Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Unleashed

Hello!

Im planning on sitting my first set of FE1 exams in Autumn, and am hoping to get into the swing of getting started with study in the next few weeks. Yes, this is a tad premature, but I do not have a Law degree, so I feel like I need some months of slowly getting information familiar in my head.

So, I am looking at a grind or two, just to have some guidance - one on one and make sure i'm not wasting any precious sunny hours in the next few months.

Can anyone recommend any grind teachers? I've already looked through the Law Society list but want would rather a recommendation if anyone could help. Dublin, or Leinster area preferably.

Good Luck to those sitting theirs in the next few weeks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Milkypops wrote: »
    I hate that Cheltenham is on and that its sunny......Im distracted easily enough by my own shadow let alone by sunshine and the prospect of making money!

Thank god I'm not the only one!! I really need to get serious about these exams.
    On the plus side I'm up 55 euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Valleda2

Hey guys, prob a silly question but just wondering if anyone knows whether we need to learn quotes from cases for fe1 answers? I presumed not, but iv heard people say they're essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

Thank god I'm not the only one!! I really need to get serious about these exams.
    On the plus side I'm up 55 euro :)

any tips for today hahah.....but seriously any tips? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

MissM89 wrote: »
    Hi there, does anyone have sample answers or a grid for Equity? After having taken a course, I am really disappointed to be asking for this stuff but I will tell you where I DONT recommend doing fe1 lectures!!

That's awful, I can email you some if you like up to 2010/11 if that's any good? Not too many changes in Equity bar maybe Undue Influence etc. PM me if you want them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Midlecat wrote: »
    That's awful, I can email you some if you like up to 2010/11 if that's any good? Not too many changes in Equity bar maybe Undue Influence etc. PM me if you want them

Sorry to be all crazy fe1 brain but middlecat what do you mean by not too many changes and what changes are there to undue influence.? I've covered it just wondering if I'm missing out on something major? Thanks.. Sorry maybe I'm taking u up wrong. Thanks..:/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Is anybody else going absolutely insane with this study, it's driving me crazy to a point where I feel nothing is going in, so much content to cover aaahhhhhh!!!!!

Legal125 wrote: »
    Sorry to be all crazy fe1 brain but middlecat what do you mean by not too many changes and what changes are there to undue influence.? I've covered it just wondering if I'm missing out on something major? Thanks.. Sorry maybe I'm taking u up wrong. Thanks..:/

Oh no I meant since my Equity sample answers are 2010/2011 they don't include cases like Ulster Bank v Roche 2013 (UD I) or more recent cases. Or in terms of the Charities Act, they briefly refer to it only. I meant relatively little changes in comparison to other subjects.

I didn't mean to freak you out, trust me, I have yet to study Equity for Thursday week so take it with a pinch of salt.

Do you want me to send them on anyway?

Is anybody else going absolutely insane with this study, it's driving me crazy to a point where I feel nothing is going in, so much content to cover aaahhhhhh!!!!!

Yes yes and yes, I have dropped Contract now and am focusing on 3. Still on reading stage for next week, no learning done and done one sample answer from exam papers since starting. I have cut my topics down big time and hope I get lucky. I am hoping that when I cram for next 6 days, all the reading I have done will make memorizing it easier. As it is as soon as I finish a topic, I can't even remember what area it comes under. What I want to know is does anyone ever have the comprehensive level of answers referred to in the exam reports given the size of the courses? Even if you started months ago, the level of learning off required, would it not be forgotten by the time the relevant exam comes around, if doing 5 for example.

Good luck to everyone anyways.

Oh no I meant since my Equity sample answers are 2010/2011 they don't include cases like Ulster Bank v Roche 2013 (UD I) or more recent cases. Or in terms of the Charities Act, they briefly refer to it only. I meant relatively little changes in comparison to other subjects.

I didn't mean to freak you out, trust me, I have yet to study Equity for Thursday week so take it with a pinch of salt.

Do you want me to send them on anyway?

Thanks so much!! Phew!! It's ok I think I have older ones.! Quick one though in relation to charities act do you have anything substantial that should be noted on reform.? Or anything on that thanks. I have the changes but nothing major by way of preparation to write an essay solely on reform. Not sure if that needed?

• Advertisement

Thanks so much!! Phew!! It's ok I think I have older ones.! Quick one though in relation to charities act do you have anything substantial that should be noted on reform.? Or anything on that thanks. I have the changes but nothing major by way of preparation to write an essay solely on reform. Not sure if that needed?

Hi Legal125 not really, see I don't think I'll cover it- it depends on if I'll have time. Do you have these, they are last Octs but still handy;

http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/news_general/fe1-night-before-notes-2/

How many are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Yes yes and yes, I have dropped Contract now and am focusing on 3. Still on reading stage for next week, no learning done and done one sample answer from exam papers since starting. I have cut my topics down big time and hope I get lucky. I am hoping that when I cram for next 6 days, all the reading I have done will make memorizing it easier. As it is as soon as I finish a topic, I can't even remember what area it comes under. What I want to know is does anyone ever have the comprehensive level of answers referred to in the exam reports given the size of the courses? Even if you started months ago, the level of learning off required, would it not be forgotten by the time the relevant exam comes around, if doing 5 for example.

Good luck to everyone anyways.
    Paha I got such a sense of relief reading this lol!!! You are not alone!!! I've dropped contract too and "trying" to focus on 3, I've also cut my topics down big time and just going to hedge my bets with what I've covered, I don't see any other way without it driving me physically and mentally up the friggin wall!!! From what I gather you seem to have know a little about a lot, for example in criminal some questions have up to 6 topics, a paragraph on each is all you can actually write given the time constraints and knowing any more than that is a waste. Christ I wish I choose another career path as this one is never ending!!!

Hi Legal125 not really, see I don't think I'll cover it- it depends on if I'll have time. Do you have these, they are last Octs but still handy;

How many are you doing?
    Thanks for that! So goo of u!I'm doing four first four not til April. Hoping I can remember everything! Trying to learn stuff off! U?

Thanks for that! So goo of u!I'm doing four first four not til April. Hoping I can remember everything! Trying to learn stuff off! U?

Sitting 4 but doing 3 property equity criminal. finding it hard now as not enough prep done and starting next week. So will just get a practice set under my belt and hope for the best

Sitting 4 but doing 3 property equity criminal. finding it hard now as not enough prep done and starting next week. So will just get a practice set under my belt and hope for the best

Very best of luck! Hope they go well for u!!

Very best of luck! Hope they go well for u!!

thanks you too

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prince89

I'm sitting Tort, Property, Criminal and Equity next week. I was too broke to buy the FE1 manuals and the notes I do have are from 2010. Could anyone please flag to me if there has been any important cases or leg that have come out for those subjects in the past year or so? Or if anyone could say what came up in the last sitting of Tort, I would be so thankful!

I know about the passing off decision of McCambridge [2011]. Could anyone let me know if the O'Keefe decision of the ECHR in 2012 differed substantially from the Irish courts decision where they decided against the close connection test?

Has the Charities Act been enacted yet or has anything substantially changed since 2011?

How substantially has Undue Influence changed? Was there only 1 new important case in 2013?

Does anyone know what independent college/Griffith/City Colleges are predicting will come up for the Injunctions question in Equity in March 2014?

I'm really sorry for being such a bum and having to ask you all these questions, but I would be so grateful for any help. I simply can't afford to have to sit these exams again if I fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 omgnaire

prince89 wrote: »
    I'm sitting Tort, Property, Criminal and Equity next week. I was too broke to buy the FE1 manuals and the notes I do have are from 2010. Could anyone please flag to me if there has been any important cases or leg that have come out for those subjects in the past year or so? Or if anyone could say what came up in the last sitting of Tort, I would be so thankful!

I know about the passing off decision of McCambridge [2011]. Could anyone let me know if the O'Keefe decision of the ECHR in 2012 differed substantially from the Irish courts decision where they decided against the close connection test?

Has the Charities Act been enacted yet or has anything substantially changed since 2011?

How substantially has Undue Influence changed? Was there only 1 new important case in 2013?

Does anyone know what independent college/Griffith/City Colleges are predicting will come up for the Injunctions question in Equity in March 2014?

I'm really sorry for being such a bum and having to ask you all these questions, but I would be so grateful for any help. I simply can't afford to have to sit these exams again if I fail!

really handy notes and cases up to date to oct 2013!! Best of luck!!! panic stations here!

omgnaire wrote: »

really handy notes and cases up to date to oct 2013!! Best of luck!!! panic stations here!

Thanks very much, really helpful! Though the 2013 Tort Night Before Notes don't seem to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Thanks very much, really helpful! Though the 2013 Tort Night Before Notes don't seem to be there

Unfortunately they never put up tort ones! What are the key topics people are studying for tort?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they never put up tort ones! What are the key topics people are studying for tort?

I'm focusing on Principles of Negligence, Types of Damage, Professional Negligence, Trespass to the person, Defamation, Nuisance, Defective products, Passing off and I don't know whether I should focus on Damages, Occupiers Liability or Employers Liability.

Is this what most people are doing? I have been out of the country and haven't been able to get my hands on the last few Tort papers, so I don't know if there are topics that I should definitely be learning that I've mistakenly left out. Any advice from people in the know would be great!

What are you focusing on in Equity?

Does anyone know what the March 2014 City Colleges tips are? Trying to get a start into Equity as will have no time with Property on Friday and then Criminal.

Anything at all would be a great help.... Going to cry

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tommyslev

Folks, this may be a stupid question but for company, I have the Companies Act 1963 - 2009 by McCann and Courtney but the permitted source provided by the law society is the Companies Acts 1963 - 2012. I would presume 1963-2009 is still permitted but under the EU permitted legislation it specifically allows for earlier or later editions of the publications but it does not specifically state this for company.
    Did anyone sitting company last October submit the 1963-2009 or earlier edition???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

tommyslev wrote: »
    Folks, this may be a stupid question but for company, I have the Companies Act 1963 - 2009 by McCann and Courtney but the permitted source provided by the law society is the Companies Acts 1963 - 2012. I would presume 1963-2009 is still permitted but under the EU permitted legislation it specifically allows for earlier or later editions of the publications but it does not specifically state this for company.
    Did anyone sitting company last October submit the 1963-2009 or earlier edition???

Yeah you can bring in the earlier versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Is the Griffith Moodle site working for anybody else??

Mine said there was maintenance ongoing earlier and that it would be fixed in 30 mins... now the page won't even open!??!

TWO days before the exams.... F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C.!!!! :mad: :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Hi everyone

In a problem question relating to tracing, how would you go about applying the correct test? Do you just apply the test that is most suitable for the beneficiary to get their money back or does it depend on the facts of the problem question?
    I am assuming in an essay question to just go through the tests, but I am a bit confused re problem questions.

Any help - much appreciated!
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

I'm focusing on Principles of Negligence, Types of Damage, Professional Negligence, Trespass to the person, Defamation, Nuisance, Defective products, Passing off and I don't know whether I should focus on Damages, Occupiers Liability or Employers Liability.

Is this what most people are doing? I have been out of the country and haven't been able to get my hands on the last few Tort papers, so I don't know if there are topics that I should definitely be learning that I've mistakenly left out. Any advice from people in the know would be great!

I'm doing pretty much all of those aswell, gunna do a short bit on damages, even just knowing different types and employers liability. That has to be enough. Cramming everything into my head now... Well, trying to!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 omgnaire

would any of ye lovely people be able to tell me what topics came up in the oct constitutional paper!!!!??!! i would be unbelievably grateful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

MissM89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

In a problem question relating to tracing, how would you go about applying the correct test? Do you just apply the test that is most suitable for the beneficiary to get their money back or does it depend on the facts of the problem question?
    I am assuming in an essay question to just go through the tests, but I am a bit confused re problem questions.

Any help - much appreciated!
    Thanks.

My unqualified opinion would be that the courts just use whatever test gives the fair result. I think even for problem q say depends what test the courts use. If its the first one this would be the result if its the second one this is what would happen and then say which one you think is fairest?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if s49 charities act 1961 still applies ie trust for charitable and non charitable purpose construed to exclude non charitable purpose???

Thanks in advance!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement