Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Padjo1

Hi,

can anyone post or pm me the Criminal Law October 2013 paper just need to update my exam grid

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dietcokeg

question - don't know if this has been answered before but im doing the April sitting and as Company law is the first exam on do i have to go the red cow the day before to hand in Courtney or where? thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

chops018 wrote: »
    Could someone with the reports from the October sitting gone post up what was said about Company?

Or, alternatively, tell me if they go in depth or if it's just a page.

I don't want to buy it for one exam, especially if they just outline the questions that came up and give no real feedback.

2 and a half pages for company. Mainly just states what the topic of the question was and if it was popular or not (dunno why that's relevant?!). Some of them list cases you could have used. Probably not worth the purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Ownleme wrote: »
    2 and a half pages for company. Mainly just states what the topic of the question was and if it was popular or not (dunno why that's relevant?!). Some of them list cases you could have used. Probably not worth the purchase!

Thanks for that.

Nope, won't be bothered purchasing if it's only the topics that are listed and a few cases. I have the exam paper, so I can see the topics myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LostOutForeign

dietcokeg wrote: »
    question - don't know if this has been answered before but im doing the April sitting and as Company law is the first exam on do i have to go the red cow the day before to hand in Courtney or where? thank you!

Yeah you do, it's a pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Legalgrad

Hey, Could anyone tell me what came up in Tort in Oct? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Did any of the fe1 colleges provide Oct 2013 sample answers for comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Hi all

Need some help please. I'm really stuck for time and was wondering whether there are any of you sitting Tort? If so, could anyone please outline the topics you are covering please?? At this stage I don't even have an hour spare to figure out what to study. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ms.Cat

Does anyone know what issues/areas of competition law Q8 part (A) of the October 2013 EU exam paper engages? (The Problem Question regarding FE-1 ferries operating passenger ferrries to the Arran Islands!). There doesn't seem to be an EU examiners report available for this? Thanks a mill!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Just in relation to the EU examiners report, I rang them and they'll post out a copy if you ask.

That ferry question is one that's come up before. It's also based on this which is summarised here and here. Dissimilar conditions to equivalent transactions (and thus United Brands) and withholding essential facilities (B&I v Sealink) comes into it.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    Just in relation to the EU examiners report, I rang them and they'll post out a copy if you ask.

That ferry question is one that's come up before. It's also based on this which is summarised here and here. Dissimilar conditions to equivalent transactions (and thus United Brands) and withholding essential facilities (B&I v Sealink) comes into it.

That's great, thanks for those summaries and for the clarification re the report. So does it only engage 102 TFEU in that case? Or is 106 relevant as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Hi. Quick question. My handwriting speed is desperately slow. I've suffered in all of my undergraduate exams because of it. My average is always in the 56-59% region, but I have enough information in my head to get me into the 60s. I just run out of time. I know it's quality not quantity, and I've no doubt that people get excellent grades with the same amount of writing. But I know I'm losing out because of it. I'm thinking of going for the FE1s at the end of the year and I'm really worried that it's gonna cost me every single exam. Also, how difficult are they in comparison to undergraduate exams?

My apologies if these questions have been asked time and time again, but I'm currently entering headless chicken mode.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ms.Cat wrote: »
    That's great, thanks for those summaries and for the clarification re the report. So does it only engage 102 TFEU in that case? Or is 106 relevant as well?
    Quoth the exam report:
    Option (A) which a significant number of candidates chose to assume asked them to write a general essay on Article 102 TFEU, was focused on a particular set of factual circumstances that candidates were asked to consider and in the light of which advise FE-1 Ferries. The key issue was whether the port could be regarded as a substantial part of the common market on which the Minister as owner could be said to enjoy a dominant and whether in setting the differentiated fees the Minister had abused any such dominant position. Only some of the answers focused on addressing these key issues by reference to relevant case-law and Commission competition decisions, such as in respect of the Holyhead Port case.
    From reading his general notes in the report, I'd definitely be throwing Article 106 in there, even if you're arguing against it's non-application.

Robbo wrote: »
    Quoth the exam report:

From reading his general notes in the report, I'd definitely be throwing Article 106 in there, even if you're arguing against it's non-application.

Fab, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

For anyone who's done Tort, just wondering with regard to negligence cases - is it necessary to have the full development of the duty of care in the UK learned off really well? I have a half page summary of Donoghue, Anns test and its rejection and then the incremental approach in Caparo.

Would that be enough or should I add more cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

Hi,

I am sitting Contract ,Criminal Equity and Property in September for the first time.I want to start studying asap and will be getting Griffith manuals for the last sitting.Firstly I want to ask can I use the Law Societys syllabi for the March sitting , as an outline for what I need to know ? As in would I be better to wait for the Autumn one to go up, do they change much between sittings ?
    Also due to the extra sitting been added, what is the best way to look at grids past papers etc ??? Should I see is there a pattern, or just do my best to cover as much as possible ? Sorry if these questions seem very simplistic,its just I want to make sure I start out correctly !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 ormeau 1

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Hi all,

I have a query regarding Equity & Trusts, specifically charitable trusts and the Charities Act 2009. I have an Independent Colleges manual from the Oct 13 sitting which states that the relevant section (section 3) of the 09 Act has not yet come into force and so for exam purposes we must be able to discuss both the pre 09 case law and 09 legislation.

Am I correct in saying this is still the case? This would seem to suggest so.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR14000010

I would appreciate if somebody could confirm this.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Chiquitita

Hi,

I am sitting Contract ,Criminal Equity and Property in September for the first time.I want to start studying asap and will be getting Griffith manuals for the last sitting.Firstly I want to ask can I use the Law Societys syllabi for the March sitting , as an outline for what I need to know ? As in would I be better to wait for the Autumn one to go up, do they change much between sittings ?
    Also due to the extra sitting been added, what is the best way to look at grids past papers etc ??? Should I see is there a pattern, or just do my best to cover as much as possible ? Sorry if these questions seem very simplistic,its just I want to make sure I start out correctly !

Im planning on doing company, criminal, equity and eu in April and will also have the manuals for the October sitting. Will these be adequate or do they deviate much?
    Also where could I get my hands on the grids to check the probability of questions?
    Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FEBun

Hi

Does anyone have the list of carolan's important constitutional cases of 2013?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

To the best of my knowledge s.3 has not been enacted to date. It also states this in my Griffith Manual so very brief knowledge is required on the 2009 Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

S12b wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a query regarding Equity & Trusts, specifically charitable trusts and the Charities Act 2009. I have an Independent Colleges manual from the Oct 13 sitting which states that the relevant section (section 3) of the 09 Act has not yet come into force and so for exam purposes we must be able to discuss both the pre 09 case law and 09 legislation.

Am I correct in saying this is still the case? This would seem to suggest so.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR14000010

I would appreciate if somebody could confirm this.

Thanks

Hi I called the department and the guy I spoke to said no not as of yet. Appointment to the board was to be by last Friday. Enactment is staged so not officially in force yet but in the process of getting there. He wasn't very clear but said it would be announced when it is..so we will have to keep an eye out on the justice page I guess!
    If anyone doing a course has wisdom do share please

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

FEBun wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone have the list of carolan's important constitutional cases of 2013?

Thanks

Hi, I was talking to the assistant over the conference and she was talking to Carolyn who said the Conference will take place sometime in march so his list isn't out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Hi all, hope the study is going well!

By any chance does anyone have a grind school document for tort which gives a topic overview or tips certain areas that was circulated for the Oct sitting? I'm working from notes that are from circa 2011 and finding it vert time consuming researching each area to check have there been any updates/developments/new cases. Even if someone had a set of Night Before Notes for Tort from the last sitting that would be extremely helpful.

Also finding Friels exam reports unhelpful as they fail to point out what was required in order to successfully answer a question!

Please PM me. Have a lot of material which I am more than willing to swap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 FE1Candidate

Just looking through the night before notes on the City Colleges website - does anyone know if these are the ones for this sitting or do they need to be updated? Also, set for tort appears to be missing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Just looking through the night before notes on the City Colleges website - does anyone know if these are the ones for this sitting or do they need to be updated? Also, set for tort appears to be missing

They are usually the one's from the last sitting, they put up the new one's very, very close to the exam(s).

They never put up NBN for Tort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

If A argues that B owes him 5 grand which B disputes, can A register a charge on Bs property or does A require a court order.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Has anyone registered to sit exams both in March and April? Or has anyone registered to sit the same exam in both sittings? The deadline for registration for the April sitting is fast approaching and I'm strongly contemplating sitting my final three exams both in March and April so I can hopefully guarantee myself a place in Blackhall this Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

If A argues that B owes him 5 grand which B disputes, can A register a charge on Bs property or does A require a court order.

Not sure but I would've thought needs a court order. Don't you have to send them a letter demanding payment n then wait 3 weeks even before you get an order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭safc_pete

Hi everyone,

I've left it late sending in my application to the Law Society. When they say you need to send in a copy of your degree parchment, do they mean the one with all the Latin that I got at my graduation ceremony?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement