Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

I don't think so. That at least is what Philip Burke (or at least the guy with the username) has suggested. I also rang City Colleges earlier and they said to contact them and let them know the score. Afaik, the email will suffice. Which is nice of them, in fairness.

Oh really? I'd only heard of one class n thought the classes and online were available to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Q re EU law if anyone can confirm?
    Collins v Secretary of State. Re job seekers and right to job seekers allowance I know it distinguishes between people in and out of employment and in employment u get 7(2) social advantages and then am I right that re access to work any measures on residency must be proportionate and non discriminatory so therefore one could bee entitled to job seekers benefit?
    Thanks in advance and hope tht makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kitty_kat_87

Contract....

1. Offer and Acceptance
    2. Exclusion Clause
    3. Damages
    4. Mistake
    5 (a) Exp diff between a term and representation (b) diff between warranty, condition and in-nominate (or intermediate) term
    6. Impact of EU directives and current harmonisation initiatives on Irish Contract law
    7. Discuss rule in Pinnel's case and discuss whether promissory estopel can provide remedy to a party (debtor) who has relied on the promise of a creditor to accept a lessor sum in satisfaction of a larger debt.
    8. (a) Frustration

or (b) When will a contract be declared invalid on the grounds of economic duress

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

Contract....

1. Offer and Acceptance
    2. Exclusion Clause
    3. Damages
    4. Mistake
    5 (a) Exp diff between a term and representation (b) diff between warranty, condition and in-nominate (or intermediate) term
    6. Impact of EU directives and current harmonisation initiatives on Irish Contract law
    7. Discuss rule in Pinnel's case and discuss whether promissory estopel can provide remedy to a party (debtor) who has relied on the promise of a creditor to accept a lessor sum in satisfaction of a larger debt.
    8. (a) Frustration

or (b) When will a contract be declared invalid on the grounds of economic duress

Thanks a mill for that KittyKat! How did you find the exam?

MissM89 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that KittyKat! How did you find the exam?

Pretty tough.... I'd say I got bout 2 and a half ok questions n the rest was pretty much waffle! :( oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭FE1 EXAMS 2013

Contract....

1. Offer and Acceptance
    2. Exclusion Clause
    3. Damages
    4. Mistake
    8. (a) Frustration

Fair play for this kittycatðŸ‘👠any chance you know what area came up in damages?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pow1987

Could anyone please post what came up in constitutional

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

Anyone have any idea what the contract examiner is like? Fair enough or...?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

i heard contract is marked tough enough.....that being said i got 50 on the head when i didnt think my answers were up to much....3 good 2 average...i say contract is another one of them that you have to do 5 for to pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Bayley1

This is only my first sitting but from looking at the exam reports she doesn't really like waffling or writing eveything you know about a topic she wants the answers directed towards the question....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Kildaregal

Well as contract is the only subject I have had to repeat I definitely think she is a very hard marker. But that's defo true wha bayley said..she hates waffle and writing all you know. Straight to the point is what she wants I think anyhow.

Kildaregal wrote: »
    Well as contract is the only subject I have had to repeat I definitely think she is a very hard marker. But that's defo true wha bayley said..she hates waffle and writing all you know. Straight to the point is what she wants I think anyhow.

What did you think of Fridays exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kildaregal

I thought it was tough but doable. I think all the fe1s are getting harder! I had done 3 fairly ok q's and 2 not as good and was happy enough until I realised 30 seconds before I had to hand it up that I had mistaken a AND b for a OR In q1!! Can't believe I did that. So I'm really glad I'm doing it again in April now! How did u find it??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dandadub

Anyone else sitting the exams in April finding it difficult to try predict what's coming up due to the March exams? What have Indo/City?Griffith had to say in their free classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

A bit off topic, but if one was to graduate from corp law this summer and was looking to take 4 FE1s in September, when would you need to begin properly studying for them? Roughly speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

rory16 wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but if one was to graduate from corp law this summer and was looking to take 4 FE1s in September, when would you need to begin properly studying for them? Roughly speaking.

The major difference between these exams and college exams in my opinion is that you are expected to know the whole course as opposed to a few areas in depth. With that in mind try and figure out your study schedule to suit and work though the topics and past questions. Depends on how many you are taking and which ones. EU law is going to take awhile longer than say property. Some people can study well with short time limits, others need longer. I've exams in April and have been studying since feb. Not intensely, compared with now. You should be able to gage how much time you need from college - best of luck with them! And they aren't that bad, they just require more work than college exams!!

On a side note would anyone be kind enough to send me on the march tort paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MissM89

dandadub wrote: »
    Anyone else sitting the exams in April finding it difficult to try predict what's coming up due to the March exams? What have Indo/City?Griffith had to say in their free classes?

Hi there, I totally agree with you, the two sets of exams has made predicting anything almost impossible. I know that two papers are generally prepared, i.e. one as a back up, but there is no way of knowing if that is the second paper or if there were two more prepared for the extra sitting. Its head wrecking really! I was in City Colleges and their tips were not specific to either set of exams really, but for one subject in particular - just going by what someone said here as I havnt seen the paper - the tips did not materialise at all which is a worry looking ahead to the next paper!

What subject are you studying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

CRM1 wrote: »
    The major difference between these exams and college exams in my opinion is that you are expected to know the whole course as opposed to a few areas in depth. With that in mind try and figure out your study schedule to suit and work though the topics and past questions. Depends on how many you are taking and which ones. EU law is going to take awhile longer than say property. Some people can study well with short time limits, others need longer. I've exams in April and have been studying since feb. Not intensely, compared with now. You should be able to gage how much time you need from college - best of luck with them! And they aren't that bad, they just require more work than college exams!!

On a side note would anyone be kind enough to send me on the march tort paper?

Cheers for that bit of insight. As I'll prob be starting an LLB in September aswell my choice is limited, I'll probably sit Contract, Constitutional, Tort and either Company or EU! Is there any benefit to the revision courses or are you best off just getting stuck in yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭CRM1

rory16 wrote: »
    Cheers for that bit of insight. As I'll prob be starting an LLB in September aswell my choice is limited, I'll probably sit Contract, Constitutional, Tort and either Company or EU! Is there any benefit to the revision courses or are you best off just getting stuck in yourself?

I'm doing a revision course with city colleges and I have found it invaluable. Largely because I haven't been near the subject in 6 years. My best advice to you would be to go for it choose the best subjects for you personally and start planning. If you commit to it seriously, plan your study, can't reiterate enough - cover the whole course, doesn't have to be in major detail, but as my thesis supervisor used to say at least to the point where you can explain the concepts to your mother over Sunday lunch - there is no reason you won't pass. The bottom line with these exams I find, you put the work in cover 90% at least of the course you are well on your way.

As for the ll.b it is manageable to do these in September on top of it and it doesn't mean you have to do them again in April. Decide what is best for you personally and take it from there!!

Fair play for this kittycatðŸ‘👠any chance you know what area came up in damages?

It was a general problem question.... Things that I wrote about were remoteness, mitigation, whether you can claim for emotional distress n double recovery....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Currently toying with the idea of leaving out injunctions for Equity. I already have notes done up on it but it's such a broad topic. I realise there are only a few ways they can ask questions on it but even then there is a fair bit to cover and it's quiet a complicated topic. Is leaving it out a definite no go? Does it often come up in more than one question? I am already leaving out purpose trusts and tracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

So what's everyone focusing on for Tort and Constitutional? Finding it really hard to narrow it down but I feel that I have a good grasp on the majority of the syllabus. However case names still won't get drilled into my brain.

My hopes for April

Tort: Trespass to person, passing off, defective products, negligence, employers or vicarious liability.

Constitutional: Separation of powers, Article 38.1, all the institutions, equality, property and livelihood, constitutional interpretation, referendum issues and judicial review principles.

http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/course/city-colleges-fe1-april-2014-exam-review-classes/

I've just e-mailed them there to ask about it. Would be great to be able to get it online. So stressed, I sat a few in March and have found it so hard to get back to studying the past week!

Hi I just wondered if you got a reply to your email?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Bayley1 wrote: »

When I e-mailed on Friday I just got an out of office reply saying they would be returning Monday the 31st, nothing yet this morning though. Hopefully hear something, I reckon those recordings would be a great help.

When I e-mailed on Friday I just got an out of office reply saying they would be returning Monday the 31st, nothing yet this morning though. Hopefully hear something, I reckon those recordings would be a great help.

Yeah they definitely would, I'm really beginning to stress out now. The more I stress out the less I actually do. At this stage I'm not sure if I'll even be able for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Legal125

Also wondering what people are covering as major ins for equity. The march paper would have been fine for me so now u dread in case the next paper is totally different..,:/

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Yeah they definitely would, I'm really beginning to stress out now. The more I stress out the less I actually do. At this stage I'm not sure if I'll even be able for them.

Just received a reply, they said they will book me in and the links will be sent out later today.

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Just received a reply, they said they will book me in and the links will be sent out later today.

Happy days.

I emailed them this morning in work, just got a reply there to say they have registered me for Company Law and links will be sent out later today.

Fair play to them, it will be good to look at the online lecture for the couple of hours rather than constant reading. Some of the stuff might go into the head and stick better, and possibly a better understanding of some of the areas.

Happy days.

I got an email too, it will be good to get an insight into last weeks papers and a break from reading :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

chops018 wrote: »
    I emailed them this morning in work, just got a reply there to say they have registered me for Company Law and links will be sent out later today.

Fair play to them, it will be good to look at the online lecture for the couple of hours rather than constant reading. Some of the stuff might go into the head and stick better, and possibly a better understanding of some of the areas.

how long were you waiting for a response chops?? i emailed this morning too so just wondering how long il be waiting??

alsol on a side note you wouldnt know anyone that would have the constitutional paper from the march sitting??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement