Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobsterlfc

Hi. Would anyone be able to advise what was examined in Oct 2013 for Equity Contract, Company or Criminal. Any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

dinemo6 wrote: »
    Just looking at the permitted legislation list for March and I noticed that it says the following for Comapny:

"The Companies Acts 1963 – 2012 to include all statutory instruments made under the Companies Acts or implementing EU Company Law Directives.
    OR
    MacCann & Courtney, Companies Acts, 1963 – 2012, Student Edition, Bloomsbury Professional."

I don't have my copy with me at the moment but I'm pretty sure the one I had for the last sitting said 1963-2009....
    I presume this won't be acceptable now?
    So will have to go buy the new one? :confused:

The 2009 edition is fine, so long as it is the STUDENT edition. This was certainly the case for the October exams just gone by so I don't see why they would change this. What you should do is email the Law Society, and when they confirm the acceptability of the 2009 Student edition, print the email off and bring it with you to the exam should any problem arise (which almost certainly will not happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Valleda2

Just wondering have the law society said what venue the fe1s taking place in? Absolutely appalled by law society's blatant disregard of fe1 candidates by changing date at such a late stage! Doing constitutional, criminal, contract and equity, considering just studying for 3 at this stage, is it possible to prepare notes and learn for all four in two months, any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JamesLaw

Hi Valleda2 (and all other interested parties),

I think it is now time that candidates put a Study Strategy into motion.
    Petitions, Emails,Calls etc are all well and good but may unfortunately prove fruitless in the end.
    What is most important is for individual candidates is to do what is best for their own exams.

I would advise that if you are sitting your last four exams and you have a traineeship waiting for you to begin in Sept '14 then by all means cram and study every waking minute you have left.

If, on the other hand you are sitting your first set of four, maybe it would be wise to plan your study to sit three. This would then leave you in a position where you will have October '14 and March '15 to spread out your work load for the remaining five exams. This would then leave you in a strong position (most definitely alleviating stress) to attain some legal work experience during the months in between exams which could ultimately lead to the most sacred "training contract".

I hope you will find this of some help.

Sympathy to all FE1 candidates giving the circumstance- but perhaps there will be a silver lining.
    This could potentially be a great discussion point in an interview or on an application form.

"please outline a time where you showed strength of mind and reserve to overcome a setback"

Rgds,

JL

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

Valleda2 wrote: »
    Just wondering have the law society said what venue the fe1s taking place in? Absolutely appalled by law society's blatant disregard of fe1 candidates by changing date at such a late stage! Doing constitutional, criminal, contract and equity, considering just studying for 3 at this stage, is it possible to prepare notes and learn for all four in two months, any advice?

red cow is the venue anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 TinyAdvocate

Just asked the law soc! Red Cow is definitely the venue - booked no so highly unlikely it will change

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pinkvibes

I just signed the petition and there are almost 350 signatures so that's good. Might as well give it one last push!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Anyone know if they're definitely taking place in the Red Cow?

They are taking place in the Red Cow..I rang and asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fe1 Petitioner

I am the FE-1 Petitioner and my advice is plan for the worst. I've had phonecalls from the Indo and journal.ie but they are reluctant to write without the Law Society's angle. We're being stonewalled. Tomorrow is the last throw of the dice and Joe Duffy is the only option I have left. I tried but alas, it wasn't enough.

Any new info, get me on FB or fe1petition@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

I am the FE-1 Petitioner and my advice is plan for the worst. I've had phonecalls from the Indo and journal.ie but they are reluctant to write without the Law Society's angle. We're being stonewalled. Tomorrow is the last throw of the dice and Joe Duffy is the only option I have left. I tried but alas, it wasn't enough.

Any new info, get me on FB or fe1petition@hotmail.com

Keep up the great work - are the newspapers simply not getting through to the law society or how are they being blocked?

Is Joe Duffy definitely giving this issue airtime tomorrow?

So close...

• Advertisement

No the RTE office was very reluctant to guarantee me anything. But I will post the Liveline numbers on the page and if 5/6 ring up with me, they'll accept it. Phrased in terms of risking hundreds of graduate jobs, it's definity Joe Duffy worthy....

All I know is I've been in touch with freelance journos, Evening Herald journos, Indo journos and people from thejournal.ie and the last word from all of them has been along the lines of "Still pursuing a comment from the Law Society. Will update you soon". I'd say they're getting the normal "These are the dates and they wont be changed" line but when they ask for more details/reasons they're just being stonewalled.

I wrote 4 emails linking the petition etc and outlining the various ways I have tried to raise the issue and got one reply- a canned answer with no reference to the 380 odd signatures.

Here's to the Law Society, aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

No the RTE office was very reluctant to guarantee me anything. But I will post the Liveline numbers on the page and if 5/6 ring up with me, they'll accept it. Phrased in terms of risking hundreds of graduate jobs, it's definity Joe Duffy worthy....

All I know is I've been in touch with freelance journos, Evening Herald journos, Indo journos and people from thejournal.ie and the last word from all of them has been along the lines of "Still pursuing a comment from the Law Society. Will update you soon". I'd say they're getting the normal "These are the dates and they wont be changed" line but when they ask for more details/reasons they're just being stonewalled.

I wrote 4 emails linking the petition etc and outlining the various ways I have tried to raise the issue and got one reply- a canned answer with no reference to the 380 odd signatures.

I hate to put a dampener on this but Joe Duffy really isn't going to make them change the dates. You're better off putting the time and effort into studying for the exams, especially since you've now 2 weeks less.

Indeed. That's why my first comment on this thread was advising to "plan for the worst". We gave it a go, now we just have to buckle down. Good luck to all of you!

"Never underestimate the power of a small group of committed people to change the world. In fact, it is the only thing that ever has"

Fair play for not going down without a fight. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

The Journal.ie have an article this morning :-) good work

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pinkvibes

Bayley1 wrote: »
    The Journal.ie have an article this morning :-) good work

Great news! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 koskinen

Hi sorry to change the subject but in anyone's experience which manuals are the best to buyand study for the fe1 exams: independent college, griffith college or city college?

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

koskinen wrote: »
    Hi sorry to change the subject but in anyone's experience which manuals are the best to buyand study for the fe1 exams: independent college, griffith college or city college?

cheers!

I've only used city and independent so I can't advise about Griffith, but between those 2 I found independent's to be much more put together-city's had a lot of spelling mistakes and I didn't really like the layout. On the other hand, I did constitutional in city and found their lecturer to be amazing so there's pros and cons for both!

thanks very much for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanmul88

I've only used city and independent so I can't advise about Griffith, but between those 2 I found independent's to be much more put together-city's had a lot of spelling mistakes and I didn't really like the layout. On the other hand, I did constitutional in city and found their lecturer to be amazing so there's pros and cons for both!

Second that all, including city constitutional lecturer. But on the other hand their manual for property is a nightmare to work from - spellings, typos, mistakes in accuracy. Have found Independent manuals to be overall a better standard.

• Advertisement

anyone have any experience how the Griffith manuals compare to the independent manuals? cheers!

Additional FE1 dates in April!! WOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JamesLaw

Fe1 Candidates,

Take a look in the Law Soc page

Additional timetable added

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Pages/News/Additional-FE-1-Exam-Dates/

well done to all who petitioned

and most importantly best of luck with the exams

JL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Has anyone been in touch with the Law soc about this? Are there two sittings? I Registered this week for march 19th sitting but obviously want to sit them in April now.

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Has anyone been in touch with the Law soc about this? Are there two sittings? I Registered this week for march 19th sitting but obviously want to sit them in April now.

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Pages/News/Additional-FE-1-Exam-Dates/

I just emailed asking to be swapped to the April sitting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Valleda2

Do ye think it could be possible to spread exams over 2 sittings? Its my first sitting! The whole thing is a bit of a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Have I taken this up wrong or is it possible to do some exams in March and then do some more in April?? I assumed it was either March or April but it doesn't say this anywhere. Can anyone shed light on this?

Great news but soooo badly organised on the law society's part. Grids are now out the window as far as rough predictions of what will come up...will the April set be marked harder? Can you do some in march and some in april? They really should cancel the March sitting...what a shambles

One of my friends called up the law society and apparently you can split your exams between the 2 sittings once you've passed 3 exams already, therefore of it's your first time sitting or you haven't passed 3 already you have to choose between march or April!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

I wonder what are the advantages of sitting in March unless you are constrained by work committments.Candidiates who sit in April will have extra time in addition to access to the March papers which can help them create another grid. Well done to those of you who campaigned for the extra time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement