Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Dobbo wrote: »
    Ya the defamation essay for Tort today was fairly specific alright - I think I had a few relevant points re the change over time. Re Q2 I didnt cop for ages but think its actually a causation question as last line references whether he caused it. Q8 - I was fairly poor on - appart from going over and over Dunne v National Maternity Hospital - had a serious lack of cases - just about had 5 things to write something about - think I wont sit it again in April - will see what independent colleges review says

Yeah I think that's a good call. Contributory cuz the guy was drunk. Novus actus cuz of the wind blowing cones away
    Didnt have many cases for q8 either

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

Ownleme wrote: »
    Yeah I think that's a good call. Contributory cuz the guy was drunk. Novus actus cuz of the wind blowing cones away
    Didnt have many cases for q8 either

Very undecided about sitting Tort in April again. Had 3 very good questions, all very on point with 80-100% of the relevant cases, one question had the relevant cases but badly applied and then my 5th q was a shambles. On topic, but with only two cases and a vague direction of what duties an employer owes an employee.

Can anyone who has passed give any guidance? How did ye feel after sitting exam? Any thoughts at all appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dobbo

*** This is the review thing I mentioned - free to anyone that isnt in indo col - I'm gonna just base it on that - if the answers they put forward sound completely out of whack with what I put down - I'll chance it again - I think I might just clip it though

The link wont post there but you can prob just turn up

If you are preparing for the April 2014 FE1 examinations you can attend our free March 2014 exam paper review sessions.
    These once-off FE1 March Examination Paper Review Sessions are available to ALL students undertaking the FE1 examinations in April 2014.
    Register for these sessions and benefit from:
     A review of the March 2014 examination paper in each subject delivered by our highly experienced lecturers

 Free last minute recap for each topic on the March examination
    In addition, students of Independent College Dublin’s current FE1 Prep Course will automatically have access to an online recording of each of the classes for which they are registered.
    To attend a seminar/s you must book your place through the link/s listed below (regardless of whether you are an Independent College Dublin student).
     Timetable & Registration:
    Click on the subject/s below to register for each seminar
    Subject Date Time Lecturer
    Tort
    Monday 31st March 6:00 - 8:00pm Val Corbett
    Contract
    Monday 31st March 8:15 – 10:15pm Val Corbett
    Equity
    Tuesday 1st April 6:00 - 8:00pm Ciarán Patton
    Criminal
    Tuesday 1st April 8:15 – 10:15pm Ciarán Patton
    Property
    Wednesday 2nd April 6:00 - 8:00pm Imelda Kelly
    Company
    Wednesday 2nd April 8:15 – 10:15pm Anthony Thuillier
    EU
    Thursday 3rd April 6:00 - 8:00pm Gary FitzGerald
    Constitutional
    Thursday 3rd April 8:15 – 10:15pm Veronica McInerney

Please feel free to pass this email on to your friends or colleagues if you think they might be interested in availing of these classes. All are welcome.
    If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact us.
    Kind regards,
    Gwen McDevitt
    Independent College Dublin
    60-63 Dawson Street, Dublin 2
    E. law@independentcolleges.ie
    T: +353 (0) 1 672 5058
    F: +353 (0) 1 635 1120

www.independentcolleges.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭michelle2000

*** This is the review thing I mentioned - free to anyone that isnt in indo col - I'm gonna just base it on that - if the answers they put forward sound completely out of whack with what I put down - I'll chance it again - I think I might just clip it though

If you are preparing for the April 2014 FE1 examinations you can attend our free March 2014 exam paper review sessions.
    These once-off FE1 March Examination Paper Review Sessions are available to ALL students undertaking the FE1 examinations in April 2014.
     A review of the March 2014 examination paper in each subject delivered by our highly experienced lecturers

Are you registered to sit it in April anyway?

Ya but id hope not to sit it as would take away from preparation for Company and EU planing to sit then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 pinkvibes

Hi Just wondering what others are covering for criminal? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Very undecided about sitting Tort in April again. Had 3 very good questions, all very on point with 80-100% of the relevant cases, one question had the relevant cases but badly applied and then my 5th q was a shambles. On topic, but with only two cases and a vague direction of what duties an employer owes an employee.

Can anyone who has passed give any guidance? How did ye feel after sitting exam? Any thoughts at all appreciated!

Not to scare you, but, you literally never know with these exams.

I came out of Tort last March thinking I'd flown through it, turned out I'd failed, I think I got 41 or something. Then last October I came out thinking I'd failed, especially as I found out afterwards that I did a full question on some completely unrelated topic - don't ask me how, and got 50 on the button and passed.

You are never sure, I've come out of these exams feeling confident and disgusted and I have been very surprised sometimes.

Having been at them a year and a half, and with only one exam left, that's my two cents on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Did defective products or land torts come up for tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Hi guys would anyone be so kind as to give thoughts on q1 april 2013 property re co ownership? Is it tinC as result of inequal contrib and words of severance? Dispite four unities present? Also what is relevance of Julie sending notice of severance is that a uk law comparison re notification versus consent s.30 or is it just reflection of mutual agreement to sever? question says in 2006 so dont think its the former. Any help i would be grateful

Midlecat wrote: »
    Hi guys would anyone be so kind as to give thoughts on q1 april 2013 property re co ownership? Is it tinC as result of inequal contrib and words of severance? Dispite four unities present? Also what is relevance of Julie sending notice of severance is that a uk law comparison re notification versus consent s.30 or is it just reflection of mutual agreement to sever? question says in 2006 so dont think its the former. Any help i would be grateful

Think s30 consent has to be in writing?

• Advertisement

Think s30 consent has to be in writing?

thanks yea same as s3 in 1976 act prior consent in writing for legal severance. But in uk unilateral severance is permissible with just notifying the jt. im failing to see the reason that was put in the question unless it was just burgess v rawnsley williams v hensman that in england unilateral notice suffices if communicated? and now 2009 act clears it up that severance in equity must be mutual....head fried having big trouble with apply law to facts. :-(

thanks yea same as s3 in 1976 act prior consent in writing for legal severance. But in uk unilateral severance is permissible with just notifying the jt. im failing to see the reason that was put in the question unless it was just burgess v rawnsley williams v hensman that in england unilateral notice suffices if communicated? and now 2009 act clears it up that severance in equity must be mutual....head fried having big trouble with apply law to facts. :-(

Don't have the q so can't help you although not sure i could even if I did! For what it's worth it sounds like you know a lot to me. Also I don't think they ever really try trick you in these exams. Think it's unlike to be asking you to compare with uk law but that's just me...

Don't have the q so can't help you although not sure i could even if I did! For what it's worth it sounds like you know a lot to me. Also I don't think they ever really try trick you in these exams. Think it's unlike to be asking you to compare with uk law but that's just me...

Thats what I thought its the first problem question ive tackled in 8 years and I got overwhelmed it wasnt making sense given it said 2006 in a 2012 exam paper. it looked like a trick question in that you might refer to 09 act and its not retrospective. I've a day to learn the lot in the luxury of the ibis so. good to know im not the only one still up

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lemonliman

Hi guys, hope the exams and study is going well for you. Just wondering if anyone who went to the intensive revision courses would mind sharing any predictions given for land. I feel like it was fairly predictable until last sitting- any thoughts that it might be an anomaly?

In my notes it's says you can only make a s117 application 6 months after first taking out representation if the deceased's estate but in the act it says 12 months. Are my notes just wrong? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

In my notes it's says you can only make a s117 application 6 months after first taking out representation if the deceased's estate but in the act it says 12 months. Are my notes just wrong? Thanks

it's defo 6 months, the amendment isn't in the Act

I saw that too - its defo 6 months - think amendment is in the divorce act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

 Free last minute recap for each topic on the March examination
    In addition, students of Independent College Dublin’s current FE1 Prep Course will automatically have access to an online recording of each of the classes for which they are registered.
    To attend a seminar/s you must book your place through the link/s listed below (regardless of whether you are an Independent College Dublin student).
     Timetable & Registration:
    Click on the subject/s below to register for each seminar
    Subject Date Time Lecturer
    Tort
    Monday 31st March 6:00 - 8:00pm Val Corbett
    Contract
    Monday 31st March 8:15 – 10:15pm Val Corbett
    Equity
    Tuesday 1st April 6:00 - 8:00pm Ciarán Patton
    Criminal
    Tuesday 1st April 8:15 – 10:15pm Ciarán Patton
    Property
    Wednesday 2nd April 6:00 - 8:00pm Imelda Kelly
    Company
    Wednesday 2nd April 8:15 – 10:15pm Anthony Thuillier
    EU
    Thursday 3rd April 6:00 - 8:00pm Gary FitzGerald
    Constitutional
    Thursday 3rd April 8:15 – 10:15pm Veronica McInerney

Please feel free to pass this email on to your friends or colleagues if you think they might be interested in availing of these classes. All are welcome.
    If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact us.
    Kind regards,
    Gwen McDevitt
    Independent College Dublin
    60-63 Dawson Street, Dublin 2
    E. law@independentcolleges.ie
    T: +353 (0) 1 672 5058
    F: +353 (0) 1 635 1120

www.independentcolleges.ie

Do you guys think this will be of any benefit to people sitting in April who havent sat March?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

For property is it too risky to do succession easements family property and licences with back up AP...? Funny feeling that she might leave out family as its be done. Worse still might give one Succession question only.

I'm sticking to the same topics.....just cant fit anymore of the it into my head and judging on past questions it seems you will get a pass knowing them.

I'm sticking to the same topics.....just cant fit anymore of the it into my head and judging on past questions it seems you will get a pass knowing them.

good. i have notes written on all those now just have to learn. plenty of time yet!

• Advertisement

Well Company was a disaster today. Delighted I applied for the April sitting too. I may get cracking either tomorrow, or Monday evening, haven't decided yet if I want to drown my sorrows at the weekend.

For anyone interested here's what came up/what I did:

- Q1.

Ostensible Authority Essay.

I think I did well here, I got everything in and had good arguments.

- Q2.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Incorporation. Kind of a problem question.

I talked about SLP and it's advantages, threw in the disadvantages of SLP too.
    Talked about s.297 and some other small bits.
    I reckon I did average on this question.

- Q3.

Pre-Emption Clauses and Refusal to Register Shares. Problem.

I'm gutted with this. Spent a bit of time getting my head around it and studying it as it isn't long, has some legislation and only a few cases, and seems easily applied. Lo and behold I blanked and remembered zilch for it.

-Q4.

Directors' Duties to Shareholders, Creditors, and Employees.

I honestly didn't think I'd see this appear, so I didn't know it that well and left it alone.

-Q5.

Section 150 Essay; Defences.

Didn't think this would come up either as it has been the last two sittings (I think), I went ahead with it due to constriction of choice and I seemed to remember La Moselle very well, although I wasn't able to expand too much on the other cases. Still, I managed to get in Courtney's views and some Constitutional arguments, so I reckon I did a bit better than average here.

-Q6.

S.205 and Oppression. Problem.

Horrible question on this topic, it was three parts and I had to do it because I knew the first (hopefully the main part) very well.
    The second and third part asked would your answer be different if there was a provision in the articles or a shareholder's agreement. Hadn't a clue.

I reckon I did poor enough on this. A 5 or 6 out of 20 if I'm lucky.

-Q7.

Registration of Charges under s.99 and Fixed .v. Floating. Problem.

This was another three part question. Which, might not have been bad if the facts hadn't of been pure horrible.

I got an ok distinction between fixed and floating, and it's advantages etc. but I wasn't 100% able to apply it to the facts, and I didn't expand well on the cases.

For part two and three, well like the above it wasn't great. I talked about s.99 and 104 and 106. Hopefully that gets me a few marks. Again I'll be surprised with how hard a marker Courtney is if I get higher than a 6 or a 7 out of 20.

-Q8.

Essay on Liquidation, concentrating on ability to pay debts and a dispute of such.

I'm raging with this. Spent the last few days doing this exact part as I felt it would come up. Like pre-emption clauses, it's only a small bit of legislation and about 3-4 cases. Yet again, blanked. Only WMC (Toughens) Ltd came into my head and I wasn't gonna just answer with that.

So, here's hoping I remember more for April 9th, and the paper isn't as tough. A lot of niche areas in there to be honest, not normally would you expect so many to come up in one paper. Plus the actually problem questions facts were horrible.

I really can't get my head fully around Company, I mean not even learning off is working as I'm blanking cases names and legislation sections. Any other subject, the stuff would go into my head systematically, I'd break it down and know what case came first for discussion on an area and what came next and how that changed it. Doesn't seem to be happening with this subject. I mean I flew through Constitutional and EU in one sitting for feck sake - both considered to be the hardest, most difficult to understand and broadest out of the FE1's. Although I do seem to get Constitutional and EU and my Master's involved a lot of it too.... but still, never have I had so much trouble with a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

chops018 wrote: »
    Well Company was a disaster today. Delighted I applied for the April sitting too. I may get cracking either tomorrow, or Monday evening, haven't decided yet if I want to drown my sorrows at the weekend.

For anyone interested here's what came up/what I did:

- Q1.

Ostensible Authority Essay.

I think I did well here, I got everything in and had good arguments.

- Q2.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Incorporation. Kind of a problem question.

I talked about SLP and it's advantages, threw in the disadvantages of SLP too.
    Talked about s.297 and some other small bits.
    I reckon I did average on this question.

- Q3.

Pre-Emption Clauses and Refusal to Register Shares. Problem.

I'm gutted with this. Spent a bit of time getting my head around it and studying it as it isn't long, has some legislation and only a few cases, and seems easily applied. Lo and behold I blanked and remembered zilch for it.

-Q4.

Directors' Duties to Shareholders, Creditors, and Employees.

I honestly didn't think I'd see this appear, so I didn't know it that well and left it alone.

-Q5.

Section 150 Essay; Defences.

Didn't think this would come up either as it has been the last two sittings (I think), I went ahead with it due to constriction of choice and I seemed to remember La Moselle very well, although I wasn't able to expand too much on the other cases. Still, I managed to get in Courtney's views and some Constitutional arguments, so I reckon I did a bit better than average here.

-Q6.

S.205 and Oppression. Problem.

Horrible question on this topic, it was three parts and I had to do it because I knew the first (hopefully the main part) very well.
    The second and third part asked would your answer be different if there was a provision in the articles or a shareholder's agreement. Hadn't a clue.

I reckon I did poor enough on this. A 5 or 6 out of 20 if I'm lucky.

-Q7.

Registration of Charges under s.99 and Fixed .v. Floating. Problem.

This was another three part question. Which, might not have been bad if the facts hadn't of been pure horrible.

I got an ok distinction between fixed and floating, and it's advantages etc. but I wasn't 100% able to apply it to the facts, and I didn't expand well on the cases.

For part two and three, well like the above it wasn't great. I talked about s.99 and 104 and 106. Hopefully that gets me a few marks. Again I'll be surprised with how hard a marker Courtney is if I get higher than a 6 or a 7 out of 20.

-Q8.

Essay on Liquidation, concentrating on ability to pay debts and a dispute of such.

I'm raging with this. Spent the last few days doing this exact part as I felt it would come up. Like pre-emption clauses, it's only a small bit of legislation and about 3-4 cases. Yet again, blanked. Only WMC (Toughens) Ltd came into my head and I wasn't gonna just answer with that.

So, here's hoping I remember more for April 9th, and the paper isn't as tough. A lot of niche areas in there to be honest, not normally would you expect so many to come up in one paper. Plus the actually problem questions facts were horrible.

I really can't get my head fully around Company, I mean not even learning off is working as I'm blanking cases names and legislation sections. Any other subject, the stuff would go into my head systematically, I'd break it down and know what case came first for discussion on an area and what came next and how that changed it. Doesn't seem to be happening with this subject. I mean I flew through Constitutional and EU in one sitting for feck sake - both considered to be the hardest, most difficult to understand and broadest out of the FE1's. Although I do seem to get Constitutional and EU and my Master's involved a lot of it too.... but still, never have I had so much trouble with a subject.[/QUOTE

Well done chops018...One thing I've learned from these exams so far is that anything is possible so you might pull it off you never know. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyway, and thanks for posting this for us in April.

chops i remember reading one of your posts back in sept oct or so when i was deciding to do exams or not and you felt company went ok. from what i see here and i have yet to do one, is that when they seem to go awful you end up passing and even if you dont you have the rare chance to do it again in april which hopefully you will fly. Best of luck i hope you did pass

chops i remember reading one of your posts back in sept oct or so when i was deciding to do exams or not and you felt company went ok. from what i see here and i have yet to do one, is that when they seem to go awful you end up passing and even if you dont you have the rare chance to do it again in april which hopefully you will fly. Best of luck i hope you did pass

Yeah I'm so glad there is an April set. It gives me a chance to re-focus and get over the stuff another few times over the next two and a half weeks.

Thanks, these exams are all about perseverance.. I'm so close yet so far.

Good luck regarding your first set. Hopefully they go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hokey poke

Hey sorry someone has already posted this, but when should we expect to get fe1 results for this sitting?

guys with easements is it only prescription that is effectively postponed until 2021 if user begins before 1'1'12 we operate as normal?

if there is a problem question re express grant implication necessity acquisition the 09 act is applicable am i right?

Hokey poke wrote: »
    Hey sorry someone has already posted this, but when should we expect to get fe1 results for this sitting?

They're usually always out six Friday's after the last exam.

sorry that should be 1'12'09

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eveline14

Hope all went well for those who sat company today. Sitting it myself in April for the first time. Just wondering if anybody had an up to date grid they could send on please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Eartha Braveheart

Any tips for criminal? Advice from people who have passed and sat? Examiner reports seem to require the unattainable!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement