessing. I said derivative actions aren't very applicable any more so I mostly focused on S 212 and how it compares favourably to a derivative action.

What Section did you mention for the question on SLP. It said to mention case law and the statute but I couldn't find any sections on it! :(

• Advertisement

I didn't notice that at all I mentioned directors duties and ultra vires in other questions so I'm the same boat as you if u wrote all the restriction law down then that should be ok.it did not involve 212 just foss

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Depends what argument you took with the foss v harbottle question I'm guessing. I said derivative actions aren't very applicable any more so I mostly focused on S 212 and how it compares favourably to a derivative action.

What Section did you mention for the question on SLP. It said to mention case law and the statute but I couldn't find any sections on it! :(

Damn, I very much focused on Foss and the exceptions. Said they weren't really relevant but didn't focus on the s. 212 at all :/ I feel like it was worded poorly because I couldn't tell if it was meant to be a compare and contrast style question or if it was meant to look at one or the other. Hopefully I get some marks!

I mentioned the provisions on fraudulent and reckless trading, just some tax acts that pierce the veil, and I said health and safety legislation can sometimes be used to impose individual liability on directors. No idea if it's right but my manual had those as one of the exceptions to separate legal personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭odwyer94

smeal wrote: »
    I sat the company paper in the last sitting before the Act changed. Was reasonably well prepared but on the exam day I had the biggest brain freeze. I could see the cases in my head but they just wouldn't go on paper. I didn't even have the Acts with me to bulk up my answers. I scribbled down 5 pathetic attempts at answers with minimal to no case law to back up anything I was saying and left 45 mins early. I was so annoyed with myself that I would have to redo the paper and completely re-learn the new Acts.. I even started studying for the repeat before the results came out! Ended up getting 50 on the button so it just goes to show even though you might think the exam was a sinking ship the Examiner is obviously generous with marks so don't worry :D

That is very encouraging thank you 😊

20029422 wrote: »
    I didn't notice that at all I mentioned directors duties and ultra vires in other questions so I'm the same boat as you if u wrote all the restriction law down then that should be ok.it did not involve 212 just foss

I mainly mentioned S 212 and compared it to Foss. I mean wasn't the quote wrong to say the rule in Foss v Harbottle is still important. I thought any oppressed shareholders would use S 212 these days.

Damn, I very much focused on Foss and the exceptions. Said they weren't really relevant but didn't focus on the s. 212 at all :/ I feel like it was worded poorly because I couldn't tell if it was meant to be a compare and contrast style question or if it was meant to look at one or the other. Hopefully I get some marks!

I mentioned the provisions on fraudulent and reckless trading, just some tax acts that pierce the veil, and I said health and safety legislation can sometimes be used to impose individual liability on directors. No idea if it's right but my manual had those as one of the exceptions to separate legal personality.

Ah ya I never thought of DPP v Roseberry! Hopefully I mentioned enough cases to get the pass on that questions. Worried about the Foss v Harbottle question now if people were mostly focusing on derivative actions. I figured we are supposed to disagree with the statement and if we are then you should focus on why (ie S 212 is more effective).

I mainly mentioned S 212 and compared it to Foss. I mean wasn't the quote wrong to say the rule in Foss v Harbottle is still important. I thought any oppressed shareholders would use S 212 these days.

I took it as though 212 is dominant now exceptions to Foss are still important discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Could I suggest to all those who still have to sit papers not to spend any time having inquests on papers just done. Can drive one around the bend.

Concentrate on the papers yet to come. Keep going to the final bell.

All the mods on LD have been thru law exams, and you have our sympathy.

One of our most erudite mods Hullabolla proposes, once the current exams are over, to re-edit this thread giving each subject it's own area or sub-thread which will make references easier.

Good luck all.

btw it is possible to practise tort successfully without actually knowing all the exceptions to the exceptions to the rule in Rylands and Fletcher.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anna27

Company over us, I actually have no idea how good/bad my answers were. I just threw 5 answers down and to hell with it, we're all in the one boat where that paper was concerned!

Over a week to cram for property and contracts, I have notes prepared- am I being unrealistic that I can learn all this stuff in a short space of time??

20029422 wrote: »
    I took it as though 212 is dominant now exceptions to Foss are still important discuss

Well I guess the fact it said discuss leaves it open to interpretation. Hopefully the examiner sees it that way anyway! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

I just said her and the husband had to return all the earnings from the website. I didn't have any notes on that either so hope I don't lose too many marks for saying that.

I THINK Jackie had something to do with s227..literally mentioned it in one line. I hope we don't lose marks on that, i dont even think my manual mentioned it at all!? Ugh at least its done !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

In hindsight that is literally 4 marks, don't worry at all.

shellbm wrote: »
    I THINK Jackie had something to do with s227..literally mentioned it in one line. I hope we don't lose marks on that, i dont even think my manual mentioned it at all!? Ugh at least its done !

Ya it wasn't in my manual at all.

I really hope I don't get penalised for my Foss v Harbottle answer. I didn't agree with the statement so I focused on why S 212 was a better way to proceed then a derivative action.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

I know everyone is just finished company but any chance anyone could help me? I am doing EU and I thought I would be covered but now I don't know if I'm covered and I'm really really panicking. I am covering
    Fmw
    Citizenship
    Sources
    Direct effect and supremacy
    Fmg
    Competition law, mergers and state aid
    Prelim ref
    General principles
    Judicial review
    Please help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

LegalAnna wrote: »
    I know everyone is just finished company but any chance anyone could help me? I am doing EU and I thought I would be covered but now I don't know if I'm covered and I'm really really panicking. I am covering
    Fmw
    Citizenship
    Sources
    Direct effect and supremacy
    Fmg
    Competition law, mergers and state aid
    Prelim ref
    General principles
    Judicial review
    Please help!!

I'm doing EU tomorrow also and starting to panic as so much to condense. I am covering the same except I didn't include comp law... :/ and doing infringement procedure. I should have done state aid but I don't think I have time to now start a full new topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

MeganC1554 wrote: »
    I'm doing EU tomorrow also and starting to panic as so much to condense. I am covering the same except I didn't include comp law... :/ and doing infringement procedure. I should have done state aid but I don't think I have time to now start a full new topic.

Mod deletionThank God hopefully it'll just be a nice paper!! Or I'll be able to at least half attempt 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

MeganC1554 wrote: »
    God hopefully it'll just be a nice paper!! Or I'll be able to at least half attempt 5!

Fingers crossed we get a good paper. He might thow in a few answer a or b questions. That would be ideal. I have a feeling it's going to be a long night of cramming.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭the great communicator

The examiner is apparently really harsh aswell! God hopefully it'll just be a nice paper!! Or I'll be able to at least half attempt 5!

The pass rate is always 70% at least, there's plenty of choice on the paper and the last two exams set by the new examiner have been very fair. It's long and complicated but if you answer five questions to any extent you'll be through

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheCrutzer

God hopefully it'll just be a nice paper!! Or I'll be able to at least half attempt 5!

Mod deletion

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

The exam report for October said that anything with part a and part b will always contain choice from now (you won't have to do both parts) unless anything is stated otherwise, so there's sure to be some choice bumping up the possibilities...hopefully!

• Advertisement

does anyone know why there is a week gap I done equity and company now I've loads a time off.only wondering why it's like this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement