Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rickety cricket

Padjo1 wrote: »
    Thanks Rickety for response, it helps

I know what you mean, the circumstances of the question (how its asked) will always dictate different response (how you answer), and therefore the amount of authority necessary. also of course the length of an answer will be influence by subjective writing styles.

I was just looking for perhaps the reassurance that I will not automatically fail or receive bad marks by reducing the amount of authority i provide in a answer. say from 8-10 to 4-5 of course depending on the question and whether or not you can adequately answer it with 5 pieces of authority.

It's also reassuring to note that you passed two exams where you didn't finish or attempt the fifth question. it seems they are after quality rather then quantity

thanks

I would definitely say a question can be answered, at least to the passing grade with 5 pieces of authority. there are some topics that I remember only learning 3 cases for because I didn't see a point in learning the others because those were enough to answer any potential problem question on that topic. if an essay came up in that then i just wouldn't do it.

Good luck with them, they are a painful journey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

I would definitely say a question can be answered, at least to the passing grade with 5 pieces of authority. there are some topics that I remember only learning 3 cases for because I didn't see a point in learning the others because those were enough to answer any potential problem question on that topic. if an essay came up in that then i just wouldn't do it.

Good luck with them, they are a painful journey!

I agree with you generally speaking. For a question in company law on Restriction of Directors, or Separate Corporate Personality, ultra vires do you think 5 cases/ pieces of authority per question would suffice to pass. There are a lot of cases in some questions all with different points.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

I know this is probably not a forum for making procrastinators feel better but is anyone else in the same boat and finds they wont get down to it until about three weeks before the exam? I've read the odd chapters here and there but as yet have to start actually study. Finished work end of Feb - for March sitting has anyone passed them with 3 weeks intensive study just?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Midlecat wrote: »
    I know this is probably not a forum for making procrastinators feel better but is anyone else in the same boat and finds they wont get down to it until about three weeks before the exam? I've read the odd chapters here and there but as yet have to start actually study. Finished work end of Feb - for March sitting has anyone passed them with 3 weeks intensive study just?

I know this is probably not a forum for making procrastinators feel better but is anyone else in the same boat and finds they wont get down to it until about three weeks before the exam? I've read the odd chapters here and there but as yet have to start actually study. Finished work end of Feb - for March sitting has anyone passed them with 3 weeks intensive study just?[/QUOTE]

Is this your first time sitting them? Also, are you fresh from a law degree - if so, and the material is fresh in your mind, then yes, you could do it with 3 weeks intense revision.

I learned the hard way that not having a proper study plan and getting in as much as you can will lead you to fail.

You have to know at least 85-90% of the syllabus in my opinion. You will see from the grids the very few topics that can be left out. Of course there are a few who just learn off a few topics and get lucky on the day with the right questions falling for them, but this is a big chance.

If you are working full time I know it will be extremely difficult as you can be very fatigued when you get home. But, make a plan and keep a diary, set out realistic study goals for each week and try your best to make those goals.. 3 hours two evenings a week, one or two lunchtime study sessions, one whole day at the weekend, a day at the weekend to relax - that's loads.

Have your notes, manual, sample answers and try work through the topics, prioritise using the girds what's more important than others.

For me; I go through the topic using my notes, try make a quick 5 min summary at the end of the main cases etc, then I try get through a couple of sample answers and move on.

The last 2 or 3 weeks should just be for revision really, you should know the stuff at this stage, or at least have a gist of the topics, with the final 2 weeks or so purely for drilling case names and principles into your head, with a little emphasis on how to approach different questions.

Some subjects are easily broken down: I remember when I was doing Equity for example, the topic on Specific Performance, if you went back through the sample answers or questions you would see that there really is only 3 or 4 certain types of questions that can be asked, yes the facts could be different for a problem question but the root of it is always similar. Property always has two (or at least it used to, I heard it may not have last sitting) questions on succession, obviously know this topic inside out.

Little things like this will help you break the subjects down a bit.

But above all, I can't stress any more highly that you know 85-90% of the syllabus. You really should be well into study at this stage if you're doing more than 2 subjects.

I'm doing my final one (a repeat), and I'm not happy with my study, I've been going back over it all and trying to look at q's and answers, and use the manual, but I always feel I should know and be doing more.

It is not impossible to do an intense 3 weeks and pass, but, it is highly unlikely.

Is this your first time sitting them? Also, are you fresh from a law degree - if so, and the material is fresh in your mind, then yes, you could do it with 3 weeks intense revision.

I learned the hard way that not having a proper study plan and getting in as much as you can will lead you to fail.

You have to know at least 85-90% of the syllabus in my opinion. You will see from the grids the very few topics that can be left out. Of course there are a few who just learn off a few topics and get lucky on the day with the right questions falling for them, but this is a big chance.

If you are working full time I know it will be extremely difficult as you can be very fatigued when you get home. But, make a plan and keep a diary, set out realistic study goals for each week and try your best to make those goals.. 3 hours two evenings a week, one or two lunchtime study sessions, one whole day at the weekend, a day at the weekend to relax - that's loads.

Have your notes, manual, sample answers and try work through the topics, prioritise using the girds what's more important than others.

For me; I go through the topic using my notes, try make a quick 5 min summary at the end of the main cases etc, then I try get through a couple of sample answers and move on.

The last 2 or 3 weeks should just be for revision really, you should know the stuff at this stage, or at least have a gist of the topics, with the final 2 weeks or so purely for drilling case names and principles into your head, with a little emphasis on how to approach different questions.

Some subjects are easily broken down: I remember when I was doing Equity for example, the topic on Specific Performance, if you went back through the sample answers or questions you would see that there really is only 3 or 4 certain types of questions that can be asked, yes the facts could be different for a problem question but the root of it is always similar. Property always has two (or at least it used to, I heard it may not have last sitting) questions on succession, obviously know this topic inside out.

Little things like this will help you break the subjects down a bit.

But above all, I can't stress any more highly that you know 85-90% of the syllabus. You really should be well into study at this stage if you're doing more than 2 subjects.

I'm doing my final one (a repeat), and I'm not happy with my study, I've been going back over it all and trying to look at q's and answers, and use the manual, but I always feel I should know and be doing more.

It is not impossible to do an intense 3 weeks and pass, but, it is highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the advice Chops, I tried to get into it before Christmas but found I read a bit and then left it . I am doing four, it is my first time. I finished my degree 2006 LLm 2008 so it has been ages. There is 6 weeks at present, I read all manuals once Contract Criminal Equity and Property - no questions done yet everything is mush. Do you think if I got stuck in properly I will stand a chance? I've paid etc so don't have a choice now and I am so busy in my office if I stay in at lunch the solicitor gives me more work :(

I had planned to do it in April but now stuck with March now. I'll just have to get the head down and hope for the best.

• Advertisement

Of course you can get the magic 3. As you said you will have time off before them, so get 7-8 hours in a day, with a rest day inbetween somewhere.

Prioritise your work now and try make a plan, get what you can done, if you don't then don't panic.

Try not to concentrate on every little bit for the subjects, see if citycolleges have up the Night Before Notes on their site from last sitting, they're usually similar each sitting. They give a good outline of the important areas and cases and the types of questions asked for each topic. Try work through this.

I wouldn't sit there and make notes after notes, just get down to reading the stuff and reading sample answers and some questions. Jot down the main cases etc. for 5-10 mins when finished a topic and try use the last week as just revision for drumming case names into the head and looking at question types.

It will be hard going, but just try work very hard over the next 6 weeks.

Make a plan, and try stick to it. See what you can leave out, and don't get angry if it comes up etc. Just make a good plan and focus on it.

thanks a mil. got overwhelmed looking at manuals ive ordered nutshells so might work from them. i jave sample answers so ill get stuck into them. good luck in your last one hope you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rickety cricket

I agree with you generally speaking. For a question in company law on Restriction of Directors, or Separate Corporate Personality, ultra vires do you think 5 cases/ pieces of authority per question would suffice to pass. There are a lot of cases in some questions all with different points.

I would say Company is one exam where I would be inclined to try to use at least 6 simply because there are so many cases and many times they aren't identical in their outcome (e.g. SLP's single economic entity exception or Charges over book debts). It isn't llike criminal, equity or property where they aren't crazy dense with cases.

The most important thing though is make sure you get your cases or references in that help make your point, so your tent-pole case then the next big ones, then if you want to throw in a couple just to hammer the point home.

My comments are simply my experience in getting the pass grade so if you are looking for more then obviously 8 or above is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Did anyone else buy the October 2013 examiners report from the law society website and for eu it's just a reprint of the exam paper?!

Also so annoying the real reason I got it was to try and find out why I failed equity and the report is just so short and general and unhelpful. Should've looked at past reports before I bought it cuz the examiner probably never makes any effort!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Could someone list the topics examined in October 2013 for Company law please?
    Q1: Ultra Vires - Section 8 Companies Act - Reg 6 of SI163/1973 (Essay)
    Q2: Restriction - "Honest and Responsible" Defence (Essay)
    Q3: Directors Duties - Conflicts of Interest (Problem)
    Q4: Corporate Borrowings - Retention of Title Clauses - Registration of Charges (Problem)
    Q5: General essay on how members can sanction courses of action - Resolutions/Estoppel/Meetings (Essay)
    Q6: Share Transfer - Pre-emption Clauses (Essay)
    Q7: Liquidation - Liquidators Duties - Appointment thereof - Conversion from members voluntary to official liquidation (Problem)
    Q8: Shareholder Opression (Problem)

If I was a gambling man, I'd keep a very close eye on the current goings on with Elvery's sports shops and their abandoned pre-pack receivership and subsequent examinership. Here's some background and commentary. Also the horribly nicknamed "receivership lite" process now available under the Companies (Misc Provisions) Act 2013.
    Ownleme wrote: »
    Did anyone else buy the October 2013 examiners report from the law society website and for eu it's just a reprint of the exam paper?!

Also so annoying the real reason I got it was to try and find out why I failed equity and the report is just so short and general and unhelpful. Should've looked at past reports before I bought it cuz the examiner probably never makes any effort!
    Just checked my copy of the report which I picked up from them personally this afternoon and it has be same problem. The standard of examiners reports varies wildly. Some give the bones of a model answer, criminal is usually incredibly detailed and others like constitutional are as useful as a marzipan dildo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 phundamentalz

Hi, I'm a screenwriter in New York doing research and I was wondering if anyone can answer a couple of questions and have great karma the rest of the day :)

I understand the FE-1 exams are held in spring and autumn. When do applicants hear back if they passed or not roughly speaking? 2 weeks later? 3 months later?
    Do the more prominent firms in Ireland extend offers to top-scoring students after they have received their FE-1 results? Or might there be a waiting period - i.e. they have a set time of year when all new trainees start so even if you completed your exam in April you would have to wait til September to start working at the firm because that's their new hire "intake" month?

Hi, I'm a screenwriter in New York doing research and I was wondering if anyone can answer a couple of questions and have great karma the rest of the day :)

I understand the FE-1 exams are held in spring and autumn. When do applicants hear back if they passed or not roughly speaking? 2 weeks later? 3 months later?
    Do the more prominent firms in Ireland extend offers to top-scoring students after they have received their FE-1 results? Or might there be a waiting period - i.e. they have a set time of year when all new trainees start so even if you completed your exam in April you would have to wait til September to start working at the firm because that's their new hire "intake" month?

Hi. What a cool job! wish i was doing that instead of this!

Results are 6 weeks later.

Some firms have start dates in may that mean you have to wait a whole year to start because you don't get your results in time!

Also big firms offer jobs in November so you have the offer going into this set of exams. It's conditional on you passing but your results don't matter. I'd say if you did really well it'd look good on an application form for next year but its not a guarantee.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Just checked my copy of the report which I picked up from them personally this afternoon and it has be same problem. The standard of examiners reports varies wildly. Some give the bones of a model answer, criminal is usually incredibly detailed and others like constitutional are as useful as a marzipan dildo.[/quote]

That's a joke. I emailed n they said thanks for letting us know we hadn't realised. I'm sure they already had loads of booklets made up so they're obviously just giving them out without bothering to fix them!

Got caught with those marzipan dildos before. Not impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this question real quick as I can't seem to find it anywhere! It's in relation to finding. You find a bracelet above land it's yours not the owner of the freehold that's grand but what about if u were trespassing?? Does that affect this? And has know a case that affirms the position??

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

kiwi33 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this question real quick as I can't seem to find it anywhere! It's in relation to finding. You find a bracelet above land it's yours not the owner of the freehold that's grand but what about if u were trespassing?? Does that affect this? And has know a case that affirms the position??

Glancing at old sample answers, for items above land it seems that the finder has the best title after true owner of the bracelet even if the finder is a trespasser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

kiwi33 wrote: »

Parker v British Airways [1982] is the classic common-law position. However, in Ireland, since Webb's case, the type of bracelet and particularly its age could take it into archaeological heritage territory, in which case you'd want to mention Webb and the legislation that followed in its wake. Read Wylie and/or Lyall on it, and note that they say that Webb's case was taken a signal to the legislature to deal with the subject, and it did. If it's a modern bracelet, the finder has good title until someone with better title, eg documents evidencing purchase, comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Midlecat wrote: »

You know your own ability, if you're determined to do it and really do put in the time in those few weeks it can be done. I sat some in October and was working full time, only took time off the week they started. Studied most evenings at weekends and felt like there definitely was not enough time, but, it can be done!

Just get the head down when you can and stick to a study plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Could anyone tell me what topics came up for contract in 2012 and 2013? Only have grids and exam papers to 2011!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Hi, I just saw your post in relation to property law...by any chance do you have past property exam papers that you could share? I have bits and pieces on Company and Equity if they are any use to you for a swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I have noticed that the case law in the property rights section of my Constitutional Manual tails off around 2007. There hasn't been any new textbooks since 2008. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any relevant jurisprudence in this area since 2008, particularly concerning the property market crash and the impact of NAMA on constitutional property rights. I know the Dellway case reached the Supreme Court, but that case mostly dealt with fair procedures in the context of NAMA's work. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 FE1 Candid

Hey, What lecturers would people recommend for intensive revision courses from GCD, Independent and City?
    I plan on doing Company, EU and Constitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

FE1 Candid wrote: »
    Hey, What lecturers would people recommend for intensive revision courses from GCD, Independent and City?
    I plan on doing Company, EU and Constitutional?

Personally for constitutional I think city colleges is the best. The lecturer Brendan Foley is great, really makes the course seem a lot more manageable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Racking my brains to understand why:
    Secured borrowing is an advantage to an incorporated company... A sole trader/ partnership can create a charge over their assets surely?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Racking my brains to understand why:
    Secured borrowing is an advantage to an incorporated company... A sole trader/ partnership can create a charge over their assets surely?
    Security over the shares of an incorporated company and the registration of charges in the CRO mean that they're seen as less risky to a bank. Also, the ability to have a receiver take over the company, rather than the individual assets.

Would anyone know the topics that came up in equity and contract last October by any chance?

Case 22/70 Commission v. Council ("ERTA")
    Case C-91/92 Faccini Dori
    Case T-342/99 Airtours v. Commission
    Case C-224/01 Kobler
    Case T-342/07 Ryanair Holdings v. Commission
    Case C-12/11 McDonagh v. Ryanair
    Case C-364/10 Hungary v. Slovak Republic
    Case C-34/09 Pringle v. Govt. of Ireland, Ireland and the A.G.
    Just note (and the past paper is exactly as crosshair12 has it) that that case reference for Pringle is in fact the reference for Zambrano. The correct reference for Pringle is C-370/12. I'd take a guess that there was a late change of mind here and a hasty copy-paste from the examiner.

Would anyone know the topics that came up in equity and contract last October by any chance?
    Equity:
    Q1: Mareva Injunctions (Essay) - Quote from the recent case of Eugene F Collins -v- Gharion (2013) IEHC 316
    Q2: 3 Certainties - Large Discretionary Trust (Problem)
    Q3: (1) Strong -v- Bird (2) Distribution of surplus in an unincorporated association (3) Trusts for the Relief of Poverty [Essays, do 2 of 3]
    Q4: Specific Performance - Rectification - Defences to SP [Problem]
    Q5: Constructive Trusts - New Model Constructive Trust in Ireland [Essay]
    Q6: Trustees Duties [Problem]
    Q7: Mandatory Interlocutory Injunctions [Essay] - Quote from AIB -v- Diamond (2011) IEHC 505
    Q8: Do Both (A) Resulting Trusts (Problem) and (B) Presumption of Advancement (Essay)

Contract:
    Q1: Offer-Acceptance-Consideration -> Revocation (Problem)
    Q2: Performance of an existing contract as consideration for a new one - Rule in Pinnels Case (Problem)
    Q3: Misrepresentation - Unilateral Mistake (Problem)
    Q4: Breach - Conditions -v- Warranties - Sale of Goods Act (Problem)
    Q5: (A) Capacity of a Minor to Contract OR (B) Contracts that need to be evidenced in writing (Essays)
    Q6: (A) Principles of remoteness of damage in Ireland AND (B) Difference between liquidated damages and a penalty clause (Essays)
    Q7: Undue Influence - Guarantees between family members/close friends - Recent Developments (Essay)
    Q8: (A) Agency - Types of Authority - Exceptions to Privity Rule OR (B) LRC Report on Privity of Contract (2008) (Essays)

Robbo wrote: »
    Equity:
    Q1: Mareva Injunctions (Essay) - Quote from the recent case of Eugene F Collins -v- Gharion (2013) IEHC 316
    Q3: (1) Strong -v- Bird (2) Distribution of surplus in an unincorporated association (3) Trusts for the Relief of Poverty [Essays, do 2 of 3]
    Q7: Mandatory Interlocutory Injunctions [Essay] - Quote from AIB -v- Diamond (2011) IEHC 505
    Q8: Do Both (A) Resulting Trusts (Problem) and (B) Presumption of Advancement (Essay)

Contract:
    Q2: Performance of an existing contract as consideration for a new one - Rule in Pinnels Case (Problem)
    Q5: (A) Capacity of a Minor to Contract OR (B) Contracts that need to be evidenced in writing (Essays)
    Q6: (A) Principles of remoteness of damage in Ireland AND (B) Difference between liquidated damages and a penalty clause (Essays)
    Q7: Undue Influence - Guarantees between family members/close friends - Recent Developments (Essay)
    Q8: (A) Agency - Types of Authority - Exceptions to Privity Rule OR (B) LRC Report on Privity of Contract (2008) (Essays)

Jeez thanks very much! Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

Robbo wrote: »
    Equity:

Contract:

you know for equity, question 5...what was that to do with? because I wrote about strangers and dishonest assistance and i dont think thats right and still passed it??

• Advertisement

Could someone with the reports from the October sitting gone post up what was said about Company?

Or, alternatively, tell me if they go in depth or if it's just a page.

I don't want to buy it for one exam, especially if they just outline the questions that came up and give no real feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement