Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 FE1201456

lol "your man was dead"

I dont get that case either I thought it meant you had to wait for the period to expire before you could assume he hadn't elected - is the the one where Revenue swooped in?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

FE1201456 wrote: »
    lol "your man was dead"

I dont get that case either I thought it meant you had to wait for the period to expire before you could assume he hadn't elected - is the the one where Revenue swooped in?

Hah whoops - choice words by me. I won't say that in exam. Oxford English all the way..

Yeah that's the one! Thanks. That's what my understanding is too. Lifesaver sorry I can't learn it unless I understand it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 FE1201456

Same as! That's what I thought it means but don't take my word for it the only reason I recognised the case name was because I read it so many times and the more I read it the less sense it made...

Blind leading the Blind! B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kitty_kat_87

Hi......... hope exams are going well for everyone! :)

Came across this website the other night (Constitutional desperation!!) n said I'd share cos found it good for summaries of cases etc.

I'm working on Contract at mo so this is the link thiat I'm posting but think there's notes on all subjects!

Good luck! :)

http://www.cram.com/tag/contract-irish-law

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Has anyone any tips on what to cut out of contract....its gonna be my last out of 5 exams so really pushed for time and hoping to take a huge leap of faith and study a max of 8 topics! any direction or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

Legal125 wrote: »
    Q re succession and s111 - In re uruqhart it states where left something you must elect to take gift or legal right share, but s115 you have a year to 6 months to elect and failure to elect you receive gift... So wtf is the point of re uruqhart as in that case your man was dead and was clearly never going to elect.,,, is it just making the point that when you have a gift there must always be election within the time period and if there is no election once time has passed you get the gift?

Sorry does that make sense? Thanks.

Just off the top of my head Re Urquhart was the case where the Supreme Court stated that if the spouse doesn't elect gets the gift - but I think if memory serves that he didn't elect and he had to take the gift - Revenue wanted inheritance tax, they assumed that the legal right share vested, but it was conditional on him surviving a month after his wife, which he didn't do-so he got nothing. More or less just an illustration of s 115 in action and that the legal right share doesn't automatically vest when the spouse has to elect.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Legal125 wrote: »
    Q re succession and s111 - In re uruqhart it states where left something you must elect to take gift or legal right share, but s115 you have a year to 6 months to elect and failure to elect you receive gift... So wtf is the point of re uruqhart as in that case your man was dead and was clearly never going to elect.,,, is it just making the point that when you have a gift there must always be election within the time period and if there is no election once time has passed you get the gift?

Sorry does that make sense? Thanks.

From my understanding how re urqhart is distinguished from the other case, cant remember the name in that one of them the wife left the husband a gift if he survived her by the month, he didnt so the gift was rendered €0 but as a gift was left, regardless of the value he had had to elect and the revenue couldnt do it for him whereas in odwyer v keegan no gift at all so vested automatically.

Re Urquhart [1974] - A husband and wife were killed in a car crash. The husband survived his wife by one day, but he was unconscious the entire time and therefore couldn’t make an election. SC - as he hadn’t made an election he was entitled to what was provided under the will. – Authority for the proposition a default of election, the surviving spouse takes under the will.

O’Dwyer v Keegan [1997] – The testator died 12 hours before his wife to whom he had left nothing in his will. SC – She had obtained the LRS automatically on her husbands death. Would be different if gift was left.

Thats from this handy link which i wished id used last friday

http://irishlaw.livejournal.com/1003.html

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

Would anybody be able to post what came up in Criminal today? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Midlecat

Lily Belle wrote: »
    Would anybody be able to post what came up in Criminal today? Thanks!

Recklessness r v g quote law in ireland
    Self defence critically analyse
    consent re sexual offences in ireland

All essays.

2 different 4 parter questions on advising charges to bring mix of admin of justice public order offences against person theft and fraud etc.

one problem question on murder manslaughter intoxication theft and fraud causation and maybe something about killing faetus not sure on latter bit.

one problem question on inchoate complicity theft etc

One on arrest detention bail right to silence not sure if thats exhaustive didnt do

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Thanks for that MiddleCat - it has made me worry about Criminal in April however, there is such an overlap of topics it makes it impossible to cut anything out!

What is anyone else studying for Criminal in April? I was going to cover the following, but am now not sure it is enough given the ridiculous overlap of topics!:-

1. Classification of Offences
    2. Jurisdiction of the Courts
    3. Inchoate Offences
    4. Arrest, Bail and Detention
    5. Sexual Offences
    6. Defences
    7. Non-Fatal Offences
    8. Theft & Fraud Offences

Any guidance on other topics that people are doing would be great. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Jesika

Midlecat wrote: »
    Recklessness r v g quote law in ireland
    Self defence critically analyse
    consent re sexual offences in ireland

All essays.

2 different 4 parter questions on advising charges to bring mix of admin of justice public order offences against person theft and fraud etc.

one problem question on murder manslaughter intoxication theft and fraud causation and maybe something about killing faetus not sure on latter bit.

one problem question on inchoate complicity theft etc

One on arrest detention bail right to silence not sure if thats exhaustive didnt do

For the incitement question, I think I went on about common design and being an accessory to the robbery😳 any one do the same? Or am I completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kildaregal

South county..I am doing contract on Friday also which is my last fe1.

It is hard to cut anything from contract as I think you need a basic understanding of most areas as the problem questions overlap on topics so much.
    However I am repeating it(never had to repeat any others but this subject is a stickler for me!) and this time I hoping to do as many essay q's as possible and the first prob q on offer and acceptance etc.
    therefore I am doing offer&acceptance, consideration and estoppel, terms, consumer contracts(eu part only), mistake, misrepresentation, discharge if contracts and remedies well and going to have a basic understanding of the other topics.
    How about you? Do you know of any recent 2013/14 cases or LRC recommendations/recent legislation that we could use to boost our marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pinkvibes

What came up in property exam please?

Also, did struck liability come up in criminal, I've heard conflicting reports.

Thanks

*strict liability 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jesika

pinkvibes wrote: »
    What came up in property exam please?

Also, did struck liability come up in criminal, I've heard conflicting reports.

Thanks

Property exam:
    -Same sex couples essay
    -I think q2 was a mix of adverse poss and easements-not sure I left that one
    -Landlord and tenant-2 part essay
    -Joint tenants die simultaneously and s111 succession act (2 part q. , do both)
    -Construction of wills and intestate distribution(2 part q. , do both)
    -Objects found above and below the land problem
    -Rights to light and support essay
    -Morgages

And what question in criminal did you think strict liability come up? I didn't see it:/

That's great, thanks.

I didn't sit the criminal exam yet, doing the April sitting but was chatting to someone jjust after the exam and she thought s.l. was one of the questions. She must have been mistaken.

I was hoping it had come up as I haven't looked at it yet but now I'm thinking it may be a possibility. :(

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JamesLaw

Can somebody please put up a copy of the EU paper. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

How did everyone find EU today? Im not sure what i thought of it or if ive enough done to pass. Hv applied to sit it again n EU unsure if i will or not. Wondering whats everyone else thought of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

Glinda! wrote: »
    How did everyone find EU today? Im not sure what i thought of it or if ive enough done to pass. Hv applied to sit it again n EU unsure if i will or not. Wondering whats everyone else thought of it?

Can you tell us what topics came up??

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Heard someone say there was a generous amount of choice (too many topics to name- especially with equity tomorrow!). That didnt make it any easier for me. Heard someone else say they were pushed for time which I felt too. These exams are just hard. You have to work at such a fast pace for so long. I know the half question on services really confused me n I have a fairly messy answer to that part of the question. The q on prelim ref was a bit mean in that it didnt ask about what a tribunal of last resort meant. Only realised when I'd started answering n it was too late that the cases I had in my head were in about that so the answer was pretty vague

• Advertisement

Milkypops wrote: »
    Can you tell us what topics came up??

I hvnt got the paper n front of me so this off the top of my head

TBH there wasnt much that didnt make an appearance lot of internal and multiple choice q's.

Q1 i didnt do but i think part A was a.17 or B q on legalislative sources
    Q2 i dont remember what it was about i didnt d that either
    Q3 A a.258-260 or B preliminary references two parts n each part defo was n pr neways
    Q4 Case note Q
    Q5 was 2parts answr both A was about ban on dolls in interest of public morality in respect of children and ban on advertising of dolls
    B was about univerity grants in respect of conditions of length of service of the establishment and residency requirements of students
    Q6 was advising 3 ppl re free movement
    Q7 was problem q on a.102 and direct effect
    Q8 had 3 parts had to answr 1 A.Competitin law mainly a.101 B esaay on A.101 or C a.107

Awful stuck for time and found way questions were asked was challenging especially with several issues arising in each question with 2/3 parts to each for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Would it be possible if somebody could pm me a copy of the March 14 criminal, equity and contract papers when they have them? I have a copy of the Tort paper if anyone needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

I hvnt got the paper n front of me so this off the top of my head

TBH there wasnt much that didnt make an appearance lot of internal and multiple choice q's.

Q1 i didnt do but i think part A was a.17 or B q on legalislative sources
    Q2 i dont remember what it was about i didnt d that either
    Q3 A a.258-260 or B preliminary references two parts n each part defo was n pr neways
    Q4 Case note Q
    Q5 was 2parts answr both A was about ban on dolls in interest of public morality in respect of children and ban on advertising of dolls
    B was about univerity grants in respect of conditions of length of service of the establishment and residency requirements of students
    Q6 was advising 3 ppl re free movement
    Q7 was problem q on a.102 and direct effect
    Q8 had 3 parts had to answr 1 A.Competitin law mainly a.101 B esaay on A.101 or C a.107

Awful stuck for time and found way questions were asked was challenging especially with several issues arising in each question with 2/3 parts to each for the most part.

Yea I was stuck for time as well! There ws so much to read in comparison to other papers!
    Just to check, did q6 not have citizenship as well as free movement??
    Anyone know what q2 was about??

Lolers11 wrote: »
    Yea I was stuck for time as well! There ws so much to read in comparison to other papers!
    Just to check, did q6 not have citizenship as well as free movement??
    Anyone know what q2 was about??

Yes it did i was just giving the general outline from what i remember. There was also a small bit of Brussels I Reg involved n Q7 if ive answered correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lolers11

Yes it did i was just giving the general outline from what i remember. There was also a small bit of Brussels I Reg involved n Q7 if ive answered correctly

Oh thank god! I thought I had got it very wrong there.

I thought q2 was about Supremacy, but I wasn't completely sure!

There was loads of choice though, I'd say if you had done a decent amount of study you would have been fine. I prob didn't do enough unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

does anyone have an uptodate grid for EU by any chance?? just trying to see is there any pattern??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭southcounty

Kildaregal wrote: »
    South county..I am doing contract on Friday also which is my last fe1.

It is hard to cut anything from contract as I think you need a basic understanding of most areas as the problem questions overlap on topics so much.
    However I am repeating it(never had to repeat any others but this subject is a stickler for me!) and this time I hoping to do as many essay q's as possible and the first prob q on offer and acceptance etc.
    therefore I am doing offer&acceptance, consideration and estoppel, terms, consumer contracts(eu part only), mistake, misrepresentation, discharge if contracts and remedies well and going to have a basic understanding of the other topics.
    How about you? Do you know of any recent 2013/14 cases or LRC recommendations/recent legislation that we could use to boost our marks?

Hi kildaregal, thanks for your advice. I'm sticking to pretty much the same as you put i'm also going to try and squeeze in terms of a contract. Unfortunately I don't have any up-to date case or LRC recommendations as I'm just sticking to the bare minimum for this one but if I hear of any of my friends with that kinda of stuff I'll pass it on.

There a reference to a102 but I didn't notice anything about Brussels?!

Q2 was crotty and Pringle for part b n art29 of the constitution "necessitated by the obligations of membership" for part a

• Registered Users Posts: 46 May92

Was it infringement actions or judicial review that came up with preliminary references in EU today? I've been told different things by different people!

• Advertisement

LawCQ91 wrote: »
    Hiya,

From my understanding of the topic, it depends on the facts of the problem.
    For example, if the trustee merely misappropriated the fund then the Fosskett rule applies. If funds were mixed, then Re:Hallett Rule applies (or Re: Oataway). If it is mixed in an active bank a/c. Re: Clayton or Barlow Clowne applies ( doesn't apply but his own money in this rule)

Not sure if I am right..

just going back to this now that i'm studying it. yeah i'd say you're right in the sense that depending on the type of fund different rules apply but I guess I was thinking of how do you choose between Oataway and Hallett and that would be by what's fairest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement