Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

property was horrific am i right in saying first time ever no two full succession qs?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Midlecat wrote: »
    property was horrific am i right in saying first time ever no two full succession qs?

Ah 4+5 were pretty much both succession no?

Ownleme wrote: »
    Ah 4+5 were pretty much both succession no?

oh no i did the part as commorientes and 117

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Any tips for criminal? Advice from people who have passed and sat? Examiner reports seem to require the unattainable!
    It's not unattainable. I thought that too before I went in but I scribbled what I knew for each question and passed with a decent mark.

I never go big into quotes (I'm looking to pass not ace them as unfortunately I have a life), just focused on the caselaw and statues that I could remember. The answers in the criminal exam reports are pretty useful and give a decent guide to what is expected: even if you only knew and mentioned the cases that are suggested there in the answers you should get marks for it. At least the criminal examiner gives you cases and explains how they are applied - some of the other exam reports are beyond useless: "Students didn't answer the question given. They gave a general answer to the area in question." Then they move on without providing a suggested route to answer it e.g. if the question is about consent in sexual assaults you would talk about Irish v other approaches, what vitiates it (fear/fraud/some other yolk I've fogotten) and pop in a few cases yourself like Kaitamaki, Clarence and Dica depending upon the question. I reckon its one of the reasons criminal was my best score back in October.

As I've said, just use the crim exam report as a blueprint. I tried to cover as much of that as I could as the questions he asks tend to be a big blur of areas covering a myriad of offences, especially compared to other exams that ask questions in isolation like Company: fixed/floating charges is separate to Director's Duties, both of which I should really be studying now.

Good luck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Don't do that to yourself. It's natural to reflect on something but it'll only wreck your head. If you have any other exams just put the head down and move on. I thought I had completely failed equity last year and it was head-wrecking for about 2 weeks as I focused on it a lot - I was really glad that it was my final exam but I was feeling like crap on the 4 hr bus trip home and wouldn't have been able for more of it as my mind was elsewhere.

If you have more exams it'll just distract you so watch something good on telly/nekkid ladies on d'internet and have a nice munch for a while to help forget about it and get back to work later on.

• Advertisement

Don't do that to yourself. It's natural to reflect on something but it'll only wreck your head. If you have any other exams just put the head down and move on. I thought I had completely failed equity last year and it was head-wrecking for about 2 weeks as I focused on it a lot - I was really glad that it was my final exam but I was feeling like crap on the 4 hr bus trip home and wouldn't have been able for more of it as my mind was elsewhere.

If you have more exams it'll just distract you so watch something good on telly/nekkid ladies on d'internet and have a nice munch for a while to help forget about it and get back to work later on.
    cheers so i take it it wasnt commorienties then...:-(

Sorry for the panic. That is what it was about. Just that commorientes is in s5 of the act but I guess you're right cuz u had to know about survivorship too

Sorry for the panic. That is what it was about. Just that commorientes is in s5 of the act but I guess you're right cuz u had to know about survivorship too

i literally only metioned survivorship and got the 08 act name wrong. i ran out of time so dont think ill pass on four bad enough answer but at least i feel better:-) thats not in my manual at all. dont think i would buy that one again.

i literally only metioned survivorship and got the 08 act name wrong. i ran out of time so dont think ill pass on four bad enough answer but at least i feel better:-) thats not in my manual at all. dont think i would buy that one again.

What's the 08 act? What's the story with commorientes anyway. I get that the rule is they're deemed to have died at the same time but what happens then? Everything's split evenly?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Debbie

Could somebody post what came up in Property today??? I'm doing it in April - thanks!

• Advertisement

What's the 08 act? What's the story with commorientes anyway. I get that the rule is they're deemed to have died at the same time but what happens then? Everything's split evenly?

there was some act i think that says just before they died they held in tinc not sure though i put adm justice act and changed to misc civil provision act. i did a write all you know for the rest instead of critically assess. wont be too hard on myself first time and all :-) criminal and equity next from scratch lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

I feel physically sick every time I think of the exams in April. I know I'm a bit of a drama queen. I was doin well - watching Griffith lectures, studied at weekends and spare time, did revision classes but the last month have been a total disaster I cannot seem to study and with only three weeks left now I still can't seem to do anything worth considering as study...fed up now at this stage

Sorry for the moan :)

Bayley1 wrote: »
    I feel physically sick every time I think of the exams in April. I know I'm a bit of a drama queen. I was doin well - watching Griffith lectures, studied at weekends and spare time, did revision classes but the last month have been a total disaster I cannot seem to study and with only three weeks left now I still can't seem to do anything worth considering as study...fed up now at this stage

Sorry for the moan :)

I hear ya! Doing the April exams too, my first 4! Was doing the Griffith Lectures online and studying most evenings and weeks but everything takes soooo long! Still haven't got all my notes done up. Have property done, bout 2/3 the way through contract and I still have Equity and Constitutional to do!

Debbie wrote: »
    I hear ya! Doing the April exams too, my first 4! Was doing the Griffith Lectures online and studying most evenings and weeks but everything takes soooo long! Still haven't got all my notes done up. Have property done, bout 2/3 the way through contract and I still have Equity and Constitutional to do!

I'm doin the same as you except criminal instead of constitutional. I know I just have to get down to it. I have most of my notes done for each subject not really need to get into this weekend and start to learn things properly. :-( the more I think about it the less I want to do it :)

Fair play to you! What are you focusing on for property, contract & equity?

For property I'm doing - Succession, Co-Ownership, Family Property, Licences, Easements & Profits, Adverse Possession and maybe LL & Tenant & Mortgages. Might do finding / treasure trove too if I have time.

For contract I'm doing everything except Construction of Contracts, Consumer Protection, Illegal & Void Contracts, Discharge & Agency

Don't know about Equity yet!

For property I'm doing - Succession, Co-Ownership, Family Property, Licences, Easements & Profits, Adverse Possession and maybe LL & Tenant & Mortgages. Might do finding / treasure trove too if I have time.

For contract I'm doing everything except Construction of Contracts, Consumer Protection, Illegal & Void Contracts, Discharge & Agency

I think I'm pretty much the same but I won't be doing LL & Tenant, I will probably regret that but for some reason I just can't get my head around it, it's such a large topic too so I think I'm best to concentrate on other topics

For contract the same too - god I hope we are right :-)

I like Equity so I'm not as worried about that. I'm goin to concentrate on the topics he covered in the revision class

I think if we can cover all that and know it we have a good chance... :-D

ownership finding came up today and i only covered it this morning.
    leasehold came up.
    easements critical anaysis of row and support plus reform.
    two sucession two parters one part rule of construction one part intestacy, one problem part on commorienties and one on s117
    adverse possession problem i hope. family law legislative analysis on samesex couples protection for shared home- had a page and ran out of time. i would advise anyone with sparce manuals on commorienties jus accressendi etc to get more info on those just. also re cohabitants you will definitely need an article or something. i found i had three different manuals on the go and they all contradicted eqch other. next time just going to write notes from lyall or something.

i had spent most of my time on property and it went awful to tge detriment of the others which ive to start tonigh. on plus side i feel like that might focus me for others next week. half asleep now though....

leasehold came up.
    two sucession two parters one part rule of construction one part intestacy, one problem part on commorienties and one on s117
    adverse possession problem i hope. family law legislative analysis on samesex couples protection for shared home- had a page and ran out of time. i would advise anyone with sparce manuals on commorienties jus accressendi etc to get more info on those just. also re cohabitants you will definitely need an article or something. i found i had three different manuals on the go and they all contradicted eqch other. next time just going to write notes from lyall or something.

i had spent most of my time on property and it went awful to tge detriment of the others which ive to start tonigh. on plus side i feel like that might focus me for others next week. half asleep now though....

and mortgages i think didnt do it

there was some act i think that says just before they died they held in tinc not sure though i put adm justice act and changed to misc civil provision act. i did a write all you know for the rest instead of critically assess. wont be too hard on myself first time and all :-) criminal and equity next from scratch lol

Oh right. Didnt put any of those! Whoops. But did say split evenly at the end. Was too scared to risk saying as tenants in comman. Should've gone with my gut! Was there covenants mixed in with the AP question? Didnt do it cuz I got scared. Criminal is grand. You don't need to be at the standard of his reports in my experience

leasehold came up.

Thanks Midlecat! I hope you got on ok :) I would have been happy with that paper I think!

Did you bring the Succession Act in with you? I don't know if I'm bothered going to buy it and drop it up the day before - I'd rather spend that time cramming!

• Advertisement

Oh right. Didnt put any of those! Whoops. But did say split evenly at the end. Was too scared to risk saying as tenants in comman. Should've gone with my gut! Was there covenants mixed in with the AP question? Didnt do it cuz I got scared. Criminal is grand. You don't need to be at the standard of his reports in my experience

because of lease? probably i didnt mention it i just wrote all i knew about ani. possedendi and mention cases but with no details. advised julie the whole way then realised it was sheila. so i mentioned successive squatters at the end etc -terrible altogether. i finshed masters in 08 id love to know if there is anyone in similar position and how theyre tackling getting back into study etc

I think I'm pretty much the same but I won't be doing LL & Tenant, I will probably regret that but for some reason I just can't get my head around it, it's such a large topic too so I think I'm best to concentrate on other topics

For contract the same too - god I hope we are right :-)

I like Equity so I'm not as worried about that. I'm goin to concentrate on the topics he covered in the revision class

I think if we can cover all that and know it we have a good chance... :-D

You seem well on top of things! Go you... :) I did the Equity revision course too, we went through 11 frequent topics and 7 not so frequent topics (I think so anyway)! Are you going to study them all or just the frequent ones?

Thanks Midlecat! I hope you got on ok :) I would have been happy with that paper I think!

Did you bring the Succession Act in with you? I don't know if I'm bothered going to buy it and drop it up the day before - I'd rather spend that time cramming!

Do. it helped me with commorienties and 117. only thing is i didnt realise u could highlight it i felt like a right chump then rooting away looking for things thats where half the time went

You seem well on top of things! Go you... :) I did the Equity revision course too, we went through 11 frequent topics and 7 not so frequent topics (I think so anyway)! Are you going to study them all or just the frequent ones?

Yeah I think just the most frequent ones and maybe one or two less frequent if I have time...

Did u do the revision class for all four? Are you goin to attend the revision classes in couple weeks time that were posted about earlier?

Yeah I think just the most frequent ones and maybe one or two less frequent if I have time...

Did u do the revision class for all four? Are you goin to attend the revision classes in couple weeks time that were posted about earlier?

I didn't do the revision course for property, I think I have a good handle on that - did them for the other 3! Did you?

Yea I think I'll go to the Independent Colleges ones, will be good to see what came up etc... Are you? Do you just email them or is there a link you can register on?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 May92

Could you post up what the most frequent topics were please? Need to cut things out!

May92 wrote: »
    Could you post up what the most frequent topics were please? Need to cut things out!

1. Injunctions - know all of it
    2. Proprietary Estoppel
    3. Undue Influence
    4. Specific Performance
    5. Rectification
    6. Trusts
    7. Charitable Trusts
    8. Resulting Trusts
    9. Express Trusts
    10. Constitution of a Trust
    11. Constructive Trusts

Then less frequent - Rule in Strong v Bird, Donatio Mortis Causa, Cy-Prés, Maxims, Tracing, Satisfaction & Secret Trusts

i meant to say loads of people handed theirs in this morning before exam and got them no need for day before

because of lease? probably i didnt mention it i just wrote all i knew about ani. possedendi and mention cases but with no details. advised julie the whole way then realised it was sheila. so i mentioned successive squatters at the end etc -terrible altogether. i finshed masters in 08 id love to know if there is anyone in similar position and how theyre tackling getting back into study etc

Oh right didnt think of successive squatters. Yeah got confused about the lease bit n thought there was something about burden of Janet's use running with the land. But other facts were very like AP cases so it was probably just that. Yeah wasnt confident enough on the right cases to use so I didn't do it in the end. I'd agree with getting the Act. Actually a lot in it. Helped with intestacy q too. I dropped it in at 9am this morning n had it on my desk by 10.15 I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Eartha Braveheart

It's not unattainable. I thought that too before I went in but I scribbled what I knew for each question and passed with a decent mark.

I never go big into quotes (I'm looking to pass not ace them as unfortunately I have a life), just focused on the caselaw and statues that I could remember. The answers in the criminal exam reports are pretty useful and give a decent guide to what is expected: even if you only knew and mentioned the cases that are suggested there in the answers you should get marks for it. At least the criminal examiner gives you cases and explains how they are applied - some of the other exam reports are beyond useless: "Students didn't answer the question given. They gave a general answer to the area in question." Then they move on without providing a suggested route to answer it e.g. if the question is about consent in sexual assaults you would talk about Irish v other approaches, what vitiates it (fear/fraud/some other yolk I've fogotten) and pop in a few cases yourself like Kaitamaki, Clarence and Dica depending upon the question. I reckon its one of the reasons criminal was my best score back in October.

As I've said, just use the crim exam report as a blueprint. I tried to cover as much of that as I could as the questions he asks tend to be a big blur of areas covering a myriad of offences, especially compared to other exams that ask questions in isolation like Company: fixed/floating charges is separate to Director's Duties, both of which I should really be studying now.

Good luck with them.

Thanks a mil for the advice. First time sitting criminal. Good luck with your ones! Did company on Thursday - wasn't too bad at all. Hopefully your paper will be as nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement