Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

chops018 wrote: »
    I haven't done Criminal since October 2012, but I don't remember each question just being on one topic. A problem question could have numerous amounts of offences or defences from different topics to be discussed.

yea its all mixed except for your essay questions on strict liability causation etc.

cant leave anything out from what i see

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

any recent cases for constitutional that might be worth taking note of.....for instances the mccrystal judgment and fleming v ireland.....any more along those lines??

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

any recent cases for constitutional that might be worth taking note of.....for instances the mccrystal judgment and fleming v ireland.....any more along those lines??
    Hello again young lady. Hopefully some good karma for me here.

Gormley - the rapist from Donegal appeal in the SC a few days ago. Released.
    White - the dna swab. Conviction upheld.

Both were to do with unconstitutionally obtained evidence with one allowed, one not and were both dealt with at the same time in relation to access to solicitors. It is suggested they bring us more in line with international norms.

If anyone could fire up the Constitution and EU questions from this sitting it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭LawCQ91

Does anyone know if Bayer Injunctions ever came up before?
    I heard it somewhere it never comes up.. just want to be sure before I leave it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Morris_fe1s

Could anyone please tell me what topics were examined for contract last sitting please.

I did order a copy of the reports on the 3rd of March, which seem to have gone awol!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

chops018 wrote: »
    I haven't done Criminal since October 2012, but I don't remember each question just being on one topic. A problem question could have numerous amounts of offences or defences from different topics to be discussed.

Yeah looking at the past papers. One question could have four subsections covering 7 or 8 different topics. Can't really leave anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Hi all

Small contract question that I am getting so confused on so maybe someone might be able to shed some light!

In relation offer & acceptance how does a promise for a promise become enforceable? I have read through the examiners report and it seems to be something that it picked out as being often missed in a problem question. If A promises to buy something for a specific price and B promises to deliver the goods to A on a specified date, how is this enforceable where there has been no consideration given yet?

Any comments, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

MissM89 wrote: »
    Hi all

Small contract question that I am getting so confused on so maybe someone might be able to shed some light!

In relation offer & acceptance how does a promise for a promise become enforceable? I have read through the examiners report and it seems to be something that it picked out as being often missed in a problem question. If A promises to buy something for a specific price and B promises to deliver the goods to A on a specified date, how is this enforceable where there has been no consideration given yet?

Any comments, much appreciated!

Executory consideration involves promise for a promise whereas executed consideration involves a promise for an act. Think of the problem in terms of consideration being provided as executory. Hope that helps... before you reach consideration make sure the acceptance is a mirror of the terms of the offer and that it isn't a counter-offer. That issue seems to pop up frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

CRM1 wrote: »
    Executory consideration involves promise for a promise whereas executed consideration involves a promise for an act. Think of the problem in terms of consideration being provided as executory. Hope that helps... before you reach consideration make sure the acceptance is a mirror of the terms of the offer and that it isn't a counter-offer. That issue seems to pop up frequently.

This really does help, thanks!
    In terms of executory consideration, where both parties promise to do something, is the contract in existence at that point, before either of them have performed their side of the deal? i.e can the contract then be revoked before performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

MissM89 wrote: »
    This really does help, thanks!
    In terms of executory consideration, where both parties promise to do something, is the contract in existence at that point, before either of them have performed their side of the deal? i.e can the contract then be revoked before performance?

Depends on the facts but from a general standpoint, where there is an offer, acceptance and consideration in place, ensuring that the rule against past consideration is dealt with, the cornerstones of the contract are present. Factors such as the Intention to create legal relations etc would have to be examined. Lampleigh v Braithwait (1615) is a good case to have a look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Hi all. Hope the exams are going well for those of you currently sitting them. I am sitting my first 4 exam (contract, equity, property and criminal) in April and I just have a few quick questions. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) Has everybody received their confirmation of registration from the Law Society yet? I sent the payment on the last Tuesday with next day delivery, which according to an Post tracking was delivered on the Wednesday. I know it says on the application form that it could take up to 3 weeks after the deadline to receive confirmation but I'm worried all the same.

2) I had originally planned on getting everything covered once by last Thursday, to give me 3 weeks for revision. I have fallen a bit behind and only finished up today. In order to do so I had to leave some topics out. I covered most of the topics in all 4 subjects but have had to leave some out due to time constraints. I am a bit concerned about 2 of the topics I have left out. In Equity I have left out Purpose Trusts. I did this because it is such a long topic. I'm a bit worried though as I know Charitable Trusts seem to come up practically every year. Could it come up in more than 1 question or is it safe enough leaving it out? In Criminal I have left out Practice and Procedure. Again this is because it is such a long topic. I have studied it before and found it interesting and most of the case names still ring a bell. Is there any chance of that coming up in two questions?

3) In relation to accommodation where would be the best place to stay? I have look at staying in the venue itself, and may yet decide to stay there, but if there is a cheaper alternative nearby that would be great.

4) This question is more me looking for a bit of reassurance! :P Is the standard expected much higher than at third-level? I just about got a 2:1 in both the BA and LLB. My average in most law exams was around the 60% mark. Would that sort of standard of exam be good over enough to get over the 50% required? I have put more work into studying for these exams than I ever did for any College exams but the sheer amount of material to cover may negate that. I know this is a very subjective question as it all depends on the marker but basically would the FE-1 markers be much tougher than the average college lecturer?

Apologies for the wall of text (especially considering this is my first post) but if anybody to answer any of the above I would really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Redo91 wrote: »
    Hi all. Hope the exams are going well for those of you currently sitting them. I am sitting my first 4 exam (contract, equity, property and criminal) in April and I just have a few quick questions. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) Has everybody received their confirmation of registration from the Law Society yet? I sent the payment on the last Tuesday with next day delivery, which according to an Post tracking was delivered on the Wednesday. I know it says on the application form that it could take up to 3 weeks after the deadline to receive confirmation but I'm worried all the same.

2) I had originally planned on getting everything covered once by last Thursday, to give me 3 weeks for revision. I have fallen a bit behind and only finished up today. In order to do so I had to leave some topics out. I covered most of the topics in all 4 subjects but have had to leave some out due to time constraints. I am a bit concerned about 2 of the topics I have left out. In Equity I have left out Purpose Trusts. I did this because it is such a long topic. I'm a bit worried though as I know Charitable Trusts seem to come up practically every year. Could it come up in more than 1 question or is it safe enough leaving it out? In Criminal I have left out Practice and Procedure. Again this is because it is such a long topic. I have studied it before and found it interesting and most of the case names still ring a bell. Is there any chance of that coming up in two questions?

3) In relation to accommodation where would be the best place to stay? I have look at staying in the venue itself, and may yet decide to stay there, but if there is a cheaper alternative nearby that would be great.

4) This question is more me looking for a bit of reassurance! :P Is the standard expected much higher than at third-level? I just about got a 2:1 in both the BA and LLB. My average in most law exams was around the 60% mark. Would that sort of standard of exam be good over enough to get over the 50% required? I have put more work into studying for these exams than I ever did for any College exams but the sheer amount of material to cover may negate that. I know this is a very subjective question as it all depends on the marker but basically would the FE-1 markers be much tougher than the average college lecturer?

Apologies for the wall of text (especially considering this is my first post) but if anybody to answer any of the above I would really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Hi

In relation to accommodation I booked the ibis hotel. It's 3km from the hotel, I was goin to book the red cow but it was much more expensive.

I am staying the night before property, then four nights the following week i am not goin to travel home after the exam on Monday to come back up on Tuesday night (I am doin the same four subjects as you) in total the hotel worked out at €175 for 5 nights so not too bad I think :)

I too have finished all topics, I don't have full notes written on all but will do some condensed notes while revision as I find writing helps me remember, reading only doesn't help me that much, so I'm hoping the time we have left will be enough.

I don't have my notes to hand so I can't give u much advise off the top of my head as regards the topics u want to leave out however I think if these are the only ones you are leaving out then you it think you will be ok.

In regards to how the examiner marks, I can't help at all...sorry.

I hope this was of some help, good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

Sorry I forgot to say I was worried about my confirmation from the Law Society. I posted my application form the Thursday of the week before the closing date and I received a letter last week. I was beginning to worry too, based on the timeframe I got mine I would think you would hear from them this week

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Redo91 wrote: »

1) I sent mine in a good while ago and got it about a week later. If you're really worried then best bet is to ring the Law Society.

2) For criminal I would be really hesitant to leave anything out. Looking at past papers, the examiner really likes mixing topics. You could get a four part question which includes non-fatal, property and theft/fraud offences, offences against justice and possible defences as well as bail conditions and being sent to the special criminal court by the DPP.

4) Honestly for me they didn't seem much harder than college exams. However you have to know a lot more and be able to apply it accurately. Timing is the biggest issue, you have 3 hours to write five 3/4 page answers and problem questions can be really time consuming with reading them and identifying the issues before you can start structuring an answer. I would always limit myself to 30 minutes per answer and move on as soon as that's up.

It's essential to always get five answers done as it gives you the best chance of passing. In October I sat five and passed four which was great for my first time. Failed Equity which I expected coming out of the exam hall because I really only managed to get 3.5 good questions - the rest I had to waffle with basically no case law due to multi-part questions where I knew half of one question but nothing on the other part. But I still managed to get 43 in Equity with that.

I would really recommend doing exam questions, even in sketch outline with 20 mins spent on each because being able to roughly outline a question in 20 minutes means you are used to doing that and you have an extra 10 minutes on the day to read over it and do your conclusion and analysis. It helps you get used to exam conditions and identify areas you can't recall and need to study more. And it can give you a boost in confidence when you can identify issues etc and taking a break from non-stop reading is really important.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mackerf

I am working off a 2011 criminal manual - are there any NB updates to the syllabus since then? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

sophya wrote: »
    1) I sent mine in a good while ago and got it about a week later. If you're really worried then best bet is to ring the Law Society.

2) For criminal I would be really hesitant to leave anything out. Looking at past papers, the examiner really likes mixing topics. You could get a four part question which includes non-fatal, property and theft/fraud offences, offences against justice and possible defences as well as bail conditions and being sent to the special criminal court by the DPP.

4) Honestly for me they didn't seem much harder than college exams. However you have to know a lot more and be able to apply it accurately. Timing is the biggest issue, you have 3 hours to write five 3/4 page answers and problem questions can be really time consuming with reading them and identifying the issues before you can start structuring an answer. I would always limit myself to 30 minutes per answer and move on as soon as that's up.

It's essential to always get five answers done as it gives you the best chance of passing. In October I sat five and passed four which was great for my first time. Failed Equity which I expected coming out of the exam hall because I really only managed to get 3.5 good questions - the rest I had to waffle with basically no case law due to multi-part questions where I knew half of one question but nothing on the other part. But I still managed to get 43 in Equity with that.

I would really recommend doing exam questions, even in sketch outline with 20 mins spent on each because being able to roughly outline a question in 20 minutes means you are used to doing that and you have an extra 10 minutes on the day to read over it and do your conclusion and analysis. It helps you get used to exam conditions and identify areas you can't recall and need to study more. And it can give you a boost in confidence when you can identify issues etc and taking a break from non-stop reading is really important.

Thank you for all the advice! Congrats on passing 4 out of 5! Ya I figured that would be the case with criminal. It's very easy to mix in lots of topics into one problem question, especially with practice and procedure being such a general topic. According to the Independent College manual I am using detention without trial, the right to silence, presumption of innocence and bail tend to come up together quiet a bit so I might study them and chance leaving the rest of the chapter out. From past experience would you saying having just under 3 weeks for revision is sufficient?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 FE1201456

Does anyone know if City colleges are putting up to date night before notes up? The ones on the website are from 2013?!

hey has anyone found out whether constitutional is being held in blackhall place or redcow for april sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

Can someone please tell me what questions 2 and 5 was about today. I'm not sure?

I answered q2 as being on Sep. Of Powers - legislature, I also added fair procedure and art42 right to primary education.

Q5 - I answered as being on Freedom of Ex.

Any help appreciated

Can someone please tell me what questions 2 and 5 was about today. I'm not sure?

I answered q2 as being on Sep. Of Powers - legislature, I also added fair procedure and art42 right to primary education.

Any help appreciated

would you mind putting up what all the questions were about....im doing them in april so would be really helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 71fe1

What a disgusting paper

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭FE1 student

They normally wait nearer the exam date. But I see they have not put them up for the March exams, maybe they will change them nearer the April dates. In October 2013 they were standing outside the exam hall handing them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Any help appreciated

Yeah q2 I said non delegation doctrine which is kinda the sane thing isn't it? In terms of fair procedure I said about the lack of reasons?

Q5 tho I said it was proportionality mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

That was a horrific paper!

Yea Q2 I said sep of powers, though I don't think i explaining it very articulately!

And q5 I said freedom of ex, but mainly proportionality.

I answered neither well though. Or anything else on that paper . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

hope exams went well for everybody today. does anyone have tips for criminal tomorrow? covering ch 1 indicia and maybe presumption of innocence leaving classification because came up last year as essay and procedure/courts as its too niggly to be starting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unknown1990

Could you have brought the right to livelihood in to 5 or was that a stretch on my part? Sick paper! How could there be questions on the president and the ag?!

Lolers11 wrote: »
    That was a horrific paper!

Yea Q2 I said sep of powers, though I don't think i explaining it very articulately!

And q5 I said freedom of ex, but mainly proportionality.

I answered neither well though. Or anything else on that paper . . .

What did you answer for q8 if you did it?

Could you have brought the right to livelihood in to 5 or was that a stretch on my part? Sick paper! How could there be questions on the president and the ag?!

Probably could. It was horrible enough I would have stuck anything in for marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

I know! Yep I threw in a bits livelihood too. Similarity anything to bulk the answer out. Didnt answer 8 hadn't a breeze what it was about

• Advertisement

Can someone please please please list out the topics that came up in the 8 questions?? Did the ag and president come up as separate questions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement