Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Views on buying the succession act for €7? I know it's guaranteed two questions but would you really end up using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Legal125 wrote: »
    Anyone know if s49 charities act 1961 still applies ie trust for charitable and non charitable purpose construed to exclude non charitable purpose???

Thanks in advance!!

From what I can see section 49 has not been repealed by 2009 act, quote form 2009 Act

SCHEDULE 2
    Repeals
    Short Title Extent of Repeal
    (1) (2)
    Charities Act 1961 Chapter I of Part II (other than sections 11(2) and 17) and
    sections 26 and 45.
    In section 23(1), by the deletion of the words “, with the
    previous consent of the Attorney General,”.
    In section 24, by the deletion of the words “without
    obtaining the consent of the Attorney General”.
    In section 25, by the deletion of the words “other than the
    Attorney General,”.
    In section 53, by the deletion of the words “except the
    Attorney General”.

Section 49 of 1961 is in Part III of Act so think it is still valid as Doctrine of Severance.

I stand open to correction however. I didn't event think of that aspect as not in manual.

Ownleme wrote: »
    Views on buying the succession act for €7? I know it's guaranteed two questions but would you really end up using it?

Could do no harm, has all details of valid reqs for a will and basics where signature should be etc. Also hand for s. 56 appropriation - I got it today just in case I draw a blank on Friday. It might be all I'll have on the page on the day.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

I have the 2013 Constitutional Law seminar by Eoin Carolan (the FE1 examiner) which lists the 10 most important cases for the last year, can email it on if any one would be willing to send me 2012 or 2013 sample answers for any subject or any examiners reports upto 2013.
    Ownleme wrote: »

Would def recommend getting this. Surprisingly useful to have on the day.
    Any one have any idea of the pass rate for TORT?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Hi all,

Hope study is going well.

I am just wondering how is everyone getting on in terms of preparation for the April sitting?
    I am sitting my first 5 in April.. and I am still making notes at the moment.

I am hoping to have 2 weeks before the exams to learn off the notes off by heart :/
    do you reckon it's enough time to learn everything off?

Never sat those exams before, not sure how am I doing in terms of time management.
    I have been making notes but I don't think I remembered that much case law while making notes :O

• Advertisement

For property is it too risky to do succession easements family property and licences with back up AP...? Funny feeling that she might leave out family as its be done. Worse still might give one Succession question only.

Would def recommend getting this. Surprisingly useful to have on the day.
    Any one have any idea of the pass rate for TORT?

No mention of it on any reports I have

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

Are people.leaving any topics out for eu and constitutional??

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Midlecat wrote: »
    From what I can see section 49 has not been repealed by 2009 act, quote form 2009 Act

SCHEDULE 2
    Repeals
    Short Title Extent of Repeal
    (1) (2)
    Charities Act 1961 Chapter I of Part II (other than sections 11(2) and 17) and
    sections 26 and 45.
    In section 23(1), by the deletion of the words “, with the
    previous consent of the Attorney General,”.
    In section 24, by the deletion of the words “without
    obtaining the consent of the Attorney General”.
    In section 25, by the deletion of the words “other than the
    Attorney General,”.
    In section 53, by the deletion of the words “except the
    Attorney General”.

Section 49 of 1961 is in Part III of Act so think it is still valid as Doctrine of Severance.

I stand open to correction however. I didn't event think of that aspect as not in manual.
    Yeah it's not in manual and I answer problem q in college exams where they expected you to point out exclude non charitable purpose. Was wondering if I was correct in that or if I was going mad! Thanks!!

Legal125 wrote: »
    Yeah it's not in manual and I answer problem q in college exams where they expected you to point out exclude non charitable purpose. Was wondering if I was correct in that or if I was going mad! Thanks!!

No I just looked at college notes from 2004 and saw it so checked the Acts, I think we are working off different manuals and if they both left it out, I might too! :)

• Advertisement

Midlecat wrote: »
    For property is it too risky to do succession easements family property and licences with back up AP...? Funny feeling that she might leave out family as its be done. Worse still might give one Succession question only.

Wouldnt risk leaving out too much considering last paper. Have a solid AP answer ready to go and perhaps take an hour and look at finding? A topic that seems to come up a lot and is very short/easy to get your head around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Good luck to all doing Tort tomorrow.

My head is absolutely wrecked with Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

MissM89 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

In a problem question relating to tracing, how would you go about applying the correct test? Do you just apply the test that is most suitable for the beneficiary to get their money back or does it depend on the facts of the problem question?
    I am assuming in an essay question to just go through the tests, but I am a bit confused re problem questions.

Any help - much appreciated!
    Thanks.

Hiya,

From my understanding of the topic, it depends on the facts of the problem.
    For example, if the trustee merely misappropriated the fund then the Fosskett rule applies. If funds were mixed, then Re:Hallett Rule applies (or Re: Oataway). If it is mixed in an active bank a/c. Re: Clayton or Barlow Clowne applies ( doesn't apply but his own money in this rule)

Not sure if I am right..

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

I know you're all going to be busy and have a bajillion things to look over in the next few days but if any of you have the chance after the exam to post up here what topics came up it would be amazingly helpful for us suckers doing the April sitting!

Best of luck guys!

Best of luck to everybody - so it begins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 71fe1

What topic did people answer on question 2 today?

71fe1 wrote: »
    What topic did people answer on question 2 today?

Just answered using general negligence principles

Is there anyone on here doing property on Friday? What are ye covering?

I'm torn between trying to cover a lot really loosely today and tomorrow or just hedging my bets and picking 6. Def leaving out LL and T, Mortgages and Covenants plus all the estate stuff. Might try cover Reg of Prop but will that come up twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Didi2013

For those of ye are sitting the Tort Paper in April! Here's what I did! Any one care to differ, let me know,

Q1 - Defamation essay - fine no major issue.
    Q3 - Problem of Employer liability, Vicarious liability(Course and Scope) wrote a small bit on Assult, although said it didn't matter as it Mary wasn't suing Harry.
    Q5 - Occupier Liability (Held he wasn't liable)
    Q6 - Duty of Care Essay - fine no major issue
    Q8 - Professional Negligent (I wrote a small bit on duty care, didn't mention remoteness of damage though, which now I think I should have!!)

Also Midlecat, I would cover Mortgages over Reg of Prop if your stuck for time. Mortgages is so topical at the moment and with the start mortgages v gunn issue, you couldnt leave it out! Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

chops018 wrote: »
    Good luck to all doing Tort tomorrow.

My head is absolutely wrecked with Company.

Best of luck chops! Hope it goes well for you beyond deserved at this stage!

Any of you that have the tort paper from today could I get a copy of it by email or screenshot it would be a great help.... I would return the favour from any of my papers in April gladly??!

• Advertisement

Q3 - Problem of Employer liability, Vicarious liability(Course and Scope) wrote a small bit on Assult, although said it didn't matter as it Mary wasn't suing Harry.
    Q8 - Professional Negligent (I wrote a small bit on duty care, didn't mention remoteness of damage though, which now I think I should have!!)

Q1. Didnt do it cuz thought it was too specific. Bout Irish cases that show how what "reasonable members of society" consider defamatory will change over time.
    Q3. Wrote a bit about battery!also is nursing home vicariously liable for him cuz he's a resident there is it?
    Q8. Personally think its ok u left out remoteness of damage but that could be cuz I did too!

Didi2013 wrote: »
    For those of ye are sitting the Tort Paper in April! Here's what I did! Any one care to differ, let me know,

Also Midlecat, I would cover Mortgages over Reg of Prop if your stuck for time. Mortgages is so topical at the moment and with the start mortgages v gunn issue, you couldnt leave it out! Hope that helps!

Ugh, thanks Didi2013 I was hoping you wouldn't say that not even read it yet. Then if it comes up with priorities with land reg I could be screwed anyways... :confused:

Didi2013 wrote: »

Just curious as to q3 did it also did but didnt mention vicarious as advising Mary as to her action against the nursing home. In what way did vicarious arise? Didn't mention it at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Can someone list what came up today for Tort. Doing it in April and dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Asho87

Any tips for Company tomorrow?? Seriously panicking now!!

Hope everyones exams going well so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Anyone help me with what is a crystallising event for a floating charge other than the appointment of receivor?

Unfortunately I've no tips for company, I feel like I've enough covered when I look at past papers but I keep being unlucky with Qs and topics, I guess just cover as much as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Asho87

Receiver, wind up, notice given by debenture holder, cessation of business, could be an automatic date written into the debenture/agreement.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Asho87 wrote: »
    Receiver, wind up, notice given by debenture holder, cessation of business, could be an automatic date written into the debenture/agreement.

:)

Cheers! Ive so much written out and feel like none of it is going into my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 omgnaire

Cheers! Ive so much written out and feel like none of it is going into my head!

Im the exact same!!! I feel like i cant remember nethin! Hopefully he'll go easy on us tomorro :) best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dobbo

Ya the defamation essay for Tort today was fairly specific alright - I think I had a few relevant points re the change over time. Re Q2 I didnt cop for ages but think its actually a causation question as last line references whether he caused it. Q8 - I was fairly poor on - appart from going over and over Dunne v National Maternity Hospital - had a serious lack of cases - just about had 5 things to write something about - think I wont sit it again in April - will see what independent colleges review says

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement