Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

I'm undecided what to do as well. A lot will depend on what rules the Law Society are going to put in place, well for me anyway. I think the best thing is chose as soon as is practical else paralysis by analysis could happen. In saying that just about decided what I was doing today. Not complaining. So glad they changed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RossLynch33

Could anyone be able to shed some light on this predicament? It would be much appreciated!

Now that there are two sittings in the space of a month, what happens to predictions that we hoped would come up? The majority of us have been making our predictions for the Spring sitting (one exam) but now there are two exams and i'm thinking to myself that any predictions or grids we have made are essentially gone to the dogs? Will they be drafting a completely new paper for the April sitting or using the September paper?

I personally think having a March and April sitting is utterly ridiculous. How could the Law Society think this was a good idea? That being said, I am forever grateful for the work that was done by the majority of candidates in getting an extra three weeks study!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Someone i know said they rang them and they said if you've already paid theres no problem switching to april, just send them a quick email telling them and they'll change you over! Suppsedly Yer one said they didnt want students to think they didnt care....

Surely if you pass march and fail April or the other way around they couldn't take your pass away from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Could anyone be able to shed some light on this predicament? It would be much appreciated!

Now that there are two sittings in the space of a month, what happens to predictions that we hoped would come up? The majority of us have been making our predictions for the Spring sitting (one exam) but now there are two exams and i'm thinking to myself that any predictions or grids we have made are essentially gone to the dogs? Will they be drafting a completely new paper for the April sitting or using the September paper?

I personally think having a March and April sitting is utterly ridiculous. How could the Law Society think this was a good idea? That being said, I am forever grateful for the work that was done by the majority of candidates in getting an extra three weeks study!

Not to sound in any way smart at all, as there is always some topics that would rarely or never come up. But, I learned this the hard way, do not rely on predictions. Yes, you can get lucky, but, I found once you know 90% of the syllabus or the grids then you are usually alright.

The grids are great as they will show you what rarely comes up - these would be the only one's I would be leaving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Muddles177

Law Society said anyone sitting them for the first time or failed their first sitting can sit four in March and four in April. It seems that these are being treated as two separate sittings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Just in relation to anyone asking if they an sit one exam in the march sitting and then sit that same exam in the April sitting if they fail it.. The email I got said that the provisional results for the march sitting would be out May 9th, so I don't see how they would allow you to re-sit an exam you don't know you failed or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

For once I'm happy to say I had been wrong!

BUT having the two so close together just means I'm going to kill myself overthinking which paper would have suited me better and will one be marked easier. I know theres no point thinking it but it will wreck my head!

If they were able to put a sitting on that date in April why didn't they do that in the first place instead of moving it to earlier March? Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kildaregal

I wonder can u sit the same exam in march and April to give u a better chance of passing that subject..if not in march then in April or vice versa? They would hardly allow that..

I just called the law society and yes u can sit the same subject in march and April and they will award you whichever mark is higher. U need to send two application forms for this. I know it draws the study out longer but better chance of passing so I'm happy with this. Chops this might be of interest to u too as ur like me with just 1 left.

Kildaregal wrote: »
    I just called the law society and yes u can sit the same subject in march and April and they will award you whichever mark is higher. U need to send two application forms for this. I know it draws the study out longer but better chance of passing so I'm happy with this. Chops this might be of interest to u too as ur like me with just 1 left.

Thanks KildareLegal.

Hmm, I wonder would it be worth the €210 for two cracks at the test, and then being given whichever result is highest?

I think it probably would, I mean if you do the March exam and come out feeling miserable then you can say at least I've another go in a few weeks and then be finally done with them.

Are you gonna sit both?

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I am going to sit it in march and April. If I had more than 1 left I probably wouldn't but it might make the difference in starting in blackhall this year or next even though I've no apprenticeship yet!

And like u say if u did the march exam and weren't happy with it at least u know u have another go.
    They will make a fortune this year if a good few people sat the same exams twice..not a bad result for them economically either!

Kildaregal wrote: »
    Yeah I think I am going to sit it in march and April. If I had more than 1 left I probably wouldn't but it might make the difference in starting in blackhall this year or next even though I've no apprenticeship yet!

And like u say if u did the march exam and weren't happy with it at least u know u have another go.
    They will make a fortune this year if a good few people sat the same exams twice..not a bad result for them economically either!

I wonder how much it costs for the RedCow thought.

Yeah they will make a pretty penney if a lot decide to do exams twice.. I've a feeling a lot of people with 1-3 left will.

Out of interest what is the final exam you have left? Mine is Company, I hate it. But I have started study this week and it all looks familiar and is coming back into the head and making more sense this time.

Yeah I don't have an apprenticeship yet either, but, I am getting work experience with a chance of one (that could be bolloxology, but glad of the experience). Plus, as you say, it's better to have them all done and be out looking for an apprenticeship to go into Blackhall this year than knowing you have to wait till Sept 2015 to go in. I'd prefer to have them passed and not get a TC for this Sept tbh. They are wrecking my head at this stage.

They are totally wrecking my head also! I have contract left...yes the one everyone thinks is one of the easiest..not for me!

I've done work experience in 3 different small-medium sized firms,in the four courts and with a citizens advice centre. It's hard to know what they want. It's all about timing too I think.

But if I got the fe1s out of the way I'd be happy..more time to look for an apprenticeship then.

I haven't started studying again yet but will in the next wk or 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 happyuser123

For those studying Constitutional Law keep in mind that the examiner is giving a talk this Thursday on what were the most important cases from lat year - very important for the paper.

http://www.ucd.ie/law/professionaldevelopment/cpdarchive/constitutionallawanupdate/#d.en.157901

Also, I'm studying from abroad, so if anyone goes and could mention the names of the cases he talks about it would be much appreciated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

For those studying Constitutional Law keep in mind that the examiner is giving a talk this Thursday on what were the most important cases from lat year - very important for the paper.

http://www.ucd.ie/law/professionaldevelopment/cpdarchive/constitutionallawanupdate/#d.en.157901

Also, I'm studying from abroad, so if anyone goes and could mention the names of the cases he talks about it would be much appreciated ;)

That link you posted is for last years talk..?
    This Thursday is Jan 30th.. :confused:

I heard that talk wasn't on until later this year, nearer to the end of Feb.
    Anybody else heard anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

dinemo6 wrote: »
    That link you posted is for last years talk..?
    This Thursday is Jan 30th.. :confused:

I heard that talk wasn't on until later this year, nearer to the end of Feb.
    Anybody else heard anything about it?

i emailed there a few weeks back and talk is supposed to be end feb/early march and jst to keep looking at Website!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BarryJohnston

Hi all, particularly those sitting the Company Law paper in March/April:

Has anyone any advice on the examinability or otherwise of the changes effected by the Companies Bill, beyond a very general outline of the main changes ? My research indicates that it remains unclear when this legislation will be enacted. I am working from a combination of a manual and Courtney's text. My notes thus far have a line in each topic saying how the legislation will change things, very broadly, but I am anxious that this may be insufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 happyuser123

Oh thanks dinemo6, that's embarassing :D oops

I'll post here if I see when it is

@ BarryJohnston - I passed company in the last sitting. I think it would mainly be the broad changes. Although when answering questions in particular areas you would need to know how those changes impact the particular area - I.e. if writing an essay on ultra vires you would need to know that under the bill companies will have the same capacity as a normal person. Don't stress about it though, I think it's pretty easy to acquire the level of knowledge you would need to answer any question on it, I would say if you've done a bit of googling you probably already have all you need. From what I remember the company law review group summarise it nicely on their page

Hi all, particularly those sitting the Company Law paper in March/April:

Has anyone any advice on the examinability or otherwise of the changes effected by the Companies Bill, beyond a very general outline of the main changes ? My research indicates that it remains unclear when this legislation will be enacted. I am working from a combination of a manual and Courtney's text. My notes thus far have a line in each topic saying how the legislation will change things, very broadly, but I am anxious that this may be insufficient.

"The Companies Acts 1963 – 2012 to include all statutory instruments
    made under the Companies Acts or implementing EU Company Law
    Directives."

That's all it says for the legislation on the syllabus on the Law Society's website for Company.

Surely it's like EU and any legislation that is not yet law isn't examinable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BarryJohnston

Thanks for your replies! I think the best approach is to trust that it is not directly examinable but that knowing the key changes is necessary and sufficient. Thanks @chops018 and @happyuser123; aren't these exams just bleak, eh?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

I've heard talk about two questions that are always guaranteed to come up in Property Law. I Haven't looked at the past exam papers yet. Any Body know what they are off hand??

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

kiwi33 wrote: »
    I've heard talk about two questions that are always guaranteed to come up in Property Law. I Haven't looked at the past exam papers yet. Any Body know what they are off hand??

I'd just ignore that - the paper in October was off the wall in terms of predictions so just make sure you're covered no matter what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

kiwi33 wrote: »

There is two succession questions usually....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Anyone know what time of day the exams are on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

Midlecat wrote: »
    Anyone know what time of day the exams are on at?

All of them are 9:30-12:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Did anyone ever pass these yolks by just learning of past exam answers? Not doing it myself but just wondering..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Could someone list the topics examined in October 2013 for Company law please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Padjo1

Hi, All

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I am dyslexic but don't think that the root of my problem so I am sitting Fe1 in March again this is my forth time trying to get the 3/4, I keep getting 2/4. I think I am gong too in depth in terms of study for the two I am passing, hence snookering me for the other two. but i feel that i don't place the emphasises on them I will fail them

I know the name is the game is to get the 3/4 and not 2 good ones.

I think I am trying to remember to much case law and legislation. In college your told and drilled into us to back your point with authority. I normally try to have like at least say 8-10 cases per topic and you cover around 15 topics per subject buts while its manageable for two subject its not for four

I doubt you can pass without any authority in an answer but how much case law would you guys use in an answer is 2-3 pieces of authority cases or statute acceptable? in order to pass that particular question,

and supposes a corollary of this is how much do you guys write per question I try and write 4 pages in them booklets which are smaller then a4 is that the norm should I only be writing 3. I know its always quality over quantity but I wouldnt imagine you would be able to pass writing 5 pages for the exam 1 page per question, if you know where i am coming from

I am a bit lost on this any advice on the remit and quantity of my answers to the question on the fe1 exams is appreciated especially from those who have passed some fe1 exams already

Thanks

P.S. anyone with update Contract,Criminal,Equity and Tort Exam grids could send them to me, it would be much appreciated,

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rickety cricket

Padjo1 wrote: »
    Hi, All

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I am dyslexic but don't think that the root of my problem so I am sitting Fe1 in March again this is my forth time trying to get the 3/4, I keep getting 2/4. I think I am gong too in depth in terms of study for the two I am passing, hence snookering me for the other two. but i feel that i don't place the emphasises on them I will fail them

I know the name is the game is to get the 3/4 and not 2 good ones.

I think I am trying to remember to much case law and legislation. In college your told and drilled into us to back your point with authority. I normally try to have like at least say 8-10 cases per topic and you cover around 15 topics per subject buts while its manageable for two subject its not for four

I doubt you can pass without any authority in an answer but how much case law would you guys use in an answer is 2-3 pieces of authority cases or statute acceptable? in order to pass that particular question,

and supposes a corollary of this is how much do you guys write per question I try and write 4 pages in them booklets which are smaller then a4 is that the norm should I only be writing 3. I know its always quality over quantity but I wouldnt imagine you would be able to pass writing 5 pages for the exam 1 page per question, if you know where i am coming from

I am a bit lost on this any advice on the remit and quantity of my answers to the question on the fe1 exams is appreciated especially from those who have passed some fe1 exams already

Thanks

P.S. anyone with update Contract,Criminal,Equity and Tort Exam grids could send them to me, it would be much appreciated,

I always aimed for about 6 cases per question, depending on the question though it may require less because the point of the cases is to make sure they are relevant. If it is a problem question then make sure the case you are referencing is actually relevant to the issue at hand. I know that isn't particularly helpful as i am sure you know this but it really can't be understated as that is the point of the exam, 'can you answer the question efficiently' and unless it is identical to the problem asked then i wouldn't focus on explaining the case just the outcome as it wastes time, and the examiner doesn't need to know what happen just that you know why it is relevant to the issue at hand.

I also never really agree with amount of pages as a guide to an answer because everyone has different writing and therefore some might have 3 pages vs 5 and the 3 pages may actually be identically in content ( i personally would write 3 pages per question on average - if i got 4 i had written everything i could or if i wrote 5 i had overstayed the answer by about 10-15 mins which means i messed up!) also it depends on the question itself, essays more often than not require much more in quantity due to the fact that they are broader (obviously there are exceptions as some are really particular) but in my experience those were the answers that i felt i needed a lot of cases to answer it thoroughly. My approach was always avoid an essay where I didn't think i could answer it in 3 pages ... i might get 4 or 5 but I knew if i could get 3 pages then i had written 2/3 minimum of what i wanted to,and EVERYONE says its all about the start of your answer where the marks are made to get the pass, its the end and specific details after that separate you from a pass to high mark, because at the end of the day time management is crucial.
    I passed all 8 and of all the only time i passed without attempting a 5th was criminal where i answered 3 & 1/2, and EU where i answered 4. Make sure you get a half 5th out because even a shoddy page of an answer with 3 cases might squeeze out 5 marks which puts you over.
    I'm not sure if this helps but hopefully it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Padjo1

Thanks Rickety for response, it helps

I know what you mean, the circumstances of the question (how its asked) will always dictate different response (how you answer), and therefore the amount of authority necessary. also of course the length of an answer will be influence by subjective writing styles.

I was just looking for perhaps the reassurance that I will not automatically fail or receive bad marks by reducing the amount of authority i provide in a answer. say from 8-10 to 4-5 of course depending on the question and whether or not you can adequately answer it with 5 pieces of authority.

It's also reassuring to note that you passed two exams where you didn't finish or attempt the fifth question. it seems they are after quality rather then quantity

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement