Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

Yes that is what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Acstars

Hi,

Does anyone have the March 2013 or October 2013 EU exam papers or know what came up on them please?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Legalgrad

Hey, Could anyone tell me what came up in Tort Oct 13 sitting please? I would be truly grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FE1 Candid

Anyone doing Intensive Revision Courses for Tort, Contract, Constitutional, Company or EU?
    I'm doing Constitutional, Company and EU in City Colleges and we could share insights from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Does anyone doing equity in March know what theyre covering? Im thinking of doing just the following;
    injunctions
    undue
    specific performance
    estoppel
    express trusts and constitution
    resulting trust
    powers and duties
    tracing
    purpose trusts

Thinking of leaving the rest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Hi all,

Does anyone have the Eoin O Carolan Top 10 cases for 2013? Do we know when the seminar for this year is happening? I thought it was always previously January?

Also, if anyone has an up to date course overview or some document that highlights what areas of constitutional are must studys - i would be very grateful if you could send on!

I have similar materials for contract, equity and criminal if anyone is in need!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hi all,

I haven't posted on this in a while regarding my status.

Firstly, I hate Company Law.... Breezed through 4 exams in October 2012 with the same study time frame. Breezed through Constitutional and EU in March 2013. Then last October failed Company miserably (managed to get Tort).

Granted, I am working two jobs now so in that respect it is much harder to get 5-6 hours a day study done when I was working part time doing the first 6.

But still, I had 2-3 months of study available before this - getting 5 to 8 hours a week done for one subject should be ok when I've attempted it before - as I've gone through 90% of the topics loads of times and been going through sets of sample answers up to 2013 too. But with 2 and a half weeks to go I am still not that confident. My confidence was shattered last set as I felt I passed Company easily and honestly couldn't see where I went wrong as I felt I had 5 strong answers.

I applied for the April sitting aswell to give me a better chance, so, at least there still is 5 ish weeks left in reality if this exam (March sitting) goes bad in 2 and a half weeks.

How is everyone else getting on?

Anyone ever have a bogey subject like this where they can't seem to get their head fully around it? I know it's only my second attempt (with the luxury of two sittings this Spring to salvage it if the first one goes bad) and I could be overreacting but with less study time this set due to two jobs, and thinking I passed last time, along with this being my final FE1 and possibly lose a year without entering Blackhall (TC permitting), I am kinda worrying.. which usually wouldn't be like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

chops018 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I haven't posted on this in a while regarding my status.

Firstly, I hate Company Law.... Breezed through 4 exams in October 2012 with the same study time frame. Breezed through Constitutional and EU in March 2013. Then last October failed Company miserably (managed to get Tort).

Granted, I am working two jobs now so in that respect it is much harder to get 5-6 hours a day study done when I was working part time doing the first 6.

But still, I had 2-3 months of study available before this - getting 5 to 8 hours a week done for one subject should be ok when I've attempted it before - as I've gone through 90% of the topics loads of times and been going through sets of sample answers up to 2013 too. But with 2 and a half weeks to go I am still not that confident. My confidence was shattered last set as I felt I passed Company easily and honestly couldn't see where I went wrong as I felt I had 5 strong answers.

I applied for the April sitting aswell to give me a better chance, so, at least there still is 5 ish weeks left in reality if this exam (March sitting) goes bad in 2 and a half weeks.

How is everyone else getting on?

Anyone ever have a bogey subject like this where they can't seem to get their head fully around it? I know it's only my second attempt (with the luxury of two sittings this Spring to salvage it if the first one goes bad) and I could be overreacting but with less study time this set due to two jobs, and thinking I passed last time, along with this being my final FE1 and possibly lose a year without entering Blackhall (TC permitting), I am kinda worrying.. which usually wouldn't be like me.

Same boat chops ive two left tort and eu and i swear EU will be the death of me. . . Im just so busy two jobs just cannot find the time to dedicate to good study. . I feel so unprepared and the risk that not gettin them could mean another yr b4 i gt to blackhall is adding to the pressure. . Cant wait for it to be over

Glinda! wrote: »
    Same boat chops ive two left tort and eu and i swear EU will be the death of me. . . Im just so busy two jobs just cannot find the time to dedicate to good study. . I feel so unprepared and the risk that not gettin them could mean another yr b4 i gt to blackhall is adding to the pressure. . Cant wait for it to be over

That's it like, I can never seem to be able to get more than two hours or so study done at a time.. which I hate because with 5-6 hour sessions and breaks in between it really helps you get your head around a subject as you can take your time with topics.

I really want to see the back of these.... even if I wasn't to go to Blackhall this year I would prefer to have them passed and have been ready to go in rather than have to do this exam again and not have been able to go in because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lisgal

That's it like, I can never seem to be able to get more than two hours or so study done at a time.. which I hate because with 5-6 hour sessions and breaks in between it really helps you get your head around a subject as you can take your time with topics.

I really want to see the back of these.... even if I wasn't to go to Blackhall this year I would prefer to have them passed and have been ready to go in rather than have to do this exam again and not have been able to go in because of that.

Chops...... you're situation is all but too familiar. I have flown through all the horrid FE1s but somehow I have not been able to manage a pass in company law. I came out the exam in October being sure that I passed it. I got it rechecked and was brought up to a useless 46%. I am working full time and havent even started studying yet for the March exam. I will buckle down in the next few days and take a few days off work to study. That said, I feel no matter how much study I do I could end up failing again! I have decided to pay for the April sitting too just in case!

Just so you know you are not alone!!!

• Advertisement

lisgal wrote: »
    Chops...... you're situation is all but too familiar. I have flown through all the horrid FE1s but somehow I have not been able to manage a pass in company law. I came out the exam in October being sure that I passed it. I got it rechecked and was brought up to a useless 46%. I am working full time and havent even started studying yet for the March exam. I will buckle down in the next few days and take a few days off work to study. That said, I feel no matter how much study I do I could end up failing again! I have decided to pay for the April sitting too just in case!

Just so you know you are not alone!!!

At these feckin things a year and a half now so I just want to see the back of them!

Yeah I felt it worth paying the €105 for April incase I come out of March feeling I did a horrible exam, or just had a bad day.

Was it just me or did you think the last set was extremely harshly marked?

I looked back through my exam and the only thing I could see was maybe that I should have added in more commentary and a slight better use of the legislation. But I thought my cases and that were ok and I touched on all the right topics it seemed. From my experience that usually gets you over the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Law Society chump

Hi all

I hope people are managing to get even a small amount of preparation completed. I'm finding it difficult myself :(

Would be very much obliged if anyone happened to have exam grids for equity and property. If I can help in anyway, please ask.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lisgal

At these feckin things a year and a half now so I just want to see the back of them!

Yeah I felt it worth paying the €105 for April incase I come out of March feeling I did a horrible exam, or just had a bad day.

Was it just me or did you think the last set was extremely harshly marked?

I looked back through my exam and the only thing I could see was maybe that I should have added in more commentary and a slight better use of the legislation. But I thought my cases and that were ok and I touched on all the right topics it seemed. From my experience that usually gets you over the mark.

Same here. I think the company paper was marked very harshly ..I know mine was! I viewed my paper and it definitely deserved a pass. I could have added an extra case or some commentary here and there but I definitely didn't deserve to fail. That said, there is nothing I can do about it now only to get studying yet again. I hope a week is enough time to study for this as I have been working like crazy.I have all my notes ready etc. I think the best thing to do is just go over everything including sample answers and then start answering exam questions. Any other suggestions are welcome!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

lisgal wrote: »
    Same here. I think the company paper was marked very harshly ..I know mine was! I viewed my paper and it definitely deserved a pass. I could have added an extra case or some commentary here and there but I definitely didn't deserve to fail. That said, there is nothing I can do about it now only to get studying yet again. I hope a week is enough time to study for this as I have been working like crazy.I have all my notes ready etc. I think the best thing to do is just go over everything including sample answers and then start answering exam questions. Any other suggestions are welcome!! :)

I didn't know you could view your paper. How does that work I.e when. What's the cost etc? Thanks

Ownleme wrote: »
    I didn't know you could view your paper. How does that work I.e when. What's the cost etc? Thanks

I don't think you can.

I assume she meant she had a look back through the exam paper she took with her from the exam?

If she's like me then she could see how she answered, as I always write down key points/ideas/case names/legislation over the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Applying for a few of the Jobsbridge Paralegal /Legal Admin jobs at present. Was shocked when I got 3 interviews straight away.

I have no experience in the field apart from my degree and half of my FE1s completed. I just feel I want to get some experience and I dont mind being the underappreciated intern for a few months.

Has anyone else tried these interns and what tips would you give for interviews/ cover letters etc?

Ps, I do regularly post about FE1 related material, so I apologise for going a tad off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Courtneys marking seems to be somewhat convoluted.

Applying for a few of the Jobsbridge Paralegal /Legal Admin jobs at present. Was shocked when I got 3 interviews straight away.

I have no experience in the field apart from my degree and half of my FE1s completed. I just feel I want to get some experience and I dont mind being the underappreciated intern for a few months.

Has anyone else tried these interns and what tips would you give for interviews/ cover letters etc?

Ps, I do regularly post about FE1 related material, so I apologise for going a tad off topic.

Hey,

That's what I am doing at the moment. I got the a position with no previous legal experience. I found that showing some good cop on and commercial awareness coupled with an interest in law got me the job. I had prepared lots of answers for potential questions such as new developments in the law etc but wasnt asked, it was quite informal.I would say it's imperative that you tailor your responses based on whether the position is exec or secretary ie big up fe1s and area of interest or just focus on typing speeds etc.

I'm finding I am getting great experience, that said I was working way over the time specified in Jobbridge including working through lunch most days, to the detriment of my FE1s. I finished up today so have 2 weeks off to study for 4 exams with everything read once only. It is a fantastic way in the door, however ensure you are not treated as a complete dogsbody. I found once I proved my abilities I got extra work and the chance to pick up invaluable experience

Hi all! Hope the study is going well!

Hoping someone can help me with a question on EU FOG. Specifically looking at Q6(i) March 2013 could someone direct me to the case that is analogous to the contents if this question? It concerns a levy on the exportation of electricity from wind turbines which is paid into a fund used to pay grants to persons living within a 1km radius for the effects it has on their lives etc.

Any help very much appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Glinda! wrote: »
    Hi all! Hope the study is going well!

Hoping someone can help me with a question on EU FOG. Specifically looking at Q6(i) March 2013 could someone direct me to the case that is analogous to the contents if this question? It concerns a levy on the exportation of electricity from wind turbines which is paid into a fund used to pay grants to persons living within a 1km radius for the effects it has on their lives etc.

Any help very much appreciated! Thanks

Is the idea like diamond workers as in doesn't matter if money being collected for good cause?

• Advertisement

Ownleme wrote: »
    Is the idea like diamond workers as in doesn't matter if money being collected for good cause?

Yes exactly but I vaguely remember there was a case very like the facts of that question i think concerned an energy of some sort also and specifically said something about compensation for locals pain and suffering. I think the County Council exempted its county for paying the charge on that basis but other counties had to. And there was discussion as to whether or not EU or MS responsible as within MS. Its wrecking my head that I cant find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 apriori

Would someone be able to tell me the topics that came up in September 2013 in Criminal and Tort?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 omgnaire

Hey guys, sitting four this March! Struggling with Company! Is anyone here doing Company in March and if so what are ye studying? any essential topics you think will come up/shouldnt leave out?! Thanks a million! Hope everyones study is goin well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

omgnaire wrote: »
    Hey guys, sitting four this March! Struggling with Company! Is anyone here doing Company in March and if so what are ye studying? any essential topics you think will come up/shouldnt leave out?! Thanks a million! Hope everyones study is goin well :-)

I forgot how much I hated Company Law in my undergrad!
    I'm making sure to cover:
    Directors Duties - focusing on what duties they owe and to whom they owe duties.
    Corporate Borrowing - Fixed v Floating Charges.
    Ultra Vires
    Separate Legal Personality.
    Shareholder Protection and Remedies.
    Winding-Up.

They're the main ones I definitely wouldn't leave out. Anyone else any tips? Haven't sat this exam before.

Really losing focus to study now, sick to death of these exams and its only my second sitting of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Looking for up to date sample answers for EU from any of the revision colleges along with a course overview document. I have up to 2013 sample answers for Tort/Constitutional and up to 2011 for the rest of subjects. PM if interested in swapping.

Also has anyone heard anything further on E O'Carolan 2013 Top 10 cases....not looking very likely that will be out before March sitting at this stage?

Hope studying going well for everyone - almost there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kildaregal

Hi, I'm just wondering if there are any recent contract law cases etc to be aware of? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Legalseagull

Hi folks,

A question for anyone who registered for the March sitting and the transferred to April - have any of ye received your new confirmation letter? I got my march one, but not the new one.

Hi folks,

A question for anyone who registered for the March sitting and the transferred to April - have any of ye received your new confirmation letter? I got my march one, but not the new one.

I applied for both March and April, got the confirmation letter ages ago for the March one and the info pack a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday the confirmation letter for April arrived. So maybe you will get yours soon.

If not I would give them a ring on Tuesday or Wednesday and enquire about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

I hate that Cheltenham is on and that its sunny......Im distracted easily enough by my own shadow let alone by sunshine and the prospect of making money!

• Advertisement

Milkypops wrote: »
    I hate that Cheltenham is on and that its sunny......Im distracted easily enough by my own shadow let alone by sunshine and the prospect of making money!

ha ha ive been in library all day with rte player on waching racing. cannot get serious until day before exams. need to sit them to get rudely awoken. I cannot focus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement